Compulsory car insurance, what does it cover

PeterSmiles

Hardly worth having but better than nothing!

Worked well for me, and I am talking about the mandatory bike insurance. I had a fall and it cost me about 7,000 baht at the hospital. Insurance paid 100% of the cost, and it only took me 15 minutes to be fully reimbursed. I was impressed.

Worked well for me, and I am talking about the mandatory bike insurance. I had a fall and it cost me about 7,000 baht at the hospital. Insurance paid 100% of the cost, and it only took me 15 minutes to be fully reimbursed. I was impressed.

Same here....and note it covers the rider as well...it is not third party only.

I have noticed you were asking about car insurance but most of the replies were in regard to bike insurance. I have owned two cars during my time in Thailand and bought both of them new from a dealer. In most cases the dealer will pay for the first year for you as part of the sales deal.

This will be what they refer to as Class One Insurance which can only be obtained for vehicles up to five years old. It covers everything resulting from an accident; medical for you and the other people involved, total repair cost with no deductible and an agent will respond to the crash scene while you are still there. The insurance adjuster will keep the police out of it in many cases and make arrangements for any injuries to be handled as well as for the repair of you car with no out of pocket expense for you. Over the years I have had several crashes and none of them cost me anything. I have taken out three motorcycles sending the riders to the hospital and never had to pay anything or deal with the police except for one occasion where the police arrived ahead of the Insurance man and in that case I still did not have to pay anything or even get a ticket.

This is one of the reasons I traded my old car in for a new one, it was in it's forth year and I wanted to keep the Class One Insurance so I traded it in.

I have noticed you were asking about car insurance but most of the replies were in regard to bike insurance. I have owned two cars during my time in Thailand and bought both of them new from a dealer. In most cases the dealer will pay for the first year for you as part of the sales deal.

This will be what they refer to as Class One Insurance which can only be obtained for vehicles up to five years old. It covers everything resulting from an accident; medical for you and the other people involved, total repair cost with no deductible and an agent will respond to the crash scene while you are still there. The insurance adjuster will keep the police out of it in many cases and make arrangements for any injuries to be handled as well as for the repair of you car with no out of pocket expense for you. Over the years I have had several crashes and none of them cost me anything. I have taken out three motorcycles sending the riders to the hospital and never had to pay anything or deal with the police except for one occasion where the police arrived ahead of the Insurance man and in that case I still did not have to pay anything or even get a ticket.

This is one of the reasons I traded my old car in for a new one, it was in it's forth year and I wanted to keep the Class One Insurance so I traded it in.

PS, I guess I am a slow learner on driving in Thailand, thinking about getting little stickers for my car door of motorcycles crossed out.

PS, I guess I am a slow learner on driving in Thailand, thinking about getting little stickers for my car door of motorcycles crossed out.

That might be a good idea...Lol

You appear to be on a roll,

though the locals might think it's not in their favor...Lol

Great story though, thanks for sharing it with us.

Safe travels,

and hope you keep that mobile charged up;

never know when you might need it? Lol

We would suggest you trade in your Broker not the car as Class 1 insurance is available for cars over 5 years old - and far cheaper than a new car !

It is the only insurance I have and have been driving 8 years in Thailand. Of course I also haven't had any accidents yet.

It's also the only insurance I have, since me as well haven't had an accident since I switched to a truck some 6 years ago. They seem to be wary of a bigger vehicle here biggrin.png

However yesterday in the traffic jam on Sukhumvit Pattaya Tai, I had an old Thai - Chinese shrek switching lanes from far left lane to turn right into Pattaya Tai and thereby scratched mine and their car. Not my fault as I was stationary due to the massive traffic jam, but of course she accused me of crashing into their car .

If I had third party insurance I could have called an insurance guy who would have sorted it out, but now i had no choice as to assume fault . At the end I got away by giving them 2000 Baht, which is still cheaper than an insurance premium, but it could have been worse.

It is the only insurance I have and have been driving 8 years in Thailand. Of course I also haven't had any accidents yet.

I would recommend getting insurance that also includes bail bond. Quite cheap. Especially for an Expat Oil Worker. :rolleyes:

Covers bail immediately so the police cannot hold/pressure/extort you.

It's also the only insurance I have, since me as well haven't had an accident since I switched to a truck some 6 years ago. They seem to be wary of a bigger vehicle here biggrin.png

However yesterday in the traffic jam on Sukhumvit Pattaya Tai, I had an old Thai - Chinese shrek switching lanes from far left lane to turn right into Pattaya Tai and thereby scratched mine and their car. Not my fault as I was stationary due to the massive traffic jam, but of course she accused me of crashing into their car .

If I had third party insurance I could have called an insurance guy who would have sorted it out, but now i had no choice as to assume fault . At the end I got away by giving them 2000 Baht, which is still cheaper than an insurance premium, but it could have been worse.

Decent vehical insurance is almost vital in Thailand, due to:

The driving of other road users (as you experienced)

The behaviour of other road user when they hit you (as you experienced)

Corrupt police that extort.

Conditions of police cells/jail.

It is cheap to get 1st class insurance, which will also include police bail bond.

It is also advisable to have a camera recording everything that happens. This is quite easy now with smart phones. You just place it in a holder on the dash everytime you get in the car, and press a button (having downloaded a free driving recorder app). With this should hanything happen, you just press a button and it automatically saves the last hour, vital for when someone pulls out in front of you on a clapped out old motosai with 3 people on it.

These are things you don't need until you do. When you do, man do you need them.

A friend has had three Thais hit him. He always gave them the chance to be honest, 1 of them was, the other 2 lied.... then came out the camera footage after they lied to the police. :whistling:

Edited by 1ma

I have taken out three motorcycles sending the riders to the hospital and never had to pay anything or deal with the police except for one occasion where the police arrived ahead of the Insurance man and in that case I still did not have to pay anything or even get a ticket.

