Which Is The Best Visa Type ?

Hi to all experts,

I would like to know what is the best visa type for someone who wants to live forever in Thailand. From reading this forum it seems that marriage (support a wife) and retirement visa are long term visas. My main questions are:

1) What happens if your Thai wife dies before you, which means you stop to support her ? Do you have to leave the country ?

2) Do you have to renew your retirement visa each year or only for three years, and what type of visa you get after three years ?

3) What is your best suggestion to ensure I can live in Thailand for all my life ?

Thank you

box

1. You would have to change your extension of stay status to some other criteria, such as retirement, or return to using visa entry.

2. You extend your stay for retirement on a yearly basis for the time you stay in Thailand.

3. Be born Thai.

Thanks.

As I understand I can get permanent resident status after three years of retirement visa. I have few questions:

1) While staying in Thailand on a tourist visa can I ask for retirement visa and is it easier than to ask in my country ?

2) If it is possible (1) do I need the same documents issued in my country (police clearence, health certifucate and bank certificate) ?

3) Can this be done in Chiang Mai too or only in Bangkok ?

Thanks

box

1. Money must be in Thailand for application in Thailand. O-A multi entry seems to allow up to two years before a local extension is required so has that advantage. As we do not know your country it is kind of hard to speculate.

2. Not if doing in Thailand. You get medical/bank documents here.

3. Believe it can be done anywhere these days.

FYI: under present guidelines do not believe you have much of a chance to obtain PR on a retirement extension of stay.

I have a retirement visa and am satisfied that is the best way for me. If I were a young man and had to look at making a living here I would try to get a permanent resident visa. I am married to a Thai national but have still opted for the retirement visa because it has been very easy for me to get. I am still a cynic and getting a visa that is dependent on my wife doesn't set well with me. I have heard no answers form the guys regarding a divorce when they obtained a PR visa while married. The same complications apply to the support (marriage) visa.

under present guidelines do not believe you have much of a chance to obtain PR on a retirement extension of stay.

Thanks Lopburi and what do you mean ?

box

I mean exactly what I said. You are not likely to obtain PR on a retirement extension of stay. PR is not automatic and you must qualify with language/social standing/tax payments etc. If you are retired you do not have a job and will not be paying tax so unless you have exceptional qualifications in other factors the odds are not good for PR under the present criteria.