Bangkok siege set for Jan 13

webfact

I find so much dangerous and illegal what Suthep is doing, in any other westerner civilized country he and other leaders would have been arrested on multiple counts...

But we have to remember we are in Thailand, and things does not work that way. Let's brace on 12th and hope everything will go well.

I see possibility of military coup before that day growing exponentially...

I find so much immoral self serving and illegal what PTP has done, in any other westerner civilized country they would all have been arrested on multiple counts... See? huh.png

Shins disaster should have been stopped long ago indeed. But I am still wondering why during Democrats government they did not make reforms to avoid disaster happening, again.

If you look at my signature you will see how I despise both Thaksin and Suthep, in the same equal way.

• Like 1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he really shuts down Bangkok, foreign investors shall react and move their businesses to a more civilized country in the region. After the mess with the flooding 2 years ago, they will recognize that this country is just too immature for serious investments. And the cost structures aren't as competitive with the strong Baht anyway.

Suthep may have his one-man-show, but the impact is much greater. His followers are just too uneducated to realize that.

• Like 2

Why not just let the yellows have Bangkok as their country? (It'll be a sunken city in 50 years) and the rest of the country belong to the reds. See how Bkk gets on without any taxi drivers, cooks, cleaners and dare i say it, xxxxxx.

You must be a newbie here! The southern provinces are no fans of reds.

• Like 2

stocking up is not any problem - but i hope you will do not have to renew your visa and work permit during the purported shutdown (as i will have to do).... unless immigration and some ministries' services (labor dept. for example) will still work at alternate locations...

The most trying aspect of this whole Fascist street show is responding to Thai acquaintances (Bangkok types) who want to know "How foreign people inside and outside our country feel about this?" The challenge ? How does one keep from suggesting that in all likelihood "Foreigners" outside Thailand could not care less ? And that "Foreigners" living here have more or less been provisioned for a month and have been waiting for choirmaster Suthep to "seize" his Bangkok choir- stall and rejoice at having (once again) SOLD it TO THEMSELVES ;-) )))) This Suthep "choir stall" will stop their Bangkok-style chorusing, shipping will stop, commerce will stop, tour groups fearing lawsuits (at home) will re-route, to Cuba and the Realm will grind to a halt in anticipation of a Great Leap Back to the Future. It'll be fun to watch as the Bangkok "elites" then try to assure the rest of the world (that really could not care less) that things are getting back to normal. And even more fun to watch their fellow AEC members (who have already had a good laugh as they watched "the, um, crossroads of AEC" delay its OWN entry into the Community by one year ;-))) roll around on the floor trying not to laugh out loud in front of the cameras. Investment will slow down. The two trillion baht $ 700 BILLION World Bank piñata might be hoisted out of reach (for the moment) and "Foreigners" will just kick back on their balconies here in Bangers or on their Upcountry farms and dick around with their BBQ's. The hard part really is telling one's Bangkok acquaintances that no Foreigner that YOU know of really gives a flying "dam_n". I'm stocking Beer Lao and Yellowtail charcoal and drinking water.

If he really shuts down Bangkok, foreign investors shall react and move their businesses to a more civilized country in the region. After the mess with the flooding 2 years ago, they will recognize that this country is just too immature for serious investments. And the cost structures aren't as competitive with the strong Baht anyway.

Suthep may have his one-man-show, but the impact is much greater. His followers are just too uneducated to realize that.

This has been going on for years and years and years here.

Why would this impact foreign investors? IMO just business as usual. Nothing new.

• Like 1

Suthep sets January 13 for Bangkok shutdown

1-2-2014-9-42-35-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban declared Wednesday night that the planned shutdown of the entire capital will begin January 13.

In a speech to protesters at the Democracy Monument, the PDRC leader said the Bangkok shutdown would begin from 9.00 a.m. on January 13 with protest rallies at the capital’s 20 major intersections.

He said that protesters would seize major intersections in their responsible areas to hold rallies.

He attributed the partial shutdown of the capital on December 12 which was taken part by millions of people, saying the January 13 shutdown will be even bigger with more places to be blockaded with even larger number of the people.

For example, he said, the Pathumwan intersection would be seized by Chulalongkorn university students to hold activities while in other areas the people would choose by themselves which place they would hold rallies, they could do so.

He ruled out a proposal to black out the entire capital saying that it would affect the people.

However, he said, power blackout would be at government offices, houses of those cabinet ministers and senior government officials still serving the caretaker government.

But before the January 13 shutdown, the PDRC leader said that there would be major activities to mount pressure on the caretaker prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra to step down.

He said that on January 5-6 he would lead street demonstration to various places in the capital to persuade the people to join the January 13 mass capital shutdown.

He compared the mass street demonstrations on January 5-6 to delivering invitation cards to the people to take part in the January 13’s seizure of the capital with their bare hands.

For PDRC supporters in the provinces, Mr Suthep said they still have 12 days to prepare for the People’s Revolution day.

He advised them to pack their suitcases for the capital siege operation because the fight would be prolonged.

But he said that if they were not convenient to arrive in the capital, they could siege provincial town halls simultaneously with Bangkok shutdown.

He assured that although the January 13 shutdown will be participated by millions of people, all will be peaceful.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-sets-january-13-bangkok-shutdown/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-02

gbp jumped 70 satang overnight - me gusto.

waiting now for a military to step in and for the death of a few important persons for more jumps till 75b/gbp.

ps who writes those "well planned" the nation articles?

Suthep apparently wants Thailand to gain even more of a reputation as third world, lawless and undemocratic. It is unfortunate the thugs locally known as police are incapable of doing real policing and stop this Tyrant. The elite desperately want to regain control at all cost.

