Seeking 'return to morality' via a mass people's movement: Interview

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Seeking 'return to morality' via a mass people's movement

BANGKOK: -- The Nation's Hataikarn Treesuwan spoke recently to the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee core leader, Witthaya Kaewparadai, with the PDRC calling for a mass turnout of people to occupy and shut down Bangkok for a few days after New Year's to fight against the "Thaksin regime".

Witthaya, who was a student activist during the October 1976 massacre in Bangkok, talked about how the PDRC would end the game through a people’s movement, bringing about "the return to morality".

Q :COULD YOU EXPLAIN THE MAIN SECTIONS OF SOCIETY BEHIND THE PDRC'S PROTESTS?

The protesters cover three groups. Initially, Democrat Party supporters - with an average age of 50 - and also fans of the "Reveal the Truth" rallies held by the Democrats, decided to join the Samsen rally site before moving to the Rajdamnoen site. Then members of the Blue Sky Channel's audience followed, joining us as the second group. Now we have a "great mass of people" from several groups here [Rajdamnoen), including intelligentsia, students, officials, the middle class and businessmen.

I cannot tell you which is the largest group of PDRC protesters. I think people have simultaneously raised their awareness to fight against the "Thaksin [shinawatra] regime", after the government tried to pass the blanket amnesty bill.

Q : NOW THE PROTESTERS APPEAR TO BE ONE STEP AHEAD OF THE PDRC LEADERS. HOW CAN YOU HANDLE THEM, ESPECIALLY THE HARDCORE GROUP?

Yes, that is correct. We first thought that we would end the game when the House [of Representatives] was dissolved, but the protesters refused this and put pressure on caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to resign. Now they want political reform to take place before the next election. So if we were to contest the election, we would be abandoned immediately. Actually, we need to achieve a perfect balance.

Q : DO YOU STILL BELIEVE IN THE "TALE OF TWO DEMOCRACIES" THEORY, PROPOSED BY ACADEMIC-TURNED-POLITICIAN ANEK LAOTHAMATAS, SAYING THAT RURAL PEOPLE HAVE THE NUMBERS TO DECIDE WHICH GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE SET UP, BUT THAT URBAN PEOPLE REJECT AND OVERTURN THAT CHOICE?

I don't think we can use that theory to explain "the great mass of people". Nowadays, I would like to call the people's movement "the return to morality". Many people have come out on to the streets to oust the "Thaksin regime" because they cannot stand in the middle between good and evil. They had to choose one side, and they chose the best.

Q : YOU MEAN PDRC SECRETARY GENERAL SUTHEP THAUGSUBAN IS A SYMBOL OF MORALITY, RIGHT?

I don't think so. Suthep has just become a symbol of the fight for reform in Thailand. He is very serious and dedicated about this fight. He can call for a great number of people to join the rallies, even if they have no idea about the outcome of the reform cause. I think they just hope that Thailand would be better off if the Shinawatra family were not here.

Q : IS IT POSSIBLE TO BRING DOWN THE "TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY" AND MOVE TO A "DICTATORSHIP OF THE MINORITY"?

Absolutely not! Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra always claims that he has 15 million people who voted for his party. However, he has never decided for 15 million people, and has settled matters himself. The tyranny of the majority has shifted to the tyranny of one person. Why do you think 5.8 million people in Bangkok showed up on the streets last Sunday [December 22, in an effort] to force out the Thaksin regime? I don't think Yingluck can walk as a free person now.

Q : DO YOU NEED THE MILITARY'S SUPPORT TO HELP THE PDRC REACH ITS ULTIMATE GOAL?

I honestly don't think the PDRC needs a coup. We just want to see that the military can oust this evil government. The military should show its stance by taking the people's side. This is no time to say it must remain neutral.

Thais are now the rebels, while soldiers are still proud to just survive.

Q : WHERE WILL YOU GO WHEN THE FIGHT IS OVER?

I probably won't end up in jail or become a fugitive. My sense tells me that the people will win.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-02

• Like 1

Still no explanation -and no question- about the goals and their definition.

Nothing about what will happen when the "great mass of people" actually "win"...whatever that may mean...

• Like 1

The problem is Thais have their own definition of morality and it's not the same as people outside Thailand.

This is why each country has it's own name, rules, morals, version of religion, military, boundaries, people and their management systems...

If Sooty's revolution can bring about some sort of sea change in the grubby world of Thai politics then maybe it will all have been worth while but for that to happen certain people need to leave the stage.

And that is unlikely to happen.

Regardless as to what one may think of the various views expressed by Witthaya, there is one undeniable truth that he offers. The people on the streets are united by one thing - they can't stand Thaksin's grip on this administration. That is what holds the protests together, and what will continue to hold them together. That will simply not go away. People are completely repulsed by the corruption. That's pretty clear, because - to be honest - it's pretty clear to everybody ! And their natural impulse is to take to the streets. It's really that simple. So it's not a question of arguing the movement into submission. That is how they feel. And that is how they will continue to feel. And it has got results. Things are very much different now than they were just a week ago. That's the power of public opinion mobilized.

And many people cannot stand the alternative to PTP/TS. That is why you have ELECTIONS, whereby the prevailing desires of the nation decide who will be PM.

