Should Thailand tax junk food to help fight obesity?

Jingthing

Thais getting FATTER all the time ...  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

reduce the WINE tax because wine is good for you.

Oh No it ain't.

Anything (drink) that contains alcohol will terminate your life prematurely

If you're an alcoholic. Anyway, this is off topic. Perhaps start a thread in the health forum to "debate" your point.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reduce the WINE tax because wine is good for you.

Oh No it ain't.

Anything (drink) that contains alcohol will terminate your life prematurely

If you're an alcoholic. Anyway, this is off topic. Perhaps start a thread in the health forum to "debate" your point.

White rice only hurts you if you're fat, what's the difference?

The Tax Poem....

Tax his land,

Tax his bed,

Tax the table

At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,

Tax his mule,

Teach him taxes

Are the rule.

Tax his work,

Tax his pay,

He works for peanuts Anyway!

Tax his cow,

Tax his goat,

Tax his pants,

Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,

Tax his shirt,

Tax his work,

Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,

Tax his drink,

Tax him if he

Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,

Tax his beers,

If he cries

Tax his tears.

Tax his car,

Tax his gas,

Find other ways

To tax his ..... ass.

Tax all he has

Then let him know

That you won't be done

Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;

Then tax him some more,

Tax him till

He's good and sore.

Then Tax his coffin,

Tax his grave,

Tax the sod in

Which he's laid.

Put these words

Upon his tomb,

Taxes drove me to my doom...'

When he's gone,

Do not relax,

Its time to apply

The inheritance tax.

Few Other Taxes Include:

Accounts Receivable Tax

Airline surcharge tax

Airline Fuel Tax

Airport Maintenance Tax

Building Permit Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Death Tax

Dog License Tax

Driving Permit Tax

Excise Taxes

Federal Income Tax

Federal Unemployment (UI)

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Petrol Tax (too much per litre)

Gross Receipts Tax

Health Tax

Hunting License Tax

Hydro Tax

Inheritance Tax

Interest Tax

Liquor Tax

Luxury Taxes

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Mortgage Tax

Personal Income Tax

Property Tax

Poverty Tax

Prescription Drug Tax

Property Tax

Provincial Income Tax

Real Estate Tax

Recreational Vehicle Tax

Retail Sales Tax

Service Charge Tax

School Tax

Telephone Tax

Telephone, Provincial and Local Surcharge Taxes

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax

Vehicle License Registration Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Water Tax

Watercraft Registration Tax

Well Permit Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY? Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world.We had absolutely no national debt, had a large middle class, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What in the hell happened?

Can you spell 'Politicians?

^^ I don't see a fat tax in there.

Lard should be brutally taxed.

Leave it up to JingThing. He's working on it. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

If I had the chance to do this poll again, I would make the topic about general REGULATION rather than taxation. Regulations of course can include taxation but the word taxes seems to be an irrational hot button for many people. Regulations could be about laws governing what ingredients are put in common commercial foods, what amounts, and about honest LABELING.

Edited by Jingthing

Is there no place where meddlers and control freaks will not go? Stop it already with the social engineering through government taxation and regulation. Tax upon tax upon tax to make everyone fit into someone's manipulative view of what the world ought to look like. I don't like to see obese people either but it isn't any of my business what they eat or what they look like. Besides, I accept them for who they are, the kind of person they are, and not what they look like.

It's not about acceptance of who and what they are from a government's perspective though. Where there is a government/taxpayer funded medical/hospital system in place, it must be funded, and with increasing levels of obesity comes increased cost, and that's apart from the lifestyle issues. A fit and healthy population is a happier and more productive population.

A government has every right, in fact it is incumbent upon a government, to do whatever is necessary to prevent levels of obesity increasing. I'm not sure taxing or increasing tax on particular types of food is all that effective, although it may be marginally so, but advertising campaigns have proven to be more so, so I support any action in that direction, but it must be funded. I see no better way than taxing the cause of that obesity, but in Australia our stupid governments would probably single out lean, healthy and wealthy people to screw.

Is there no place where meddlers and control freaks will not go? Stop it already with the social engineering through government taxation and regulation. Tax upon tax upon tax to make everyone fit into someone's manipulative view of what the world ought to look like. I don't like to see obese people either but it isn't any of my business what they eat or what they look like. Besides, I accept them for who they are, the kind of person they are, and not what they look like.

It's not about acceptance of who and what they are from a government's perspective though. Where there is a government/taxpayer funded medical/hospital system in place, it must be funded, and with increasing levels of obesity comes increased cost, and that's apart from the lifestyle issues. A fit and healthy population is a happier and more productive population.

A government has every right, in fact it is incumbent upon a government, to do whatever is necessary to prevent levels of obesity increasing. I'm not sure taxing or increasing tax on particular types of food is all that effective, although it may be marginally so, but advertising campaigns have proven to be more so, so I support any action in that direction, but it must be funded. I see no better way than taxing the cause of that obesity, but in Australia our stupid governments would probably single out lean, healthy and wealthy people to screw.

