Why Does This Farang Walk With Shoes Half-On?

Some may recall that in some other countries the people walk around with their feet half way in their shoes.

It is as if they are just too lazy to get their heels in there,

And the backs of the shoes get completely broken down and flattened.

What is this about?

And yesterday evening in Chiang Mai in a Rot Deng, I noticed this otherwise sartorially well endowed Farang had his heels half in his black leather shoes, but his shoes were flattened also.

What gives?

Why is it that people enjoy walking around like this?

And why not just use a knife to cut off the back part of the shoe, or get black flip-flops to wear with your suit?

Please comment, because this has been bugging me all night.

Thank you.

Bugging you all night !! how are you today? ok i hope just as an after thought maybe you should have approached this despicable person

with a view to enlighten them as to their follybiggrin.png so they may wish to brush up on the new dress code in Chiang Mai wai2.gif

• Like 2

I did not want to embarrass the poor man, although he did not seem financially poor.

I thought if I asked him why, then he might think he was odd. I have seen a lot of Taiwanese all over their island walking around with caved in shoe heels, but never a Farang, and never one dressed in a decent looking suit.

Now that I have noticed this Farang with his peculiarity, today I saw that one of the workmen here also wears his shoes the same way.

This whole thing continues to bug me, and now I am going into my second night without being suitable enlightened.

after 7½ years Thaivisa i thought i have read all possible stupid questions. quite obviously i was wrong laugh.png

That sounds like a challenge to me.

By the way, why do they wear their jackets back to front when riding their motorcycles, and why does no-one produce zip-up-the-back jackets?

Incidentally, last time I asked, someone chipped up "This one's like that, but I wear it back to front." and after that, the discussion descended...

SC

• Like 2

I think if you asked him "why", it would be him thinking you were odd. Are you serious OP? You don't know why people do that here?

Clue: It is often a cultural requirement to remove shoes before entering certain buildings or rooms within a building.

Korea is rank with shoe-horns for that very reason. I've bought myself a shoe-horn just recently - 50 baht in IKEA, it's a good long-handled one. Anyone that wants to doff their shoes when they come into my place is welcome to use it.

SC

I think if you asked him "why", it would be him thinking you were odd. Are you serious OP? You don't know why people do that here?

Clue: It is often a cultural requirement to remove shoes before entering certain buildings or rooms within a building.

Korea is rank with shoe-horns for that very reason. I've bought myself a shoe-horn just recently - 50 baht in IKEA, it's a good long-handled one. Anyone that wants to doff their shoes when they come into my place is welcome to use it.

SC

Very interesting, Sir.

But I would have said that Korea is rank with KimChi

SC

Very interesting, Sir.

But I would have said that Korea is rank with KimChi

I would say the Kim Chi was rank

• Like 1

Maybe you must have seen me....I walk around with flattened back.

Simple : I don't like shoes or linnen shoes with laces. The ones I like (ADDA) , they don't make anymore , or very expensive for what they are. I also don't like the white plastic/rubber.

I also never drive with my shoes on. So I bought these cheap schoolboy linnen shoes with laces , and use them as lofers, with the back flattened. That way I can get in and out of the car easily and without fastening the laces.

I don't cut them off because the flattened back is nicer than the sole and does not wear so fast.

As most Thai only wear flipflops , this is definately a step up.

• Like 1

Maybe you must have seen me....I walk around with flattened back.

Simple : I don't like shoes or linnen shoes with laces. The ones I like (ADDA) , they don't make anymore , or very expensive for what they are. I also don't like the white plastic/rubber.

I also never drive with my shoes on. So I bought these cheap schoolboy linnen shoes with laces , and use them as lofers, with the back flattened. That way I can get in and out of the car easily and without fastening the laces.

I don't cut them off because the flattened back is nicer than the sole and does not wear so fast.

As most Thai only wear flipflops , this is definately a step up.

1. Agreed, that the ADDA are expensive for what you get, and so are the more expensive sandals which can cost around 2000Baht for two small lumps of plastic that came from a plastic injection mold and then snapped together by slave labor.

2. I have lived in countries where it is obligatory to remove shoes before entering people's homes. And usually all shoes will be left outside next to a cabinet and a chair to sit down while offing your shoes, and storing them in the cabinet if you desire.

2a. But I personally would never walk around with flattened heels, because this is just too laughable to the newly arrived Farang. The farang who have been in Asia for a while do not laugh, or find it out of the ordinary for local people, but I have never seen this on a Farang. Maybe he changes his shoes to ones with undamaged heels when he boards the plane to return home.

3. And someone mentioned that there might be a "deeper" meaning here, and I think there may be:

I just wonder how twisted we must become, from where we once were to where we now are, in order to begin walking around in a business suit and flattened heels.

Is this not taking acculturation a step too far???

Have you ever noticed how gracefully and easy Thai people can get out of their shoes when entering a house? Most times it is because they never put their foot all the way in the shoe-- be it flip flops, Croks, etc. Look at you will see half the folks have about 2-3 cm of their heel hanging over the end of the shoe. You see many Thais with shoes that have heels backs and they step them down and use them like slip on shoes. Quite uncomfortable I am sure but its simply so they can get them off easy. The questions is why don't they just buy slip on shoes in the first place? But TIT....

after 7½ years Thaivisa i thought i have read all possible stupid questions. quite obviously i was wrong laugh.png

That sounds like a challenge to me.

By the way, why do they wear their jackets back to front when riding their motorcycles, and why does no-one produce zip-up-the-back jackets?

Incidentally, last time I asked, someone chipped up "This one's like that, but I wear it back to front." and after that, the discussion descended...

SC

Descended?? To where blink.png

I suggest you ask Bally the manufacturer of some very highend footwear.

I purchased a pair with the folding down back and they are super comfortable, with or without the back folded down. I would like to have a few more pairs, however the price was a bit expensive. I cant remember exactly how much I paid for mine, but it was somewhere in the Baht 15,000-20,000 price range and that was in the sale at Emporium

I guess that is puzzling but not worth laying awake pondering why . But what is annoying , is why do so many Thai's walk scraping their shoes along the ground . I just put it down to laziness or there are so many soi dogs everywhere it saves them having to clean the bottom of their shoes .

I guess that is puzzling but not worth laying awake pondering why . But what is annoying , is why do so many Thai's walk scraping their shoes along the ground . I just put it down to laziness or there are so many soi dogs everywhere it saves them having to clean the bottom of their shoes .

It's because their feet aren't properly into their shoes, and if they lifted their feet, their shoes would fall off

SC