Thai doctors selling medicine

catweazle08

it is assumed patients will be dissatisfied -- even outright offended -- if not given several different medications on each visit.

So perhaps its not so much money grubbing Thai doctors as a doctor/patient relationship thing.

My personal observations is Thai people love laying on the dire illness thing.. I suspect the more tablets the iller they can claim to be.

I blame it all on the soaps.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheryl might know more, but my understanding is that foreign doctors cannot practise here. - unless they pass thai medical exams which are all in Thai. Maybe there are some who work for foreign companies and only treat foreigners, but I'm not sure. There are a few who act as consultants to hospitals where there are a lot of foreigners living, as in Dr. Iain Corness in Pattaya who advises Bangkok -Pattaya hospital.

Sheryl might know more, but my understanding is that foreign doctors cannot practise here. - unless they pass thai medical exams which are all in Thai. Maybe there are some who work for foreign companies and only treat foreigners, but I'm not sure. There are a few who act as consultants to hospitals where there are a lot of foreigners living, as in Dr. Iain Corness in Pattaya who advises Bangkok -Pattaya hospital.

since years there is a foreign doctor (Dr. Olivier Mueller, Swiss citizen, fluent in 5 languages) practising in Pattaya who met all requirements and treats foreigners as well as Thais.

Took my wife to see a doc here in Australia, she was not happy he only gave her a course of antibiotics and some cough medicine and sent her on her way. Not enough medicine she says. Well what else can he give you? More medicine and injection like Thailand. Not happy again when my daughter got that same cold and gave her nothing cause she's under 2 except some kids panadol.

So now Australian doctors don't care in her eyes.

Your lucky mate. Getting antibiotics out of a UK GP, or any prescription medicine is like getting blood out of a stone. I haven't been back for several years but remember going twice with really bad flu. First time was - "your over the worst, keep resting and taking fluids", the second was the same but added " we don't like prescribing antibiotics because there bad for tummies". Broke, inefficient, highly variable quality and reliant on immigrants - NHS.

In India, Middle East and Thailand, medicines and drugs are used much more effectively than in the UK, IME.

Antibiotics have no effect on a flu or cold, no matter how bad your flu.

• Like 1

But it is generally used as a prophylaxis for bacterial superimposed infection.

Care to elaborate "generally" one should cautious giving blanket statements in a non health forum. Edited by ToddWeston

obviously you guys have never lived in America ! everyone i know here is on some sort of pill and has some condition < when the incentive is profit the Dr has no reason to make you better and will eventually find something wrong with you . Count yourself lucky you are in thailand where an unfortunate illness will cost a few thousand baht and not bankrupt you .

Care to elaborate "generally" one should cautious giving blanket statements in a non health forum.

care to prove me wrong?

Care to elaborate "generally" one should cautious giving blanket statements in a non health forum.

care to prove me wrong?

No as I don't give medical information out on websites unless I have a relationship with the patient.

Peace out

without antibiotics the flu lasts seven days as opposed to only one week when antibiotics are administered. tongue.png

• Like 2

Took my wife to see a doc here in Australia, she was not happy he only gave her a course of antibiotics and some cough medicine and sent her on her way. Not enough medicine she says. Well what else can he give you? More medicine and injection like Thailand. Not happy again when my daughter got that same cold and gave her nothing cause she's under 2 except some kids panadol.

So now Australian doctors don't care in her eyes.

Your lucky mate. Getting antibiotics out of a UK GP, or any prescription medicine is like getting blood out of a stone. I haven't been back for several years but remember going twice with really bad flu. First time was - "your over the worst, keep resting and taking fluids", the second was the same but added " we don't like prescribing antibiotics because there bad for tummies". Broke, inefficient, highly variable quality and reliant on immigrants - NHS.

In India, Middle East and Thailand, medicines and drugs are used much more effectively than in the UK, IME.

Good on the doctor. Antibiotics work against bacteria, not (flu) viruses.

Over prescription of anti-biotcs is a huge problem.