Non-EU citizens will be able to work in Britain after Bulgarian restrictions lifted

webfact

Yes work, they are no longer able to claim benefits for the first three months. So have a job and house lined up before you come.

This has actually always effectively been the case. As already said, EEA migrants have no automatic right to most benefits until they have PR, and they need to have lived in the UK for at least 5 years without being an unreasonable burden upon the state to get that.

The 'legislation' you refer to is merely a cosmetic exercise by Cameron in a feeble effort to show that he is 'doing something' about immigration.

His, and his government's, time on this issue would be far better spent educating the British public about the actual facts; rather than knee jerk reactions to anti immigration propaganda by the Mail and similar papers and rants by Farage and others.

Are the 500,000 EU folk that have been ''lost'' in the UK paying tax and NI.......................Don't think so..........sad.png

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, that old chestnut.

Despite the claims of the Mail, at most only half these 'missing' people are Eastern Europeans!

Did the authorities miss 500,000 Eastern European immigrants?

There is nothing to suggest that any of these people, wherever they came from, are in the UK and/or working illegally.

Edited by 7by7

If they're working what's the problem? They'll pay tax and contribute to the economy just as the Poles and other EU citizends have done.

The problem is the poles, Romanians etc will work for a lot less than Brits and will put up with harsher conditions, making the minimum wage the norm and taking away any rights the workers had.

• Like 1

Despite the claims of the Mail, at most only half these 'missing' people are Eastern Europeans!

There is nothing to suggest that any of these people, wherever they came from, are in the UK and/or working illegally.

cheesy.gif , the UK gov have admitted it. You are blind. laugh.png

cheesy.gif , the UK gov have admitted it. You are blind. laugh.png

You should read the link before making comments.

Conclusion

While the ONS has added nearly half a million people to its latest population estimates, the Daily Mail headline claim that these were all "Eastern European migrants" isn't substantiated by the data.

Official figures from the ONS suggest around 242,000 of this total were migrants from EU8 countries; still the largest single factor, but around half of the half million claimed by the Mail.

Also, the Daily Mail's suggestion that the reason behind the shortfall was that "so many migrants flooded into Britain from Eastern Europe that authorities were unable to count them" (emphasis added) is contentious. While the ONS does mention limitations to the International Passenger Survey in tracking migrants, it was one of a number of factors that played into the revised modelling which has resulted in the larger figure.

I repeat: there is nothing to suggest that these people, wherever they came from, are in the UK and/or working illegally.

Not even the Mail has suggested that.

If you have evidence to the contrary, produce it.

I read somewhere that the UK gov admitted it. Goooooooooooo search. You folk make me sick. When in business in the UK I knew about the influx of non tax or NI payers. If you want to live in your ivory tower and close your eyes, that is up to you. BUT, isn't it strange that in LOS my friends from many nationalities talk and think the same as me, BUT they cannot air their views, as it might be construed as racist in their homeland. sad.png

• Like 2

These discussions always end up comparing extremes. It's part of Godwin's Law I believe.

There exists a serious problem in the UK of the career welfare claimant. I do know of people in their forties who've never had a job yet have 'a bad knee'. Well, I'm chronically diabetic with heart disease and somehow I manage it and there's often long periods between projects, being self-employed I have no access to the system. I am of course obliged to pay for them.

You can see why I get pi$$ed off with this.

Well I'm very sorry for you Mr. MJP.

I assume you must be male between 32 and 55, no specific religious believes,

heterosexual, single or divorced, Caucasian and British.

Sorry, no specific rights for you!!! sad.png

If at least you could try to be gay, Mormon or a pregnant teenager, if you could be

dyslexic, disabled or dis-functional, you would have some rights and if you could be

a pregnant, gay, dis-funktional, teenage Mormon, you get all the rights. crazy.gif

BUT, you are probably just Mister Average, so only two rights for you - pay tax and

NI contribution. Suppose, you could vote as well, if only you could find some English

leaflets in the voting office and voting day is not an important football/rugby/golfing day wink.png

I read somewhere that the UK gov admitted it. Goooooooooooo search. You folk make me sick. When in business in the UK I knew about the influx of non tax or NI payers. If you want to live in your ivory tower and close your eyes, that is up to you. BUT, isn't it strange that in LOS my friends from many nationalities talk and think the same as me, BUT they cannot air their views, as it might be construed as racist in their homeland. sad.png

Transam, you just don't get it, do you.

