Mountain biking in Chiang Mai and Chiang Dao

Karolis

Any ideas if these two areas are worth checking ? Or staying close to Chang mai is better.

#1 http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/1377340-mueangpaeng_hueipooloei_watchan/#/z12/19.12797,98.34514/google_roadmap

No idea if it's possible to get accomodation somewhere in the middle for a two day trip (Wat Chan town ?)

#2 http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/2394305-ander-loopje-rond-hotel/#/z12/18.98779,98.83815/google_roadmap

Track description says it's a paved one. Could the description be wrong ?

Rode a portion of #2 today. Great trail. It starts out right behind the assembly hall of the Adventist Academy and quickly climbs to 700 meters for a traverse south on the ridge. First few km are fire road-like with many intersections, but then it quickly turns into nice single track. Beautiful forest but unfortunately not much for views due to the dense trees. I bushwacked up to a few peaks but never did get a view. The trail is very good, and talking to a local, there are MTB tour groups using it, as well as an occasional elephant tour. This is a pretty big ride so make sure you take a fair amount of food.

Some photos.... Trail is not very technical, although there are a few sketchy parts as well as some death grooves from the wet season that are quite nasty if you happen to hit one on a downhill. Still enough moisture up there that the clay can be slick in places.

post-498-0-21196700-1389943972_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-20667500-1389944000_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-11162400-1389944016_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-74038100-1389944028_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-77915200-1389944043_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A water filter was mentioned couple times in this thread. But I'm not familiar with using this kind device on my mountain biking trips.

It is some small portable filter to clean possibly contained water from rivers/springs, ect ?

A water filter was mentioned couple times in this thread. But I'm not familiar with using this kind device on my mountain biking trips.

It is some small portable filter to clean possibly contained water from rivers/springs, ect ?

I used one of these for years. Most outdoor sports stores should carry them.

http://www.rei.com/product/617913/msr-sweetwater-water-filter

There is also the less clunky Lifestraw that allows you to drink directly from a water source and weighs only about 60g.

@T_Dog: the "death grooves" you are referring to are the ones in picture 4?

Cheers, CM-Expat

Yes. Caused by motorcycles spinning up the steeper sections in the rainy season. They occur on that trail in odd places wherever there is clay and I hit a few on fast downhills that nearly got me. Should have been more careful on a new trail. Also some deep holes from elephants in places and a few minor rock ledges. I'd like to ride it again but my knees are telling me to wait a while.

Yes. Caused by motorcycles spinning up the steeper sections in the rainy season. They occur on that trail in odd places wherever there is clay and I hit a few on fast downhills that nearly got me. Should have been more careful on a new trail.

You are aware that most downhillers wouldn't even bother braking for these baby ruts?

Ah well, to be honest, I'd be careful, too, not because of the ruts, but because of the green stuff (the moss) that grows on them. It's super slippery. Hard loam + moisture = disaster. Had a few crashes last year because of these. It's probably better to let your wheels slip into the rut rather than to ride on the moss. Now during the winter & dry season, the moss tends to disappear and these loamy/rutted trails become easier to ride. On Doi Suthep/Pui, they are the norm, BTW, there are as many ruts on Doi Pui trails as stars in the universe.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Edited by chiangmaiexpat

• 3 months later...

Are there any hard core downhill riders in CM? Got a friend who travels the world looking for good downhill tracks.

Yes, quite a few. Plenty of DH trails on Doi Pui, all quite "unkempt" but fun. You might want to start exploring with the local DH scene at X-biking or Mojo bike shop.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

Are there any hard core downhill riders in CM? Got a friend who travels the world looking for good downhill tracks.

Yes, quite a few. Plenty of DH trails on Doi Pui, all quite "unkempt" but fun. You might want to start exploring with the local DH scene at X-biking or Mojo bike shop.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Thanks for the info - I shall pass this on to my pal.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Thanks for the info - I shall pass this on to my pal.

That's all good info, Mei at Mojo can set you / or your friend up. Try also Mad Monkey who really have the place wired: https://www.facebook.com/groups/118601951644566/

Edited by bobfish
  • Like 1