Bangkok taxi drivers demand end to protests

webfact

A bit hypocritical. They served the reds well, blocking streets and being idiots. Now the shoe is on the other foot, they are upset!!!

For "hypocritical" read democratic.

The "population" is quite happy with the current government, thank you very much (it's they who voted them in, after all).

It's only the elite who are throwing their rattles out of the pram cuz no-one likes them or wants them to govern in the current administration's stead.

You have no clue at all, "it's only the elite!". What a comment to make, you've really fallen for the Red propaganda.

Do we have to explain it your lot all again. Speak to the real people, go outside and speak to people on the street and see why they are unhappy with this Government. This isn't no rich vs poor thing going on, wake up.

The South of Thailand, are they elite? No. Are they poor? A lot of them, yes. Are the majority, anti-Government, yes?

The Elite - a lot of them are anti the Government, sure. But a lot of the Elite are pro-Thaksin too, a hell of a lot. And what about the Shinatarwa (sic) family, not exactly, trudging the fields every day are they?

Then you have your working classes and middle classes, some who are pro Government, some Anti, some Neutral. Many of these are disgusted with the Government after what they see in a failed Rice Scam robbing their taxes they pay, a Government that continually lies and corrupt to the core and let's not forget the thing that started all this mayhem, a whitewash bill, to make corrupt, deceitful criminals have nothing to answer for.

That my friend, is why the people are upset and taking to the streets. Do the majority of these people like Suthep, from what I hear, not many. They do however, know it's right for this Government to be railed in. If the Government had done its job properly then none of this would have happened. Simple. But no, they got greedy, power hungry and thought of one man, just one man, over the needs and wishes of the people. That's disgusting.

It appears that you are the one who seems to have no clue at all, I would ask that YOU go out on the street and talk to people, countrywide, not locally, and I guarantee you will see that there is more support for this ELECTED government that you can possibly imagine, wipe your little yellow specs and stop listening to people that tell you that they are educated, believe me, they are the worst!

Well, looks like someone's been brainwashed from the Red Propaganda. You probably think all Bangkok folk that are unhappy with the Government are all rich Elites with 5 maids and bentleys. Do you believe Yinkgluck when she says her family don't want power, just peace; do you shed a tear when you see YL crying? Are you happy that billions have disappeared from the rice scam when it could have gone to books, schools, homes, water and hospitals for the poor in Thailand?

I know and have spoken to many from Thailand, some pro-Thaksin, but the majority, anti. And not one I know agrees that the Amnesty bill was a good move, not one, not even the Neutrals or the Pro Government ones.

If the majority of people here are happy to support a corrupt, thieving Government that puts one family and its friends before the education and health of the people, then they have been fed propaganda. Just like the majority voted in the Nazis, propaganda wins you elections, it doesn't mean it's morally the right move.

• Like 1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All anti-government farangs on this forum know very well that there is more support for this elected government than for Suthep, his yellow thugs, the ever losing Dems, or the "people's council's nonsense thing"... That is why you can witness so much anger from their part.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah good ole Gerry, the only sane Pro-Thaksin fan on here. Where have you been?

Come on buddy, re-read your earlier post about over charging the protesters and the majority of other pro-Thaksin posts on this thread, there's far more anger being brewed up.

The "population" is quite happy with the current government, thank you very much (it's they who voted them in, after all).

It's only the elite who are throwing their rattles out of the pram cuz no-one likes them or wants them to govern in the current administration's stead.

You have no clue at all, "it's only the elite!". What a comment to make, you've really fallen for the Red propaganda.

Do we have to explain it your lot all again. Speak to the real people, go outside and speak to people on the street and see why they are unhappy with this Government. This isn't no rich vs poor thing going on, wake up.

The South of Thailand, are they elite? No. Are they poor? A lot of them, yes. Are the majority, anti-Government, yes?

The Elite - a lot of them are anti the Government, sure. But a lot of the Elite are pro-Thaksin too, a hell of a lot. And what about the Shinatarwa (sic) family, not exactly, trudging the fields every day are they?

Then you have your working classes and middle classes, some who are pro Government, some Anti, some Neutral. Many of these are disgusted with the Government after what they see in a failed Rice Scam robbing their taxes they pay, a Government that continually lies and corrupt to the core and let's not forget the thing that started all this mayhem, a whitewash bill, to make corrupt, deceitful criminals have nothing to answer for.

