Yowling Cats At Night - How To Deter?

Amazing, I sit here listening to the dogs howling outside as my soppy cat sleeps silently on the floor.

The OP wants to silence the cats for his benefit while his dogs often sit at the bottom of the wall barking up a frenzy!

My cat hates fireworks...why not have a 20 minute firework display every night to keep the cats away.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How can I stop people asking stupid questions on forums?

It takes a lot of practice but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

You've about as much chance as stopping politicians having absurdly stupid ideas..........same animal.

The long-term solution would be to trap the cats, take them to the vet and have them spayed/neutered. That would put to rest their nocturnal howling.

Maybe a temporary solution would be to buy a Dazzer, an ultrasonic device which we can't hear, but will drive dogs and cats away.

Just a thought....how do you know if it's working if we cannot hear it!!??.....555

My last cat, a male and not a noise problem, solved it through Darwinism.

Got so carried away with a neighbouring female cat that they both fell off the roof into the large clay water cistern.

Only found them the next morning.

How many are there? 3, 5, 15, 40? Just get them spayed. Ask the neighbours to round up their cats and spay them. Snip Snip no more yowling and no more kitties.

The chilli spray is to keep them off the garden, put a sprinkler on facing the wall. They hate water. Don't hurt them they are just doing what they do. Being cats. Apart from little fights for territory. Which don^t last long unless they end up in your kitchen.

Edited by Patsycat

Amazing, I sit here listening to the dogs howling outside as my soppy cat sleeps silently on the floor.

The OP wants to silence the cats for his benefit while his dogs often sit at the bottom of the wall barking up a frenzy!

My cat hates fireworks...why not have a 20 minute firework display every night to keep the cats away.

Fireworks have already been discussed and relegated to the useless suggestion file. We just brought in the New Year (like the rest of the country) and there wasn't a cat OR DOG to be seen or heard... until around 3 AM on New Years day!!

If you read my post, you would have noted that my dog (and the neighbours) only yak it up at night when there's a noisy feline on the wall. Otherwise, they sleep quietly out front. It's the cats that make them bark.

My last cat, a male and not a noise problem, solved it through Darwinism.

Got so carried away with a neighbouring female cat that they both fell off the roof into the large clay water cistern.

Only found them the next morning.

On the contrary, I would suggest that the male is the most noisome gender of the nocturnal feline. This based on current personal experience (see below). As an earlier poster pointed out, the tom kicks off the ruckus with his 'come and get it' yowling whereas the molly yowls in some faux denial although she is obviously gagging for it.

RIP soggy moggy.

Go around to your neighbours and find out who owns the cats. Buy all the cats from them. See how they like it when your cats keep them awake at night.

That would be as pointless as going around any Thai village seeking those claiming to own the soi dogs. IMHO, there's only one sort of pussy that's worth investing in, sorry.

How many are there? 3, 5, 15, 40? Just get them spayed. Ask the neighbours to round up their cats and spay them. Snip Snip no more yowling and no more kitties.

The chilli spray is to keep them off the garden, put a sprinkler on facing the wall. They hate water. Don't hurt them they are just doing what they do. Being cats. Apart from little fights for territory. Which don^t last long unless they end up in your kitchen.

To be honest, after a week of observation, there appears to be a couple of noisy toms. One looks reasonably domesticated and fat so assume that during the day, he sleeps indoors somewhere nearby. The other tom is a dark-striped, scruffy looking bugger with a knot for a tail and unfeasibly large nuts. Looks a bit feral to me. Both of these seem to be in competition for at least one female that is totally someone's house cat in the daytime as it sleeps under cars parked in the street and has a collar and a bloody bell!

Today I experimented with making up a black pepper-based mixture that I sprayed liberally on the top of my garden walls. The house behind us being empty, I jumped into that yard and discovered a mess of UNCOVERED cat turds (see? they DO NOT bury their <deleted>!) and I happily pepper-sprayed their shithouse, the nearby shrubbery and also the walls that had all these little grubby cat pawprints where they jumped up onto the wall.

I have just come home after a night on the lash and to be honest, I haven't heard any noise out the back. However, there is a bit of a muted song and dance going on across the street and 2 doors up so assume that my pepper spray is working and they now have a new venue.

Why is the cat's bell bloody???

The owner is presumably an animal lover as he or she prefers the cat doesn't catch birds.

A Tom cat often leaves me an un-burried surprise as it pursues my neutered female... I guess.

Cats wander, deterrent sprays may last a few days but they will be back.

It is one of the factors of living in Thailand, for me it is the neighbour's dogs that are a problem.

I trust you will ignore all the cruel suggestions on this thread. Cats and indeed dogs and ALL animals have just as much right to be here sharing the planet as you and I have. In fact, a cat born in Thailand probably has more rights.

It is really rather simple. Cats, unless the are BIG cats such as tigers, dislike water. Arm yourself with a water pistol and, as luck would have it, there will be thousands on sale soon in anticipation of Songkran.

Keep it primed and at hand and spray the cats with water. Using a powerful spray available for a few hundred Baht, you can reach them at a distance that will deter but not harm them. Highly intelligent and revered in Thailand by both Buddhist and Muslim alike - more so than dogs, they will soon learn to stay clear of your garden for fear of a soaking, although their calling you can never stop unless you round them up and neuter them all and even then they might chatter.

Personally, I encourage cats, which is probably why, despite living next to a rubber plantation, I have no problems with snakes and yet my neighbours have BIG problems. Fiesty Siamese cats being the most effective, as you would expect in Siam/Thailand.

I am always deeply suspicious of those who would recommend cruelty to animals, especially as research has proven they are more likely to abuse women, children and the elderly and that is a fact. One particular quote is quite shocking; "Mistreating animals is no longer seen as an isolated incident that can be ignored: it is often an indicator or predictor crime and a red flag warning sign that other family members in the household may not be safe."

Here are a couple of links with further information:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/abuse_neglect/qa/cruelty_violence_connection_faq.html

http://acestoohigh.com/2013/03/26/the-inextricable-link-animal-abuse-domestic-violence-child-abuse-elder-abuse/

Furthermore, Thai law CATegorises pets as property and it is unlawful for you to do damage (harm) to another person's property.

Feral cats do more damage to the natural environment than people in Australia they kill endangered animals and breed like rats as you say your cats kill snakes on your land don't they have a right to live the same as cats, cats are cruel killers ofter playing with their prey for a long time before the final kill

Rather than do harm, embrace the wonderful sound, sights and smells of nature we have in Thailand. Cats nightime chattering never lasts longer than a few minutes anyway as they do get bored easily - as do I.' -theMagician

Latest update from the currently cat-free Nan Laew estate.

It has been a couple of days since I pepper-sprayed the boundary wall and selected spots in the garden of the currently unoccupied neighboring home. No yowling these past couple of nights and when they are heard, they are over in someone elses back yard. I noticed a cat taking a detour on the road around my yard (corner home) this morning, running the gauntlet of the few soi dogs but definitely avoiding the short-cut through my place. One of my dogs like to bark when a cat passes through and she has also been quiet these past couple of days.

I guess pepper spray works! Win-win for cat lovers and haters of barking dogs too.

Are they ferals or owned,make shift box trap than take them to the dump theyll have a picnic there but if there owned could only suggest getting a infrared camera and throwing stones thats what i did amazing how unaware and sneeky they think they are when in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand