People's uprising about to reach 'critical mass': Thai opinion

webfact

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"After the people invoke their sovereign power as per Article 3 of the Constitution, they will resort to the extraordinary measures afforded by Article 7 to seek royal endorsement for the appointment of an interim prime minister and government."

Why not do it now. What are they waiting for. Bear in mind though that there is already "endorsement" on the February election. For "the people" to reelect the YLS Robin Hood government.

Edited by oldthaihand99

After more than two months of leading mass demonstrations, Suthep has his sights set on toppling Yingluck Shinawatra's caretaker government by the end of this month

let me think ????????????? that is just before the election. so he want to topple the new government after that.

Nobody knows the outcome, but the scene could turn ugly

Thaksin has access to large offshore wealth and (imo) also has money backers. If he starts handing out large payments to people in the North, to mobilise and march on the capital the scene will be far worse than in 2010, because this time PTP were elected then toppled, thus making their supporters far angrier. Obviously some of their support is based on bribes and broken promises, and many PTP supporters were starting to criticise PTP in recent months, but I feel they would still be offended that their cast votes have been discounted by one man in a jogging suit and a whistle. If the money incentive to march is there, we may see a mass exodus from the North and I fear that the events of 2010 will be a picnic by comparison.

Why would TS care if BKK is shut down? Or to send a red army to the city? Eventually Suthep's gang will tire of their pointless & useless marching & go back home to their jobs, if they ever had any. Why provoke the military to "coup" YL?

As the article said YL has the support of the USA. Also China.

Yes, why indeed lol.

• Like 1

Why would TS care if BKK is shut down? Or to send a red army to the city? Eventually Suthep's gang will tire of their pointless & useless marching & go back home to their jobs, if they ever had any. Why provoke the military to "coup" YL?

As the article said YL has the support of the USA. Also China.

Yes the US backs Yingluck. The US also backed Thaksin. Thaksin used to work for Carlyle Group <Asia> which is a US company with involvements/alliances in many mysterious and colourful things which I certainly would not know anything about or mention here, thats for sure.

I was referring to post-coup. As you can see in my post, where I talk about the cast votes being discounted by toppling of the elected party. In a post-coup Assembly run by Suthep's FB-friendlist, and backed-up-by-the-army-or-not, it would seem that the next move by this probably self-playing automated chessmachine is to pump-up the agrarian Northern crowd and give them lots of cashola to march South. My point is that I feel they will be far more angry this time round, as they enjoyed great electoral success with the votes they cast.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

Suthep accountants must be very busy, filling out payee list of protesters @ 300 baht per day, plus health and life insurance. I wonder how many come from the South and how many really come from Bangkok will be the hard core protesters and not just weekend warriors.

Edited by Nowhereman60

Suthep keeps nudging the army to step up to the plate. So far, with not much to show. He will keep pushing them, mostly in private, and they will intervene at some point, either poliitically or forcefully.

• Like 2

The idea of 1 person 1 vote as an electoral panacea to Thailand ills is far to simplistic - both sides have been shown that with sufficient financial backing that this ideal is easily manipulated and corrupted.

And that is part of the problem, democracy or rather our western concept of democracy, for whatever multitude of reasons is a corrupted, broken system. It doesn't work here or at least not yet. Thai politicians simply have found a way to cheat the system and eventually the system fails and breaks as people get bored with the cheating and politicians who have become bigger and more important than the democratic system they claim to support, when in fact they actually run and control our democracy.

I'm not condoning Suthep but it seems there are two choices; maintain the current broken and corrupted democratic system. Or dismantle it and rebuild it and start again. And I'm sure all of us have our own views on what the possible consequences of each will be.

Maybe in 20 years Thailand will have matured enough and we will look back on the past 10 years as a period of 'growing pains for Thailand's democracy.

Edit - spelling

So what do you propose to replace democracy with ?

• Like 2

Democracy at its finest. Well done The Nation!

Why should they relinquish power just because some failed, corrupt politician who can't win an election decides they should.

February 2nd sunshine. One person one vote...get involved!

Umm, because he has the support of the people. Did you see the pictures of the protests? It wasn't just him there standing on stage alone.

This isn't about Suthep. It's about getting the Shin clan out, more corrupt and failed politicians as you so well put it. They all need to go.

He has the the support of the minority of people.

• Like 2

Democracy at its finest. Well done The Nation!

Why should they relinquish power just because some failed, corrupt politician who can't win an election decides they should.

February 2nd sunshine. One person one vote...get involved!

We have now corrupt politicians who can't win an election so they bought it.......

Suthep accountants must be very busy, filling out payee list of protesters @ 300 baht per day, plus health and life insurance. I wonder how many come from the South and how many really come from Bangkok will be the hard core protesters and not just weekend warriors.

The yellow thugs are trucked from the south.

The gentle old ladies with beautiful hairstyles that The Nation likes to show in its biased articles are most probably from bangkok. These are not the warriors though... :D

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2