Non-EU citizens will be able to work in Britain after Bulgarian restrictions lifted

webfact

Non-EU citizens will be able to work in Britain after Bulgarian restrictions lifted
Hundreds of thousands of people from poor countries outside the European Union will be free to find jobs in Britain as a result of restrictions on Romanians and Bulgarians being lifted
By Martin Evans, and James Kirkup

LONDON: -- Hundreds of thousands of people from poor countries outside the European Union will be free to find jobs in Britain as a result of restrictions on Romanians and Bulgarians being lifted today.

Romania and Bulgaria, whose citizens will now have the right to work freely in the UK, are offering passports to people in non-EU countries including Moldova and Macedonia.

Historic ties also mean that some Serbs, Ukrainians and Turks are eligible to claim passports that would allow them to work anywhere in the EU. The lifting of labour market restrictions on Bulgarians and Romanians has raised concerns that many will come to the UK to work. The Government has declined to estimate how many newcomers will arrive and ministers will be watching carefully to see if there is an influx.

Anti-immigration groups have predicted that as many as 50,000 extra migrants a year will come and some local councils have suggested services will not be able to cope.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10545457/Non-EU-citizens-will-be-able-to-work-in-Britain-after-Bulgarian-restrictions-lifted.html

-- The Telegraph 2014-01-01

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hundreds of thousands of people from poor countries outside the European Union will be free to find jobs in Britain as a result of restrictions on Romanians and Bulgarians being lifted today. Romania and Bulgaria, whose citizens will now have the right to work freely in the UK, are offering passports to people in non-EU countries including Moldova and Macedonia. Historic ties also mean that some Serbs, Ukrainians and Turks"
to clear the sensational and alarmistic title of the article to those, who might not know about EU, that romania and bulgaria are part of eu for several years. Only now they are permitted to freely work (ie without work permit) in the uk and the other eu countries.

romania and bulgaria are not offering their passports to any non-eu citizens, but only to those who are connected somehow with their countries through marriage or family roots.

there are hundreds of thousands of turks living in the uk, which came to the uk on turkish passports. Same goes for ukrainians

Europe is dying a slow death inflicted by the Europeans themselves. Apart from those "domestic" issues there is a never-ending flow of Eritreans, Ethiopians, Sudanese and all those North Africans taking the Lampedua-express. The collapse is predictable

Actually the UK is shaping up to be one of the strongest economies,, an article this week forecast the UK to take over Germany as the EU's leading economy in the next 15 years, just as China is predicted to take over the number 1 spot from the USA.

The world is changing for sure but the EU is not about to collapse, this is just your opinion probably based upon the tough years since the financial crisis and nothing more.

look at it properly and you will see things are not as you think they are. As for the migration of people into the UK from Bulgaria, that's a different issue and the government is going to have to be careful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529306/British-economy-largest-Europe-2030-Austerity-UK-surging-ahead-Germany-France.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

http://www.smallbusiness.co.uk/news/outlook/2449827/uk-economy-expected-to-top-europe-and39around-2030and39.thtml

Europe is dying a slow death inflicted by the Europeans themselves. Apart from those "domestic" issues there is a never-ending flow of Eritreans, Ethiopians, Sudanese and all those North Africans taking the Lampedua-express. The collapse is predictable

Actually the UK is shaping up to be one of the strongest economies,, an article this week forecast the UK to take over Germany as the EU's leading economy in the next 15 years, just as China is predicted to take over the number 1 spot from the USA.

The world is changing for sure but the EU is not about to collapse, this is just your opinion probably based upon the tough years since the financial crisis and nothing more.

look at it properly and you will see things are not as you think they are. As for the migration of people into the UK from Bulgaria, that's a different issue and the government is going to have to be careful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529306/British-economy-largest-Europe-2030-Austerity-UK-surging-ahead-Germany-France.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

http://www.smallbusiness.co.uk/news/outlook/2449827/uk-economy-expected-to-top-europe-and39around-2030and39.thtml

Very loose reporting . . . but when I see the following I find it all a bit suspicious:

Hailing the strength of Britain’s recovery, the CEBR said population growth would be a factor in our future success. Germany, on the other hand, is set to see its population plummet.

Why will it plummet? Service-based vs Service-based and 4th in the world in exports

One of the many reasons why I left England to live here. The whole country has been sinking into a quagmire for at least 10 years now. That video is awesome !

So you screwed up your own country, left and are now in Thailand, speaking Thai fluently, fully integrated into Thai society. Good for you.

