Tourist Visa Exemption Stamp VS Double Entry Visa

I am sure this question will have been asked countless times but I wanted to give details of the circumstances in hope that I get the most accurate answer.

I have a friend who is flying from the UK to Bangkok tomorrow on a British passport, I spoke to her earlier and she said she planned to stay for about 2.5 months but does not have a Visa and was under the impression that she could just get the exempt stamp at the airport. She plans to travel to Laos and Cambodia during her stay. My advice was that it will at best be a headache if you don't have a multi-entry visa and at worst a very expensive nightmare. She was under the impression that she can get the 30 days stamp, leave the country, re-enter, leave again and then re-enter.

Any advice on this much appreciated.

Edited by arnold40844

Yes, she can make a 30 day visa exempt entry, and when she returns from Laos or Cambodia, she will also get 30 day visa exempt entries. Previously, it was only 15 days at the land crossings, but that has changed.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 1

I am sure she will enjoy all those "visa" runs in the crazy vans !

Better she gets a tourist visa before leaving the UK a single entry TV would provide up to 90 days in country.

Well, he said she was coming tomorrow, so I would say it may be a little late to get a visa. Also he said she already had plans to travel to Laos and Cambodia, those trips should cover her stay. Question may be, will she be allowed to board the flight if she doesn't have proof of onward travel within 30 days.

• Like 1

I am sure she will enjoy all those "visa" runs in the crazy vans !

Better she gets a tourist visa before leaving the UK a single entry TV would provide up to 90 days in country.

Well, he said she was coming tomorrow, so I would say it may be a little late to get a visa. Also he said she already had plans to travel to Laos and Cambodia, those trips should cover her stay. Question may be, will she be allowed to board the flight if she doesn't have proof of onward travel within 30 days.

She could be denied bordering without prof of an out bound ticket within 30 days of arrival.

• Like 2

As said in the above post, if she does not have a ticket exiting Thailand during the first 30 days of her stay, the airline might not let her board her flight. She might have to purchase a cheap onward ticket at the airport before they let her on the aircraft, say Hat Yai to KL. The entrance requirements for a "visa exempt" entry are that she have an onward ticket, immigration in Bangkok doesn't usually check, they rely on the airline and if for some reson she is not allowed to enter Thailand the airline is fined and must fly her back to her home country.

As of 1 Novmber 2013 she will get 30 days every time she enters Thailand either by air or land. Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks for all your comments. its pretty much as i thought.

The advice people were giving her in the UK was "don't worry about it, it'll be fine" and "I went to Thailand 5 years ago....". I stressed the point about a visa and i'm pretty sure she got a double entry tourist this morning in the UK.

Better safe than sorry, especially given the tense situation in the Kingdom.