Officials Combat Road Accidents By Monk Prayers

Lite Beer

Officials Combat Road Accidents By Monk Prayers

13882124691388212515l.jpg

CHUMPON: Officials in Thung Tako district of Chumphon province have unveiled the latest tool to combat the notoriously large number of road accidents during New Year season: monk incantation.

District Director Wachira Pandusa led a merit making ceremony along a section of the Asian Highway Network, AH2, which runs through the province, in which a group of monks blessed holy water and sprayed the said substance on the road to chase away evil spirits which are believed to have caused frequent deaths and accidents on the road.

According to the officials, the eviction of bad spirits will prevent future accident and help boost the morale of motorists.

However, Mr. Wachira also stressed that road safety depends on the commuters′ caution and willingness to follow safe driving practice.

Volunteers from ′Stop Drink Network′ and a group of student reinforced the message by joining the ceremony to promote a campaign against drunk-driving habit during the festive season. The volunteers also organised a service stop at Khao Peeb Intersection where drivers are given wet napkins to refresh themselves.

“It is crucial not to drink and drive, not to drive too fast, and not to drive while you are too tired”, said Mr. Wachira, “Our district had prepared the service point to facilitate the drivers when they are looking for a stopover, and we had instructed officials to carefully monitor the roads to prevent any accidents.”

Reportedly, the authority also renamed the Asian Highway Network in the district area as “Mongkhol Road (Holy Road)”, to strengthen the luck of all commuters and passengers.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE9ESXhNalEyT1E9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2013-12-28

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to chase away evil spirits which are believed to have caused frequent deaths and accidents on the road.

I see these evil spirits daily on the roads of Phuket. The evil spirits tend to like black Fortuners.

lau kaow or lao kao ? or laow kaow... dammit i know how it goes in spoken thai but never got an agreement on the spelling version... now i have to add Laos Khow to the list... good grief

Never knew, my version from the fact it has areas from origin --the best the locals say is from Nong Khai label. Issan -Laos as the saying goes.

stinking stuff a gut rotter for sure and so powerful. many drink it with M150. or neat past around a group and drink when it gets to your turn--Favourite style.

Spoken up here in all districts, Lao cow. about right as the Thai speaks.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

lau kaow or lao kao ? or laow kaow... dammit i know how it goes in spoken thai but never got an agreement on the spelling version... now i have to add Laos Khow to the list... good grief

Never knew, my version from the fact it has areas from origin --the best the locals say is from Nong Khai label. Issan -Laos as the saying goes.

stinking stuff a gut rotter for sure and so powerful. many drink it with M150. or neat past around a group and drink when it gets to your turn--Favourite style.

Much prefer beer lao when up there. imo the finest beer in SE Aisa

• Like 1

englishoak, on 28 Dec 2013 - 14:05, said:englishoak, on 28 Dec 2013 - 14:05, said:

ohhh so now its the ghosts fault ? ............................. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight rolleyes.gif

As long as it is not the ignorance of Thai Drivers and the police's role to uphold the law........then it could be anybody else's fault.......even my grandfather's!

Edited by Costas2008

Hey, if they can have monks blessing the major airports to prevent accidents, why not a little stretch of roadway? Evil Spirits, eh...back in my old computer days we called them gremlins - which could always be traced back to some human's failure.

According to the officials, the eviction of bad spirits will prevent future accident and help boost the morale of motorists.

This is a very risky approach that could easily back-fire.

What if the number of deaths rises significantly compared with other years?

What will these officials say then?

• Like 1

It's true that evil spirits are to blame for most road accidents, mostly whiskey.

Thai white whisky, Loas Khow. This is the most favoured one they call Nong Khai label.

Suppose Monk prayers are a better bet, look at all the smashed up amulets in crashed vehicles.

But it is up to the individual, if he/she feels safer -good. Their driving plays a big part though.

The Thais have turned Buddism into EVIL spirits? Monks Prayers? So they say there is a super being and not "we are part of a greater universe as Buddah taught? What a load of CRAP. Just stupid, ill trained and non caring people behind wheels who have paid 300 baht for a license to control a mass murder machine.

As long as they arent colour blind. Those colour blind drivers are to blame for most of the accidents unless they are ruthlessly rooted out.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Methinks the most common prayer over this holiday season will be said a time or two as outlined below.whistling.gif .

A form of birth control, though highly ineffective.
Prayer: Please, please God, don't let me get pregnant. Oh Jesus, please let my period show up on time.w00t.gif
Edited by siampolee