No one has suggested that the estimates of the ONS compared to the 2011 census figures do not show a higher number of immigrants, from the EU8 countries as well as elsewhere, than first thought. The government have accepted those figures and I have not denied that.

Read the link.

I ask again; where is your evidence that these 500,000 'missing,' or just the approx. 50% of them who did come from Eastern Europe, are living or working in the UK illegally?

You have posted previously about how when in the UK you employed people 'cash in hand' and knew of other people working illegally who you refused to report to the proper authorities. As such, you were part of the problem.

No one has suggested that the estimates of the ONS compared to the 2011 census figures do not show a higher number of immigrants, from the EU8 countries as well as elsewhere, than first thought. The government have accepted those figures and I have not denied that.

Read the link.

I ask again; where is your evidence that these 500,000 'missing,' or just the approx. 50% of them who did come from Eastern Europe, are living or working in the UK illegally?

You have posted previously about how when in the UK you employed people 'cash in hand' and knew of other people working illegally who you refused to report to the proper authorities. As such, you were part of the problem.

I didn't employ people illegally, the companies staff were illegal...........Big difference. I asked questions..

Do a google, it might open your eyes. rolleyes.gif

If they're working what's the problem? They'll pay tax and contribute to the economy just as the Poles and other EU citizends have done.

The problem is the poles, Romanians etc will work for a lot less than Brits and will put up with harsher conditions, making the minimum wage the norm and taking away any rights the workers had.

Well I do agree with you, that they will be working for much less then the Brits would

but don't blame them, blame the employers who pay less to those foreigners because

they are convenient, cheap and are not organised.

Not the immigrants fault. We just use them to fill our empty spaces and as cheap

labourers and when things go wrong in our countries, we feel very nationalistic,

we want them all out. We will even point our fingers at people who have foreign

sounding names or looks but have our nationality.

I believe it's not just a British syndrome but all over our "developed" world.

Everywhere a little bit different but same-same.

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 1

Well I do agree with you, that they will be working for much less then the Brits would

but don't blame them, blame the employers who pay less to those foreigners because

Not the immigrants fault. We just use them to fill our empty spaces and as cheap

labourers and when things go wrong in our countries, we feel very nationalistic,

I never blame them, I blame the government 100%. It is what they want, to make the uk more competitive with the rest of the world, but as a result life is getting harder for working class Brits and the rich get richer.

• Like 1

Read the link.

I didn't employ people illegally, the companies staff were illegal...........Big difference. I asked questions..

You knew your sub contractors staff were working illegally.

Did you report them to the proper authorities?

We know the answer to that as you have previously said that you didn't.

Just because you, through a contractor, employed illegal workers does not mean that the majority, or even a significant minority, of EEA migrants in the UK are also working illegally.

Instead of telling me to an unspecified Google, why can't you provide the evidence I have asked for?

Could it be because it doesn't exist?

These discussions always end up comparing extremes. It's part of Godwin's Law I believe.

There exists a serious problem in the UK of the career welfare claimant. I do know of people in their forties who've never had a job yet have 'a bad knee'. Well, I'm chronically diabetic with heart disease and somehow I manage it and there's often long periods between projects, being self-employed I have no access to the system. I am of course obliged to pay for them.

You can see why I get pi$$ed off with this.

Well I'm very sorry for you Mr. MJP.

I assume you must be male between 32 and 55, no specific religious believes,

heterosexual, single or divorced, Caucasian and British.

Sorry, no specific rights for you!!! sad.png

If at least you could try to be gay, Mormon or a pregnant teenager, if you could be

dyslexic, disabled or dis-functional, you would have some rights and if you could be

a pregnant, gay, dis-funktional, teenage Mormon, you get all the rights. crazy.gif

BUT, you are probably just Mister Average, so only two rights for you - pay tax and

NI contribution. Suppose, you could vote as well, if only you could find some English

leaflets in the voting office and voting day is not an important football/rugby/golfing day wink.png

Blimey, spot on.

I couldn't face getting rejected by blokes as well, but I think dysfunctional, yes I could have a right good go at.

I'll start banging bin lids together in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

One of the perks of EU membership. ermm.gif

Those going in to work and contribute, fair enough, it is their 'right'. It is the bludgers ripping off the working man that has many up in arms, and rightly so, and reason why so many hop, skip & jump other EU nations as UK is a soft touch.

