Jomtien beach

Fabulousheart

Ok a few questions.

1)Are all of the sections the same price 60 b for wood and 100 b for lounge chair?

2) do they mostly all get the food from same place?

3) I noticed today for the first time a group of nice looking Russian men brought in bags of beer, water, food etc. is that permicable? Can we bring our own drinks etc and only pay for chair?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Ok a few questions. 1)Are all of the sections the same price 60 b for wood and 100 b for lounge chair?2) do they mostly all get the food from same place?3) I noticed today for the first time a group of nice looking Russian men brought in bags of beer, water, food etc. is that permicable? Can we bring our own drinks etc and only pay for chair?Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As per #3, yes it's permicable to bring ones own food and drinks to the beach chairs and consume them for free of (no corkage/beechage charge).

I asked the cashier on the wAy out about bringing in food and drink. She said cannot but every time Thai says something to Russians they yell at them. It seems silly to bring water, beer, etc that they already provide. This is there livelihood. The markup is only 5 or 10b above 7/11. It just seems disrespectful.

• Like 1

Quote " The markup is only 5 or 10b above 7/11".

And 7/11 markup only 5 or 10 baht more than the small local stores.

Therefore we foreigners are paying markup on markup.

The Russians have the right attitude on this one.

Keep the unnecessary high costs down.

Beach Thais will take advantage every way they can.

I used to go a few kms along the beach towards Sattahip for brekki or lunch.

The cost now is so high I refrain from that, as I'm sure many others do.

I believe they are cutting their own throats with lack of business acumen.

The pricing is "up to them" and the purchasing of their food is "up to us"

• Like 1

Yes there is a markup that is capitalism. They also are providing a service of delivering the items to our chairs. I thought that each business paid a fee to the city to rent the beach. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't think they have any legal right to stop you from bringing your own food and bev. They can act snarky though!

safe.jpg

I always bring my own food and drinks when I spent an afternoon relaxing in the beach chairs and I have never had any issues with any of the vendors for doing this. The main reason I do this is I don't trust the sanitary conditions under which any food or drinks I may order have been prepared or stored. I also don't trust their ice. However, some of vendors at the Dongton beach have menus from nearby restos and those would be ok to order from.

Have ordered pizza delivery to the beach as well with no problems.

And yes, the vendors pay an official fee to the city for their allotted spaces and that's why they can charge a set fee for the chairs.

• Like 2

Ok a few questions. 1)Are all of the sections the same price 60 b for wood and 100 b for lounge chair?2) do they mostly all get the food from same place?3) I noticed today for the first time a group of nice looking Russian men brought in bags of beer, water, food etc. is that permicable? Can we bring our own drinks etc and only pay for chair?Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

1) The deck chair pricing is supposedly regulated, it used to be 30 baht. Don't go very often and I always ask the price before sitting down, last time they wanted 40. I agreed and assumed the price might have gone up as the guy wasn't up for negotiating, and I wasn't in the mood to wander around to possibly save 10B. I don't know the correct pricing for lounge chairs.

2) They get their food from whatever restaurant is close to them.

3) Yes, you can bring your own drinks and food.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

1) The deck chair pricing is supposedly regulated, it used to be 30 baht. Don't go very often and I always ask the price before sitting down, last time they wanted 40. I agreed and assumed the price might have gone up as the guy wasn't up for negotiating, and I wasn't in the mood to wander around to possibly save 10B. I don't know the correct pricing for lounge chairs.

2) They get their food from whatever restaurant is close to them.

3) Yes, you can bring your own drinks and food.

Some time ago used to go to the so called beach in Pattaya, if you brought any drink's from them the chairs were free, and you didn't have to buy many just the odd few.

I asked the people at one beach concession if I was ok to consume the beers I happened to have in my bag, and was told there was no problem. But usually I buy from them if I fancy a beer as not that organised to buy in advance and also it is colder beer from them.

Then again at another concession I was told by a manicure/foot massage lady working there (they have to give 20 percent of earnings to boss of concession) that anyone just using a chair and not buying any drink, if a regular was regarded as a cheap charlie.

So bringing your own beers might upset some if you did sit there often. But I dont think they would actually say anything. Not the end of the world if they did.

