Bangkok 'shutdown': Protest leader Suthep details January 13 strategy

webfact

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Civil disobedience is a timely traditional practice of non-violent protest. For those who don't believe in protest of any kind whatsoever, then perhaps you have the benefit of living in a part of the globe not yet discovered. But for those that do leave room for protest, civil disobedience is as peaceful as you can get. If you look at the history of protests in American history and throughout the world, many have been quite violent, though not all. The ones that are brought about by peaceful means have a special place in history, and for many, this is what will happen this time. The army has firmly taken itself out of the protest, and the police will not be able to control a street walk as massive as this without creating international consequences.

You mean like when the PDRC crashed a truck into the Thai-Japanese stadium? Or beating on bystanders and threatening members of the press? It was you who in an earlier post expressed disapproval of disrupting the electoral process. These people are hardly peaceful. Hypocrite much? And as for the international community - it has show itself overwhelmingly to disapprove of the PDRC and its attempts to save democracy by destroying it. Of course, earlier you wrote that the international community doesn't understand the special situation here. Hypocrite much more? Truly your posts are obviously not inspired by principles since your arguments contradict themselves, but by animus towards the big majority of Thais who oppose the PDRC and the PDC.

It is just an isolated incident.

The protest are peaceful, and without weapons.

So Bangkok gets shutdown.

Businesses have to close.

People cant get to work or will be intimidated trying to.

Businesses will go bankrupt

People will lose there jobs

Ordinary folk will accumulate more debt

Cant pay the rent cant pay for food etc.

Loans wont get repaid

Homes get foreclosed

Cars repossessed

Crime will go up as the police will be preoccupied

The list goes on

Are the people really thinking about the consequences of this?

NO as they wont think past today.

Sad that they can be manipulated so easily

Small price to pay in order to rid Thailand of the Thaksin mafia!

I say Good luck to them all!

Do you know that the yellow shirts leaders are telling their followers to boycott Farang businesses like Lotus and Mackro because it is putting Thai money into the hands of corrupt westerners that support free elections and democracy?

Be very carefull what you wish for my friend.

Provide some evidence or it never happened.

The fear mongering about yellow shirts hating farangs is so ridiculous.

Grab a Thai flag and head down to a protest site and report the reaction.

I did and people were so pleased to see a farang in their midst. No different than when the red shirts were occupying Rajprasong.

Loans wont get repaid

Homes get foreclosed

Cars repossessed

The list goes on

People are definitely thinking of the consequences and thinking past today -- that's EXACTLY why so many people think that this is necessary. Do you have children who are Thai citizens? I do, four to be exact. If you do, do you want them to grow up and live in a country run by a kleptocracy? I don't.

I have a Thai daughter and don't wish her to grow up in a country where one man leading a minority can successfully overturn democracy. I would hope that my daughter would respect the decision of the majority, even though she may disagree with it, as that is at the very heart of any true democracy. As is the army's subservience to a government elected by that majority. As is the enforcement of the law, regardless of the status or wealth of those who break it. It's clear, then, that Thailand is no place to teach a child these principles. 65-75% of Thais support corruption that benefits them personally. Politicians of all hues are irretrievably corrupt, but amongst the worst are Thaksin & Suthep, which you would know if you read your recent Thai political history. Thailand is surely one of the few countries where the politically corrupt can lead a mass campaign against corruption.

It takes a land of sheep to accomplish all this.

Finally a poster with common sense!!clap2.gif

Hope your daughter will be able to experience true democracy in the future, despite the madmen from both sides roaming the streets at the moment!! All with the same goal in sight, to get "their" place at the feeding-trough!!

The list goes on

If police are pre-occupied, crime will go down.

Exactly.

So we have posters raving away about a madman who is going to rule the country, target Farangs & 'Farang' businesses, bring the country down and ban elections. The only thing missing is the end of the world.

It appears that none of the worst rhetorical posters have even stopped to see what Suthep has actually said but make up all sorts of bogeyman-like things that they 'know' that Suthep wants.

Here are a few items that he has actually said:

Get rid of the Shin and associated clans - unachievable without a total purge.

Reform Council followed by elections - I would insert a referendum in the middle there.

Elections of Provincial governors - a very good suggestion.

Election of the police chief - another good suggestion.

Reform of the police - absolutely, including the DSI.

