Experts Not Ruling Out The Chance Of A Tsunami In The Gulf Of Thailand

Jai Dee

Experts not ruling out a chance of a tsunami in the Gulf of Thailand

The Gulf of Thailand may not be safe from the tsunami if volcanoes south of a group of islands of the Philippines erupt.

Samith Dammasaroj (สมิธ ธรรมสโรช), assistant minister attached to the Prime Minister’s Office, said the eruption in that area might cause the earthquakes that could trigger a tsunami in the South China Sea.

Mr. Smith said the tsunami, if occurred, might cause giant waves of 15 meters tall. He said Vietnam could be hit by 8-meter-tall waves and Thailand, 1 meter tall.

Mr. Smith said the tsunami would cause damage to coastal roads and a flood. All these forecasts, he added, were made by Japanese experts.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 May 2006

1 meter waves COULD have an affect during a storm swell ... at Tsunami speeds ... but little enough. This one's pretty much a non-starter

I think you'd find that a 1 metre tsunami speed wave during a storm swell would have a devastating affect on the Pattaya/Jomtien/NaJomtien area... :o

it could! <kinda why I said that :o> BUT at 1 eter (reduced from 8 meters in the S china sea ... and not in direct line .... I think it would basically just look like storm surge there ....I would think ONLY Naratiwat-NST would be at any risk

1 meter waves COULD have an affect during a storm swell ... at Tsunami speeds ... but little enough. This one's pretty much a non-starter

I think you'd find that a 1 metre tsunami speed wave during a storm swell would have a devastating affect on the Pattaya/Jomtien/NaJomtien area... :o

Oh sh*t maybe I'll book a condo in the Majestic Tower after all

Interesting - mind you Patters easily floods so no doubt it would cause major havouc if one did manage to make its way to Pattaya.

Still don't see Pattaya being at risk .... I think there won't be an issue there :o

<from the scenario presented in the initial post>

Interesting - mind you Patters easily floods so no doubt it would cause major havouc if one did manage to make its way to Pattaya.

Still don't see Pattaya being at risk .... I think there won't be an issue there :o

<from the scenario presented in the initial post>

Well I agree its remote, but nature can be unpredictable.

The height of the wave is not the main risk, we think of waves as pointy walls of water that roll onto the beach, a tsunami wave might only be a meter high at the front but it might go back 1000's of meters, that's a lot of water moving very quickly, i hope it never happens

After having promised my wife everyday since the devasting tsunami of 2004 that it will never happen in our part of the world, don't I now look stupid?

NO Tuky you don’t look stupid, I guess Khun Samith should wear the clown hat today.

Yes statistically speaking we can’t rule out anything, snowstorms over Pattaya, or supertornadoes over Chiang Mai.

But what is the chance that this event will take place in our lifetime i.e. next 25-50 years? I guess in most cases politicians covering their behinds in just case something happens.

Read the news again “eruption …. MIGHT CAUSE the earthquakes that COULD TRIGGER a tsunami …..tsunami, IF OCCURRED, MIGHT CAUSE giant waves….COULD BE HIT by…..”