That my friend, is why the people are upset and taking to the streets. Do the majority of these people like Suthep, from what I hear, not many. They do however, know it's right for this Government to be railed in. If the Government had done its job properly then none of this would have happened. Simple. But no, they got greedy, power hungry and thought of one man, just one man, over the needs and wishes of the people. That's disgusting.

It appears that you are the one who seems to have no clue at all, I would ask that YOU go out on the street and talk to people, countrywide, not locally, and I guarantee you will see that there is more support for this ELECTED government that you can possibly imagine, wipe your little yellow specs and stop listening to people that tell you that they are educated, believe me, they are the worst!

I don't believe you.

Then please explain why the PTP and Yingluck take the lead in opinion polls.

• Like 1

All anti-government farangs on this forum know very well that there is more support for this elected government than for Suthep, his yellow thugs, the ever losing Dems, or the "people's council's nonsense thing"... That is why you can witness so much anger from their part.

Come on buddy, re-read your earlier post about over charging the protesters and the majority of other pro-Thaksin posts on this thread, there's far more anger being brewed up.

Gerry's hit the nail on the head. You can easily tell when the yellow-shirt apologists have lost the argument because they get angry and start using abusive language.

• Like 1

I have been enjoying Christmas and New Year... :D

Sorry for having been less present in the two past weeks. I won't do it again :lol:

But here I am after the holidays, refreshed and in great mood, ready to enjoy our (totally useless) (and most of the time silly) discussions about the fact that Suthep, apart from destroying the livelihood of thousands of taxi drivers, will, hopefully, not succeed in destroying democracy, and, ideally, will end up rotting in a (preferably stinking) prison cell, while the PT will score, once again, a great victory in the next democratic elections (which is obvious since the beginning).

About the "anger" thing, I don't have to re-read any post. It is clearly there. It just needs to be nurtured for better (and more passionate) results on this forum :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have been enjoying Christmas and New Year... biggrin.png

Sorry for having been less present in the two past weeks. I won't do it again laugh.png

Been to Dubai ?

• Like 1

I have been enjoying Christmas and New Year... biggrin.png

Sorry for having been less present in the two past weeks. I won't do it again laugh.png

Been to Dubai ?

Who knows... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Considering the probably allegiance of many, if not most drivers, and the disruption of their livelyhood, I can imagine where the spark just might ignite …..

Strange now how they are so concerned about this ..............they didn't say much about the rip-offs and the poor guy who was macheted to death by one of them.

• Like 1

These protests are in the center of bangkok. Bangkok area is a big area and you have the expressways. So you can still get around. Taxi drivers can scirt around the problems and make fares outside the center.

Lmfao .... You do not drive here, that much is obvious

• Like 1

Try making yourself familiar with the meaning of democratic elections and when you have learned what that means do some research on how the Shinawtra clan win their elections and why the people of Thailand cannot have democratical elections while this dynasty is on the scene.

Walking on very thin ice there. Very thin indeed. I certainly wouldn't have mentioned the 'D' word.

Of course you wouldn't, given your political beliefs.

Makes you wonder how long it will take on the 13th for a pissed off taxi driver to push down on the gas and drive through the blockades.

Based on the past unstable behavior of several of them, not long before a taxi runs headlong into a crowd of people. Whether or not those people are even protestors won't matter to the driver.

A little off topic but when I lived in Bangkok in the late eighties the traffic was so bad petrol stations were selling porta potties for people caught short in their cars in the horrific jams.

I wonder if Suthep has been stocking up on those porta potties to make a financial killing when he shuts down the big city?

Or even:

post-51-0-99381000-1388884181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thailand

Makes you wonder how long it will take on the 13th for a pissed off taxi driver to push down on the gas and drive through the blockades.

Mindless violence is your answer to everything?

Not the first time he's advocated running protestors down.

I don't believe you.

Then please explain why the PTP and Yingluck take the lead in opinion polls.

I don't think there's much question about the popularity of the present government although I would have preferred them to carry on so we could see how long they could manage to cover up their failings. The rice scheme would be very interesting as they've already tried to cut the price once and had to back off due to protest so it's clear they think they are paying too much. Of course if there is an election then they will have even longer to try to sort things out.

