Compulsory car insurance, what does it cover

PeterSmiles

I have noticed you were asking about car insurance but most of the replies were in regard to bike insurance. I have owned two cars during my time in Thailand and bought both of them new from a dealer. In most cases the dealer will pay for the first year for you as part of the sales deal.

This will be what they refer to as Class One Insurance which can only be obtained for vehicles up to five years old. It covers everything resulting from an accident; medical for you and the other people involved, total repair cost with no deductible and an agent will respond to the crash scene while you are still there. The insurance adjuster will keep the police out of it in many cases and make arrangements for any injuries to be handled as well as for the repair of you car with no out of pocket expense for you. Over the years I have had several crashes and none of them cost me anything. I have taken out three motorcycles sending the riders to the hospital and never had to pay anything or deal with the police except for one occasion where the police arrived ahead of the Insurance man and in that case I still did not have to pay anything or even get a ticket.

This is one of the reasons I traded my old car in for a new one, it was in it's forth year and I wanted to keep the Class One Insurance so I traded it in.

The compulsory insurance is also included in the Class One. Due to a time lag when I was in the UK my car which was new has different dates for tax and insurance. I went to the local office with my partner we purchased the tax and she got the compulsory at the same time. When it came to renewal through AA they just deducted the compulsory premium and I paid the rest.

The compulsory in one form or another goes on bikes and cars regardless of having Class one or whatever.

Interesting, so if I have Class One insurance from a private insurance company I don't need the obligatory government insurance?

My gov insurance and tax are almost up and time to renew through my Honda dealer. Previously I used to get the tax and insurance together, but now there is no need as it isn't needed?

I have noticed you were asking about car insurance but most of the replies were in regard to bike insurance. I have owned two cars during my time in Thailand and bought both of them new from a dealer. In most cases the dealer will pay for the first year for you as part of the sales deal.

This will be what they refer to as Class One Insurance which can only be obtained for vehicles up to five years old. It covers everything resulting from an accident; medical for you and the other people involved, total repair cost with no deductible and an agent will respond to the crash scene while you are still there. The insurance adjuster will keep the police out of it in many cases and make arrangements for any injuries to be handled as well as for the repair of you car with no out of pocket expense for you. Over the years I have had several crashes and none of them cost me anything. I have taken out three motorcycles sending the riders to the hospital and never had to pay anything or deal with the police except for one occasion where the police arrived ahead of the Insurance man and in that case I still did not have to pay anything or even get a ticket.

This is one of the reasons I traded my old car in for a new one, it was in it's forth year and I wanted to keep the Class One Insurance so I traded it in.

The compulsory insurance is also included in the Class One. Due to a time lag when I was in the UK my car which was new has different dates for tax and insurance. I went to the local office with my partner we purchased the tax and she got the compulsory at the same time. When it came to renewal through AA they just deducted the compulsory premium and I paid the rest.

The compulsory in one form or another goes on bikes and cars regardless of having Class one or whatever.

Interesting, so if I have Class One insurance from a private insurance company I don't need the obligatory government insurance?

My gov insurance and tax are almost up and time to renew through my Honda dealer. Previously I used to get the tax and insurance together, but now there is no need as it isn't needed?

Probably not. It is a separate form, so if previously you obtained 1st class and compulsory at a different time you'll very likely have to do the same now.

does it cover malicious damage such as a long scratch caused by a sharp object (while parked)?

The compulsory insurance? No.

That is wrong. They are seperate. You must have the Por Ror Bor to licence the car. 1st class is an optional extra totally seperate.

does it cover malicious damage such as a long scratch caused by a sharp object (while parked)?

That is wrong. They are seperate. You must have the Por Ror Bor to licence the car. 1st class is an optional extra totally seperate.

So what is wrong in what I am saying here? Or does in your opinion the compulsory insurance cover a key scratcher?

So what is wrong in what I am saying here? Or does in your opinion the compulsory insurance cover a key scratcher?

OK sorry that should have been a reply to 1ma. You replied correctly that you needed both. And you are correct no material damage is covered by it.

I’ve always had the impression that the compulsory car insurance covered next-to-nothing and no damage on the insured car.

One poster (#9) said: »This will be what they refer to as Class One Insurance which can only be obtained for vehicles up to five years old.«

I bought a fairly old car as my first here, 11 years of age, and signed for a so-called First Class insurance through Viriyah, which the previous owner of the car had also used (the car has many previous owners, but seems like only the last used Viriyah), so I could negotiate to start out with a 10 percent discount. That covered my car up to 450,000 baht (which did cover the price I paid for the second-hand car) and third party property damage to a maximum of 5 million; personal damage 1 million with a maximum of 10 million; PA passengers and driver each 200,000 baht only; bail out cover of 200,000. I could choose one with a self-risk of 20,000 baht, which made the annual premium lower; fee was almost 30,000 annual with a further discount for every two years without claims, the last year I paid 14,000.

This year I’ve bought a new car including the Premium insurance offered by the dealer. The car value is only covered some 75 percent of the price, might be that a car is considered as a used car the moment it’s sold. Third party liability up to 10 million and 1 million each person; whilst PA for driver and passengers 50,000 baht only; bail out 200,000.