All except the first are achievable if the will is there, but it's not on the PTP side.

Some seem to think that another farcial election will solve everything. Moronic.

Yes, Suthep is not clean, but he has made a case for reform which, however it is done, is desperately needed. No real suggestions have come from PTP or their red friends.

We have had arguments that Suthep won't change dirty politics for the future. Maybe not but he has put the issue squarely in the public domain. It seems that the 'no change' brigade are happy to see Thailand continue on a downward path - being left behind by its neighbours. Some future.

• Like 1

Loans wont get repaid

Homes get foreclosed

Cars repossessed

The list goes on

Do you know that the yellow shirts leaders are telling their followers to boycott Farang businesses like Lotus and Mackro because it is putting Thai money into the hands of corrupt westerners that support free elections and democracy?

Makro is now a Thai company. Pray tell where you get your information.

Edited by GarryP

Reiterating that the protesters will cut electrity and tap water of government offices, Suthep said however the measures will not be done on people’s houses.

We’ll cut off electricity and water supplies at government properties and residences of Cabinet members including the prime minister,” he said.

Make your mind up..

Loans wont get repaid

Homes get foreclosed

Cars repossessed

The list goes on

People are definitely thinking of the consequences and thinking past today -- that's EXACTLY why so many people think that this is necessary. Do you have children who are Thai citizens? I do, four to be exact. If you do, do you want them to grow up and live in a country run by a kleptocracy? I don't.

post-133770-0-78377800-1388742927_thumb.

The list goes on

Exactly.

So we have posters raving away about a madman who is going to rule the country, target Farangs & 'Farang' businesses, bring the country down and ban elections. The only thing missing is the end of the world.

It appears that none of the worst rhetorical posters have even stopped to see what Suthep has actually said but make up all sorts of bogeyman-like things that they 'know' that Suthep wants.

Reform Council followed by elections - I would insert a referendum in the middle there.

All except the first are achievable if the will is there, but it's not on the PTP side.

Some seem to think that another farcial election will solve everything. Moronic.

Yes, Suthep is not clean, but he has made a case for reform which, however it is done, is desperately needed. No real suggestions have come from PTP or their red friends.

We have had arguments that Suthep won't change dirty politics for the future. Maybe not but he has put the issue squarely in the public domain. It seems that the 'no change' brigade are happy to see Thailand continue on a downward path - being left behind by its neighbours. Some future.

The best question, above all, is why hasn't Suthep implemented these changes when the Democrats were running the government for years together with Abhisit? Why only complain about the structure of the government when you're not in power, but then do nothing to change it when you're in power? They had more than enough time with an absolute majority in parliament - they passed NONE of those proposals.

The easy answer is that Suthep wasn't in power - his party (which is not ruled by one man) was for a while and preoccupied with rather more violent protestors. In case you have missed it Suthep is not even representing the Democrat party now.

No the real question is when will the corrupt 'democratic' system change? It's so easy to find excuses for just carrying on with a failed system which has the country going downhill. Just look at the GDP, exports, transparency, the stock exchange & the Baht. All going downwards before the recent crisis - triggered incidently by government mismanagement and illegality.

Loans wont get repaid

Homes get foreclosed

Cars repossessed

The list goes on

Why would they do that when Siam Mackro is own by Thailands richest man, the same guy who owns CP and probably a yellow shirt himself. Incidently CP also own Lotus

The list goes on

Exactly.

So, okay...what has he actually said?

Except for "I want it all and I want it now!", there is a lot of "I will tell you later!"

He wants a lot- but fails to tell us HOW he will achieve that!

Thaksin is a populistic criminal- so is Suthep.

We may argue back and forth who is worse, but pretending that one is evil and the other one is pure as snow on the pines , is simply crazy (note, please: I said "One" and "the other", without mentioning names, because it is crazy from both sides)

• Like 1

The list goes on

Exactly.

The best question, above all, is why hasn't Suthep implemented these changes when the Democrats were running the government for years together with Abhisit? Why only complain about the structure of the government when you're not in power, but then do nothing to change it when you're in power? They had more than enough time with an absolute majority in parliament - they passed NONE of those proposals.

The easy answer is that Suthep wasn't in power - his party (which is not ruled by one man) was for a while and preoccupied with rather more violent protestors. In case you have missed it Suthep is not even representing the Democrat party now.

