Smoking everywhere

Fabulousheart

Do you really believe what the US government tells you?

I am not sure if that would work, but I do think cigarettes should be illegal, especially given that they are far more costly to society (in terms of dollars and deaths) than all of the "illegal" drugs combined.

No,

making something illegal only benefits organized crime, and that means rise of violent crime.

Do you really believe tobacco and all of other illegal drugs can be compared? Do you believe heroin is less harmful than tobacco?

The cost of health care for tobacco related illnesses can be higher than treatment , say, crack cocaine users. That is because number of tobacco user is much higher than crack users. Crack users are not treated in med facilities, as they should be, they are incarcerated.

When has banning something ever been effective?

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you really believe what the US government tells you?

No, not everything, but the data come from a vast amount of research done by scientists worldwide.

No, if took the time to peruse the bibliography you would see the data are most all from the CDC or other US government agencies.

Tinfoil hat time?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

So if one in five people (20%) die from smoking, and 20% of people smoke, doesn’t that mean that everyone that smokes dies from it?

If being suspicious of a report that is full of conflicting information generated by a government agency managed by political appointees that sites itself as a reference make me a foil hat candidate, so be it.

So if one in five people (20%) die from smoking, and 20% of people smoke, doesn’t that mean that everyone that smokes dies from it?

If being suspicious of a report that is full of conflicting information generated by a government agency managed by political appointees that sites itself as a reference make me a foil hat candidate, so be it.

There are about 43,800,000 smokers in the U.S about 22% of population

440,000 deaths per year from smoking (directly ) So that would be 440,000/43,800,000 = about 1% of those smokers die/year. Over a 20 year period that would be 8,800,000 deaths.About 20%

Edited by morrobay

I'm all for letting people smoke. If they want to kill themselves and waste money it's there problem. What about letting me breath fresh clean air? Pattaya is loaded with unhealthy people killing themselves it's amazing really. It's like they want everyone else to get sick and die too!

The problem is that their problem is our problem.

I agree, nonsmokers have to suffer because of the weakness of smokers.

I small price to pay for all the sin in pattaya.

440,000 deaths per year from smoking (directly ) So that would be 440,000/43,800,000 = about 1% of those smokers die/year. Over a 20 year period that would be 8,800,000 deaths.About 20%

Creative accounting?

The report states that “Cigarette smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually…”

That’s 20% of the people that die.

The report is claiming one in five people smoke, and one in five people die from it.

Creative accounting?

The report states that “Cigarette smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually…”

The report is claiming one in five people smoke, and one in five people die from it.

What is creative and what are you questioning ? And what is the difference between your reply here and my statement from these facts :

There are 43,800,000 smokers in the U.S. Thats 22% of Pop. There are 2200000. deaths annually , and 440,000 of those deaths are from smoking. So thats 44/220 = 20%

Same as you said. In a 20 year period 8,800000 die from smokiing of a constant 43,800,000 smokers So thats 88/438= 20% , 1 in 5.

Again what exactly is your question here ?

Well it's great to find out that I will be constantly exposed to secondhand smoke if I go to Pattaya - indoors and out. I was very interested in going for a couple of months and spending some money there. Now I no longer am. Is it pretty much the same deal in Bangkok?

Well it's great to find out that I will be constantly exposed to secondhand smoke if I go to Pattaya - indoors and out. I was very interested in going for a couple of months and spending some money there. Now I no longer am. Is it pretty much the same deal in Bangkok?

Yes, you will see people smoking cigarettes outside in Bangkok and in Pattaya. You probably won't notice or smell the cigarette smoke in Bangkok nearly as much as air pollution from vehicles, but best to stay away.

People smoke cigarettes outside everywhere in Sout East Asia, so you're out luck. Probably have to spend your money elsewhere.

Except Singapore, no smokers in sight, very affordable, and very laid back.

Steer clear of Pattaya if you're allergic to or detest smoking. There are but a handful of non smoking bars in the town and as a stranger to the town you'll be hard pressed finding them. Plenty of bars observe the ban in Bangkok so you'll be happier there and they'll be more than happy to take any money you intend to spend.

Out of interest did you ever frequent bars or public houses before the smoking ban and if so how did you cope?

Here is a very simple solution.

Have bars, restaurants, etc., post a sign on the door which carries one of two messages: Smoking Allowed, or Smoking Prohibited. Add language to the Smoking Prohibited sign which indicates that it will be an instant 2,000 baht fine for smoking in that establishment, and a 10,000 baht fine for the establishment.

With those amounts involved, I suspect that the police will enforce it vigorously.

People can then choose which establishments to patronize, and which to avoid.

• Like 1

Yes, you will see people smoking cigarettes outside in Bangkok and in Pattaya. You probably won't notice or smell the cigarette smoke in Bangkok nearly as much as air pollution from vehicles, but best to stay away.

People smoke cigarettes outside everywhere in Sout East Asia, so you're out luck. Probably have to spend your money elsewhere.

Except Singapore, no smokers in sight, very affordable, and very laid back.

Smokers everywhere in Singapore. Not sure where you visited but every coffee shop in my old area had one and all puffing away (mostly on illegal cigs). saved a fortune on the Indonesian marlboros.

Smokers everywhere in Singapore. Not sure where you visited but every coffee shop in my old area had one and all puffing away (mostly on illegal cigs). saved a fortune on the Indonesian marlboros.

2 years ago. Didn't see any.

But that is wonderful news! I am all for people having more rights, not less.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

+ 1 / Horrible habit. And unfortunately many of the smokers seem to have an attitude of entitlement and keep blowing the sh...t in our direction. Enough reason to get up and leave for me, or if to the extreme, grab the bloody cigarette and step on it. I really get pissed when caught on the wrong day.

