moving back to the states

Tanis

My wife's visa to America was denied because I lost my "domicile" because I have resided in Thailand for several years. One common method employed to demonstrate intent to return is opening a bank account in America. What are some of the cheapest and safest ways to transfer money from Thailand to America? I heard that there was an Bank of America in Bangkok. Could I not open an account there? Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations

Tanis

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently opened a high yield (OK .85% is relatively high interest in the USA :) ) at American Express. I was able to do it online. I funded that account from other US base banks; however, Bangkok Bank has relatively low fees to transfer money from the US to Thailand, so perhaps the opposite is true as well.

Good luck to you!

I recently opened a high yield (OK .85% is relatively high interest in the USA smile.png ) at American Express. I was able to do it online. I funded that account from other US base banks; however, Bangkok Bank has relatively low fees to transfer money from the US to Thailand, so perhaps the opposite is true as well.

Good luck to you!

I am more concerned about avoiding exorbitant international transfer fees than yields,

Are you a US citizen? Is your marriage proven bona fides and long-term?

My wife got multiple 10-year tourist visas without any issues, and has always got a six-month stamp at the border, even though I haven't spent more than a few days at a time back there over fifteen years.

Opening an account with an overseas subsidiary of an American bank is not at all the same as doing so in the States, you need to work with a local branch stateside.

And they will require a SSN and proof of a local (to there) address.

To establish residence there I'd suggest a few-week trip, get your voter registration card, process a postal service change of address, set up a rental lease and utility accounts in your name, get a local drivers' license and yes open a couple of bank accounts.

Once all that is set up, you can arrange for a long-term mailbox rental place to forward the bills to you back in Thailand and keep everything maintained from there.

Edited by wym

Once you open an account in the USA Bank of America seems to be one of the quickest and least costly I have found. I think I pay 15.00 US dollars regardless of the amount. The big hit is on the conversion from baht to dollar which is also known as currencies trading and I do not have a Midas touch for picking the right time for this. I have had the baht get strong minutes after I had converted and before I had transferred.:(

As addendum to Post #7 above, when you would give your address to Social Security Administration (SSA), the next question they will ask is:

Do you live at this address?

Kinda hard to say 'Yes' when your address is 123 Main Street, Private Mail Box (PMB) 101, Anytown, South Dakota

Edited by JLCrab

I dont understand. Because you dont live there they think that you have no reason to return here?

My girlfriend has applied for a tourist visa 4 times in the last 5 years. She was denied once for a simliiar reason, insufficent evidence she would return to BKK. Establishing more roots over there wouldnt have helped, we just reapplied with more documenation that we really live here and would return. Show assets in her name and yours here in Thailand, write a good cover letter explaining why you want to visit, and pray she is interviewed by one of the guys and not one of the girls. In our case, she was denied the single time she was interviewed by a female.

I really think the women at the embassey dispise Thai women. Maybe their men have strayed from them in the past or they just dont like that they get no attention in Thailand. Either way, the guys at the embassey seem to approve Thai women more.

Edited by yourauntbob

As addendum to Post #7 above, when you would give your address to Social Security Administration (SSA), the next question they will ask is:

Kinda hard to say 'Yes' when your address is 123 Main Street, Private Mail Box (PMB) 101, Anytown, South Dakota

Obviously one needs to use a maildrop that doesn't enforce compliance with the PMB label requirement, but lets you mask the number as a room #.

And BTW the SSA doesn't accept direct COAs, they get notified by the IRS,and when I just did this at my local office they accepted my drop's address without question, as did the DMV and all other bureaucracies.

For over thirty years now I've never given my actual residence address anywhere it would end up in a computer, nor has my name been associated with any records related to where I live. Only people I want to INVITE to my home know where I live.

Side benefit, never having to change my address having moved a dozen times.

Obviously one needs to use a maildrop that doesn't enforce compliance with the PMB label requirement, but lets you mask the number as a room #.