Folk attempting to compare the odd farang over here not being able to pay hospital bills, stealing from 7-11 etc; c'mon, wind your heads in guys... the vast majority of farang do nothing but poor money into the Thai economy, with practically zero rights. The real kicker in all this is when genuine British people try to take their other halves over and have a tough time of it, often not qualifying at all. The whole system is ass-backards and just typifies the mentality and state of things over there of not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. Good luck to em, they can have it! bah.gif

• Like 1

Read the link.

You knew your sub contractors staff were working illegally.

Did you report them to the proper authorities?

We know the answer to that as you have previously said that you didn't.

Just because you, through a contractor, employed illegal workers does not mean that the majority, or even a significant minority, of EEA migrants in the UK are also working illegally.

Instead of telling me to an unspecified Google, why can't you provide the evidence I have asked for?

Could it be because it doesn't exist?

Just YOU read yahoo news, thats all I read. Not to difficult for you is it, one who defends non UK folk milking the UK system. When you have done that come back here and see what you have learned. Why NOW has the UK brought in as a last resort mega stuff to prevent the ''benefit'' claiming tide ?

Transam, I have never defended anyone who is "milking the UK system" regardless of their nationality.

It is not I who has in the past allowed people to work illegally; it is you.

If evidence of your assertion is so easy to find, why have you yet to produce any?

You ask "Why NOW has the UK brought in as a last resort mega stuff to prevent the ''benefit'' claiming tide?" I refer you to the comment I made on this earlier.

Edited to add link.

Edited by 7by7

Transam, I have never defended anyone who is "milking the UK system" regardless of their nationality.

It is not I who has in the past allowed people to work illegally; it is you.

If evidence of your assertion is so easy to find, why have you yet to produce any?

You ask "Why NOW has the UK brought in as a last resort mega stuff to prevent the ''benefit'' claiming tide?" I refer you to the comment I made on this earlier.

Tut Tut, please don't try to point a finger. rolleyes.gif Do you EVER go to a restaurant ? do YOU ever ask for their legality to work there ? Nooooooooooo, of course you don't, but the ''lost'' 500,000 folk in the UK are WORKING, taking jobs from natives of the country, don't you get it.

Many immigrants or migrants are doing the right thing but a zillion are not. If you have noooooooooooo experience of what really is going on then you should read or listen. Same as government should do. Seems after many years the Government is now sitting up and seeing things instead of sitting in their world of a nice pension.

Again, you accuse this 'lost' 500,000 of all working illegally.

Not even the Mail is claiming that!

It was their entry into the UK that was not properly recorded. This does not mean that they are working illegally.

It is possible that some staff in one of the restaurants I have visited in the past have been illegal workers; but if I knew of it I would report it.

Unlike you, I have never knowingly been involved in the employment of illegal workers. Nor have I refused to report illegal working when I have known about it; again unlike you.

You cannot on the one hand complain of illegal workers and on the other hand be involved in the employment of illegal workers.

Again, you accuse this 'lost' 500,000 of all working illegally.

Not even the Mail is claiming that!

It was their entry into the UK that was not properly recorded. This does not mean that they are working illegally.

It is possible that some staff in one of the restaurants I have visited in the past have been illegal workers; but if I knew of it I would report it.

Unlike you, I have never knowingly been involved in the employment of illegal workers. Nor have I refused to report illegal working when I have known about it; again unlike you.

You cannot on the one hand complain of illegal workers and on the other hand be involved in the employment of illegal workers.

rolleyes.gif

I never blame them, I blame the government 100%. It is what they want, to make the uk more competitive with the rest of the world, but as a result life is getting harder for working class Brits and the rich get richer.

I have to agree with Bockcoy

You cant blame the immigrants they are doing the best they can, and you cant blame the employers, If the government allowed it,or turns a blind eye to it, and your competition is using it, then you have no choose than to use it your self also, or become uncompetitive and perish.

But the issue in this Thread and the OP is not illegal immigration but legal immigration from Bulgaria,

When Bulgaria initially joined the EU there were limitations on the number of immigrants allowed to legally immigrate to the UK, this limitations have now being lifted,

Why is Bulgaria different from other EU countries that also have no limitation?

To understand this you need to understand the political situation present in Bulgaria,

Bulgaria has dreams of a greater Bulgaria , with claims in territories in Moldavia and Macedonia, To bolster it's claims to this territories, Bulgaria is offering Bulgarian passports to any one claiming Bulgarian ancestry in these countries. Given the economic conditions in Moldavia and Macedonia (country claiming the name of Macedonia, not Greek province of Macedonia) I would not be surprise if every one there did not some how find some Bulgarian ancestry

So you all don't have to only worry about Bulgarian immigration, but an influx of Moldavians, Macedonians, and any one else who makes it there.

