Are head lice common in Thailand?

simon43

Is this something unique to my extended family and friends? They will sit and groom each other like a troup of chimpanzees, picking head lice out from each other's hair.

I accept that the younger children may well pick up head lice from other kids at kindergarten, but I find it strange that these adults seem to be infected with lice on a regular basis. They don't seem to find it at all unusual....

Although I often share their living facilities, I don't have head lice.... Why are they infected and not me?

Simon

• Like 1

They are common all over the world the US has between 5 and 12 million cases a year - head rests in buses, taxis, shared pillows, cold washing clothes, daily shampooing et al are just some of the reasons in Asia.

You may have oily hair which is a good thing, a simple inexpensive home remedy is full fat mayonaise - apply liberally and use a shower cap and leave on over night, Vaseline is another but a bugger to remove.

Adults here have itchy scalps caused by dandruff and often confuse the two - another home remedy is pure vinegar used for a couple of days full strength and left on for 15 minutes and washed. If you smell like a dill pickle lessen the soak time the next day.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ.......Where do you live?

Unlike body lice, head lice are not a health hazard, a sign of poor hygiene or a vector for disease, but are more a societal issue, the location is not important IMO, they are everywhere, just treated differently in the West with expensive chemical shampoo.

I, understand that, but I was surprised because I live in the heart of poor Isaan, in a village where poverty can be noticed everywhere....but after six years being here never encountered a scene as you describe it. " They will sit and groom each other like a troup of chimpanzees, picking head lice out from each other's hair."

Yes, my kids, in Greece, got head lice when they were at school and I know Thai school kids get them also, That's why schools insist on short hair for school kids.

But to that extend......never heard of it.

We've seen them as a regular problem, despite alert-emails by their schools & all attempts by parents to avoid them, in our kids while in Junior-school both overseas and here in Thailand.

But the problem seemed to go away, at the start of Senior-school, don't know why ?

I agree with Simon.

And have the same question...

All around me people. adults and children are constantly picking lice off each other's heads.

Even though my 5 year old who gets them from time to time, sleeps in the same bed with her mother and I, Ma and Pa never get them?

Why do we seem to be immune to the problem?

and No, my hair is not oily.

My wife says " People who eat much lice, get head rice!" cheesy.gif

One of my students has lice on her head. While I'm teaching she always touch her head and pull her hair and I asked her what are you doing? She said getting lice. I asked her again do you wash your hair everyday? She said no, and she can't afford to buy a shampoo and she has no parents to take care of her. She just living with old grandmother.

The next day I gave her shampoo, conditioner and soap. But too many students are getting jealous so I stop giving her anything.

Edited by Shancloudy

I too have had the problem of kids with headlice.

I have bought lice combs (nit combs??) but they remain unused.

Washing with lice shampoo and picking them off manually are the approved treatment method.

Yesterday, I was in a chemist in The Wonderful Land of Oz...and I saw an electronic jiggery thing, called a Robi Comb Electronic Lice Comb.

Cost 2000 baht.

Gawd....that's progress for yer???

Interestingly, I learned from their website, that nits usually occur from a line drawn between the ears, and down to the bottom of the back of the head.

Yes very common. Also pretty common back home - most primary classes in the US send a few notices home to parents every term. Difference there is it's the occasional exception so it makes sense to actually treat your kids with the chemical remedies when they happen to get them.

Problem is those used here are much stronger than what our drug regulators consider safe, especially for children.

Manual removal is actually the most sensible solution.

No big deal at all really.

if these thai people would wash there hair more often like falangs do. it would solve half the problem. but their to damm lazy to do it, whats up with that? every 3 days come on. they say not dirty.bs,, seating walking ard and there hair is not dirty.. pure lazyness period.

anyway, I train dogs, and to kill flea's use listerine, it will kill lice too. leave it on for like 5 mins, do this 3 days in a row. after u let it soak, rinse and shampoo ur hair. dont be lazy..

and blow dry ur hair too on hot setting, lice dont like the heat, you have to kill the eggs, listering will do this,, better than mayo,vinagar,up to you.

and after this treatment,, like the other guy said, use hot water to wash ur bedding,clothes whatever u have, and mix in a bottle of listerine,, HOT WATER!!!

