Expats in Thailand...How has Thailand changed you...better or worse

beachproperty

Ok...so there are thousands upon thousands of Expats who for one reason or another left their home country to come live in Thailand.

I came to live in Thailand because I met my wife here (hospital worker) and she didn't want to live in America (NO friends or family) ...so here I am in Thailand.

This post is not about why you came to Thailand ....its about ....What effect Thailand has had on you....has Thailand changed you, for better or worse?

For me it seems I have gained more patience in dealing with all the idiot small things Thai's and Some Expats do .....".Mai bin lai"

Hate to generalize but I am also curious as to what cultural traits you have, which you still continue to have, that other Expats or Thai's find annoying? For me I have an English neighbor who's haughty attitude (my sh-t doesn't stink...And we once ruled the world so we're better than everybody else) just blows me away. Haven't spoken to him since I moved in as he insulted me with his very first words of "I hear you are a man not to be trusted"....To which I respond "WHAT?"....he then went on to tell me all the gossip about me (jealously)...not sure this is a particularly English trait ....(judging people based on gossip....rather than making your own informed decision)..but it obviously is a trait that my English neighbor has!

Being American there seems to be the thought that we are loud and arrogant....have to admit ..the more I drink the louder I get...and as for attitude I just chalk it up to ...confidence.

So to summarize ....

What has Thailand changed about you? if anything

Did you bring with you cultural traits from your country that annoys other expats or Thai's?

Oh and by the way....Happy New Year to all!

Edited by beachproperty

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what you are talking The question was how did Thailand change and not about the behavior of your neighbors I guess. That would be a different question.

If I have been unclear ...my apologies....I understand that English is not everybody's first language.

The question IS NOT how did Thailand change?

BUT ....Has living in Thailand...changed YOU in anyway....made you a better person? or worse?

Basicly it is has Thailand had any affect on your view of life and how have you responded to that stimulus?

I'm going to take a wild guess.....most TV members are British ....and the British are not big on introspection or self-criticism

Am not a citizin of the "ol empire" but ur above statement says enough about ur simple view of humanity and history....i truly hope ur 1 of the few americans to have this point of view. Maybe instead of putting ur neighbour down, take a trip to europe.....u might learn something.

Been many times to Europe! In fact when I was 15 I was sent to Europe to study.....Most Americans until now did not even have a passport...so many have limited travels....NOT me...

Funny thing is ...I don't really care where your from...we all human beings and should be treated as such...with respect...that is my point ..one which was obviously lost on you

Youre an american blessing in disguise. Good !

• Like 2

The most disturbing trait I've found here, and the one which has changed me the most, is within the expat community itself - the inability to look at both sides of a story before making an informed decision or comment.

To me, Beachproperty's post is a reflection of this - in the UK it would be called racial prejudice - and is totally inaccurate, as introspection and self-change for the better is now normal in the UK, especially amongst younger Brits.

Living outside the city for the past seven years has increased my tolerance levels as well as my curiosity but it's also meant I've distanced myself from the expat community in general, as tolerance is tricky when faced with what many might see as ignorance!

• Like 2

I don't understand what you are talking The question was how did Thailand change and not about the behavior of your neighbors I guess. That would be a different question.

If I have been unclear ...my apologies....I understand that English is not everybody's first language.

The question IS NOT how did Thailand change?

BUT ....Has living in Thailand...changed YOU in anyway....made you a better person? or worse?

Basicly it is has Thailand had any affect on your view of life and how have you responded to that stimulus?

Sorry my poor English

As I came to Thailand to live here (16years ago) I wanted everything in my office working in the way I was used to it. Starting that I asked my secretary to draft a letter and I will only correct it, only to found out that the correction takes longer than to type by myself. Many small things wen on my nerves before I made my peace with it and sometimes even went into mai pen rai mode. I have become much more patient and forgiving.

In my private life I am blessed with my wife which has more adopted and understanding my thinking than I do hers. Many problems which I may be had and have resulting more out of misunderstanding the language than out of Thai or Farang mentality.

• Like 1

How have I changed because of Thailand?

My driving has gotten a lot more defensive...have to keep an eye everywhere!

I walk a lot more ....

Think I'm a much happy person as I am at peace with my self

As for your neighbor .....one bad apple in the barrel doesn't mean their ALL spoiled .....then again....maybe it is a British trait to be rude and anti-social!