Ok.

For the libertarians, 2% off your social security if you are at target weight or below, 2% penalty if you are obese or 1%,if overweight.

Just watch the pounds fall off

• Like 1

My personal opinion, if a little harsh, is that people who contribute to their own ill health should be denied medical treatment at state expense.

It's not a little harsh. It's cruel and inhumane. But typical far right winger ideology.

Any treatment should be based around trying/insisting that the person also change their lifestyle to reduce chances of further injury.

If you want to take up extreme sport I'm not sure there is much of a case for the state putting you back together over and over again.

If you smoke its fair enough that the state try also to get you to stop before they give u a heart transplant. Likewise liver treaments for alcoholics.

If you have to call out mountain rescue 20 times I'm sure eventually they'd make you pay.

I don't think the Australian authorities would be forcing anybody to pay for being rescued. They justify the expense on the grounds of having experienced and ready emergency service personnel, and it's probably not a bad argument.

An Australian businessman, Dick Smith, had an interesting view on that issue. Anybody undertaking anything that could be seen as highly risky, single handed sailing round the world for example, should have that activity assessed, and the availability of search and rescue services depends on the rating given. If it's at the high end, for example seen as /high risk foolhardy, then no attempt is made to rescue, therefore no resources are wasted.

At the end of the day, somebody has to pay for people's excesses, and I find it offensive that the taxpayer is hit time and again because people can't, or refuse to, exercise self control. Incidentally Jingthing, you didn't respond to my question regarding self control, conveniently skipping over it.

We need adventurers and crusaders, but not if it's going to be an imposition on the resources of the country, just as we don't need obesity if it will be a drain on the resources.

I like your theory Thai at Heart, but the problem is that most of those who are obese aren't contributing to the social security system, they are the beneficiaries of the social security system!! Obesity, like smoking, is largely the domain of the lower/est socio economic/intellectual group.

Edited by F4UCorsair

If I had the chance to do this poll again, I would make the topic about general REGULATION rather than taxation. Regulations of course can include taxation but the word taxes seems to be an irrational hot button for many people. Regulations could be about laws governing what ingredients are put in common commercial foods, what amounts, and about honest LABELING.

If you had the chance to do this poll again, I wish you'd just refrain.

I have enough government meddling in my life and taxing me already, thank you just the same. smile.png

My personal opinion, if a little harsh, is that people who contribute to their own ill health should be denied medical treatment at state expense.

It's not a little harsh. It's cruel and inhumane. But typical far right winger ideology.
Any treatment should be based around trying/insisting that the person also change their lifestyle to reduce chances of further injury.

If you want to take up extreme sport I'm not sure there is much of a case for the state putting you back together over and over again.

If you smoke its fair enough that the state try also to get you to stop before they give u a heart transplant. Likewise liver treaments for alcoholics.

If you have to call out mountain rescue 20 times I'm sure eventually they'd make you pay.

I don't think the Australian authorities would be forcing anybody to pay for being rescued. They justify the expense on the grounds of having experienced and ready emergency service personnel, and it's probably not a bad argument.

An Australian businessman, Dick Smith, had an interesting view on that issue. Anybody undertaking anything that could be seen as highly risky, single handed sailing round the world for example, should have that activity assessed, and the availability of search and rescue services depends on the rating given. If it's at the high end, for example seen as /high risk foolhardy, then no attempt is made to rescue, therefore no resources are wasted.

At the end of the day, somebody has to pay for people's excesses, and I find it offensive that the taxpayer is hit time and again because people can't, or refuse to, exercise self control. Incidentally Jingthing, you didn't respond to my question regarding self control, conveniently skipping over it.

We need adventurers and crusaders, but not if it's going to be an imposition on the resources of the country, just as we don't need obesity if it will be a drain on the resources.

I like your theory Thai at Heart, but the problem is that most of those who are obese aren't contributing to the social security system, they are the beneficiaries of the social security system!! Obesity, like smoking, is largely the domain of the lower/est socio economic/intellectual group.

Well, I don't disagree. At the end of the day,,expecting everyone to be responsbile when you have a government provided health system is largely impossible and saying that is not the government responsibility is stretching societal care for a fellow being.

I would rather they actually taxed horrendously unhealthy things heavily since by definition they tend to be almost hesonistically pleasurable. Hell, some of them are illegal.

I think people who have a love of chocolate eclairs are probably no less addicted than someone one tobacco or stronger drugs. Dopameine is a very powerful thing.

Expecting everyone to be 100%,responsible all the time is a bit futile I believe, and presumably its better to incentivise and reward being fit and healthy than NOT being unhealthy. Is there VAT on gym memberships? If so? Why?