I know there are many irresponsible bike riders here, so assume each of the three accidents was not your fault, but how unlucky are you? I have driven here on and off for 20 years and have never hit a motorbike.

And your choice of words ..."taken out" .... hope this doesn't mean you drive like Chuck Norris - although of course that would explain your bad luck.

We would suggest you trade in your Broker not the car as Class 1 insurance is available for cars over 5 years old - and far cheaper than a new car !

Yes, and shop around.

I was offered Class 1 insurance by AA Insurance, and got the same deal for just over 50% less off another broker.

Yes, and shop around.

I was offered Class 1 insurance by AA Insurance, and got the same deal for just over 50% less off another broker.

That's strange, because I've shopped around for first class insurance earlier this year, and prices were to the Baht identical between brokers .

You can get 1st class on a vehicle more than 5 years old but not all insurance firms offer it. AXA does but my pick worth maybe B250,000 they only value at B150,000 but cost is B7,500 a year.

I use a insurance broker Sime Derby I believe it is. They come back with several quotes with different prices but terms on policy are different also. Never use the insurance company that starts with "V". We had a vehicle stolen many years ago and even after taking them to court twice and winning they never paid. They are great on repairs but no payers on theft.

Yes, and shop around.

That's strange, because I've shopped around for first class insurance earlier this year, and prices were to the Baht identical between brokers .

AA Insurance was 11 or 13k, forget which. Same deal, minus a few baht payout for various things, nothing drastic, was 6,600 off another party. (motorbike not car).

To quote BarnicleBob in post #9, "This will be what they refer to as Class One Insurance which can only be obtained for vehicles up to five years old."

This s somewhat true. I believe that a company will not take a car on older than 5 years, but if previously insured through them before the 5 years they will continue till it is 10 years.

That is for a private non-commercial car, Bikes are different but I forget.

My understanding (or personal opinion) is any farlang here without Class1 is an idiot. If you have an incident, just let the insurance company deal with it.

My understanding (or personal opinion) is any farlang here without Class1 is an idiot. If you have an incident, just let the insurance company deal with it.

I agree.

And I'm not an over insured American insurance addict, I only have two insurances here. Personal Accident insurance for 400b a year from K-Bank, and my 1st class insurance on my vehicle.

Putting yourself at the mercy of the Thai police, and Thai citizens should your vehicle be hit, or involved in any sort of accident, is pure idiocy. The main thing about 1st class insurance is knowing that you immediately stand back, and your rep deals with everything, police cannot detain you, all vehicle repairs and medical will be paid for, you don't have to worry about anything, no negoiating, no claims, no extortion, no BS.

Add a small dash cam, like I mentioned before by using your smartphone to automatically record all your driving, and you are as safe as can be.

To quote BarnicleBob in post #9, "This will be what they refer to as Class One Insurance which can only be obtained for vehicles up to five years old."

This s somewhat true. I believe that a company will not take a car on older than 5 years, but if previously insured through them before the 5 years they will continue till it is 10 years.

That is for a private non-commercial car, Bikes are different but I forget.

Somewhat untrue - read Post 12 - and not previously insured

I agree.

And I'm not an over insured American insurance addict, I only have two insurances here. Personal Accident insurance for 400b a year from K-Bank, and my 1st class insurance on my vehicle.

Putting yourself at the mercy of the Thai police, and Thai citizens should your vehicle be hit, or involved in any sort of accident, is pure idiocy. The main thing about 1st class insurance is knowing that you immediately stand back, and your rep deals with everything, police cannot detain you, all vehicle repairs and medical will be paid for, you don't have to worry about anything, no negoiating, no claims, no extortion, no BS.

Add a small dash cam, like I mentioned before by using your smartphone to automatically record all your driving, and you are as safe as can be.

If you have a moment can you give a little information about "Personal Accident insurance for 400b a year from K-Bank,"

Sorry and i really don't mean to hijack this helpful thread.

TIA

I assume you are talking about "Paw Raw Baw" that everyone has to buy on cars and bikes. About 650 baht per year.

Where did you go to make your claim?

If you have a moment can you give a little information about "Personal Accident insurance for 400b a year from K-Bank,"

Sure, more info on my post here.

Open an account with K-Bank, for your ATM card you will be offered a debit card that automatically includes their Personal Accident Insurance. It used to be called PA200 years ago, when it was 200b. Then up to 400b. Present the Debit Card at the hospital and ID (driving license/photocopy of passport kept in your wallet), and all expenses up to 5000b are immediately covered. Enough for ambulance, x-ray, check-up, medicine and follow up. All hospitals, not just government ones.

The compulsory insurance is also included in the Class One. Due to a time lag when I was in the UK my car which was new has different dates for tax and insurance. I went to the local office with my partner we purchased the tax and she got the compulsory at the same time. When it came to renewal through AA they just deducted the compulsory premium and I paid the rest.

The compulsory in one form or another goes on bikes and cars regardless of having Class one or whatever.

Here's another twist.

A friend recently hired an almost new car for several days (smart professional looking shop front, plenty of English) and was assured in the up front discussions that full insurance was included.

On picking up the car he was handed a sealed envelope and told 'if you have an accident call the police first and when they arrive quickly give them this envelope. If other driver calls insurance company don't talk to the insurance man until you have given this envelope to the police'.

Friend was curious so he opened the envelope. Inside was a copy of a typed letter (all Thai language) on police stationery with a grand signature, and with a photocopy of the registration sticker on the bottom of the letter.

Farang asked a Thai friend well educated abroad to read the letter. Thai friend laughed his head off. Farang says why are you laughing?

Thai man points to the sticker and says 'fake'.