International Calls with a voip modem

chopper83150

Hi all, and Happy New Year

I have a voip modem and telephone handset that I wish to use to make international calls.

Ideally I would purchase credit with a supplier and just top up when needed rather than pay a monthly subscription via my credit card

It would also be nice if the provider could allocate me a telephone number for incomiing calls.

I definately dont want to use a mic and headset similar to what is available with skyke etc. I want to use my cordless telephone connected to my PC via my VOIP Modem.

My parents overseas are elderly and do not have access to a pc and I really hate the headset scenario.

Can anyone recommend a provider who can meet my needs please?

Regards,

Chopper

skype works as good as any of them. Use can buy an incoming number, so people can call you. You can buy minutes, not only subscription. The android app works good, which you can either use with your wifi or 3G when you're out of the house, and you get video as another option with skype to skype. i actually bought a skype phone for the house, which is a dual landline/skype phone. Pretty seamless

I use Voip Discount. Some calls are free, some you pay a nominal sum for. I put €10 credit on which gives us 180 free days to those destinations that are free. My wife calls from here (Greece) to her mum in Ubon every week, and she gets free calls to either land line or her mum's mobile. No time limit - sometimes she's on for hours. For me to call a mobile in UK costs (I think) €0.18 per minute.

Alternatively, if your parents own a smart phone you can use Viber, which is a free phone to phone app.

Forgot to mention that with Voip Discount, although you have to make the call via your computer, if you don't like headsets you can rout the call through either your mobile or your land line, so you have a phone to phone situation. That's what my wife does.

"I have a voip modem"

It would be helpful if you could specify what this actually is.

Assuming that it is not a modem at all but a VOIP ATA adapter like these http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=96 then all you need to do is get an account with any SIP provider you fancy. There are many and most will provide a DID (incoming number) either for free or for a small charge.

Skype is NOT compatible with the above devices.

VoipDiscount is a normal SIP provider and you do NOT need to use a headset with their service. Your VOIP adapter (assuming it is an adapter as described above) will work just fine with VoipDiscount.

You can also use standard VOIP/SIP phones with that service and any other SIP provider.

I use Voip Discount. Some calls are free, some you pay a nominal sum for. I put €10 credit on which gives us 180 free days to those destinations that are free. My wife calls from here (Greece) to her mum in Ubon every week, and she gets free calls to either land line or her mum's mobile. No time limit - sometimes she's on for hours. For me to call a mobile in UK costs (I think) €0.18 per minute.

Alternatively, if your parents own a smart phone you can use Viber, which is a free phone to phone app.

I have been using voip discount from the UK to Thailand and vice versa for years.

There is an app that you can download on to your android phone (this is what i use/don;t know about apple)

Its brilliant and cheap...I use my mobile but go through the app, no handsets etc...

From a laptop its easy too as most have built in mics and speakers you just talk out loud and listen too no headsets etc...i am sure alot of people do not know this..

Hey chopper, where are you? Different options would be available to you in different countries, where is our Mom?

Do you want to get your VOIP for your self, or for your Mother? or for both

Different VOIP providers have different adapters, Basically you connect your Voip adapter to your internet modem via a LAN cable. on the VOIP adapter there is a cable jack that you hook up your telephone to and you are good to go assuming you have a fast enough internet connection.

Some VOIP providers also allow you to use their service on your smart phone (I Phone, Android )with out the use of an adapter

I Have Vonage here in the US, I use it on my Iphone and on a regular telephone at home, It costs about $30 a month and we have unlimited calling to most places in the world.

It is great for me because I live in the US most of the time, but I have family in Thailand, Greece, and Italy ,I talk to them every week, and my wife talks to her family in thailand every day some times for hours.

Some countries you get unlimited calls to land lines, but there is a small charge if you call a cell phone, Lucky for as Thailand is unlimited for both land lines and Cell phones.

I have not Used the system in Thailand yet, but I am told by Vonage that all we need to do is take our adapter to Thailand,connect it to a modem with a fast internet connection,

and we are good to go, I will try it next time we go there.

Hey chopper, where are you? Different options would be available to you in different countries, where is our Mom?

Do you want to get your VOIP for your self, or for your Mother? or for both

Different VOIP providers have different adapters, Basically you connect your Voip adapter to your internet modem via a LAN cable. on the VOIP adapter there is a cable jack that you hook up your telephone to and you are good to go assuming you have a fast enough internet connection.

Some VOIP providers also allow you to use their service on your smart phone (I Phone, Android )with out the use of an adapter

I Have Vonage here in the US, I use it on my Iphone and on a regular telephone at home, It costs about $30 a month and we have unlimited calling to most places in the world.

It is great for me because I live in the US most of the time, but I have family in Thailand, Greece, and Italy ,I talk to them every week, and my wife talks to her family in thailand every day some times for hours.

Some countries you get unlimited calls to land lines, but there is a small charge if you call a cell phone, Lucky for as Thailand is unlimited for both land lines and Cell phones.

I have not Used the system in Thailand yet, but I am told by Vonage that all we need to do is take our adapter to Thailand,connect it to a modem with a fast internet connection,

and we are good to go, I will try it next time we go there.

Hi and thanks to all for your replies,

Im living in Krabi,Thailand and my family are in Australia,they have no mobile phone, pc or internet and will not get any of the above.

My VOIP adapter is a netcom , I really only need to find the right provider here in LOS