Black magic, or sorcery, in LOS. Believe in it?

quiuvo

My daughter was hit by a car and killed when she was 18 years old. It happened many years ago. At the time my life turned in to a nightmare. A month after her death unexplainable tings started to happen to me and my wife in our home. Light went on by itself. TV or radio started without anyone touching anything. The scent of her perfume was suddenly in our car. Watches behaved abnormally. At one time clicking sounds started in our kitchen around 9 PM every evening, but stopped if I called her name. The sound was not there if we had friends or family visiting us, but then it would start after we went to bed. After 2 years it stopped and the sound never came back.

No, it was never frightening but it told us that there are much more than what our 5 senses normally tell us and it helped us to get through our grief.

Although I do not think it is possible to cast a spell on someone.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe one should keep an open mind - there are a lot of places in the world where magic is believed in - it is not just Thailand.

I have not personally experienced any, but if I did , I would take a bloody good look before I dismissed it out of hand.

Everybody who stayed over-night in my apartment was convinced there was a ghost there. Ex-girlfriend. Two kids I looked after for a while. The maid. They all (independently) talked about seeing some woman walking through the apartment at night. I didn't believe it.

One night I woke to find the dogs growling at something and then barking. Opening my eyes I saw the woman walk out through the bedroom door. I'm fairly sure I was still dreaming- one of those half-awake lucid dreams that feel real but aren't.

I don't believe in God, the devil, ghosts, monsters, spirits or any of that. I do sometimes sleep with the bedside light on though...

A load of old bolony.I trust and believe in God and God alone,and through my belief, God has blessed me with a most fortunate life and is sufficent for me.

You use the term "old baloney", yet you refer to your "god" and your "belief" in the same sentence? Good one.

• Like 2

Buddha said "If you can't prove it, don't believe it".

There is a lot of hoky poky going on here that many people are very convinced of, I'm skeptical if you research some of the symptoms than there is a logical or medical explanation for what people contribute to ghost and witchcraft.

A load of old bolony.I trust and believe in God and God alone,and through my belief, God has blessed me with a most fortunate life and is sufficent for me.

Christianity.... the most dangerous and harmful superstition ever known to human kind.

• Like 1

Magic...

When people believe in it, they react to it and it influences their actions.

Their actions influence the actions of others as well.

This alone makes magic real and something that influences believers and non believers alike.

Look at the superstition called Christianity and how it has impacted the lives of believers and non believers world wide.

The effects of magic can be tragic!

Buddha said "If you can't prove it, don't believe it".

There is a lot of hoky poky going on here that many people are very convinced of, I'm skeptical if you research some of the symptoms than there is a logical or medical explanation for what people contribute to ghost and witchcraft.

The above is not a real Buddha quote and it is misleading.

Here is the real one:

“Now, Kalamas, don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness’ — then you should enter & remain in them."

The Buddha is talking to some people who live near his home country. These people, the Kalamas, are confused by the multiplicity of teachings that they hear. Many teachers arrive, who extoll their own teachings and disparage the teachings of others. And the Kalamas want to know, “Which of these venerable brahmans and contemplatives are speaking the truth, and which ones are lying?”

The Buddha’s reply is very full, but it’s clear he says that “reason” (logical conjecture, inference, analogies, agreement through pondering views) and “common sense” (probability) are not sufficient bases for determining what the truth is. It’s not that these things should be discarded, but ultimately it’s experience and the opinion of the wise that is our guide.

So this brings up at least two questions:

1. If experience is to be our guide, does that mean we have to test out every theory and practice? No. If a teacher says something like “taking drugs is the path to happiness” you don’t have to try drugs. Your experience includes observation of other people’s experience, so that if you have seen others suffering through taking drugs you don’t have to repeat their mistakes.

2. Who is to say who the wise are? You are. Through your experience (see point 1, above). Who have you found to be reliable and insightful in the past? They’re the wise. Now you don’t have to take everything they say as being the absolute truth. You can use your reason, your common sense, and your experience as a guide. Not all of “the wise” will agree, for example, so you’re still going to have to figure things out for yourself ultimately.

It’s this second criterion that is often overlooked.

Taken from http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com

Good for you, but if you are serious, aren't sorcery, black magic, ghosts and spirits, voodoo, superstition and religion also just beliefs - things in your head?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

The OP mentions a spell or a curse. You need to analyze exactly why you are with your current lady, from your own point of view. Have you asked her if she believes in sorcery? If so, what particular aspect? And then ask her if she did "cast a spell", presumably with the help of a shaman, concerning yourself. Might make an interesting conversation.

