Expats in Thailand...How has Thailand changed you...better or worse

beachproperty

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to take a wild guess.....most TV members are British ....and the British are not big on introspection or self-criticism

Am not a citizin of the "ol empire" but ur above statement says enough about ur simple view of humanity and history....i truly hope ur 1 of the few americans to have this point of view. Maybe instead of putting ur neighbour down, take a trip to europe.....u might learn something.

Been many times to Europe! In fact when I was 15 I was sent to Europe to study.....Most Americans until now did not even have a passport...so many have limited travels....NOT me...

Funny thing is ...I don't really care where your from...we all human beings and should be treated as such...with respect...that is my point ..one which was obviously lost on you

So as a rule you start conversations with gross insulting generalisations.

Good start......

I'm going to take a wild guess.....most TV members are British ....and the British are not big on introspection or self-criticism

Am not a citizin of the "ol empire" but ur above statement says enough about ur simple view of humanity and history....i truly hope ur 1 of the few americans to have this point of view. Maybe instead of putting ur neighbour down, take a trip to europe.....u might learn something.

Been many times to Europe! In fact when I was 15 I was sent to Europe to study.....Most Americans until now did not even have a passport...so many have limited travels....NOT me...

Funny thing is ...I don't really care where your from...we all human beings and should be treated as such...with respect...that is my point ..one which was obviously lost on you

So as a rule you start conversations with gross insulting generalisations.

Good start......

I just ASKED the question (read the post)........so...another question....Are Brits always so "sensitive" implying something that doesn't exist just to argue?

Edited by beachproperty

Reread the whole post....AND

Blimey, you bloodly whingers must be drinking too much plonk. Have you all gone barmy. Makes you look like such a <deleted>. Your whole defensive attitude is such tosh. Don't be so blinkered and cheeky about this post.

Cheers Mate.....Toodle pip and Tickety boo!

• Like 1

Reread the whole post....AND

Blimey, you bloodly whingers must be drinking too much plonk. Have you all gone barmy. Makes you look like such a wanke_r. Your whole defensive attitude is such tosh. Don't be so blinkered and cheeky about this post.

Cheers Mate.....Toodle pip and Tickety boo!

I try to be a bit more specific in my abuse, lest others feel offended.

I also try to refrain from bad language, as I feel it makes me look ignorant, and poorly educated, with an inadequate vocabulary.

I am getting more and more jealous of your neighbour with each of your posts, particularly if he does not read Thaivisa.

SC

• Like 1

I will display my ignorance firstly in stating I am new to forums, I had always believed that whatever you write you would show the have the same level of intelligence, decorum and good manners as you would display in any direct face to face conversation, but reading your opening comments I find it is not so, my point being would you enter a room knowing it was full of Iraqis and open your conversation with a dig/slur at them? it seems incredulous, unless the intent was to cause offence, surely a more rational approach would be to exclude the slur at the beginning of your remarks and generalize that way if you were trying to open a conversation you may have got the required response but again that’s shows my ignorance!!!!!!

• Like 1

Why are you not to be trusted OP?

I am a Brit just so you know....

You'd have to ask my neighbor and the Swiss guy (who bad mouthed me to him)..

.As indicated earlier the Swiss guy had a piece of property for sale, I paid his price. Cleaned the property up and marketed it properly and resold it within 6 months at a substantial profit. Swiss guy pissed off ...says I cheated him. Don't know how? I paid him his asking price ...I just saw something in the property he didn't see and yes I jumped on it ....isn't that what business is about?

So as to your question....I'm one of those people who you can completely trust...but there are few people I let in that circle as in the same vein I don't trust anybody but my own instincts....and when I make a mistake, I take it on the chin and move on.

I did not ask my neighbor to trust me ....I just went over to say "Hi" and introduce myself when he comes out with "I hear your a man not to be trusted" in that haughty British tone.......To me that's an insult....to you Brits ...maybe thats how you say Hi to everyone.....let me know so I can expect the same in the future and not take it as it insult but just a British thing......oh well....Each to their own.

The Swiss idiot sounds like a jealous prick, that most definitely made up some BS story to the Brit guy about how you scammed him.

• Like 1

I'd like to add that a number nonsense posts in violation of forum rules have been removed:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

If the bashing continues, this topic will soon be closed.

Stay on topic.

