make copy of key card from condo

LanaPattaya

" I lost my electronic key car from my condo. to buy duplicate in condo is expensive ((
who knows adress of company to make copy of key card in Pattaya or Jomtien pls give me."

I suppose you talking about the card that allows access through the front door of the building and/or to your floor in the elevator?

If so you can buy a suitable RFID device in many places (places that sell electronic locks and alarms would be good starting points). But it will still need programming by the building management if you want it to work, for which they will probably charge you a large fee equivalent to buying the card from them in the first place. So probably simplest just to buy it from them.

• Like 2

I am assuming this is a card for a common door, by not reporting the loss of your card and having it canceled you are compromising the security of your condominium.

For some systems it is possible to clone cards but in most instances it requires knowledge of integral codes and encoding encryption, this is information that no system manufacturer will release to anybody.

Time to bite the bullet and buy a replacement card.

• Like 2

I`ve got to ask how much you regard as " expensive" ?

Where I stay if you lose the card I think it is either 200 or 300 baht, don`t think that is bad, in fact think it is fair, maybe I`m wrong or you`re being quoted way higher.

Should be higher really.

Just curious really.

How much for replacement ?

I`ve got to ask how much you regard as " expensive" ?

Where I stay if you lose the card I think it is either 200 or 300 baht, don`t think that is bad, in fact think it is fair, maybe I`m wrong or you`re being quoted way higher.

Should be higher really.

Just curious really.

How much for replacement ?

I was wondering that too, going on prices here in the UK, (assuming we are talking RFID, cards that work in close proximity to the reader), popular cards like "Mifare" which now accounts for 85% of the RFID market cost less than 50P (25B) if bought in large quantities.

Most card come with an UID (Uneque ID number) during manufacture including Mifare which is embedded into the card and can not be changed, often programming of the card needs to be done from a computer hooked up to access control so that the new card is initiated into the system and more information is added to the card for security.

Some systems have pre-programmed cards/fobs ready to run (but the still need to be initiated into the control system), even when purchased in small quantities they should not cost more than £7.00 (350B) each.

A condominium is run buy appointees of the co-owners so should only be charging to cover costs, not making a big profit.

I don't see how you could get a replacement (copy) made if you don't have the original to copy from!

I was wondering that as well, although I suppose he could borrow a card from a neighbor.

But our building sometimes re-encodes the cards at a point when so many have been lost or been in the hands of short-term renters, etc. Maybe the building would refuse to update a card that they obviously didn't issue so he'd be back at square one.

Anyway any place that would be willing & able to duplicate a card will probably charge as much or more than his condo. I know it's never the money here at TV and always the principle, but it seems some people's principles kick in for very small amounts of money.

• Thanks 1

You will be charged a replacement fee for the loss of your card. It simple as that . Did you need TV to tell you that. A beer costs 60 baht , so I certainly don't consider anything up to 500 baht for a replacement as expensive .

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you know any ATM skimmers, I'm sure they'd oblige cheesy.gif

Yes, if it is a magnetic swipe card, but they would need one to copy from.

For the Hotels we used 3 different media, Magnetic swipe cards, Smart cards (chipped with contacts as in Chip&Pin), and RFID Contact-less/proximity. there were some access systems that worked on bar codes as well.

The magnetic swipe cards were never recommended because they could easily be cloned and there was no electronics for encryption, the only reason they were used was they were dirt cheap.

I have apartments and I get my new cards from the safe guy (Locksmith) on Threppasit road ,He copies the old one for 100 baht! Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Can you say where exactly on Thepprasit Road the locksmith is located.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

I have apartments and I get my new cards from the safe guy (Locksmith) on Threppasit road ,He copies the old one for 100 baht!Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you able to pinpoint the location? Thepprasit is pretty long from one end to the other.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Thumbs Up 1

There are 'services' advertised around various thai websites that offer access cards to various condos, seemingly installed or compromised by them.... you needn't even send the original card in, they have a list of buildings to choose from and they mail the card to you no questions asked.

the legality of such service is dubious

the access control system's supposed to have a 'master key' and reading one valid card to make another shouldn't work, but older systems have been compromised and indeed can have duplicate keys made from having a known good card to read off from...

but by giving the card to these people to get cheaper copies, that means they will now have your condo in their list ready to sell to any random guy

• Sad 1

Simple RFID systems work by registering the ID of a keycard in the lock. This may be a standalone lock or a centralised system. Any card with a registered ID number will open the door.

The problem is that these keycard IDs dont change and can be read and quite easily copied onto suitable chips. So as long as you have one registered keycard you can clone it indefinitely.

More sophisticated systems use better chips with hidden codes and handshaking that cant be easily copied, but of course these cost more.

My building, keeps meticulous records of the cards and any replacements(250 baht). If the OP reports the card lost, security will deactivate the old card and issue a new one. About every 18 months or two years all cards are deactivated and reprogrammed by the front office.

• Like 2

My building, keeps meticulous records of the cards and any replacements(250 baht). If the OP reports the card lost, security will deactivate the old card and issue a new one. About every 18 months or two years all cards are deactivated and reprogrammed by the front office.

Yes, this may work if you have an advanced type of system but for the basic systems it's not so easy.

Certainly reporting a card as lost should result in the card and its clones being removed from the system, but that assumes two things:

1) management actually keep proper records and know how to use them (they dont in my building)

and

2) the card is reported as lost. If people are making/selling clones of a card they have obtained legitimately they would be silly to report it as lost.

As for de-registering all the cards, if your system is basic and relies solely on card IDs being registered then the baddies need only re-register their original legitimate card for all the clones of it to also be re-registered.

With simple systems, de-registering and re-registering only works for cards that have been passed on to people who should not have them as they will be unable to prove that they are entitled to have a working card.

Just try explaining the above to a Thai condo management company. Been there, done that. facepalm.gif

As for the OP, I think he is trying to obtain a cheap replacement rather than pay the price demanded by his condo management. In our building we would also only sell him a new card at the full rate.

I don't buy the story of OP at all. A key card should be no more than 300 baht. Don't tell me the office asked for 3000 ?

If you can't afford it it's time to leave Thailand.

Edited by balo