• Like 1

Certainly since moving to Thailand 8 years ago my patience with the way Thai's drive their cars and motor bikes has helped me appreciate the country. I don't believe how infrequently you hear a horn honk, or how Thai car drivers even with the right of way let 12 cars and motorbikes turn in front of them, or how we tolerate wrong way drivers on 2way or 1 way roads. I laughingly say if I Thai came to America and tried driving this way if he lived through the day he would find himself in jail before the end of the day.

I don't blame the drivers, TIT and it has been done this way since day one.

• Like 1

I tend not to wear waterproof clothing as much as I used to do................wink.png

I have found that I will give pause before answering questions, regardless of how simple (or complicated) they may appear, really to make sure my head is wrapped around them in the correct way.

I have found that I have mellowed out in such a way that I wouldn't have thought possible in the real world/previous life. This seems to be in contradiction to many others...................whistling.gif

But most of all perhaps, I have enjoyed the adapting to a new way of life. Oh, and just to make it clear that I am not looking through the rose-tinted glasses, it has taken me 16 years of living here to get to the stage I am at now, and still changing every day.

If everything went smooth in life, this would be a really boring existence........................thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

It really is an arrogant post.

Just a rant against your neighbor

......Yes I am a non English citizen

Please indicate the part wherein I displayed "arrogance"

ar·ro·gant (abreve.gifrprime.gifschwa.gif-gschwa.gifnt)

adj.
1. Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
2. Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others

Wow!!!!....some bitter British people out there with personal attacks on me .....Why? because my British neighbor was rude to me and you are ALSO British....

Obviously English is not your first language or you have not been educated properly! Read my Post!

First off its a two part question.....

1....How has Thailand affected you ?

2.....How have people responded to YOUR personal cultural traits....(I even gave examples of how Americans are sometimes viewed and responded to the same)

As for my neighbor maybe you missed The part where I said ".not sure this is a particularly English trait ....(judging people based on gossip....rather than making your own informed decision)..but it obviously is a trait that my English neighbor has!" So you see ....I did not generalize about ALL British people...was just posing the question.

As for the "deal" ...the Swiss guy had property for sale (he underpriced it) I paid his price and sold it again (properly marketed it) and made a substantial amount of money within 6 months....seems it pissed him off ...oh well!

Think some of you Brits need a thicker skin and more open mind ...or is it just a TV thing?

you should start a poll

Wow!!!!....some bitter British people out there with personal attacks on me .....Why? because my British neighbor was rude to me and you are ALSO British....

Obviously English is not your first language or you have not been educated properly! Read my Post!

2.....How have people responded to YOUR personal cultural traits....(I even gave examples of how Americans are sometimes viewed and responded to the same)

As for my neighbor maybe you missed The part where I said ".not sure this is a particularly English trait ....(judging people based on gossip....rather than making your own informed decision)..but it obviously is a trait that my English neighbor has!" So you see ....I did not generalize about ALL British people...was just posing the question.

As for the "deal" ...the Swiss guy had property for sale (he underpriced it) I paid his price and sold it again (properly marketed it) and made a substantial amount of money within 6 months....seems it pissed him off ...oh well!

Think some of you Brits need a thicker skin and more open mind ...or is it just a TV thing?

you should start a poll

Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor....Good one Kevy!

you should start a poll

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Why are you not to be trusted OP?

I am a Brit just so you know....

You'd have to ask my neighbor and the Swiss guy (who bad mouthed me to him)..

.As indicated earlier the Swiss guy had a piece of property for sale, I paid his price. Cleaned the property up and marketed it properly and resold it within 6 months at a substantial profit. Swiss guy pissed off ...says I cheated him. Don't know how? I paid him his asking price ...I just saw something in the property he didn't see and yes I jumped on it ....isn't that what business is about?

So as to your question....I'm one of those people who you can completely trust...but there are few people I let in that circle as in the same vein I don't trust anybody but my own instincts....and when I make a mistake, I take it on the chin and move on.

I did not ask my neighbor to trust me ....I just went over to say "Hi" and introduce myself when he comes out with "I hear your a man not to be trusted" in that haughty British tone.......To me that's an insult....to you Brits ...maybe thats how you say Hi to everyone.....let me know so I can expect the same in the future and not take it as it insult but just a British thing......oh well....Each to their own.

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

I would say as far as I'm concerned, a bit of both. As far as relationships go, I'm a far nicer person as Mrs Possum is a lot better to me and a far better person than any girl I have been with in the UK. On the other hand, I cannot complain about any injustices here as I would be wasting my time, ie, the dreadful state of the roads in Phichit province,which have not been fixed in the eight years I have been here in Thailand, where in the UK, I can batter doors, and give people the hairdryer treatment, and have done, at any of the many injustices I have had there.