Recent Experience Retirement Extension - Samut Sakhon

Went in November for my second extension on retirement visa. Arrived about 2:30 PM. We called before going to see if we went that late in the day could they process. Said they could finish in 30 minutes if everything in order.

I'm using pension income, but first thing they requested was a bank letter verifying funds. The lady we were talking to seemed new. She left and came back. Think she had to verify that a pension alone was acceptable. She had a tablet she was making hand written notes. The whole office seemed to have new people. Many more in uniform.

Last year I used a combination of pension and money for my first extension. It was my understanding that aging of the money was not required when using a combination, so deposited the required funds the day before. Not only did they require aging, but required that it be aged the 3 months rather than than the 2 months for a first time extension. I tried to point out where the law says no aging, but they did not agree with my findings. Since it was my first extension, they were nice enough to let the aging slide the first time, but next year they would not. Had enough pension income this year that I did not need the combination method.

Last year I did the 90 day address reporting and the extension in the same office. This year I had to go across the hall to another office to do the 90 day.

I tried to use an unsigned and undated scanned copy of last years extension form to save time and effort. They would not accept, so had to fill out a whole new form by hand.

This year I had to sign a form in Thai that I did not do last year. Could not read it, but my Thai wife seemed to be okay with it. May regret it later. Who knows. Still do not know what I signed.

This year I had to provide the name and address of who I worked for last in the states and my profession. Do not remember doing that last year. Also had to provide the names of my parents and where they lived. Again, do not remember them asking for that last year.

Thai people who have foreigners living on their property have to report a list of the names, passport numbers, etc annually. My wife owns the land we live on and the house is owned by her mother. Last year we had to provide that form, but my wife was able to fill out the form and sign in the office. This year her mother had to do it. Apparently it must be the home owner who is required to do the annual reporting. This required us to make another trip, but they did give me the extension rather than waiting on the report. Maybe one doesn't have anything to do with the other. Not sure.

I'm guessing that it took about 2 hours plus another trip. The trip back was just dropping off the form, but about an hour and a half drive there and back.