Should Thailand tax junk food to help fight obesity?

Jingthing

Thais getting FATTER all the time ...  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If the junk food leads to strains on the public health budget, and decreases productivity, then yes.

Social engineering is too strong a term. There are economic incentives and disincentives in everything that we do, and you wouldn't necessarily call it social engineering.

Governments using taxation to make people pay for the costs they might soon incur on the state it perfectly fair in my book.

So why not tax the garbage that is dished out ever day in LOS instead of just picking on the big boys. ?

Does one have to exclude the other ?

Well if you tax everything Thailand will be expensive like Europe.....

I am not much in favor of taxing things to be honest. But i mean saying something is wrong because there is an other wrong in the country just doe snot fly.

I hope for more education about weight issues but the education here is bad as is.

• Like 1

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope for more education about weight issues but the education here is bad as is.

But that doesn't work!

I'm interested in things that actually work.

I know that's what people ALWAYS say, better education. But again, it doesn't work.

Emphasis in Thailand should be on REGULATION.

5. We can conquer obesity through better education about diet and nutrition.. We can conquer obesity through better education about diet and nutrition.

According to a physicians’ health study, 44 percent of male doctors are overweight. A study by the University of Maryland School of Nursing found that 55 percent of nurses surveyed were overweight or obese. If people who provide health care cannot control their weight, why would nutrition education alone make a difference for others?

Similarly, if Americans did not live in a world filled with buffets, cheap fast food, soft drinks with corn syrup, and too many foods with excess fat, salt and sugar, the incidence of obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes probably would plummet. Education can help, but what’s really needed is regulation — for example, limits on marketing that caters to our addiction to sugar and fat.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-obesity/2013/12/27/cd7f5b3a-69c4-11e3-8b5b-a77187b716a3_story.html

BTW, this snippet addresses the other poster's assertion that it's all about sedentary lifestyles. Nope, it mostly is about FOOD intake!

There is compelling evidence that the increase in calories consumed explains the rise in obesity. The National Health and Nutrition Examination found that people take in, on average, more than 500 more calories per day now than they did in the late 1970s, before obesity rates accelerated.That’s like having Christmas dinner twice a week or more. It wouldn’t be a problem if we stuffed ourselves only once a year, but all-you-can-eat feasts are now available all the time. It’s nearly impossible for most of us to exercise enough to burn off these excess calories.
Edited by Jingthing

Will eat what I want to eat,spent years cutting weight,now I'm free to eat whatever and I'm doing it with pleasure.

Not sure how that is relevant to this discussion but happy you are enjoying your food. Food is a great pleasure in life, no doubt.

To be clear, the topic isn't about BANNING unhealthy processed / sugary foods but taxing them more and also making the healthier food choices at least RELATIVELY more affordable.

Edited by Jingthing

I've never seen a fat Thai. They all look rather malnourished to me.

You live where in Thailand? coffee1.gif

post-37101-0-47438800-1388345593_thumb.j

http://yourhealth.asiaone.com/content/booze-obesity-cause-most-early-deaths-among-thais

Professor Dr Veerasak said this study would suggest the government should work to reduce alcohol and cigarette consumption among the population. The study also showed the government should control unhealthy food and beverage products that would affect people's health.

http://isaannews.com/nakhon-ratchasima-moving-toward-obesity-too-bad-thai-people-are-too-fat/

Seventeen million Thais aged under 15 are obese or suffer from metabolic syndrome – symptoms that lead to non-contagious chronic diseases.
He said these ailments cost Thailand about Bt300 billion in medical treatment each year.

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/news/13210.html

BANGKOK - Department of Health deputy director-general Theerapol Topanthanont said on Monday that about one in five Thai preschoolers and one in 10 children of school age may suffer from obesity by 2015 because they are not getting proper nutrition.

Is Thailand as bad off as Mexico, Australia, the USA, and the UK with obesity yet? Nope. But that's where they are headed!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Jingthing, on 29 Dec 2013 - 19:24, said:Jingthing, on 29 Dec 2013 - 19:24, said:

Seventeen million Thais aged under 15 are obese or suffer from metabolic syndrome – symptoms that lead to non-contagious chronic diseases.

They must all be hiding because I still haven't seen any obese Thais.