I think to understand this better you need to look at what or rather who sparked all these protests. Remember there was a lot of anger over the governments actions but no protests until an amnesty was voted through. The Dems, as far as I know had already agreed to an amnesty that would have freed rank and file red shirts so they could have been home by now. So who are the main beneficiaries of the wider amnesty? Well there would appear to be a lot of people, probably from both sides that have been charged with corruption. That's the corruption that the PTP has said at several photo ops that it wants to stop. I don't think the Dems asked for this. Then there are Abhisit and Suthep but they have been very clear that they don't want or need an amnesty and looking at the evidence so far it looks as though those needing protecting from the law are the army and they've already got that. That leaves Thaksin as the main beneficary and the reall problem here.

The PTP may well have been elected but he wasn't but he appears to be exerting a lot of control and the fact his sister was made PM only serves to promote that view.

I don't necessarily agree with Suthep's views or plans and it's clear a lot of those who are anti government don't either but the main focus is on ridding politics of his influence and changing the electoral process to stop this sort of outside control. I don't know the best way to do that but I do think that the party list system needs getting rid of so that those in parliament have been voted there and not just put there and they have people in their constituency that they are responsible to regardless of who they voted for. This will clearly affect all sides not just the PTP.

y wife was surprised when I told her that I could very easily go to see my MP in the UK if I had a problem that he could deal with and it wouldn't matter or be asked who I voted for. This is the case even if your MP is a minister or the PM.

Based on the past unstable behavior of several of them, not long before a taxi runs headlong into a crowd of people. Whether or not those people are even protestors won't matter to the driver.

Actually, driving your car into people or things in fits of hysterical rage appears to be more the preserve of the other side. You perhaps don't remember this rich kid (who incidentally seems to be enjoying himself at the whistleblowers protests currently):

Earlier Saturday, protesters swarmed around a Porsche car, angrily smashing its windows after its driver bulldozed a line of motorcycles the group had parked. His motive was not known.

Riot police guarding the InterContinental Hotel said the luxury vehicle finally hit a fire hydrant, and the driver battled through a group of demonstrators before police intervened and took him into the hotel.

Police, who found a handgun in the car, later identified the driver as Thanat Thanakitamnuay, grandson of prominent businessman and former Deputy Prime Minister Amnuay Viravan.

This is just what’s wrong with this country. A rich man can drive into protesters and get away,” said Sakda, a factory worker from suburban Bangkok. He declined to give his full name.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/30672/rich-poor-gap-sybolism/

'A woman was rescued by police after angry protesters surrounded her car when she tried to slam her Toyota Vigo pick-up truck at red-shirt people in front of the Bangkok Bank on Silom Road at 2:20 pm Tuesday.

She was driving towards the group of demonstrators on the road, prompting them to rush to surround her car.

Police rushed in to help and keep the protesters away from the pick-up and the woman sped away.'

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Woman-rescued-by-police-after-trying-to-slam-car-a-30126514.html

And what to make of these antics... ?

Miss Suwan Chidchanok a judge of the Court of Appeals lost her temper when her car was taken and impounded by the police after it was found illegally parked and blocking a Road causing a huge traffic jam not far from a “red shirts” rally in support of Somyot Prueksakasemsuk a magazine editor who in 2013 was sentenced to eleven year’s imprisonment for LM. (see here, here and here for related videos)

mad-judge.jpg?w=350&h=232The Matichon reports that she also vented her anger at the police station as she hurled abuse at many officers before she threw an omelette and rice dish at the car of Police Lieutenant General Khamronnawit Thupkrachang in protest over the arrest of a soldier who tried to stop the PM from entering the Ministry of Defence.

She then gets into her car and drives over a steel barrier dragging it out onto the main road before driving off.

http://gjbkkblog.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/a-yellow-shirt-judge-to-face-judicial-discipline-after-going-berserk/

Not to mention the PAD protester who drove his pick-up over police in 2008. That was a tragic incident all round. He says it was an accident after he was partially blinded and some red shirts who he is jailed with believe him and have written letters in support of him. Probably best to give him the benefit of the doubt...