30 minutes in a bar, we smell like smoked ham, actually not...hams smells tasty. Disgusting..... Try Walking Street Pub....Smells like Heaven when you step inside! "NO SMOKING!" and doing well.

Terrible addiction which should be controlled by law / enforcement. Seen 2 good friends die of lung cancer....HORRIBLE......Smoking til the last minute....But very much regretting they ever started...

HAPPY NEW YEAR* MS>

By all means vote with your wallet and go where there is no smoking allowed. It annoys me when I have to blow smoke into somebodies face just to get rid of them.

Creative accounting?

Evidently you are right : It is creative accounting. I posted this with my math people on a math forum and my logic here is incorrect.

Yes and the pollution is much worst. Some of the Asians in bkk never stop smoking! Yuke!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Creative accounting?

Evidently you are right : It is creative accounting. I posted this with my math people on a math forum and my logic here is incorrect.

My mistake was not adding back on new smokers to replaced the 440,000 each year. Then that would be 52,600,000 smokers in 20 years/ 8,800,000 = 1 death for every 6 smokers.

But if the smokers who quite in this period ( not counted ) but who die from their smoking then it may go up to the one in 5 original statistic

My mistake was not adding back on new smokers to replaced the 440,000 each year. Then that would be 52,600,000 smokers in 20 years/ 8,800,000 = 1 death for every 6 smokers.

To be clear, I doubt you have enough data to come to a reasonable conclusion.

I would guess the deaths from smoking includes everyone that has ever smoked, not just people that are still smoking on their death bed. A large percentage of people quit smoking in the last 10-20 years of their life.

To be clear, if 20% of people in the US die from smoking, and 20% of the people in the US smokes, then most everyone that smokes must die from it. I don’t buy it, apparently you do. So be it.

I know smoking is bad for people, and I have known that for at least 45 years. My mom and dad knew it 40 years ago as well. My dad finally quit smoking when he was 80, and died a few years later. My mother never did quit and made it to 89. I listened to them coughing and short of breath, and I don’t doubt for a moment both of them would have lived significantly longer had they not smoked.

I think smoking is terrible and should be made illegal. But it is legal, and until it is made illegal, I think people should be allowed to smoke outside. As well as in bars, restaurants and other private businesses that want to allow it. I do not frequent bars and restaurants that allow smoking.

I trust a report from the CDC no more that I would trust a report from Phillip Morris.

I would guess the deaths from smoking includes everyone that has ever smoked, not just people that are still smoking on their death bed. A large percentage of people quit smoking in the last 10-20 years of their life.

To be clear, if 20% of people in the US die from smoking, and 20% of the people in the US smokes, then most everyone that smokes must die from it. I don’t buy it, apparently you do. So be it.

I know smoking is bad for people, and I have known that for at least 45 years. My mom and dad knew it 40 years ago as well. My dad finally quit smoking when he was 80, and died a few years later. My mother never did quit and made it to 89. I listened to them coughing and short of breath, and I don’t doubt for a moment both of them would have lived significantly longer had they not smoked.

I think smoking is terrible and should be made illegal. But it is legal, and until it is made illegal, I think people should be allowed to smoke outside. As well as in bars, restaurants and other private businesses that want to allow it. I do not frequent bars and restaurants that allow smoking.

I trust a report from the CDC no more that I would trust a report from Phillip Morris.

This is what I call creative quoting ^ To be clear:No I dont buy the 20- 20, but in post #92 it could be interpreted you do. Consider this example why it is not so. Thats 20% of all deaths

Suppose the total population is 200 and there are 50 deaths / year(all causes) and 20% of those 50 are from smoking = 10 /year. 20% of pop smoke. Thats 40 people. And 20% of those smokers die from smoking. That 8 people. The other 2 come from smokers who quit

This is what I call creative quoting ^ To be clear:No I dont buy the 20- 20, but in post #92 it could be interpreted you do. Consider this example why it is not so. Thats 20% of all deaths

Suppose the total population is 200 and there are 50 deaths / year(all causes) and 20% of those 50 are from smoking = 10 /year. 20% of pop smoke. Thats 40 people. And 20% of those smokers die from smoking. That 8 people. The other 2 come from smokers who quit

There is nothing to interpret. They are claiming that 20% of the people that die, die from smoking relegated illnesses. It does not differentiate between smokers and ex-smokers at the time of death.

You can work the numbers back by making up a 20 year scenario or breaking out smokers and ex-smokers in a specific example to try and make it come out however you like, but you do not have the “data” used in the study. So at the end of the day, anything you come up with is going to be just something you made up. I would very much like the see how they came up with their numbers, aside from a generic (not your) Sesame Street comment about scientists and researchers from around the the world.

Incidentally, you could have made a better argument using smokers and victims of second hand smoke than you make with smokers and ex-smokers.

I had a business in the UK many moons ago. It was on a main road in London. I had given up smoking 20 years previously, BUT was on a puffer for my lungs sad.png . I moved to LOS and within no time the puffer was thrown out the window and I started smoking again. Noooooooooo problems.

Went to Chang Mai for a week and the puffer stuff reared it's ugly head sad.png . Got back home and noooooooooooo probs. Still having a fag.

Food for thought eh...For me the stuff I cannot ''see'' was the problem. Sooo, you diesel drivers, to me it seems you are more of a problem to me and perhaps yours than a fag. whistling.gif

In the Health section of a local paper, 14 Jan: More Smokers Now Than in 1980. A new study on smoking led by the Institute For Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, contains this quote by co-author Alan Lopez of the University of Melbourne. " Since we know that half of all smokers will eventually be killed by tobacco, greater numbers of smokers will mean a massive increase of premature deaths in our lifetime"

So you smokers, are you feeling lucky today ?