A Problem With Notification Emails - No Link

JetsetBkk

Here's an email I just received:

post-35489-0-68825900-1388479958_thumb.j

There is no link at the bottom.

But if I look at the source, there is a link - the part I've highlighted - and it points to the correct location:

post-35489-0-94028400-1388479983_thumb.j

So something has stopped the link from being displayed - possibly the line above that starts with "<a data-ipb='nomediaparse'...."

A little New Year present for your developers! wink.png

Is this on one occasion only, or have you got later notifications with a visible link?

I've never received a later (or corrected) email for the same notification.

I have received other notification emails, after this problem one, that had links displayed correctly.

I think there's something in my post that screws up the notification email and stops the link being displayed.

The link is actually in the message source, but doesn't get displayed by Outlook Express.

And I think it's the thumbnail that causes the problem.

We could try a test, George. If you 'like' this post, I'll see whether I get an email with a visible link in it.

I've added a thumbnail at the end of this post - the same as in the problem email - just to see if it interferes with the link.

Cheers, JS

post-35489-0-19650800-1388495943_thumb.j

• Like 1

ok, you just tricked me to like it tongue.png

Happy New 2014!

Ha, ha! Gotcha! biggrin.png

Well, unfortunately, the notification of your 'like' was OK - the link was at the bottom.

So I compared the message source of both emails and they both look pretty much the same in their structure - just the obvious text changed because of time stamps, thread name, sender name, etc.

But at the end of each message source is the actual text that gets displayed by Outlook Express as the message.

Here is the extract from your email:

<!--::ipb.wrapper.added::-->Hello!<br><br>

george just liked a post you made!<hr><hr> QUOTE <hr><br>

Is this on one occasion only, or have you got later notifications with a visible link?<hr><br><br>

I've never received a later (or corrected) email for the same noti...<hr><a href="http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/693117-a-problem-with-notification-emails-no-link/?view=findpost&p=7229924&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=forum" class="bbc_url" title="">

<div class='footer'>

<a href='http://www.thaivisa.com/forum'>Thailand Forum</a>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</body>

</html>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C1BD6C.D0C0F9F0--

And here is the extract from JSixpack's email:

JSixpack just liked a post you made!<hr>

I bought a second hand Samsung NC10 netbook recently. Excellent machine for the odd day I'm out and need internet access.<br>

It has 3 USB ports so I can use one for the wireless mouse and still have 2 available.<br><br><br><br><a href="/..."></a>

<div class='footer'>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</body>

</html>

I'm pretty sure the red bit in JSixpack's email should contain the link to my post but, clearly, it doesn't.

There's one more test you could do rolleyes.gif , (no really, it's worth doing smile.png ), and that is for you to 'like' the same post that JSixpack did. Then we can see if your notification email has the same problem which would indicate that the problem is specific to that post in some way.

The post is here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/692919-why-cant-i-buy-another-notebook-computer/?view=findpost&p=7224651

(You can always 'unlike' the post later biggrin.png ).

Cheers George and a Happy New Year to you. smile.png

Ok, I have liked that post now.

And we have the exact same problem as with JSixpack's email - no link at the bottom of the email and none in the message source:

george just liked a post you made!<hr>

I bought a second hand Samsung NC10 netbook recently. Excellent machine for the odd day I'm out and need internet access.<br>

It has 3 USB ports so I can use one for the wireless mouse and still have 2 available.<br><br><br><br><a href="/..."></a>

<div class='footer'>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</body>

</html>

Time for the developers to have a look, I think.

Unless you want to do some more tests.

- JS