No the real question is when will the corrupt 'democratic' system change? It's so easy to find excuses for just carrying on with a failed system which has the country going downhill. Just look at the GDP, exports, transparency, the stock exchange & the Baht. All going downwards before the recent crisis - triggered incidently by government mismanagement and illegality.

All very good. Except.

If Suthep had such a strong argument then surely he could win enough support to win an election? The answer is he doesn't and he couldnt. The only way he can win is to introduce reforms that limit the choices. Hardly democratic and it is only possible with the help of the army. If you look it up, such a political landscape mirrors European fascism at its height.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Loans wont get repaid

Homes get foreclosed

Cars repossessed

The list goes on

What about having them grow up in a country that has free democratic elections and not an "appointed people's council?" And we know who's chaffing at the bit to appoint, don't we.

• Like 2

HaroldC,

154 IQ's happen like 40% of the time on the internet. You really used it well landing yourself in a low class neighborhood in a developing country.

Mine happened at the Bronx High School of Science. And yes, I used it well up until I left my $350,000 base salary on Wall St. running the world's 8th largest private data communications network in 1989 to move to Thailand at the invitation of the Thai government to help develop the country's ITC infrastructure. And apparently I have continued to use it well, since the company of which I am currently CEO is ranked as the 29th largest in its industry group in Asia (including China, Japan, and Korea) and the Middle East. As for my neighborhood, it is a 10 minute walk to my office. Luxury is of no interest to me whatsoever - been there, done that.

Curious that you think that people are interested in your salary or your current "ranking" in life. This isn't Linked In.

Just out of interest did you come across much corruption when the Thai Government "invited" you to develop the country's ITC infrastructure - did you speak up about it then?

I doubt that people in general are interested, but perhaps LarryBird might be since his implication is that I am liar and/or have failed to fulfill my potential.

Yes, I encountered endemic corruption when I was working on most government projects, the exception being a number of projects with the National Cancer Institute and the Prasat Neurological Institute. And yes, I did speak up about it then. I believe that one significant government contractor at that time decided to cease bidding on government contracts partially as a result of my discussions with their board of directors. But, as I originally said, I am a pragmatist. As a foreigner, I have little or no ability to influence the course of events other than through private communications.

Not a surprise.. Is it me, or is the medical field an exception to everything here? If you want to appoint a committee of a few here, and made it to be medical doctors, I'd be on board...

So in Thailand a billionaire using some dirty tricks is not allowed to run for office, but the others can highjack the country to reach some dark and unknown systems change as the only defense mechanics they can come up with?

Where is Tricky Nixon when you need him?

The list goes on

Exactly.

So, okay...what has he actually said?

Except for "I want it all and I want it now!", there is a lot of "I will tell you later!"

He wants a lot- but fails to tell us HOW he will achieve that!

Thaksin is a populistic criminal- so is Suthep.

We may argue back and forth who is worse, but pretending that one is evil and the other one is pure as snow on the pines , is simply crazy (note, please: I said "One" and "the other", without mentioning names, because it is crazy from both sides)

First if you bothered to read my post you would see that he mentioned a Reform Council. BTW he is not the only one asking for that. He wants it to meet and make decisions before a new election. Others have said it could be in parallel with an election. Whichever way it is - it is badly needed and its findings should be put to a referendum. PTP have no solution except more of the same.

Again I wrote that Suthep is not clean but he is not (yet anyway) a convicted criminal so he is quite entitled to put forward his ideas. The real craziness is thinking that nothing needs to be changed.

Exactly.

All very good. Except.

If Suthep had such a strong argument then surely he could win enough support to win an election? The answer is he doesn't and he couldnt. The only way he can win is to introduce reforms that limit the choices. Hardly democratic and it is only possible with the help of the army. If you look it up, such a political landscape mirrors European fascism at its height.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You seem to think - like so many pseudo-democrats - that an election (with the usual vote-buying & intimidation) will resolve the divisiveness in Thai politics. Sounds like the Mugabe solution.

As you don't seem to have read what Suthep is suggesting, the example of elected Provincial governors is not fascism. But it's so easy to paint labels when you don't want to know or bother to look at his proposals. Shoot the messenger like the lazy shoot from the hip posters.

Edited by khunken

Behind all this black & white only shouting, is there a satisfying assurance that the Thais aren't about to change the Czar for a Lenin/Stalin?