And BTW the SSA doesn't accept direct COAs, they get notified by the IRS,and when I just did this at my local office they accepted my drop's address without question, as did the DMV and all other bureaucracies.

For over thirty years now I've never given my actual residence address anywhere it would end up in a computer, nor has my name been associated with any records related to where I live. Only people I want to INVITE to my home know where I live.

Side benefit, never having to change my address having moved a dozen times.

Exactly. When you have an address with a mail forwarder, you never have to give notice of change of address to anyone but the mail forwarder. Handy.

Your address doesn't look like that. It looks only like 123 Main Street, Anytown, South Dakota. That's what I meant when I said to not use a mail box forwarder, but rather someone who gives you a street address only, and then they know your box number, and how to handle your mail.

Even better is the one in Rapid City which also owns an RV Park on site so that your address looks like "ABC RV Park, 123 Main Street, Anytown, South Dakota. (easy to find with google under mail forwarding, Rapid City.)

Edited by NeverSure

Fine. You guys do it your way -- I'll do it mine. When SSA asked last year do I live at the address I supplied I answered No; I then gave them my address in Thailand. No problems. Deposit direct to US bank. Mail to my PO box in Thailand.

• Like 1

I used voting records to prove my domicile when we got my wife's visa. Of course, you have to vote in most elections. Voting records can be had through your local clerks office and are free or cheap to get. Bank accounts work as well, but voting is much cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by caykay

All physical addresses that just box or forward are listed as such so creditors and govt know you don't live there. Pick a relative or friend and ask them if you can use their address for papers. They can honestly say you live there when you are home.

Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Rather than blurring the lines over plastic surgery I will respond here: I use a mail service address for most financial transactions. However,when the Social Security Administration specifically asked "Do you live at this address", I answered No. I did not think it was worth the risk supplying false information to a federal official and possibly jeopardizing future benefits at a minimum.

So in this case someone was in fact looking.

When we filed for SS benefits for Hubby by calling Manila from our home in CM, we asked the nice man at the SSA office in Manila if we could list our mail forwarding service address in Miami, FL as our residence address for the SSA. He said no, we have to tell them where Hubby actually lives, i.e. our Chiang Mai address. If he wanted to use a Miami, FL address, he had to apply in Florida. Frankly, the mail delivery is more reliable to our Miami mail forwarding service and sure enough, one year that "proof of life" form got lost and Hubby's benefits stopped because he never filled out and returned the form he didn't receive at our Chiang Mai condo. The payment was restarted within six weeks, but it was an inconvenience to contact SSA Manila to learn why the benefit deposit had stopped.

Interestingly, while SSA insists on recording Hubby's address as being his physical address in Chiang Mai, they have no problem with direct depositing the check into a U.S. bank account. Go figure! I prefer that to direct deposit to a Bangkok Bank account because that U.S. account is a joint account and I can use e-banking to transfer the funds into our joint Bangkok Bank account. No need for Hubby to go to the bank and do it himself.

My wife got multiple 10-year tourist visas without any issues, and has always got a six-month stamp at the border, even though I haven't spent more than a few days at a time back there over fifteen years.

Opening an account with an overseas subsidiary of an American bank is not at all the same as doing so in the States, you need to work with a local branch stateside.

To establish residence there I'd suggest a few-week trip, get your voter registration card, process a postal service change of address, set up a rental lease and utility accounts in your name, get a local drivers' license and yes open a couple of bank accounts.

Once all that is set up, you can arrange for a long-term mailbox rental place to forward the bills to you back in Thailand and keep everything maintained from there.

South Dakota is the only state in the US that actually encourages non-residents to establish residency. It is also one of just 7 states that doesn't have a state income tax. Unlike most states, it doesn't require you to reside in the state for a certain number of days per year.