Edited by Emptyset

I guess Sutheps "The People" doesn't include taxi drivers with hungry families. Or people on the minimum wage, which he wants to cut. Or stock market investors, who are currently losing money. Or rice farmers. Or Bangkok commuters.

Come to think of it, who does he represent, really?

Suthep and his group of rich and elite mates who want the country by any means possible. excluding elections which they will never win.

Doesn't it get tiresome pretending that all those protesting about a corrupt, inept and autocratic government are "rich and elite"? What is the point of repeating an obvious lie?

Go on then, give us all an example of a working class person who can afford to spend weeks on the streets of Bangkok campaigning for his vote to be taken away and to have a cut in the minimum wage. The only 'working class' people you will see at a Suthep rally are the deeply deluded and the rent-a-mob who are paid to be there.

If the government is corrupt, inept and autocratic then the way to get rid of it is with..........an election!

Utter rubbish. How do you know that all the people at the protests at a given time are there all the time? Many will come and go as they can. If they live away from Bangkok and have jobs then they can't possibly be there all the time. My wife went to the rally a couple of weeks ago from Isaan and she's working class as are all her family. Most are anti government but some are pro and one at least likes Thaksin. She doesn't agree with Suthep but she doesn't like the government or corruption either. She's not deluded or rent a mob. These protests are anti government not necessarily pro Suthep. If reforms are to take place then just voting back in the very party that sparked all this although not the only problem by any means won't stop anything so there may be a need for some interim power through some people's council. It would have to from all sides and I don't think that's what Suthep is proposing as he appears, from what little I know of his plans to want to claim most of the power himself.

• Like 1

A bit hypocritical. They served the reds well, blocking streets and being idiots. Now the shoe is on the other foot, they are upset!!!

As I have asked another on this subject and it's not a criticism of you opinion; ,How are you affected by all this political wrangling? Are you financially worse off? Is your family affected in anyway? I'm just curious to know why so many foreigners are taking sides so passionately?

I don't think there's much question about the popularity of the present government although I would have preferred them to carry on so we could see how long they could manage to cover up their failings. The rice scheme would be very interesting as they've already tried to cut the price once and had to back off due to protest so it's clear they think they are paying too much. Of course if there is an election then they will have even longer to try to sort things out.

I think to understand this better you need to look at what or rather who sparked all these protests. Remember there was a lot of anger over the governments actions but no protests until an amnesty was voted through. The Dems, as far as I know had already agreed to an amnesty that would have freed rank and file red shirts so they could have been home by now. So who are the main beneficiaries of the wider amnesty? Well there would appear to be a lot of people, probably from both sides that have been charged with corruption. That's the corruption that the PTP has said at several photo ops that it wants to stop. I don't think the Dems asked for this. Then there are Abhisit and Suthep but they have been very clear that they don't want or need an amnesty and looking at the evidence so far it looks as though those needing protecting from the law are the army and they've already got that. That leaves Thaksin as the main beneficary and the reall problem here.

The PTP may well have been elected but he wasn't but he appears to be exerting a lot of control and the fact his sister was made PM only serves to promote that view.

I don't necessarily agree with Suthep's views or plans and it's clear a lot of those who are anti government don't either but the main focus is on ridding politics of his influence and changing the electoral process to stop this sort of outside control. I don't know the best way to do that but I do think that the party list system needs getting rid of so that those in parliament have been voted there and not just put there and they have people in their constituency that they are responsible to regardless of who they voted for. This will clearly affect all sides not just the PTP.

y wife was surprised when I told her that I could very easily go to see my MP in the UK if I had a problem that he could deal with and it wouldn't matter or be asked who I voted for. This is the case even if your MP is a minister or the PM.

'The Dems, as far as I know had already agreed to an amnesty that would have freed rank and file red shirts so they could have been home by now.' Abhisit offered support for the People's Bill pushed by Nurse Kate's mother and a few other red shirts. That wouldn't have freed the arsonists though but on balance it was probably the best proposal. Anyway, when the bill was in the senate, I favoured Democrat Alongkorn's proposal that they have the Senate amend the bill back to rank and file only - which they could have done - that would've meant the amnesty bill was off the table - i.e. couldn't be reconfirmed by parliament - and that ordinary protesters were freed. But I guess by then the Democrats and those who back them saw their opportunity...

