Bangkok Shutdown: Justice minister warns people against joining protest

webfact

BANGKOK SHUTDOWN
Justice minister warns people against joining protest

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Justice Minister Chaikasem Nitisiri Monday warned Thais about joining the Bangkok Shutdown protest on Monday, saying it is illegal and dangerous.

Chaikasem said Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary-general of the People's Democratic Reform Committee, was facing a sedition charge, which carried the maximum penalty of death.

If people therefore chose to support Suthep by joining the Bangkok Shutdown protest, they would also be regarded as committing a wrongdoing, Chaikasem said.

He cautioned that protesters could also be injured in clashes with PDRC's opponents.

The minister said by joining the simultaneous massive rallies on Monday, Thais would violate Articles 116 and 215 of the Criminal Code for unlawfully assembling to cause turmoil in the capital.

"Those who already know but still join the protest will be deemed as engineering or supporting sedition," Chaikasem said on TV.

"The government would like to tell the people to use their judgement and be aware that if they join in the Bangkok Shutdown as announced by Suthep and other leaders, they will violate the law and cause damage to the country.

"Besides there is a risk that they will be hurt as there might be clashes with those who have different opinions and groups of people with malicious intent."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-06

• Like 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In other words all protesters could face the death penalty. Even with the low quality-standard of the government this guy is an embarrassement.

Apparently you can't read.

Suthep faces a sedition charge. Protesters may face charges of aiding someone with that charge.

For example, if someone sees you on the street giving 1000 Baht to Suthep, then that is a crime.

Get it? Protesters don't face the death penalty. Please learn how to read.

Huh, if you help someone with sedition surely the same charge would apply and penalties. For example I drove the get away car but please dont charge me with robbing the bank, i dont think so.

In other words all protesters could face the death penalty. Even with the low quality-standard of the government this guy is an embarrassement.

Apparently you can't read.

Suthep faces a sedition charge. Protesters may face charges of aiding someone with that charge.

For example, if someone sees you on the street giving 1000 Baht to Suthep, then that is a crime.

Get it? Protesters don't face the death penalty. Please learn how to read.

Right. And in reality no one will be charged and no one will take his remarks seriously anyway. I'm not sure CRES warnings that red shirts faced two years in jail for protesting whilst the emergency decree was imposed had much effect in 2010. His remarks were a bit silly because legally I'm not sure aiding Suthep in sedition would add up to much. Sounds pretty difficult to prove, unless, like you say, you can be proven to be funding him.

I was actually expecting a lot more stuff like this than there has been.

• Like 1

"Chaikasem said Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary-general of the People's Democratic Reform Committee, was facing a sedition charge, which carried the maximum penalty of death.

If people therefore chose to support Suthep by joining the Bangkok Shutdown protest, they would also be regarded as committing a wrongdoing, Chaikasem said."

More govt statements designed to intimidate and create a sense of fear amongst protestors, been a lot this weekend.

• Like 2

"which carried the maximum penalty of death."

I thought it can't get more ridiculous.....but Mr. Chaikasemt made it possible.

Dead penalty for opposing the Shinawatra clan sounds very North Korea to me....

At the moment Thailand can be compared to a 'bowl of spaghetti' all mixed up and very sticky. Can nobody offer a solution that everybody can accept?

As an honest Justice minister he condones the evil corrupt to the hilt government, wearing his blinkers

now he is warning the protesters about their right to do. What a corrupt man. If he is the justice Minister there is no hope if there was an election and PTP wins no hope at all for the next 4 years. The country dies.

This way of protesting there is a chance of survival.

• Like 1

Justice minister warns people against joining protest.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the warning!

We will still be there.

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

passifier.gif

We? Are you Thai, out of my curiosity...

If not, I strongly suggest you to not join the protests. And with a little of common sense, you would agree with me.

• Like 1

Surely they don't really know the word diplomacy, and each of their press conferences shows it clearly. Making them just ridiculous.

But please let's not speak about Gestapo or death penalty. They are not able to keep someone who violated laws in jail, how do you think they are harmful? laugh.png

• Like 1

Threats and intimidation, right out of the red shirt manual. What a sad lot these people are, of course they are the "B" team. After the election perhaps we'll see some of the "A" team returning from suspension for not conducting themselves in a democratic fashion. Lie, cheat, threaten, disrupt other political parties rallies by throwing objects and drowning out their voices with large sound trucks, that is what passes for democracy here. You people who say you support this should know better, none of this crap would be tolerated in a true democracy.

Well said!

I'm so tired of looking at all these "possible" charges against Suthep...in fact there is supposedly a current warrant out for his arrerst and nobody has done anything about it...just a bunch of worthless garbage spilling out of peoples mouths

• Like 1

This guy, i hope you mean Suthep, yes, I agree, he is an embarrassment .

• Like 2

The Justice Minister just needs to Shut up , people will make up their own minds if they want to protest, all this rubbish of sedition and such smacks of panic , just shut up, let the people dictate there own terms , err that makes a nice change from you mob of scammers, diddling the tillbah.gif .

There does indeed appear to be a coordinated outpouring of panicky statements over the past few days :-

- the military are coming to town, with their tanks & artillery

- the poor won't be able to get treatments or medicines

- you'll all be arrested, for blowing a whistle

- the economy will be crashed, by the ongoing effects of the protests

- the DSI will freeze your assets

- you'll be attacked by 'third hand' parties (is that the RTP or the UDD ?)

- the rest of the World is all on the government's side

Perhaps PTP's true Big Boss is seriously worried about where these protests are now leading ? whistling.gif

Standby next for predictions, preferably from a respected senior religious figure, about Plagues of Locusts, Alien-invasions, Earthquakes & the End of the World ? rolleyes.gif

At least four of your panicky statements are right.

The economy is in a down spiral so yes it crashed.

The rest of the world (almost all foreign governments) are on the government side.

The military are coming to town with their tanks (for children's day)

Everybody is seriously worried about where the protest are now leading.

No statements, but fact's.

So, think before you write any comment, but that seems to be far to difficult for the Suthep lovers....

• Like 2