Correct Translation For 'mistake'

Mr Ling Noi

First thing to note:

Where English favours nouns, Thai favours verbs. It is generally only in written language that Thai has a lot of nouns. In most other cases, they use verb.

The translation you have is correct in that it is the most common way a Thai expresses it, but it means "to make a mistake".

Second thing to note:

should be 'phìd phlâad' (note the 'l' in phlâad.) The lack of an 'l' or 'r' when it comes as the second sound in a word is common in everyday speech, but in clear, correct speech it should be there. (the 'ph' is the same as in Phuket and Phi Phi, not as in pharao or Phil)

It is also a combination expression - these are pretty common in Thai - you combine two words which can stand on their own, to make a word with a similar meaning. 'phit' means '(to be) wrong' and phlaad means 'to miss [a target, not to miss as in long for]'.

I agree, it depends on the context.

I often say - "mai dai dtung jai" , meaning "it wasn't meant", but often when it was in fact a mistake made. If it weren't my fault or no mistake was made, I'd say, "mai kwam pit khong pom", maening "it wasn't my mistake.

Often I used "plaad" in the words for procrastination - "plaad wan bprakan prung".

Where English favours nouns, Thai favours verbs. It is generally only in written language that Thai has a lot of nouns. In most other cases, they use verb.

The translation you have is correct in that it is the most common way a Thai expresses it, but it means "to make a mistake".

It is also a combination expression - these are pretty common in Thai - you combine two words which can stand on their own, to make a word with a similar meaning. 'phit' means '(to be) wrong' and phlaad means 'to miss [a target, not to miss as in long for]'.

What you've said is interesting to me because at work recently the Thai staff have had me translating things for them. It's not that I'm either that good or efficient at it but at least when I do it the English that comes out the other end is intelligible.

I've noticed some of these combination expressions that you mentioned. Particularly annoying when you have to loko up both words then realise they mean the same thing.

Anyway I was wondering if we could have a list of some of the more common ones. Perhaps a new thread.

I was also wondering if someone could give some examples of the more common written/spoken equivalents for whilst I'm enjoying doing this translating I feel that it might be hindering my spoken Thai if I am not aware of the difference. Unfortunately I'm between Thai tutors. Again :o So this is a bit of a worry for me at the moment.

Cheers

Withnail

I often say - "mai dai dtung jai" , meaning "it wasn't meant", but often when it was in fact a mistake made. If it weren't my fault or no mistake was made, I'd say, "mai kwam pit khong pom", maening "it wasn't my mistake.

I don`t mean to nitpick here, but can you omit the Chai in the above sentence?

mai chai kwam pit khong pom.

cheers

Michael

You're right Michael. The 'chai' has to be there because it is a noun phrase being negated (khwaam phid khawng phom).

Verbs can be negated with just 'mai' or 'mai dai', but nouns/noun phrases need 'mai chai'.

Thanks meadish, I thought so. Probably a slip from the OP.

cheers

Michael

Just notice thai noun begining with : *การ* หรือ * ความ * :o

Better yet, note the differences in the noun phrases formed by การ compared to the noun phrases formed by ความ. The propper usage of these grammatical markers will instantly bring the perceived level of your spoken Thai by native Thai speakers to a higher level regardless of your vocabulary or tone control.

Better yet, note the differences in the noun phrases formed by การ compared to the noun phrases formed by ความ. The propper usage of these grammatical markers will instantly bring the perceived level of your spoken Thai by native Thai speakers to a higher level regardless of your vocabulary or tone control.

:D Many thanks kha. ขอบพระคุณเป็นอย่างสูงค่ะ ที่อธิบายและให้ความกระจ่างพวกเราอย่างละเอียดถี่ถ้วน

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-05-17 09:15:32) *

I don`t mean to nitpick here, but can you omit the Chai in the above sentence?

mai chai kwam pit khong pom.

cheers

Michael

I'm not sure about the grammar mechanics of Thai but I use, "mai dai dtan jai" a lot and am understood and I hear Thai people use it, never with a "chai" in it.

:D Many thanks kha. ขอบพระคุณเป็นอย่างสูงค่ะ ที่อธิบายและให้ความกระจ่างพวกเราอย่างละเอียดถี่ถ้วน

I do apologize for not using the more global pronoun "one" in place of the editorial "you" (it's a Yank thing) to avoid ambiguity. But please, the remark was not intended for you or any specific poster but to the many here who are in the intermediate stages of learning Thai.

But if I may, if you note the pic in my avatar space it will become clear that the usage of any honorific pronoun is clearly neither warranted nor deserved.

I'm not sure about the grammar mechanics of Thai but I use, "mai dai dtan jai" a lot and am understood and I hear Thai people use it, never with a "chai" in it.

Note that ตั้งใจ is a verb, while ความผิด is a noun. Hence, you have ไม่ได้ with ตั้งใจ, but ไม่ใช่ with ความผิด. This goes along with the explanation that Meadish gave above:

You're right Michael. The 'chai' has to be there because it is a noun phrase being negated (khwaam phid khawng phom).

Verbs can be negated with just 'mai' or 'mai dai', but nouns/noun phrases need 'mai chai'.