If you worry about causing offence, ask I would say. I

Mind you, Thais bringing own food and drinks hugely common. They have big family picnics bringing their own food and booze.

So dont think they would be bothered about a falang doing it. They want you to keep going there.

• Like 1

Yes there is a markup that is capitalism. They also are providing a service of delivering the items to our chairs. I thought that each business paid a fee to the city to rent the beach. Does anyone know for sure? Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I know for sure that they are paying directly to the police and same goes also for the salespeople selling crap on tghe beach.... they are also forced to pay the police.

Glegolo

Good points thank you. The one that resonated the most with me was cleanliness of dishes. I saw them with two buckets of water too wash dishes. One dirty and one to rinse. It made me cringe and happy I drank from the bottle with no glass or ice. I am learning and appreciate the useful guidance.

As per #3, yes it's permicable to bring ones own food and drinks to the beach chairs and consume them for free of (no corkage/beechage charge).

I either buy wine at Foodland on the way or go across the road to the 7/11. No problem at all.

Incidentally, never had a problem with the jetski operators there. In fact the opposite, have always found them very helpful.

Yes there is a markup that is capitalism. They also are providing a service of delivering the items to our chairs. I thought that each business paid a fee to the city to rent the beach. Does anyone know for sure?Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Remember few years agi when City got all serious about number of chairs in each section, they vowed to limit number of chairs to 25. Nothing came of it.

I is tricky how the beach chair business operates, the boss of the section pays somebody, but to who?

Unless private property, all beaches are public. It is little bit like the guys starting charging for parking, in a public parking lot.

Bringing their own food and drinks started happening 4-5 years ago, when Russians came to town. I too thought it wrong they bring their own drinks, cutting into chair peoples profits, but now I think they have every right to do it, cos Jomtien and Pattaya. beaches are public.

The chair people own the chairs, and charge you for using their chairs. Of course they like to sell you drinks, and make profit. On food they can't make money, the dish costs you the same in that restaurant, where they beach chair boy brings it from.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes there is a markup that is capitalism. They also are providing a service of delivering the items to our chairs.

If I approach you tonight, and insist you pay me for walking on the sidewalk, is that capitalism?

They can offer anything at any mark up, but they have no right to forbid me buying from some place else.

They have Thai right, of course.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by valgehiir

I is tricky how the beach chair business operates, the boss of the section pays somebody, but to who?

To whom is completely irrelevant. One mafia is the same as another mafia. So let's move along, shall we?

Unless private property, all beaches are public. It is little bit like the guys starting charging for parking, in a public parking lot.

But the question is about the beach chairs, not the beach. The chairs aren't public and the space they occupy belongs to the vendors while they're there. A better analogy would be a motorcycle taxi stand on the public street. You can argue, with all the self-righteousness of a TV keyboard warrior, that you can park in their space because it's a public street--if you like. But after you park there once and then come back to find your tires deflated or slashed, you'll understand the reality of what belongs to whom; you won't do that again.

Bringing their own food and drinks started happening 4-5 years ago, when Russians came to town.

No, this has been going on for decades. Thais have always done so.

Personally I admire the Russians for not being pussies about it. They don't wilt and assume a fetal position if a vendor frowns and could be thinking "Cheap Charlies." They don't give a shit nor should they. Good on 'em: if a vendor knows you care, he'll simply take advantage of that; business is business.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Quote " The markup is only 5 or 10b above 7/11".

And 7/11 markup only 5 or 10 baht more than the small local stores.

Therefore we foreigners are paying markup on markup.

The Russians have the right attitude on this one.

Keep the unnecessary high costs down.

Beach Thais will take advantage every way they can.

I used to go a few kms along the beach towards Sattahip for brekki or lunch.

The cost now is so high I refrain from that, as I'm sure many others do.

The pricing is "up to them" and the purchasing of their food is "up to us"

"Beach Thais will take advantage every way they can."

The only reason tourists are wanted anywhere in the world is because they spend money and create employment.