Nope, I didn't screw up the country, the government and businessmen did that. I just saw the way it was going and decided to leave before I got stuck there. What's your excuse ?

Bankers aren't businessmen. That as much is clear. Crooks perhaps, but certainly not businessmen.

Very loose reporting . . . but when I see the following I find it all a bit suspicious:

Hailing the strength of Britain’s recovery, the CEBR said population growth would be a factor in our future success. Germany, on the other hand, is set to see its population plummet.

Why will it plummet? Service-based vs Service-based and 4th in the world in exports

It's the German population that is starting to fall, not its economy.

With a fertility rate of 1.4 (2.1 is the key number as this is the Replacement Rate, ie the number of babies that need to be born to keep a population stable), Germany's population is set to shrink some 20% by the second half of this century.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/14/world/europe/germany-fights-population-drop.html?_r=0

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/sep/21/germany-birthrate-low-fallingW

While being a schrumpfnation might seem like a good outcome, managing the multiple issues that come with an ageing population is one that will increasingly face many nations.

One of the many reasons why I left England to live here. The whole country has been sinking into a quagmire for at least 10 years now. That video is awesome !

Rubbish. Every country is changing and it is a "global" fact that most countries (there are a few exceptions) have many more foreigners in them then previous generations. The world is smaller and people are working abroad due to global trading and manufacturing.

As each country allows foreigners to work in their country there will always be people like you who see this a negative thing, sure there are downsides but what about the upsides? For example more taxpayers in the country, (I am sure I pay much more tax then the average Thai for example), new skills and shared learning, stronger trade agreements and basically support for the countries growth. Have you thought of those? Seems not..

It is also ironic that as you complain about the influx on foreigners in the the UK, which you site as one of your reasons for leaving, you have actually moved abroad yourself and plonked yourself in Thailand. It's hypocritical, it's a brave new world, get used to it, try and accept it because it's not going to change.

When the government is paying money printing leaflets in Polish language instructing them how to claim money on the dole meanwhile ignoring much more important things and claiming there is no money to pay for them, you know there is something wrong. I have no problem with foreigners as long as they don't try to chest the system. Don't try and pick a fight with me as I am not interested. Save your vitriolic speeches for someone else who gives a crap...There are many more important reasons why I left but this was one small part of it.

Edited by tingtongteesood

If they're working what's the problem? They'll pay tax and contribute to the economy just as the Poles and other EU citizends have done.

Depends which jobs they take. What do our unemployed do? Move to Eastern Europe?

• Like 1

If they're working what's the problem? They'll pay tax and contribute to the economy just as the Poles and other EU citizends have done.

Depends which jobs they take. What do our unemployed do? Move to Eastern Europe?

I thought they all moved to Thailand.

Not this time round, no big redundancy payouts like the dockers and miners.

If British people took the jobs, they wouldn't be there for EEA migrants to take!

A short while ago I was talking to someone high up in the street cleaning department of a large London Borough and I asked him why most of his street cleaners were Poles.

He replied that they all were; because British people wouldn't take the job!

• Like 2

It is a monumental blunder,

increasing the numbers of the work-force with workers willing to take lower wages and work longer hours,

while not expanding the available jobs to accommodate these new workers, will certainly have a downward pull on wages.

• Like 2

If British people took the jobs, they wouldn't be there for EEA migrants to take!

A short while ago I was talking to someone high up in the street cleaning department of a large London Borough and I asked him why most of his street cleaners were Poles.

If they paid more for these jobs I am sure more Brits would take them

If they paid more for these jobs I am sure more Brits would take them

Councils can't pay more for these jobs because the budget is eaten up by welfare. Had a council officer in the UK tell me this. He was quite open about it and scathing of the welfare state.

Out of the frying pan into the fire springs to mind, obviously for different reasons, but no sweat the newly proposed tax to entice the better tourists has to be correct. So your reasoning will most likely be right.

When the government is paying money printing leaflets in Polish language instructing them how to claim money on the dole

Except it doesn't.

Such official leaflets are available in English, large print, braille or audio ( see DWP leaflets and how to order them). In Scotland they are also available in Scottish Gaelic and in Wales in Welsh.

Some organisations, such as MyUKinfo, who provide such translations do, or in the past have, received some government funding, but these days most of their funding comes from commercial sponsors.

Every time the topic of EU/EEA migrants comes up the ignorant start pontificating about EEA nationals flooding into the UK and immediately claiming benefits, being given council houses etc. The plain fact is that this does not happen.

Until an EEA migrant has permanent residence, which takes 5 years, they can only remain in the UK if they do not become an unreasonable burden upon the state.

• Like 2