DON'T get a mailbox with forwarding. A mailbox isn't considered an address. Use a mail forwarder which gives you a physical street address, and then puts your mail in your mail box to be forwarded or thrown out per your instructions. There is one is in Rapid City which also has an RV park on site. That becomes your address.

You do have to visit once and they will help you get your driver's license including establishing a valid address for that. Then if you wish to continue you have to visit again every 4 years to renew your driver's license. Or go with a state ID card instead of a driver's license.

SD makes a ton of money from "snowbirds" who go to places like Florida for the Winter and then go North in the Summer. Some people live full time in the RV. Others of course are expats. RVers typically have money and they buy vehicle insurance, license and title, get repairs done, pay park rental fees, buy things and basically use SD as a home base.

You can complete the whole process in just two or three days, including opening a bank account with your new address.

Now have any pension money deposited there, and use that address if you need to file federal income tax returns. It is fully your address, not Thailand. Of course you can also have an address in Thailand for Thai purposes, but as far as the US knows or cares, you live in SD.

I'm curious....why are there 7 states in America where you don't pay income tax? Is it to encourage people to move there?

I'm curious....why are there 7 states in America where you don't pay income tax? Is it to encourage people to move there?

> It is also one of just 7 states that doesn't have a state income tax.

Whether a state decides to have a state income tax - on top of the federal one all US citizens must pay - is up to the voters of that state.

Same with sales taxes etc, which in some cases are added to by a given city on top of the state one.

The populations of some states are just anti-tax in general and do their best to keep their level of government as small as possible.

Schools are often largely funded from local real estate taxes, which is why there is so much variation from one town or county to the next.

Yes. We have nearly completed the process for my wife to obtain her IR-1 visa. The consular in BKK informed my wife that they could not grant her the visa because I have lived in Thailand for so long and I had lost what they termed as "domicile". The consular wanted proof that I was indeed moving back to America. This is what I have assembled so far:

1: contract with a landlord

2: evidence that I have been looking for employment in America (kinda hard to do so while you are half way around the world)

3: renewing my licensure in my field of study

4: letter from my father's doctor explaining his medical condition.

5: my voter registration card (i have voted the past 6 years while in Thailand

6: verification that I am up to date with my IRS taxes

7: verification that I am up to date with my student loans

8: opening a bank account.

Yeah, i know it would be easier for me to go on ahead without my wife to establish residency but I am loath to go down that route. I would strongly prefer that my wife and I go to America together. The information that you provided about opening an account with BOA was extremely helpful. Thank you. Kindly let me know if can think of anything else i should submit to the consular to prove that I have every intention of returning to America.

Tanis

I used voting records to prove my domicile when we got my wife's visa. Of course, you have to vote in most elections. Voting records can be had through your local clerks office and are free or cheap to get. Bank accounts work as well, but voting is much cheaper! Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

we had those records the first time around and the american chap who interviewed my wife denied her visa.

edit:

I had hoped that I could waltz into the BOA in BKK and open up a bank account there. As wym pointed out that apparently would not suit the purposes that I am seeking. So I am left with opening up a bank account online. What would be the best way to fund that account from Thailand? Western union is kinda out of the question.

Tanis

Edited by Tanis

Regular international bank transfer - SWIFT codes.

The way I did it was convince them I was NOT going to return, just applied for a tourist visa for my wife for a short visit.

She got a 10-year visitor's visa, good for six months at a time (in theory subject to the whim of HS at the border but no problem so far)

While we're visiting back home, we change our mind and decide to stay.

Initiate the green card process, her status changes so she doesn't need to leave while it's in process.

Problem is if you've already notified them of your intention to stay, you'd be lying to apply for a tourist visa, so might be too late for you, just thought I'd post for googling posterity.

The way I did it was convince them I was NOT going to return, just applied for a tourist visa for my wife for a short visit.

She got a 10-year visitor's visa, good for six months at a time (in theory subject to the whim of HS at the border but no problem so far)

Initiate the green card process, her status changes so she doesn't need to leave while it's in process.