Bulgaria will be the back door to legal immigration in the EU, don't be surprised when you see Black Bulgarians arriving in Englandtongue.png

You are getting a little over-excited about the issue of Moldova (Moldavia was the Soviet Republic, Moldova since independence in 1991) and Macedonia. While a great little story currently being peddled by the usual suspects (Daily Mail and Telegraph and their friends at Migration Watch), reality is not quite so dramatic.

Moldova's population of approx. 3.6 million has faced severe rates of emigration since independence. Possibly over half the population is currently living and working outside Moldova, in Russia and western Europe. Most are there illegally. If they gain Bulgarian citizenship they became legal residents and thus taxpayers etc. If you read the Mail it tries to make out that the entire Moldovan and Macedonian populations are heading for the UK.

Similarly in Macedonia over 10% of the population has legally emigrated since the break-up of Yugoslavia, and the total figure is probably 3 times that number. It is somewhat unlikely that the entire populations of these 2 countries will up sticks and move to the UK.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/report-macedonia-drained-by-migration

Here's an intelligent, non-agenda driven analysis of the impact of migration in the UK:

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/6399/economics/impact-of-immigration-on-uk-economy/

^^

In the comments section . . .

Ryan:

The argument concerning the dependency ration is unpersuasive and ridiculous. In the short term yes it helps the dependency ratio, but you fail to highlight that in the long run immigrants themselves become old, and more immigrants are required to fill up the ratio- a never ending, uncontrollable cycle. For example to keep the UK 4 plus to 1 ratio (that is 4 working to support one pensioner) WOULD REQUIRE 199 MILLION BY 2051 AND TO 303 MILLION BY THE END OF THE CENTURY – (source migrationwatch- immigration and pensions study (1.24- 25/1/2010)

Whatever happened to those 1950's documentaries about how everyone was going to live a life of leisure because of technology?

Present monetary system is unsustainable and plain does not work. A system dependent upon infinite growth in a finite environment. Not going to work.

Edited by MJP

I have to agree with Bockcoy

You cant blame the immigrants they are doing the best they can, and you cant blame the employers, If the government allowed it,or turns a blind eye to it, and your competition is using it, then you have no choose than to use it your self also, or become uncompetitive and perish.

But the issue in this Thread and the OP is not illegal immigration but legal immigration from Bulgaria,

When Bulgaria initially joined the EU there were limitations on the number of immigrants allowed to legally immigrate to the UK, this limitations have now being lifted,

Why is Bulgaria different from other EU countries that also have no limitation?

To understand this you need to understand the political situation present in Bulgaria,

Bulgaria has dreams of a greater Bulgaria , with claims in territories in Moldavia and Macedonia, To bolster it's claims to this territories, Bulgaria is offering Bulgarian passports to any one claiming Bulgarian ancestry in these countries. Given the economic conditions in Moldavia and Macedonia (country claiming the name of Macedonia, not Greek province of Macedonia) I would not be surprise if every one there did not some how find some Bulgarian ancestry

So you all don't have to only worry about Bulgarian immigration, but an influx of Moldavians, Macedonians, and any one else who makes it there.

Bulgaria will be the back door to legal immigration in the EU, don't be surprised when you see Black Bulgarians arriving in Englandtongue.png

You are getting a little over-excited about the issue of Moldova (Moldavia was the Soviet Republic, Moldova since independence in 1991) and Macedonia. While a great little story currently being peddled by the usual suspects (Daily Mail and Telegraph and their friends at Migration Watch), reality is not quite so dramatic.

Moldova's population of approx. 3.6 million has faced severe rates of emigration since independence. Possibly over half the population is currently living and working outside Moldova, in Russia and western Europe. Most are there illegally. If they gain Bulgarian citizenship they became legal residents and thus taxpayers etc. If you read the Mail it tries to make out that the entire Moldovan and Macedonian populations are heading for the UK.

Similarly in Macedonia over 10% of the population has legally emigrated since the break-up of Yugoslavia, and the total figure is probably 3 times that number. It is somewhat unlikely that the entire populations of these 2 countries will up sticks and move to the UK.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/report-macedonia-drained-by-migration

Here's an intelligent, non-agenda driven analysis of the impact of migration in the UK:

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/6399/economics/impact-of-immigration-on-uk-economy/

Hmmm, just wonder, what are property prices in Bulgaria?

