We need to rethink sex education: Thai editorial

webfact

I seem to recall an article about sex ed test they gave students here. Something like "You feel the urge to have sex. What should you do?" and the correct answer (multiple choice) was "Go play some basketball". Not kidding.

A major issue with education and mind set is that so many can not think more than 20 minutes into the future. They don't think "What will I do if I get pregnant?", etc. I taught at High School with teen clinic. In a basket by the door were lots of condoms, no questions asked and even encouraged. "Better to have and not need than need and not have".

That wasn't even sex education, that was the ONET exams that students must take in their final year of school to show competence for graduation. Even more shocking

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by caykay

Thais want everything to be fun, or sanook, including education.

How to make sex education fun?

An ex girlfriend of mine, while in college was required to teach sex education to teen age girls as part of her curriculum.

To make it "fun" she passed out condoms and bananas to each girl in class.

She then showed them how to put a condom on using nothing but their mouth.

The girls had a lot of fun practicing with their bananas.

Some of the girls later reported to her that their boyfriends who previously refused to use a condom, let them try this method and liked it!

The Thai government is handing out condoms like candy and there are bananas everywhere in Thailand.

Why not give it a try??

The funny thing to me is that my girlfriend never once asked me to use a condom! attachicon.gifasian-girl-jams-banana-in-her-mouth.jpg

Neither did mine.

In my experience, using condoms is a bit like washing your feet with your socks on. I have a feeling I will get some stick for saying that. smile.png

Thais want everything to be fun, or sanook, including education.

How to make sex education fun?

An ex girlfriend of mine, while in college was required to teach sex education to teen age girls as part of her curriculum.

To make it "fun" she passed out condoms and bananas to each girl in class.

She then showed them how to put a condom on using nothing but their mouth.

The girls had a lot of fun practicing with their bananas.

Some of the girls later reported to her that their boyfriends who previously refused to use a condom, let them try this method and liked it!

The Thai government is handing out condoms like candy and there are bananas everywhere in Thailand.

Why not give it a try??

The funny thing to me is that my girlfriend never once asked me to use a condom! attachicon.gifasian-girl-jams-banana-in-her-mouth.jpg

Neither did mine.

In my experience, using condoms is a bit like washing your feet with your socks on. I have a feeling I will get some stick for saying that. smile.png

I'll have to try that washing feet with socks on, although could be a turn on for some.

Mother should inform the daughter to keep her tights on.

Come on folks, look at the TV adds. Look at the clothing shop photos. Most all of the media revolves around sex. Look at the way the women dress in Thailand, it is all about sex. The parents support their daughters looking like a prostitute - I remember when I was a teen "young and dumb and full of ---, wishing I had some." Make the parents support the babies and I guarantee the monkey business will stop.

• Like 1

In Thailand, there is no legal penalty for boys or men who impregnate girls, and then abandon the mother and child. There should be.

Half the man's salary should be sent directly to the abandoned mom, minimum Bt.3,000/month. Miss two payments, go to jail.

There could be a provision that the impregnating boy's family take some fiscal responsibility also. That would be a wake-up call. Of course, neither of those ideas could happen in Thailand, because Thai peoples' attitude about 'girls getting pregnant' is archaic and childish.

If Thailand had a middle name, it would be 'Irresponsibility'.

This is a complete 'NO BRAINER"...

Thailand hypes and supports tourism (SEX TOURISM!!!) over all other venues, yet teaches nothing in schools.

Thus we have a resultant surge in teen and preteen sexual activity and excessive unwanted births and dispicable abortions.

A lack of government or Police attention to related criminal activities only increases the problem, but people are unwilling to focus on the situation...

"Had we done our best to pre-empt the problem? No."

That about sums it up for most major problems. Be it teen pregnancies, traffic accidents, rice scheme, corruption , education etc.

Pre-empt, in Thailand...cheesy.gif

just legalize abortion, for teens, unwanted pregnancies, rapes and... SOI DOGS

oh i forgot... people have children here, hoping it is a girl

so they can support the parents for life

and they can sell her once or many times to stupid farangs

Edited by belg

When teenagers want to have sex, the parents of the girl are protective and the parents of the boy figure "boys will be boys"

Government mostly sides with the perception of the boys' parents - in other words: a 'laissez faire' policy, which manifests as zero repercussions for the impregnating boys or his parents. Ditto for STD's.

When teenagers want to use drugs, nearly all parents are against it, except a tolerance for alcohol use, because parents use it.

Government is similar. It pretends to disallow alcohol for youngsters, but it allows a lot of wiggle-room, and there are never any prosecutions (for youngsters) if alcohol is used in rape or date-rape, and such rapes are never called 'drug-related crimes.'

Sex Education in Thailand: Parents do little, and government does less.

Conclusion: Parents are somewhat clueless and out-to-lunch regarding helping their kids. Governments are worse.

We're talking here about prostitution, parents selling their children and that kind of things. I don't think that is the biggest reason for teenage pregnancies.

I believe most teenage pregnancies are just there because teenage boys have sex teenage girls.

Sex education here is like biology lessons - old fashioned. I believe in modern sex education.

- Let teenage mothers come to talk in school and let them explain how their pregnancy changed their future.

- Invite a doctor to the school and let him explain where to buy condoms and the pill and how it can or cannot protect you, and how to correctly use them.

- Let the men in Thailand be financially responsible for the child (like in western countries) by changing the law.

- Stop with letting children being raised by grandparents - parents have to take their own responsibility - even if they are teenager. There should be no easy way out.