"Take advantage" could describe any human activity engaged in to make a living. You pay inflated prices for popcorn at a cinema You pay inflated prices for anything sold in an airport anywhere in the world. You pay inflated prices for anything in a minibar in a hotel. You pay absurd fees every time you do anything with any bank even when it involves your money that you've lent the bank. In one case it's called capitalism and in another it's poor people taking advantage of those who want to hold onto every satang they can.

There are places set aside on the beaches for people who do not want to rent beach chairs. Certainly the Thai people running the beach concessions have a greater claim to ownership of the beaches than some penny-pinching tourist who wants everything for free. Whether you are Thai or a resident farang who lives here year 'round, the influx of tourists is not a joy that we anticipate just for the opportunity to rub elbows with you.Tourists are a pain in the arse, but tolerated because of the money they spend. If you want to be a cheap skate, do it somewhere else.

I love it when westerners who have engineered another near world economic collapse and whose governments have had to use irresponsible borrowing and money printing to prop up financial institutions (while their incompetent CEOs continue to steal millions) want to lecture people in Thailand about "business acumen."

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

They don't pay the police. All beaches in Thailand are owned by the Navy. Even if you own a beach-front bar or resaurant on any beach in Thailand the Navy can just plow it down whenever they want. That is in the contract for any Thai that rents, buys or leases beach-front.

That being said, you can sit anywhere you want and eat/drink anything you want anywhere on any beach. If you flop your arse down beside a beach chair they cannot legally ask you to move but they could cause trouble for you for being a dick. If you sit in someone elses property then yes they can charge you for that.

I never heard of 100 baht for 1 chair before now. Even on Loykrathong we spent 50 baht right at the end of Pattaya Klang.

I have not read all this thread ... so may have missed a post. But I have noticed only the posts that talk abput 60 or 50 baht for a chair. I have been going to the beach for years and it is always been 30 baht. (Well once in Jomtien I was told about 4 years ago it was 60 baht as 2 chairs was minimum ... they dont let them singularly... but allowed me to pay 30 as I had not known). As I could not remember the exact position of the concession, just rough position, I never went near that bit again. For a time I asked every vendor how much. It was always 30 so stopped asking. Still dont go the no single chair rent area though).

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have always paid 30 baht for the wood chair and, 100 baht for white lounge bed with pad. The wood chairs are usually grouped together in pairs. The chair next to me is where I put my bag. I am actually using two chairs but only charged for one. For those being charged 50 or 60 baht look at the chair arrangement, you are probably being charged a premium because you are in effect occupying more than one chair.

It's also disrespectful to try to force someone to purchase goods on a public beach. They are paying for the deckchair, not the space. One could simply bring a chair and consume your own food.

Why should you encourage the nonsense of a public beach being taken over by commercial interests?

these people pay rent to city hall to provide their services and have to make a living . they rent the space and are monitored by city hall on a regular basis .

I now bring food with me as I can not stand the food from the place they use. Plus it is twice the price and 1/2 the quality of most places.

So thank you!

All the ones in jomtien have told me white with cushion is 100b and when. Get two it is 200 b

Ok just when I thought I finally got it two Russian guys came in asked price for white lounge. He said I live here for 7 years first row white lounge is100b second 80 then 60 and back 30 b . I asked him where? Then he walked away. I then asked others sitting near me and they said 100b everywhere they know.

"There are places set aside on the beaches for people who do not want to rent beach chairs. Certainly the Thai people running the beach concessions have a greater claim to ownership of the beaches than some penny-pinching tourist who wants everything for free"

<deleted> (whatever that is meant to convey...). I have lived in Jomtien for about 8 years now. Those chairs are a blight and abomination, blocking and destroying the beauty of a beach. About a year ago the decision makers took almost all of the free concrete benches away, supposedly for "crime prevention", or so I was told by cops overseeing it. My belief is that it was to force people to use those crap chairs by the umbrella/chair mafia. Same goes for brutal removal of trees that provided a shaded walk along beach, and near Soi 6, for example: you can sit here, but we will take away the shade.

I am from Oregon. State constitution says beaches belong to the people. Period. ANY sort of building, blockage or infringing with commercial venture violating the rights of the people to a clean and natural beach are dealt with quickly and decisively. How about just half of the beach for those businesses? 90% of the time those chairs are 90% empty. I never use them. I don't want to support ugly. And I have plenty of money.