So just when was the latest final push and after that Suthep would give himself up??? just that he has said it a number of times it's hard to keep upblink.png

Don't worry about keeping up, the PTP high speed gravy train is heading for the depot judging by the panic that seems to be gripping the senior caretaker MPs.

Yingluck, Jarupong, Surapong and Chalerm all seem rattled by what's coming from the other direction..

They are rattled but the paymaster in Dubai will have them stalwart in the trenches and order them to fight until the last bullet...literally !

• Like 1

This has been going on for years and years and years here.

Why would this impact foreign investors? IMO just business as usual. Nothing new.

I don't remember a shutdown of Bangkok has been going on "for years", where people cannot go to work and government offices close.

The last quasi shutdown was during the floodings, and then Japanese investors threatened to pull out if something like that happened again. We will see how far Suthep will go, but don't underestimate foreign capital. The other countries in the region don't have that extreme lack of common sense.

Mr Suthep seems to have adopted the Scorched Earth tactics to derail the 2/2 elections.

I can't believe a major city will totally shut down for days, let alone weeks.

I think the threat is just hyperbole. Not even Mr Suthep can tolerate seeing millions of people inconvenienced and billions of Baht lost.

Although I am currently in BKK, I see no need to hoard anything. I will keep a bit more cash at home though.

Mr Suthep hopes some sort of intervention will happen before then. He'll see either tanks, or 72 virgins.

S is not putting a siege on Bangkok but he his taking a complete country hostage only to get his personnel vendetta through. The present government is sitting duck to avoid any confrontation with the military as they of course are afraid of a military coup. The complete governmental task are on a stand still. Get it over get you military coup to get back Thailand out of this misary. The election will not serve the purpose as the guys around S are nut heads which will not accept a democratic process. Each country will get the government the deserve. Obviously Thailand will deserve a system where a minority is ruling the masses.

• Like 1

i think the irony of suthep's anti-corruption movement and the hypocrisy of his plan to return power to "the people" is becoming clear to people on both sides of the shirt colour divide

it's time for the "democrats" to put the leash (and muzzle) back on this mad dog, and let some more sensible characters take them forward

• Like 1

Protest leader declares 'Bangkok shutdown' Jan 13
By Digital Content

1388627846800.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 2 – Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has announced a total seizure and shutdown of Thailand’s capital on January 13 in an uncompromising attempt to pressure the caretaker government to resign.

In his speech at the Democracy Monument last night, he said at least 20 stages will be set up on different locations in the capital, mainly at intersections and major roads, which will paralyse Thailand's main city starting at 9 am.

“This time Bangkok will be occupied for 10 to 20 days. Provincial people have 12 days to pack their belongings and travel to the capital for the prolonged battle,” said the former deputy prime minister.

“Please be careful in making your trips to Bangkok. You should travel during daytime for safety reason. Students should join the civic movement which will become another chapter in Thai history.”

Mr Suthep said anti-government protesters will march to a number of Bangkok communities on Sunday and Monday to invite people to come out in full force on January 13 for a peaceful and non-violent demonstration citywide.

He planned to walk with protesters on Sunday and vowed to fight until the government concedes.

The former Democrat deputy prime minister urged demonstrators to carry cameras or mobile phones to take photos in case of attacks or intimidation by the authorities during their protests.

“We do not need police protection. We only want them not to assault us,” he said, referring to an offer by Metropolitan police chief Kamronwit Thoopkrachang to provide conveniences and safety to protesters.

Mr Suthep called on television stations to report the protesters’ movement and demonstrations, claiming that there might be blackout at state-run Modernine TV (Channel 9) and Channel 11 if they insist on merely reporting the government side.

Mr Suthep, secretary general of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), has led anti-government movement since October 31, staring with a protest against the ruling Pheu Thai Party’s proposed Amnesty Bill in Parliament.

The escalating protest later compelled the Yingluck Shinawatra government to resign and dissolve the House of Representatives, leading to a snap poll on February 2.

The PDRC has rejected the election unless a national reform takes place. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-02

The EC continues to show it has no idea how to assure compliance to election laws. It says things can't be done when the law says it can, and change has been made in the past. It says it has no power then issues proclamations. At least now with two parties registered for the elections, the 95% rule is off the table and EC officials can stop speculating about its effect. If there is reform needed it is with the EC.

There are just too many possible configurations to think about to express an objective opinion however anyone who admires Suthep needs to watch Robert Carlisle's portrayal of a certain Austrian Corporal who rose to some fame / infamy in Germany in the 1930s - there is also an Italian version of the same story.....

• Like 1

i think the irony of suthep's anti-corruption movement and the hypocrisy of his plan to return power to "the people" is becoming clear to people on both sides of the shirt colour divide

it's time for the "democrats" to put the leash (and muzzle) back on this mad dog, and let some more sensible characters take them forward

That's the real shame of this situation - the Dems have not stepped forward to defend the rule of law and the democratic process. For political expediency, the Dems are silent, because this seems to serve their purpose.

In the US, I admired Sen McCain (during the 2008 Pres campaign) for stepping up and telling his supporters that they were wrong to call Obama an Arab, a Muslim, a non-US-citizen ... even though it might have served McCain better to say nothing.

Our John McCain is a statesman (and a hero), Abhisit is a politician (so I can't really blame Abhisit).

And Abhisit is probably one of the better Thai politicians of all parties.

One can substitute Abhisit with the names of 1000 other Thai politicians.

Why not just let the yellows have Bangkok as their country? (It'll be a sunken city in 50 years) and the rest of the country belong to the reds. See how Bkk gets on without any taxi drivers, cooks, cleaners and dare i say it, xxxxxx.

I love this comment

• Like 1