There may be insurances with better cover (don’t know), but I think even you may have a good insurance you can still me met by claims, especially the PA covers seems quite limited.

I would not dare to drive without some level of liability insurance on top of the compulsory.

Kasikorn Bank, for example, offers car insurance for any private car up to five seats, independent of age, for 6,800 baht annual fee. That covers third party persons 1 million (death or injury) and third part property 1 million, with a maximum of 10 million, including passengers in the car. The car is covered with up to 120,000 (not theft/fire). PA for driver/owner is 100,000 and bail out 200,000. Self-risk is 2,000 baht. That seems like an affordable alternative for a car, if you have only the mandatory insurance.

(Edit: my bad spelling "used" iso "sued") :(

Edited by khunPer

Kasikorn Bank, for example, offers car insurance for any private car up to five seats, independent of age, for 6,800 baht annual fee. That covers third party persons 1 million (death or injury) and third part property 1 million, with a maximum of 10 million, including passengers in the car. The car is covered with up to 120,000 (not theft/fire). PA for driver/owner is 100,000 and bail out 200,000. Self-risk is 2,000 baht. That seems like an affordable alternative for a car, if you have only the mandatory insurance.

I think that is a very hefty premium for the coverage .

Ive always had the impression that the compulsory car insurance covered next-to-nothing and no damage on the insured car.

One poster (#9) said: »This will be what they refer to as Class One Insurance which can only be obtained for vehicles up to five years old.«

I bought a fairly old car as my first here, 11 years of age, and signed for a so-called First Class insurance through Viriyah, which the previous owner of the car had also used (the car has many previous owners, but seems like only the last used Viriyah), so I could negotiate to start out with a 10 percent discount. That covered my car up to 450,000 baht (which did cover the price I paid for the second-hand car) and third party property damage to a maximum of 5 million; personal damage 1 million with a maximum of 10 million; PA passengers and driver each 200,000 baht only; bail out cover of 200,000. I could choose one with a self-risk of 20,000 baht, which made the annual premium lower; fee was almost 30,000 annual with a further discount for every two years without claims, the last year I paid 14,000.

This year Ive bought a new car including the Premium insurance offered by the dealer. The car value is only covered some 75 percent of the price, might be that a car is considered as a used car the moment its sold. Third party liability up to 10 million and 1 million each person; whilst PA for driver and passengers 50,000 baht only; bail out 200,000.

There may be insurances with better cover (dont know), but I think even you may have a good insurance you can still me met by claims, especially the PA covers seems quite limited.

I would not dare to drive without some level of liability insurance on top of the compulsory.

(Edit: my bad spelling "used" iso "sued") sad.png

The Kasikorn insurance actually sound like a good deal. Then I could slow down and spend more time on the road.biggrin.png

post-119133-0-66421800-1388582224_thumb.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

To quote BarnicleBob in post #9, "This will be what they refer to as Class One Insurance which can only be obtained for vehicles up to five years old."

This s somewhat true. I believe that a company will not take a car on older than 5 years, but if previously insured through them before the 5 years they will continue till it is 10 years.

That is for a private non-commercial car, Bikes are different but I forget.

My understanding (or personal opinion) is any farlang here without Class1 is an idiot. If you have an incident, just let the insurance company deal with it.

Somewhat untrue - read Post 12 - and not previously insured

As said in post #12, trade in a bad broker or company, good insurance campaniles will insure a vehicle up to 5 yo then continue till 10 years. Insurance companies are like chalk and cheese in Thailand. I have used AA before and found them good, they have nothing to do with my car insurance though, but made life a lot easier when trying to find a particular insurance.

• 6 months later...

Hardly worth having but better than nothing!

Worked well for me, and I am talking about the mandatory bike insurance. I had a fall and it cost me about 7,000 baht at the hospital. Insurance paid 100% of the cost, and it only took me 15 minutes to be fully reimbursed. I was impressed.

I assume you are talking about "Paw Raw Baw" that everyone has to buy on cars and bikes. About 650 baht per year.

Where did you go to make your claim?

Do you have to have the PRB on a car even if you have 1st class insurance (which i thought covered third party costs) ? I have it on my bike because i have no other insurance but not on my car. When i bought the car new no one mentioned about buying a third party Government insurance.

Hardly worth having but better than nothing!

Worked well for me, and I am talking about the mandatory bike insurance. I had a fall and it cost me about 7,000 baht at the hospital. Insurance paid 100% of the cost, and it only took me 15 minutes to be fully reimbursed. I was impressed.

I assume you are talking about "Paw Raw Baw" that everyone has to buy on cars and bikes. About 650 baht per year.

Where did you go to make your claim?

Do you have to have the PRB on a car even if you have 1st class insurance (which i thought covered third party costs) ? I have it on my bike because i have no other insurance but not on my car. When i bought the car new no one mentioned about buying a third party Government insurance.

Yes, compulsory. If you received 2 policy papers with your insurance 1 will be 1st class, the other the Pororbor.

• 1 year later...