Cheap Flight from CNX to Chicago

Mekong Bob

Not to Chicago, but I did recently fly KAL to the US. There is usually a long layover at the Inchon airport on the return leg. But at the airport there is a lounge (its on the upper level) with a small complimentary buffet and desktops (there is free wifi throughout the airport) that you can use for 5 hours for about $20US if you have a KAL boarding pass. And just outside and past the lounge there are a number of large lounger chairs and sofas to stretch out and sleep upon as well as a free shower facility. So not that bad of a layover once you get to know that airport's transit area.

• Like 1

1. Air Asia CNX -> HKG

2. Cathay Pacific HKG -> ORD

This just about works time-wise, as the Air Asia flight leaves Chiang Mai very early, just in time to catch the Cathay flight direct to Chicago O'Hare. Transit is a little tight because it's Air Asia, so you have to go through immigration in HKG and pick up any checked bag. Use the Cathay web check in in advance.

This will set you back $1074 for the HKG-ORD flight, plus whatever Air Asia wants which varies. If this is mid February onwards then it's just $100 or so.

So you're there, with one stop and a quick transit, for around $1200.

( This is the first time in the history of the world that such convenient and affordable travel is available between these two cities. smile.png )

On the way back it works less well as you end up with a party night in Hong Kong.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Yes, my wife and I went CM to Korea with a 5 hour wait then direct to Chicago over Thanksgiving on Korean Air for about $1500 each. Good food and entertainment, nothing to complain about. On the way back the wait in Korea is only 2 hours.

I can say nothibg but Good things about Korean Air. I do the bkk to Dallas ever year, with only 2 hr layover. Notice they do CM also. They are the cheapest for thailand to us. Save a few dollars and use their wedsite instead of a travel site.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Not to Chicago, but I did recently fly KAL to the US. There is usually a long layover at the Inchon airport on the return leg. But at the airport there is a lounge (its on the upper level) with a small complimentary buffet and desktops (there is free wifi throughout the airport) that you can use for 5 hours for about $20US if you have a KAL boarding pass. And just outside and past the lounge there are a number of large lounger chairs and sofas to stretch out and sleep upon as well as a free shower facility. So not that bad of a layover once you get to know that airport's transit area.

Good info here. 100% correct. Seoul-Incheon Airport (ICN) is a fantastic facility. Outside of the fanciest malls in Kuala Lumpur, I have never seen such a cluster of high end tony shops all in one place. And people actually buy the stuff!

I fly KAL from CNX-ICN, then ICN-SeattleTacoma (SEA). The layover in ICN is Eleven and a Half Hours! I suppose one could get out of the transit area and go for a few hours sightseeing in Seoul, but I hate dealing with any extra officialdom, so stay at the airport. There is a transit hotel inside the terminal, that i have used before. Costs about $120 for a very small room. Not worth the cost, in my opinion. Next time I'm going to pay the $20 and use the lounge, then the free showers and the free couches upstairs, after pretending I want to buy a complete matching set of Louis Vuitton luggage, and several pairs of Chanel brand shoes (simple flats = $900) for my wife.

Coming back from SEA-INC-CNX, the layover time is minimal, barely time to take the LONG walk out of transit area to the CNX loading area. I just purchased a return economy ticket for March 2014 for $1190. KAL is as fine an airline as you'll find, and the ability to skip BKK is a strong plus for me.