Suppose once every one has left for Russia or the UK, I'll just grab it.

Might get a nice mansion by the Black Sea, build a huge casino and

retirement homes for disgruntled G13 citizens. coffee1.gif

Anyone interested in investing? Please contact my Nigerian agent, he

conveniently moved to Regency Street with his Ghanes financial advisor. giggle.gif

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 1

Hmmm, just wonder, what are property prices in Bulgaria?

Suppose once every one has left for Russia or the UK, I'll just grab it.

Might get a nice mansion by the Black Sea, build a huge casino and

retirement homes for disgruntled G13 citizens. coffee1.gif

Anyone interested in investing? Please contact my Nigerian agent, he

conveniently moved to Regency Street with his Ghanes financial advisor. giggle.gif

Joeling apparently all you have to do is claim Bulgarian ancestry, and you can get a Bulgarian Passport, I hear it is excellent for swatting flies

Ps: i already contacted your Nigerian agent, actually he contacted me, and as it turns out , there was a tragedy in his family and his brother the president of the republic was arrested, and he need to get his money out of the con try, I already send him my bank account and routing number, and as soon as his funds are deposited in my account we will be investing in your venture.

• Like 1

Depends which jobs they take. What do our unemployed do? Move to Eastern Europe?

If British people took the jobs, they wouldn't be there for EEA migrants to take!

A short while ago I was talking to someone high up in the street cleaning department of a large London Borough and I asked him why most of his street cleaners were Poles.

He replied that they all were; because British people wouldn't take the job!

If they paid more for these jobs I am sure more Brits would take them

Exactly! not many like to think they are only worth a minimum rate, (unless the employer does a reduced cash deal)Which should be reserved for those starting out in the job market.

Depends which jobs they take. What do our unemployed do? Move to Eastern Europe?

No don't be silly man giggle.gif

They educate their children how to get to scavenge the most of our social system.

I guarantee you, in order to achieve that, you need at least two generations of

British experience to do so. Absolute no chance as a genuine unemployed

British worker who used to pay tax until unemployed or for any foreigner who

enters the UK for the first time.

An average British worker working his 45 hours per week plus numerous overtime

will be worse off then the average British unemployed person (mostly doing the

odd, regular cash in hand job) who knows how to get all kind of benefits - benefits

paid by his neighbour.

Now if you're British, are unemployed and subsequently have 7 children, you will

definitely better of then the average Doctor or a GP working in a hospital, maybe,

just maybe even better off then the average Brit living here in Thailand

BUT I suppose it's easier to blame foreigners then ones own kind.

They are not better off than a average GP,who in my opinion are worth their salary.Don't believe everything you read in the Tabloids.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-average-salary-for-a-doctor

http://www.qsponge.com/questions/13736773/What_s_the_average_salary_of_GPs_in_the_UK

Edited by MAJIC

Say millions do arrive.

Where are they going to live?

Is there not a housing crisis in the UK due to the lowest house building output for decades?

There's not even sufficient 'accommodation'.

No worries, Milton Keynes 2 on Dartmoor, MK 3 on Exmoor and MK4 in the lake district will take care of

a million. Maybe one more somewhere in Lincolnshire to welcome all those millions of immigrants. Maybe

somewhere around Boston just to give it a bit of a historical flair. That would even stimulate the economy,

create new jobs and those "foreign invaders" wouldn't need to queue in front of us in the benefits offices. whistling.gif

So you are not in favour of National Parks then?

^^

In the comments section . . .

Ryan:

The argument concerning the dependency ration is unpersuasive and ridiculous. In the short term yes it helps the dependency ratio, but you fail to highlight that in the long run immigrants themselves become old, and more immigrants are required to fill up the ratio- a never ending, uncontrollable cycle. For example to keep the UK 4 plus to 1 ratio (that is 4 working to support one pensioner) WOULD REQUIRE 199 MILLION BY 2051 AND TO 303 MILLION BY THE END OF THE CENTURY (source migrationwatch- immigration and pensions study (1.24- 25/1/2010)

Whatever happened to those 1950's documentaries about how everyone was going to live a life of leisure because of technology?

Present monetary system is unsustainable and plain does not work. A system dependent upon infinite growth in a finite environment. Not going to work.

The entire world has bought into consumerism. You constantly need more and more people to justify the system and keep "growth" as your ultimate value, in terms of production, profits, and, of course, the ever consuming population. It's a giant Ponzi scheme, and eventually it will crash.