In fact why should there be any sales tax whatsowver on genuine sports equipment? Exercise should of all things be encouraged as infinitum.

Edited by Thai at Heart

One of the reasons I like to stay in Thailand is that most things are still under the "common sense" law.

Walk down the street, watch where you walk instead of endlessly nattering away on a mobile phone, and avoid the hole in the pavement.

Start imposing crazy laws on people and there will be no end to it, as we currently see in Aus.

It is now of such proportions here, especially in the workplace, that the cost to the end user is astrononical.

Not to mention that less and less work is being done on the job at hand and more on paperwork to cover ones ass.

It is now common that no one person knows exactly what is required, and the only way is to blunder on each day and wait for some "official" to flout his newfound knowledge.

This usually means an apology for being so "uneducated" with respect to the job. (after 40 years mind you)

I say if someone wants to eat a fat burger, let them.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I like to stay in Thailand is that most things are still under the "common sense" law.

Walk down the street, watch where you walk instead of endlessly nattering away on a mobile phone, and avoid the hole in the pavement.

Start imposing crazy laws on people and there will be no end to it, as we currently see in Aus.

It is now of such proportions here, especially in the workplace, that the cost to the end user is astrononical.

Not to mention that less and less work is being done on the job at hand and more on paperwork to cover ones ass.

It is now common that no one person knows exactly what is required, and the only way is to blunder on each day and wait for some "official" to flout his newfound knowledge.

This usually means an apology for being so "uneducated" with respect to the job. (after 40 years mind you)

Don't worry, lefty only wants what's best for you. If that is contrary to what YOU want, so be it.

• Like 1

I suppose you want people working for $5 a day and wearing thongs on construction sites down in Oz too? That's one of the 'common sense' rules the have here in Thailand.

And though it is a serious topic, what does age discrimination in the workplace have to do with this topic?

Did you really say you think that common sense law prevails in Thailand. The country where thousands of people die every year because they can't be taught how to drive or how to wear a helmet. Or the one where buses run with bare tyres and drivers high on ya baa.

I mean honestly. Shouldn't we just accept that sometimes some (not all) people are too stupid for their own good and they need a little help.

Thailand, the land of common sense?

Here endeth the quote to end all quotes for 2013.

Watch that hole, it could fill with water and the electricity zap you just standing next to the hole.

Edited by Thai at Heart

For so many posters here it's a given that government provides health insurance, and therefore has a right to dictate what they do with their body.

I'm not willing to give up my liberty for (perceived) security, and I think you're a bunch of cowards who are afraid to take care of yourselves. I also think you're a bunch of shaking, nosy old ladies who want to control everyone else's lives.

I have a suggestion for you. Fk off and let me breath the fresh air of liberty. hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

Still friends? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Get your hand off it.

No one is dictating how anyone acts. Only that they pay for the consequences they cause. You blokes are all about personal liberty, but when your actions affect others, you are more than happy to show them the middle finger.

For so many posters here it's a given that government provides health insurance, and therefore has a right to dictate what they do with their body.

I'm not willing to give up my liberty for (perceived) security, and I think you're a bunch of cowards who are afraid to take care of yourselves. I also think you're a bunch of shaking, nosy old ladies who want to control everyone else's lives.

I have a suggestion for you. Fk off and let me breath the fresh air of liberty. hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

Get your hand off it.

No one is dictating how anyone acts. Only that they pay for the consequences they cause. You blokes are all about personal liberty, but when your actions affect others, you are more than happy to show them the middle finger.

And when their actions affect themselves, they are happy to jump on the gravy train and suck up whatever resources are available like an addict with a line of cocaine!!

They wouldn't be the first when afflicted with something serious, to take a flight home for free treatment, even though they hadn't lived there, or contributed a bean to the welfare system, for years .

Edited by F4UCorsair

Get your hand off it.

Lefty is telling me I HAVE to buy insurance, and I HAVE to buy it from him.

Is that not lefty giving ME the finger?

Get your hand off it.

And when their actions affect themselves, they are happy to jump on the gravy train and suck up whatever resources are available like an addict with a line of cocaine!!

They wouldn't be the first when afflicted with something serious, to take a flight home for free treatment, even though they hadn't lived there, or contributed a bean to the welfare system, for years .

That's why I'm for cutting off the gravy train and letting people walk, or hitch...

I think they should tax white rice as well and encourage eating BROWN rice with economic incentives. The key is the Thai youth. Any child that become obese is highly probable to be fated to be obese for life, a shorter life.

While they're at it they should seriously reduce the WINE tax because wine is good for you.

Sounds like a wino to me. I believe it is one glass with your meal.

Also why not put the responsability on parents to teach the children from the git go what is good for them and what is not good for them. If you want a nanny state you are in the wrong country. Take your culture else where. Many of us moved here to escape a nanny state and I am sure the Thai's are not looking for one.