Thailand has made me appreciate lateral thinking far more than I did in the west ... it is sorely needed more in Thailand and SE Asia. It has also made me appreciate and miss honest appraisal more. Maybe we could practise it more here ourselves?
A Thai girl also allows me to enjoy what I love most in women and not have to spend mega hours and days talking to them about boring stuff for a repeat round. I can be a man and she can be a woman... somewhat shallow, I know contrary to thinking more deeply, but it allows me to be more efficient and work on other things I am more interested in discussing, doing and creating.

Regarding British & American bashing as a British Aussie I believe honestly that the OP seems to be a fairly balanced and reasonable Yank. You guys realise that asking a question is NOT a statement? So asking is "this is a common British trait" is NOT a statement!

I regularly would ask my university educated Hi So TGF are you kwai? .. It's not a statement but a genuine question when she wasn't thinking. It's not to abuse but to be thought provoking! Despite her education, upbringing and money she is a lazy thinker and the appropriate response is NO! and then to think more deeply and come up with a decent answer herself! It is a shocking strategy but works 99% of the time.

I lot of you guys should think more deeply than you have done.

Turning supposed Brit bashing into various rounds of Yank bashing is ironic

Clearly the Brit opening with a diatribe of negative unending gossip was not only impolite and unfair it was a stupid way to introduce yourself to a new neighbour! The OP reasonably exercised his right to not get into an argument or persuade a tosser that he is a good guy! Why bother?

• Like 2

Thailand has made me appreciate lateral thinking far more than I did in the west ... it is sorely needed more in Thailand and SE Asia. It has also made me appreciate and miss honest appraisal more. Maybe we could practise it more here ourselves?

A Thai girl also allows me to enjoy what I love most in women and not have to spend mega hours and days talking to them about boring stuff for a repeat round. I can be a man and she can be a woman... somewhat shallow, I know contrary to thinking more deeply, but it allows me to be more efficient and work on other things I am more interested in discussing, doing and creating.

Regarding British & American bashing as a British Aussie I believe honestly that the OP seems to be a fairly balanced and reasonable Yank. You guys realise that asking a question is NOT a statement? So asking is "this is a common British trait" is NOT a statement!

I regularly would ask my university educated Hi So TGF are you kwai? .. It's not a statement but a genuine question when she wasn't thinking. It's not to abuse but to be thought provoking! Despite her education, upbringing and money she is a lazy thinker and the appropriate response is NO! and then to think more deeply and come up with a decent answer herself! It is a shocking strategy but works 99% of the time.

I lot of you guys should think more deeply than you have done.

Turning supposed Brit bashing into various rounds of Yank bashing is ironic

Clearly the Brit opening with a diatribe of negative unending gossip was not only impolite and unfair it was a stupid way to introduce yourself to a new neighbour! The OP reasonably exercised his right to not get into an argument or persuade a tosser that he is a good guy! Why bother?

My many thanks....you have stated clearly in one post what I tired to do in a number of posts (yes ...I know I opened myself to those negative and bitter TV posters who will point out that I was unclear, uneducated, etc)

As an American, I am somewhat upfront, brash and in your face....or at least that is how I was in American....

Now that I am in Thailand (10 years) I have changed (really!)......I am much more laid back, reserved and NOT in your face ...as witnessed by my actions with my neighbor ....I walked away, rather than take the advice of some TV posters who advised otherwise....life is short enough as it is but as I have aged I realize its even shorter for some of us than we may think.....so I take it a day at a time....and live each of those days to the fullest ...and since I have a WONDERFUL wife and family, life for me is great ....Thailand gave me that and a different outlook on life ...one which I think is better.

That being said TV has had an effect on me too....for some reason when I start a thread, like this one, and the bitter, negative posters arrive to attack me personally ....well....I revert to the "old" me, upfront and in your face! and I take the "bait"...will work on that smile.png

That all being said ...as always...wish the best for Everyone (even the bitter twisted ones)..wai.gif

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

not making myself popular with the following statement :

yes british & french ruled the world... they had many colonies, aka slaves ... in all parts of the world ...

why did they start a war with germany, twice, when the german, with no colonies all over, wanted to expand their lebensraum, or place to live ?

they did not go steal colonies from Britain or France, so what gave them the right ?

just 50 satangs to think about ...

after WW2, France & Britain had to give up their colonies, as they had to promise the USA, their good friend that supplied them full or war toys, that the market should be open to their generous lendours of weapons of mass destruction.

and also some colonies like India asked for independance in return of sending troops and men to go die for a cause to help the empire that colonized them