• Like 1

If Sooty's revolution can bring about some sort of sea change in the grubby world of Thai politics then maybe it will all have been worth while but for that to happen certain people need to leave the stage.

If certain people leave the stage, you really think Suthep of all people would see an amending of corruption laws/election laws for the benefit of the people??

He was second in command only a couple of years ago and what did he do about it then?

This whole thing for people like Suthep has zero to do with corruption/election fraud.

• Like 1

That's not an interview... why no counter interrogation? like "come on 5.8m? we know it was closer to 200,000/300,000 why LIE Mr. Morality"?

It was plainly a lot more than that though 5.8 mil does seem a somewhat high number to me too. ....

well that was the estimates - anyway it was NOT 1 in 10 Thais!!! LOL but Thais being Thai they have to "Thai"

I wonder how many of the return to morality crowd aren't adverse to a little under the table payments themselves or giving a "gift' to ease the way when dealing with the housing planning dept etc

If certain people leave the stage, you really think Suthep of all people would see an amending of corruption laws/election laws for the benefit of the people??

He was second in command only a couple of years ago and what did he do about it then?

This whole thing for people like Suthep has zero to do with corruption/election fraud.

And what did your superhero do about it when he was in power under many guises?

He made it worse.

And what did your superhero do about it when he was in power under many guises?

He made it worse.

Absolutely nothing, it has been that way in Thailand forever- seems strange that its now that something has to be done, and demanded by a lifetime politician and crook.

I would love for it all to be changed, but until their is desire from everyone all all sides of the fence and all stake holders nothing will happen.

And as per my original post, in my view for Suthep personally and those behind him this has little do do with corruption or vote buying, its just a convenient thing to use to gather the masses.

Regardless as to what one may think of the various views expressed by Witthaya, there is one undeniable truth that he offers. The people on the streets are united by one thing - they can't stand Thaksin's grip on this administration. That is what holds the protests together, and what will continue to hold them together. That will simply not go away. People are completely repulsed by the corruption. That's pretty clear, because - to be honest - it's pretty clear to everybody ! And their natural impulse is to take to the streets. It's really that simple. So it's not a question of arguing the movement into submission. That is how they feel. And that is how they will continue to feel. And it has got results. Things are very much different now than they were just a week ago. That's the power of public opinion mobilized.

And many people cannot stand the alternative to PTP/TS. That is why you have ELECTIONS, whereby the prevailing desires of the nation decide who will be PM.

If I'm not mistaken Thaksin got 13+ million votes and the dems got nearly 12 million, Thaksin can only claim 15 million because of the coalition parties that joined government. But the red power base must be demishing as each day goes by because they are still waiting for their rice money!

You must ask yourself if many people really can't stand the alternative to PTP. When the truth is infront of their own eyes. They have been used by one man for one mans aims. Maybe you forget even a faction of the reds were against the amnesty bill becuase in their eyes it let off Abhisit and Suthep, and they beleived the lies spread by the red leaders. Now they see the reality!

Edited by ggold
  • Like 1

If I'm not mistaken Thaksin got 13+ million votes and the dems got nearly 12 million, Thaksin can only claim 15 million because of the coalition parties that joined government. But the red power base must be demishing as each day goes by because they are still waiting for their rice money!

You must ask yourself if many people really can't stand the alternative to PTP. When the truth is infront of their own eyes. They have been used by one man for one mans aims. Maybe you forget even a faction of the reds were against the amnesty bill becuase in their eyes it let off Abhisit and Suthep, and they beleived the lies spread by the red leaders. Now they see the reality!

Accroding to wiki PTP got 15.7 million and the Dems 11.4. If what you say is true about the diminishing support surely they should contest the election? In my view the only way out of this ridiculous cycle is for the Dems to win legitimately at the polls.

Well IMO I think they need to hold off from elections, and make a constitution that works for the country not the politicians, or it's more of the same every few years. But yes once that is done then who ever wins the election wins, end of.

The Thaksins, Chalerms and Suhteps of Thai Politics should not be allowed to stand in the next elections, all corrupt politicians should be sidelined or better still in prison. There is no democracy when you have known criminals in Government.

Edited by ggold
  • Like 1

Better questions:

Given the support you claim to have, do you believe that if you (PDRC or aligned parties) did field candidates in the upcoming election you would win? If so, why not do so?

If not, why not? Why do you think it impossible to convince even a small fraction of Thaksin's 15 million to support you?

Edited by cocopops
  • Like 2

Accroding to wiki PTP got 15.7 million and the Dems 11.4. If what you say is true about the diminishing support surely they should contest the election? In my view the only way out of this ridiculous cycle is for the Dems to win legitimately at the polls.

Read the other thread on TV now: 'Democracy is not just about elections'. You might learn something.

How a flawed election will cure the polarisation of political opinion here is as clear as mud. Of course PTP & the red shirts want an election with the usual vote-buying and intimidation - and their acolytes just follow the herd.

Unless there is a serious effort (not Yingluck's meaningless empty words) to hold a reform panel with teeth, either before or in parallel with the election, it will solve nothing and the country will stagnate (even more than in 2013) until the rule of law takes hold.

The Democrats have made their decision so it's pointless to suggest they partake in the usual way. This whole mess - created by the PTP's undemocratic actions over the amnesty & rejecting the CC's decision - is far from over.

• Like 1