Problem is if you've already notified them of your intention to stay, you'd be lying to apply for a tourist visa, so might be too late for you, just thought I'd post for googling posterity.

What bank from Thailand did you use to initiate the transfer and what were the fees like? The IR-1 Visa (Immediate relative) will grant my wife green card status as soon as she arrives to America and i think she can apply for full citizenship within five years.

What bank from Thailand did you use to initiate the transfer and what were the fees like? The IR-1 Visa (Immediate relative) will grant my wife green card status as soon as she arrives to America and i think she can apply for full citizenship within five years.

Your wife will be entitled to apply for US citizenship three years after she has obtained a green card, provided that she has continually resided in the US during that time. Also, by establishing domicile you may make yourself liable for state income tax in that state depending on the state tax domicile regulations. Some states, like CA, would come after you for taxes even though you are physically in Thailand.

South Dakota is the only state in the US that actually encourages non-residents to establish residency. It is also one of just 7 states that doesn't have a state income tax. Unlike most states, it doesn't require you to reside in the state for a certain number of days per year.

DON'T get a mailbox with forwarding. A mailbox isn't considered an address. Use a mail forwarder which gives you a physical street address, and then puts your mail in your mail box to be forwarded or thrown out per your instructions. There is one is in Rapid City which also has an RV park on site. That becomes your address.

You do have to visit once and they will help you get your driver's license including establishing a valid address for that. Then if you wish to continue you have to visit again every 4 years to renew your driver's license. Or go with a state ID card instead of a driver's license.

SD makes a ton of money from "snowbirds" who go to places like Florida for the Winter and then go North in the Summer. Some people live full time in the RV. Others of course are expats. RVers typically have money and they buy vehicle insurance, license and title, get repairs done, pay park rental fees, buy things and basically use SD as a home base.

You can complete the whole process in just two or three days, including opening a bank account with your new address.

Now have any pension money deposited there, and use that address if you need to file federal income tax returns. It is fully your address, not Thailand. Of course you can also have an address in Thailand for Thai purposes, but as far as the US knows or cares, you live in SD.

A similar setup can be done in Texas. There is a large mail forwarding service in Livingston that caters to RV'ers (google it) that will do mail forwarding and give you a Texas physical address. The process is the same as mentioned above. I've had all my US mail sent there and all my US bank accounts are tied to that address only. It is also my voting address and driver license address. I was able to renew my driver license online last time, but next time I will have to go in. The organization has survived legal challenges regarding residents who don't spend much if any time there. Plus the no income tax law is in the Texas constitution, thus an amendment to the constitution would be required to start taxing people. I set everything up in one busy day, registering to vote, getting a driver license, opening a bank account. That was over then years ago and no problems since.

Edited by mesquite

• 4 weeks later...

A similar setup can be done in Texas. There is a large mail forwarding service in Livingston that caters to RV'ers (google it) that will do mail forwarding and give you a Texas physical address. The process is the same as mentioned above. I've had all my US mail sent there and all my US bank accounts are tied to that address only. It is also my voting address and driver license address. I was able to renew my driver license online last time, but next time I will have to go in. The organization has survived legal challenges regarding residents who don't spend much if any time there. Plus the no income tax law is in the Texas constitution, thus an amendment to the constitution would be required to start taxing people. I set everything up in one busy day, registering to vote, getting a driver license, opening a bank account. That was over then years ago and no problems since.

That is useful to know! I've maintained a Tennessee residence whilst here in Thailand and have voted in both local and federal elections. is it possible to set something like that up once I return?

Anyway, opening a bank account with BOA was a breeze. currently waiting for the confirmation letter to arrive here so that I can transfer money from Thailand to america.

Tanis

I need to prove intent that I am returning to america so the consular will grant my wife her IR-1 visa and I thought opening up an account with BOA BKK would be easier than opening up an account in america. I was wrong.