And then get back to us with what you learn. Happy New Year.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

The OP mentions a spell or a curse. You need to analyze exactly why you are with your current lady, from your own point of view. Have you asked her if she believes in sorcery? If so, what particular aspect? And then ask her if she did "cast a spell", presumably with the help of a shaman, concerning yourself. Might make an interesting conversation.

And then get back to us with what you learn. Happy New Year.

I was ok with old girlfriend but met this new one and enjoyed her company. I told her about my ex's comments and she got really angry and told me to leave. She believes in it but said she never thought of using it. I don't want to leave her. She does everything I want and gives me some freedom.

My experience is that people who believe only in science and are atheists are far more narrow minded than people who believe that there are things in life we just can't rationalize and reduce with science.

I value science for its great achievements, but it's wrong to apply those scientific rules to everything. Once these people can't get a straight and easily digestible answer, they simply declare that such phenomena don't exist.

This, in my opinion, is in stark contrast to what a scientific mind should do...keep an open mind and explore all possibilities, as far fetched as they might seem.

Remember, we only have a tiny part of the truth, so when you say "There's no life after death", you should mark this as your personal opinion and not declare it as an absolute truth, because in the end, you have no way of knowing.

I agree. As a physicist I understand that science is about acquiring knowledge and understanding by the use of reproduceable experimentation. This is fine when examining physical phenomena but anything that exists outside the familiar dimensions of time and space is not amenable to physical investigation. Only a closed mind would consider that science has all the answers.

I agree with you there. Some people seem to regard science as some kind of blanket term that can be thrown on everything in order to explain the unexplained.

It's almost as if science is regarded as another religion.

Having said that, just because scientific experiment has yet to provide answers to some questions doesn't mean that people can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy story they would like to be true.

Well, I suppose they can, but shouldn't be expected to be taken seriously, just because they believe it.

Edited by bifftastic

Believing is a waste of time. I prefer to "know". The only thing I know is real is what's happening in this moment. Anything that has happened (in my perception) or I think might happen in the future has no reality because it simply doesn't exist.

The only thing I know is that we humans use only about 10-25% of our brain power. What we know is really minuscule . "If there is a god there is a witch," from my history professor. Who really Knows?

• Like 1

[Continuing the reply below, as the forum seems to have a limitation on the number of quoted blocks of text per post]

Remember, we only have a tiny part of the truth

I prefer to call it "a piece of the puzzle". We must tread cautiously when we have only one or two pieces of the puzzle, and refrain from drawing conclusions (in either direction). But as we collect more pieces of the puzzle, we begin to form a testable hypothesis that may eventually lead to a scientific theory.

Equally wrong are those who might say "you don't have all the pieces of the puzzle, so your hypothesis is flawed!" This is like saying "you're missing a few pieces of the puzzle, so that's not the Mona Lisa!

attachicon.gifmona lisa puzzle.png

when you say "There's no life after death", you should mark this as your personal opinion and not declare it as an absolute truth, because in the end, you have no way of knowing.

I'm not sure who you're directing this at, as nobody here has said anything about life after death. The best that can be said is that we don't know one way or the other, so we leave the burden of proof on the shoulders of anybody who makes the claim that there is life after death.

The BOP on life after death is on the party that claims there is no life after it. It is easy to satisfy that burden, eg., my dad died 15 years ago and there was life after that.

I believe in what my 5 senses can perceive and what science has proven to be a fact.

I believe when you die, your life ends. There is no heaven or hell. There is no coming back and there are definitely no such things as a ghost. If there were, with science what it is today, we would know about it.

I think there would be less wars if people truly believed there was only one life and if you die, you cease to exist for all eternity. People would be more careful and nicer because they would not want some crazy person to loose their mind and end their life.

This is the only life you have and the reasons for the decisions we make in this life should only do with making this life better for ourselves or the ones we love. Making decisions in this life for a imaginary life beyond does not make any sense. It is a waste of often money, time and energy.

However, to each his (her) own. If believing in a higher power, god, or after life gives you comfort in this present life, then I will not stop you from living in this fantasy (the faculty or activity of imagining things, esp. things that are impossible or improbable) world. Just be careful your spiritual decisions don't impact my present real life decisions. Therein lies the possibility of an offense being taken.

yes richard. i'm sure science would let you know first. now take your meds and go back to sleep.