Nobody's misled easier than those who desperately want fair change. Europeans should know this.

Loans wont get repaid

Homes get foreclosed

Cars repossessed

The list goes on

I have a Thai daughter and don't wish her to grow up in a country where one man leading a minority can successfully overturn democracy. I would hope that my daughter would respect the decision of the majority, even though she may disagree with it, as that is at the very heart of any true democracy. As is the army's subservience to a government elected by that majority. As is the enforcement of the law, regardless of the status or wealth of those who break it. It's clear, then, that Thailand is no place to teach a child these principles. 65-75% of Thais support corruption that benefits them personally. Politicians of all hues are irretrievably corrupt, but amongst the worst are Thaksin & Suthep, which you would know if you read your recent Thai political history. Thailand is surely one of the few countries where the politically corrupt can lead a mass campaign against corruption.

It takes a land of sheep to accomplish all this.

Very well put.

I have 2 children and one of the things i will hammer home to them is that

"it is better to be poor but to have done an honest days work"

Reform needs to happen but under WHO?

I don't want to beat the dead horse into a frothy puddle, but I would like to know how this is at all possible.

Where else in the world can one man announce that he and his hoard will in a two weeks time perform acts of civil disobedience outside the rule of law in a stated attempt to overthrow the current, democratically elected government?

Seriously. How does this continue while the government, police force and military sit around and have tea? I just cannot wrap my mind around what set of circumstances would allow such acts to be planned, announced and then carried out.

• Like 2

Loans wont get repaid

Homes get foreclosed

Cars repossessed

The list goes on

Provide some evidence or it never happened.

The fear mongering about yellow shirts hating farangs is so ridiculous.

Grab a Thai flag and head down to a protest site and report the reaction.

I did and people were so pleased to see a farang in their midst. No different than when the red shirts were occupying Rajprasong.

ex-PAD'er Sondhi: "we don't want a western style capitalist based economy in Thailand"

Natthapong: "the riches of the West are all stolen in the colonies"

• Like 2

I am confused. I have been here 20+ years. When I first arrived, the news was always full of allegations of corruption, stories about corruption, corrupt politicians, corrupt police etc., etc.. This was long, long before Thaksin was in the picture.

It seems to me that some noses that have been in the trough of plenty for generations have been moved aside.

The problem seems to be just who is entitled to the spoils of Thailand. Suthep seems to want it to be his people.

(The Saudi gem cases was much more interesting at the time, though).

This all has surprisingly little to do with Thaksin Shinawatra, although Suthep's sheep are blissfully unaware of that.

• Like 1

The list goes on

Exactly.

Since you use the "How come" statement, can I say "maybe he wanted to", but afraid that there would be enough support. But after what this government has done to Thailand, he saw that millions of Thais shared his similar views. And as more and more people understand the issues, more will join, like the rice farmers.

I am confused. I have been here 20+ years. When I first arrived, the news was always full of allegations of corruption, stories about corruption, corrupt politicians, corrupt police etc., etc.. This was long, long before Thaksin was in the picture.

It seems to me that some noses that have been in the trough of plenty for generations have been moved aside.

The problem seems to be just who is entitled to the spoils of Thailand. Suthep seems to want it to be his people.

(The Saudi gem cases was much more interesting at the time, though).

This all has surprisingly little to do with Thaksin Shinawatra, although Suthep's sheep are blissfully unaware of that.

You are right about this. Thaksin was a wake up call that Thais needed. No longer can they live in denial.

Loans wont get repaid

Homes get foreclosed

Cars repossessed

The list goes on

my idea the same just get this guy in to jail can nobody see he is a second Hitler only educated people understand the real meaning of democracy

"Only educated people understand the meaning of democracy". Well that would surely rule out the majority of Isan and perhaps your good self.

.Truly educated people would understand that democracy has several forms and what is currently in practice in this country is Oligarchy and that is what this whole dam protest is all about. The people want a representative democracy which has competency and is devoid of the corruption and self interest and the dysfunctional mantra of the Shiwatra's and the PTP.

In your last sentence, you are correct the people want competency, anti-corruption and self interest government, but is Suthep the answer to all that and if really the Shin's clan out of politic can you or anyone grantee that all this (competency, anti-corruption and self interest) will re totally remove? I really won't bet on that due to all politician by the end of the day will be the same(incompetency, corrupted and self interest).