I regularly feed my in-laws high protein, high fat foods to improve their health. They don't look so gaunt on the Western diet.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Professor Dr Veerasak said this study would suggest the government should work to reduce alcohol and cigarette consumption among the population. The study also showed the government should control unhealthy food and beverage products that would affect people's health.

Professor Dr Veerasak? This is a wind-up. A Professor isn't a doctor. This sounds like some made up name and credentials.

My wife doesn't drink or smoke and neither does her family.

Edited by wooloomooloo

I don't think one family represents all of Thailand.

That's quite offensive, actually. You insinuate that my wife's family aren't normal.

You stick to your baht buses driving endlessly round in circles on the Pattaya loop, getting in to fights with the drivers and upsetting the Russians.

Edited by wooloomooloo

High Fructose Corn Syrup is evil stuff

Also, so very cheap so it's everywhere.

Considering it basically is being dumped into our diet in huge volume, I can't help feeling that the consequences are going to be be pretty bad. Basically, as far as I can see , it is not even remotely close to a normal diet to have this much fructose in a diet.

• Like 1

I don't think one family represents all of Thailand.

That's quite offensive, actually. You insinuate that my wife's family aren't normal.

You stick to your baht buses driving endlessly round in circles on the Pattaya loop, getting in to fights with the drivers and upsetting the Russians.

Are you having a laugh?

You don't tell me what to stick to and I won't tell you what to stick to; do we have a deal?

Again, it is not logically possible for any one family to represent an entire nation.

You'd need a MUCH LARGER sample.

Nothing personal, dude.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You know it's actually debatable that HFCS is really that much worse than plain sugar. But it doesn't really matter. Thai people are getting too much of both. That also includes other unhealthy INDIRECT sugar sources such as WHITE rice.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/high-fructose-corn-syrup-vs-sugar/2013/06/18/fdbedb90-c488-11e2-914f-a7aba60512a7_story.html

Recently concerns have been raised about potential health consequences of high-fructose corn syrup. But there’s insufficient science to vilify it. “Human studies, though short-term and small, consistently show no different impact on measures of health compared with other sugars. Though it’d be nice to have more research, we can confidently say people’s health will benefit most from limiting all sources of calorie-containing sweeteners,” says Cindy Fitch, a nutrition professor at West Virginia University and co-author of an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics position paper on the topic.
Edited by Jingthing

You know it's actually debatable that HFCS is really that much worse than plain sugar. But it doesn't really matter. Thai people are getting too much of both. That also includes other unhealthy INDIRECT sugar sources such as WHITE rice.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/high-fructose-corn-syrup-vs-sugar/2013/06/18/fdbedb90-c488-11e2-914f-a7aba60512a7_story.html

Recently concerns have been raised about potential health consequences of high-fructose corn syrup. But theres insufficient science to vilify it. Human studies, though short-term and small, consistently show no different impact on measures of health compared with other sugars. Though itd be nice to have more research, we can confidently say peoples health will benefit most from limiting all sources of calorie-containing sweeteners, says Cindy Fitch, a nutrition professor at West Virginia University and co-author of an Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics position paper on the topic.

I read the same stuff. Basically no one knows precisely what the result is going to be. However, if companies had to use processed sugar instead of HFCS sugar would be considerably more expensive and thus would be used far less.

• Like 1

Yep. That's the big issue, the cheapness and pervasiveness of HFCS in almost everything. Even (especially) foods labelled low fat "healthy" are usually full of HFCS. How are the non-rich masses supposed to deal with this? They eat what tastes nice and is cheap and everywhere. End of story. POLICIES from governments can change this.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Like rhythm and melody, diet and exercise is a far more sensible answer.

I quite like this Jingle ... there is some thing about it.

The evolution of food does mimic the evolution of mankind.

I say, eat drink and be Mary ... which in Thailand is quite possible ... w00t.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

Thailand should increase the minimum monthly pension income to 500000 Baht for those farangs who promote a Nanny state.

So what do you propose to do to stop the tidal wave of obesity in Thailand?

I propose that it is not your business. If you want to stay slim, then just do it and let other people do what they want.

Anyway, there isn't a tidal wave. If you are bored, read a book.

why is it not our business? the main purpose of us Farangs here in Thailand is to support, propose and advice the Thai government and whatever Thai authority exists on methods how to improve the country and the well being of its citizens.

moreover, the above-mentioned activities solve partially our problem of being bored to death coffee1.gif

• Like 2