Yes there is such thing I have heard of many cases with Farangs in Surin and my wife who is Thai, also says there is such thing so you have to go to some person whom you can trust to break this spell. Good Luck and thread lightly be care whom you talk to.

Power of the Mind!....believe what you will BUT the mind is a powerful instrument. The Thai's apparently believe in many things western minds can't comprehend or accept ( its called education).

That being said ......as educated as we (westerners) may be there are many things we still can't explain .....oh well....So who are we to say the Thai's are wrong...or that sorcery doesn't exist.

Personally I just look the other way ....ignore it....and go on with life.

As for your girlfriend controlling you ....its that little patch between her legs that gives her control over you ....and she knows it ...just like in the rest of the world.

There is always a Queen behind the King telling him what to do ...But in public the smart Queen lets the King "think" he's in control...

Its called LIFE!rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't call myself a man if pussy had control over me. It's momentary amusement nothing else. If she 'thinks' she can control me then good luck.

The BOP on life after death is on the party that claims there is no life after it. It is easy to satisfy that burden, eg., my dad died 15 years ago and there was life after that.

So any fantastic chain is accepted as true until proven otherwise? Sorry, that's not how it works. The act of claim making is what saddles one with a burden of proof.

Here's a short educational video on how to understand where the burden of proof lies:

It's only about ten minutes long but if you can't even spare that, then at least watch the first two and a half minutes. The rest of the video goes into detail on exactly why trying to shift the burden of proof onto those making no claim is logically inconsistent.

• Like 1

I believe in what my 5 senses can perceive and what science has proven to be a fact.

I believe when you die, your life ends. There is no heaven or hell. There is no coming back and there are definitely no such things as a ghost. If there were, with science what it is today, we would know about it.

I think there would be less wars if people truly believed there was only one life and if you die, you cease to exist for all eternity. People would be more careful and nicer because they would not want some crazy person to loose their mind and end their life.

This is the only life you have and the reasons for the decisions we make in this life should only do with making this life better for ourselves or the ones we love. Making decisions in this life for a imaginary life beyond does not make any sense. It is a waste of often money, time and energy.

However, to each his (her) own. If believing in a higher power, god, or after life gives you comfort in this present life, then I will not stop you from living in this fantasy (the faculty or activity of imagining things, esp. things that are impossible or improbable) world. Just be careful your spiritual decisions don't impact my present real life decisions. Therein lies the possibility of an offense being taken.

yes richard. i'm sure science would let you know first. now take your meds and go back to sleep.

I'm not the one living in a fantasy world.

All of the incessant Thai babbling about "Khmer black magic" is just racist denigration of the Khmers as the mysterious, dark-skinned "other" who have "mystical powers" to hurt, deceive, etc., the "civilized" Thais.

This is the same old story around the world, some minority group in your country/inhabitants of a poorer neighboring country are invariably branded as possessing some sort of evil magic/trickery. Just take out "Khmer" and insert "Gypsies," "Jews," etc., depending on where you live and whom you choose to hate...just the same old racist bullshit.

didnt you copy and paste this reply from one of my previous threads ? for gods sake change the record man .

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:59

The Thai incessant babbling about "Khmer magic" is just racist demonizing of the "other"...fairly common around the world, the "poor, dark people" in that country "over there" are often rumored to have mystical powers, the ability to deceive you, blahblah...just remove "Khmer" and insert "Gypsies," "Jews," depending where you are in the world...same boring, ultimately totally unfounded racist bullshit.

All of the incessant Thai babbling about "Khmer black magic" is just racist denigration of the Khmers as the mysterious, dark-skinned "other" who have "mystical powers" to hurt, deceive, etc., the "civilized" Thais.

This is the same old story around the world, some minority group in your country/inhabitants of a poorer neighboring country are invariably branded as possessing some sort of evil magic/trickery. Just take out "Khmer" and insert "Gypsies," "Jews," etc., depending on where you live and whom you choose to hate...just the same old racist bullshit.

didnt you copy and paste this reply from one of my previous threads ? for gods sake change the record man .

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:59

The Thai incessant babbling about "Khmer magic" is just racist demonizing of the "other"...fairly common around the world, the "poor, dark people" in that country "over there" are often rumored to have mystical powers, the ability to deceive you, blahblah...just remove "Khmer" and insert "Gypsies," "Jews," depending where you are in the world...same boring, ultimately totally unfounded racist bullshit.

Hahaha, look who's talking, you created basically the same thread twice!