Tricks for Lighting the BBQ

thehelmsman

If you have some clean small kindling and some Kerosene, just soak the dry kindling in the Kero for a couple of minutes and then place that at the bottom of the wood pile and light it.

Mate of mine starts his in sort of the same way as Thai at Heart suggests above. But he uses old (paper) egg cartons dipped in old cooking oil.

David48 cowboy.gif

Trouble with kero is unless you let it burn off the burgers can taste oily, family use diesel :(

+1 on the kitchen towel and old cooking oil, works a treat.

Anyone else find the real charcoal we get here starts much more easily than those ruddy briquettes?

Cooking oil on tissue paper under kindling.

Much better than throwing polymers in your cooking fire.

I used to save all my old cooking oil, and fill a thick glass jar with beans and make a cotton wick coiled around the bottom sticking up through the beans (can use sand or pebbles as well). Soak it all with your old cooking oil castoffs. It might be smokey, but its fine for outdoors....and you can make bamboo torch lights for the yard. Saves electric bills on outdoor lighting/candles. The smell is not offensive, but not suitable for indoors. You can use a small empty metal container and just do the same thing, then use it to light your charcoal.

We use dry corn cobs soaked in diesel. I only use a couple and make sure that they are fully burned before putting anything on the grill. My wife uses for the fire in her restaurant for the noodle pot so it doesn't matter. I've never tried cooking oil but I guess that it would also work. The dried cobs are readily available where I live from the harvested corn in my back 40.

For you charcoal enthusiasts...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Charcoal

One other thing, get one of those thick metal kitchen containers with drilled holes all over....sort of for holding utensils. Put your kindling in the bottom, and charcoal on top. Use a small battery fan after it gets going, to really get the heat action. Then pour that (use a handle) into Your BBQ.

CharcoalStarter2L.jpg

Magnesium ribbon to impress, but that's just me.....................wink.png

The missus takes one of those cooked chicken presses with charcoal in it and puts it on the cooker hob until it is lit. Uses this as a base for the BBQ. Just have to keep the dogs out of her feet while in transit.

• Like 1

Up here there is a type of pine wood loaded with resin that lights very easy and burns strong. Everybody uses it to start their fires.

That's what most use in Chiang Mai also. I have BBQ starter fluid which works quite nicely, same as I normally used in the US. My BIL still uses the starter wood (mai keet) even after I tried to show him how to use the starter fluid. He decided it was easier his way. smile.png

kingsford-charcoal-lighter-fluid.png