• Like 1

The school aged kids get it ... sure.

Cutting the hair shorter reduces the risk because they transmit from from one head to another ... and a common way is when kids hair come into contact with another.

In the Thai Family I live with ... I've never seen the adults pick lice from their heads, nor any ?Adult with lice.

What I do see is them plucking the grey hairs out ...

Yeah, that was what I was told. They picking each others grey hairs out. Not lice.

I too have had the problem of kids with headlice.

I have bought lice combs (nit combs??) but they remain unused.

Washing with lice shampoo and picking them off manually are the approved treatment method.

Yesterday, I was in a chemist in The Wonderful Land of Oz...and I saw an electronic jiggery thing, called a Robi Comb Electronic Lice Comb.

Cost 2000 baht.

Gawd....that's progress for yer???

Interestingly, I learned from their website, that nits usually occur from a line drawn between the ears, and down to the bottom of the back of the head.

My pharmacist in Papua New Guinea sold me a bottle of head lice remover. Only had to stay on for 10 minutes, then wash it and the bugs out. Worked a treat.

Head lice was very common in the villages, and combing for head lice was a regular thing. If it got too bad, the guys shaved their head!

It was the least of our worries, as we had scabies (skin burrowing bugs), fungal skin infections and malaria to contend with.

A trip to a Thai pharmacy is sure to fix the problem of head lice.

Are you certain they are picking out head lice or just picking out the little white hairs that cause them itching problems.I have never seen this phenom anywhere else but THailand but our women folk also do it religiously,and have even drafted myself on occasion to assist, to the point that I am becoming quite adept at finding the crooked little buggers and plucking them out..

We have the problem in Australia too of course. My wife's kids got them and were amazed at the size of them. Apparently very large by Thai standards? Go figure?

Anyways, my wife got her mum to send some white crystalline stuff (no, no!) that smells like camphor but I'm not sure what it is? Came in a small plastic zip lock bag with no label. Just mix with water, rinse and leave on your hair for an hour or so under a shower cap and the lice are toast and seem to stay away for quite some time. Its cheap, the odour isn't offensive and doesn't linger too long either. Not sure of toxicity but the kids are ok, so far. Maybe someone knows what this stuff is?

Edited by avander
  • Like 1

Perhaps you should teach your family some basic hygine principles Simon

No, I won't do that. This is the extended family of an ex-wife. It is absolutely not my problem....

In some cases, the adults are picking out white hairs from each other. But they are also picking out headlice.

I have suggested to them that they all shave their heads, but for some reason that suggestion was not acted upon. So I started this thread merely to comment on the fact, not to seek a solution.

Simon

Apparently, the best thing to give is a lice comb.

Then some shampoo which will kill the lice eggs.

Ordinary shampoo just cleans the hair and actually makes it more attractive for the Lice ... apparently.

Unfortunately, there is no shampoo or other type of chemical that can kill the eggs.

One of the reasons head lice is getting more common is that many strains of lice are now resistent to what used to be efficient substances for treating lice.

The problem with head lice is not just the treatment itself. Terminating an outbreak in a school requires a coordinated effort involving every child and their families, understandably an almost impossible task; it doesn't matter if you delouse your kids completely if others dont give a flying fig.

A really good lice comb, a bottle of conditioner to make the combing easier combined with a lot of patience and about 4 hours of time (for a girl with waste long hair) and it's all sorted.

• Like 1

I think any where the kids pick up head lice at school that is why they keep it short.As they get older they are looking for grey hairs

Picking the grey hairs is true. Have told my wife to stop and use a shampoo dye as the hair picking is starting to produce a bald spot.

None of the pharmacies I use in BKK stock any medication or even medicated shampoo for head lice.