Australian journalist says he's prepared for prison over Thai navy row

webfact

Australian journalist Alan Morison says he's prepared for prison over Thai navy row
Lindsay Murdoch

BANGKOK: -- Australian journalist Alan Morison has declared he is prepared to go to jail to defend media freedom in Thailand where defamation laws are being increasingly used to silence criticism.

‘‘This is a clear issue of freedom of media and the military exceeding its role in using an onerous law unjustly,’’ says Morison, 66, who edits and publishes Phuketwan, a small but popular news website on the resort island of Phuket.

A defamation lawsuit launched by Thailand’s navy against Mr Morison and his colleague Chutima Sidasathian on Christmas Eve is one of about 1600 defamation cases that were initiated in the south-east Asian country in 2013, many of them by powerful interests.

Court records show that of the defamation cases that proceed to trial in Thailand an average of 96 per cent lead to convictions, one of the world’s highest rates for the crime.

If convicted on criminal defamation charges they could be jailed for up to two years.

The navy’s unprecedented action has prompted criticism from the United Nations, human rights groups, non-government organisations and media outlets and unions both in Thailand and other countries. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-journalist-alan-morison-says-hes-prepared-for-prison-over-thai-navy-row-20131230-hv75m.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2013-12-31

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One hopes the Aussie does better than the green peace <deleted> from the UK who was locked up in Russia and on his release from jail complained to the British press that he had to live on bread and water cos the jail didn't off a vegetarian option for meals

• Like 2

I suppose it is safe to assume that the Navy Chief has carried out a full and comprehensive investigation into the alleged Naval involvement in this tawdry affair.

The results of this investigation would no doubt have been passed to the PM and her approval sought, in her role as Defense Minister, prior to the Royal Thai Navy taking this almost unprecedented action against these journos.

Perhaps I should have started with " I assume it is safe to suppose". Then again perhaps neither is correct.

Alan Morison is a hero. He sticks to his principle something Thais know little about. So the Thais really have no knowledge of Mr. Morison's motives. In truth Thai self centered thinking, principle of truth and honor don't enter in to it. The potential jailing of Mr. Morison will call more attention to Thailand's deplorable defamation framework, and putting him in jail may lead to a massive demonstration at Thai embassies around the world.

• Like 1

One hopes the Aussie does better than the green peace <deleted> from the UK who was locked up in Russia and on his release from jail complained to the British press that he had to live on bread and water cos the jail didn't off a vegetarian option for meals

Do you honestly believe he worked for the green peace? wink.png

As for Australian journalist. I respect his decision to go to prison over Thai navy row. Good luck to him. However, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Western arrogance is sometimes annoying. Who are we to preach to the rest of the world what to do and how to live their lives?

• Like 1

Alan Morison is a hero. He sticks to his principle something Thais know little about. So the Thais really have no knowledge of Mr. Morison's motives. In truth Thai self centered thinking, principle of truth and honor don't enter in to it. The potential jailing of Mr. Morison will call more attention to Thailand's deplorable defamation framework, and putting him in jail may lead to a massive demonstration at Thai embassies around the world.

However, those massive demonstrations around the world would not be covered by Thai media for fear of a defamation suit...

Whether or not you like Morrision or not - you have to admire his resolve here and not fleeing the country like many people would do. This law is ridiculous and being used to cover up the truth about Thai Navy involvement in a what can only be described as despicable behaviour.

• Like 2

Good for him. Turn the whole thing into a media circus that shines a stong spotlight on the idiots in uniform. I would think he has the connections to make the Thai Navy very uncomfortable.

Whatevet the outcome of the trial, this could be a massive PR disaster for the Navy and the country.

• Like 1

I don't think we are in the position to judge Thais or anyone else. Just google the name Michael Hastings. He was a brave man who was only doing his job and wanted to inform the American public about certain dodgy things. Unfortunately, he died in the 'car accident'. That's the way we do things.

Edited by Mackie

I truly admire his resolve,however there are times when fighting for a principle especially in this judicially devious country is simply not worth the cost. The Navy has picked a soft target as they have not open a law suit against the originators as Reuters enjoy a credibility that has escaped this country for decades.

Owing to his age and the fragile status that expats enjoy in this country , I see that serving a jail sentence for this as admirable but misguided..

There is little doubt amongst those that have followed this story that this is simply a typical action to try to whitewash and cover up a national disgrace.

Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government: when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected in its ruins. Republics derive their strength and vigor from a popular examination into the action of the magistrates. Quote Benjamin Franklin.

Freedom is always worth fighting for.

• Like 1

well done that man! The reform of Thailands ludicrous defamation law and especially better protection of the media against its misuse would help move this country forward. The kind of protection this law affords has allowed some seriously corrupt and dangerous people to contiue to hold high public office when in the west they would have been hounded out years ago.

Which is exactly why this law will not see meaningful change, unless something dramatic happens.

The people with the means to change it are the same who hide behind it.

• Like 2

Glad to see that there is at least one journalist worthy of the title.

Can a Farang beat the Thai navy in a Thai court? None and Buckley's come to mind. Some guys I know complained to a hotel manager about his book keeping. Instead of getting an explanation he sued them all for defamation. He got a neat 50,000 baht and has never answered their concerns. My advice...don't mess with the locals. I hope he sees the light and grovels out of it or he will be tied up forever or till he is broke then will if he is lucky get deported instead of jail. Very sad this is the way it is . Good luck to him though. Only my opinion of course. Hope I am wrong.

Well. What a wonderful off topic post. Heartwarming that you should bring in an environmental activist on this one. and as a vegetarian of some 30 years standing I would, in fact did, the exact same. Needed to lose a few pounds anyway biggrin.png

• Like 2