And I suppose from a realpolitik perspective I would've done the same as them.

'I don't necessarily agree with Suthep's views or plans and it's clear a lot of those who are anti government don't either' Well, if they don't agree with his plans and views, surely they would've stopped attending protests by now? (I know people who've done just that, believing he's gone too far, but are still as anti-Thaksin as ever). Tbh, there are many online comments that suggest the anti-govt people view him as hero. Their opinion of him two or three years ago is irrelevant now, they seem to believe in him. There may be some who're skeptical about him still attending protests, but the general opinion now is that he's one of the 'good people'.

'I don't know the best way to do that but I do think that the party list system needs getting rid of so that those in parliament have been voted there and not just put there and they have people in their constituency that they are responsible to regardless of who they voted for.'

It's interesting that people keep saying this, because I've argued the opposite. To be honest, I'm not convinced vote buying is such a serious issue anymore, and it'll continue to decline without drastic change with the reduction in poverty and increasing public participation/engagement in the democratic system. But if you really wanted to see the death of old school pork barrel politics and vote buying (cf. the 'local godfather' argument), wouldn't switching to a wholly party list system better suit this purpose?

It'd probably something along the lines of the system Germany uses. I mean, I see your reasoning too but the main argument people use against Thaksin (wrongly in my view) is vote buying and this idea of a local business elite who control upcountry provinces like personal fiefdoms. As I've said before, I think the idea that local godfathers still control everything is rapidly becoming a fiction, or is at least overstated, but the nevertheless the patronage system people complain about is linked to local politics (and, of course, you still do have people like Newin in Burriram and Banharn in Suphan and yes, Suthep, in Surat Thani).

So, from hua khanan to kamnan to local MP. Cut the link and you've eliminated much of the influence local political factions have at a stroke. And it's true that most of the cleaner technocratic MPs people like come from the party list.

Of course, the Democrats increased the number of party list seats in their last constitutional change, thinking it'd benefit them based on the 2007 results which PPP won by a whisker on the PL. But it didn't work so well in practice, because, since the 'red' identity has become stronger, people have sometimes voted for their local faction MP, whilst voting for PT on the party list. In 2007, not so much, because the military had tried to re-empower local factions to compete against PPP, hence their funding oh Puea Pandin.

They're actually happy with the old style politics, as long as it helps them defeat Thaksin. That's one reason I don't give much hope for 'progressive' reform from this Council. They'll do whatever it takes to make sure they win against Thaksin, and I don't think much of that will involve fair and forward looking changes to the system. They can't afford to be wishy washy this time around.

It's about winning at all costs.

I mean, frankly, I'd be against the idea even if I thought they (meaning the leaders and those behind the movement, not the protesters) had good intentions, because I don't think it's right to suspend democracy again and it won't be accepted by the red shirts. It will require massive repression. Some of them might even still consider themselves liberals. But what use is it to be a liberal in theory if you're authoritarian in practice? As Nietszche said ''Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster".

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 2

I think you hit the nail on the head about this. While you are asking that, can you also ask them if they know how much this govt. is taking Thailand to financial disaster. It is hard for them to even make an inform decision, when they are constanly be fed red propaganda. You seem like an educated person. Can you tell me how this govt is doing a good job? Then you might be able to sway me. Because so far this govt. has not swayed me.

Actually, driving your car into people or things in fits of hysterical rage appears to be more the preserve of the other side.

The lunatic taxi driver plowing into a tank is a good example.

post-195136-13889100981054_thumb.jpg

At last.

The real "populace" are speaking.

Those who stand to lose the very daily rice they put on their families tables due to the selfish actions of an elite minority and its paid canon-fodder, should the capital be further disrupted.

Forget the Army and forget the Police, you really, really, really don't wanna upset the taxi/MC brigade.

You'll barely be able to sit down for a week, if you do.

Nice 1.

The real populace are starting to speak.

All we need now are the street-vendors who don't have their carts insured, in order to be smashed by protestors and the bar owners who are in similar position to join them. Not to mention the street girls workers.

Who would voluntarily face down that lot?

Thusep and his ilk will be heading for Dubai, in quick order.

Where was the voice of your real "populace" during 2010 protests ? I bet they were protesting. Pot, kettle...

• Like 1