Fight against corruption not for the faint-hearted: Thai editorial

webfact

The mandate for corruption should read , clear concise guidelines along with high penalties , this doesn't stop corruption, but sends a clear message to those who wish to step outside the guide lines , what happens if you get caught, corruption if tackled right is easy fixed. coffee1.gif End of story.

• Like 1

It seems all the anti-corruption activists advocate increased funding for the NACC and other watchdogs, except the current government which reduced it as part of their STOP Corruption policy.

OTOH they gave a huge bonus to the AG, who has somehow failed to act on any number of cases involving PTP misdeeds.

• Like 1

When we talk about the "culture" of corruption in Thailand, the one thing that is often overlooked - as this editorial does - is the violence aspect. Violence seems to be a quick and easy solution to problems here. So if a govt official refuses to turn a blind eye to an obvious flaw in a building contract, he might wake up in the middle of the night to find his car ablaze, a hand grenade in his driveway, or a pix of his kid at school in his letterbox. The editorial talks of courage, but how does a lesser light - the lowly-paid, low-grade public servant, or whoever - stand up to powerful business interests who may have no hesitation in bringing in thugs to solve his "problems". What mechanisms are there to protect the lesser lights and their families? There is a witness relocation programme, but I snort with derision when anyone refers to it as a witness protection programme. With this police force and Thai inability to do things right? It is often said in these forums that Thailand needs an "Elliot Ness", and at one time many thought Seri Temiyaves was that man. But politics sidelined him, and no one else has emerged since. There is no easy solution. In fact there is no solution. At best all we can hope for is the high-level, rather than the institutionalised, corruption can be reined in.

Excellent point. Reform of the police would help this a lot. Now, the people who do these acts of violence are rarely pursued or prosecuted. Due to police corruption and ineffectiveness. If that was changed, maybe things would get a bit better?

The fact that corruption - big and small - exists everywhere in Thailand is already public knowledge. The fact that the people and successive governments have done nothing about it is also public knowledge. The root of this cancerous problem is neither constitutional or legal. It's a cultural issue deeply rooted in a still feudalistic, patronage based society, wholly stratified and defined by class and power, and those truths alone. And that is not going to change unless those responsible want to change.

arthurboy hit the nail on the head, which explains why it doesn't change. Yes legal aspects need to be enforced, but they won't be without true willingness to take the heat & blowback by everybody up & down the chain. I agree, that it is a cultural issue deeply rooted in a still feudalistic, patronage based society. Who is going to "rat" on their patron, especially when the patron sends some of the corrupt profits downstream. It is more likely that the underlings will emulate the patron and carry on his corrupt practices ("When in Rome, do as the Romans do"). Culture is slow to change.

I hope the Thais work it out. Overall I feel that most Thais understand that corruption is bad for the nation. But individually Thais as a whole are a bit selfish, as in selfish driving, cutting the que, entering the lift before others can exit. On a broad level they are against corruption but individually they see corruption as an expedient solution to personal problems.

I am not saying that Thailand can not overcome its addiction to corruption; however, I do feel that an awareness for the consideration for others is lacking. Therein lies the problem.

OK, flame away smile.png

Lancelot, consideration is often extended on a very individual and personal basis here, but is mostly lacking when it comes to the wider picture. Organised societies generally work for the greater good, but this seems to be lacking in those who seek to climb higher up the food chain (if I can use that metaphor) in Thailand. There is no denying that in the broader context this society has little feelings for the consideration of others. It's a case of going in for the kill and to hell with the consequences - let others worry about that. In a materialistic society, you could hardly expect anything else when morals and ethics are ephemeral and checks and balances are treated as an expediency to be ignored whenever it suits. Or paid off. Decentralise authority and put more local affairs in the hands of the locals, and there just might be some changes as the concept of consideration for others becomes that much more personal.

• Like 1

As I've said previously here on TVF, I'm not now nor ever have been much of a one for politics and the likes but am trying to follow this situation as best as I can, as I fear it may have some bearing sooner or later on my life here in Thailand. One thing that does strike me however, is that if the powers that be really wish to do something about corruption et al, why not do as many of our home countries do - if you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar or gain financially from criminal activities of any kind, they'll strip you of all of your assets, put the proceeds in the public coffers and then throw you in jail for your trouble. I guess its easier said than done really, but there is one high profile corrupt ex official that it shouldn't be too hard to pin this on (in his absence if needs be) that would make a very nice (and public) test case for them if they really wanted to..? I also thnk the people would appreciate their money being put back into their public purse so if anything, this could only be a vote winner..? Again, I'm not in the know... smile.png

• Like 2

First comes the Thai police corruption and the Thai cultural thought that everything is for sale.

The police are an area that needs house-cleaning, however, the corruption is pervasive as the article states. The police are the most visible and perhaps the one most foreigners have contact with on the issue of corruption.

I don't know how all Thais feel about safety, but the ones I have talked to don't have much faith in the police, either investigating or preventing crimes.

In a survey the researcher found that people are accepting if people pay a bribe but not receiving a bribe. And be honest I do the same I m paying to the police man the money to speed up the process and come off easier.

Nearly all people are doing it with small things it is a part of the life in Thailand. Of course people in higher ranks are not happy with 200 baht. The problem lays also in the salary structure. A senior public servants salary is good enough to live a good life but if you meet this guys privately they are driving big cars etc. of course I do not mean that everybody is doing it but it is a part of t he Thai way of doing business. The system in Thailand always supports corruption and favoritism, it starts that you need a Thai JV partner to start a business whose contribution to the company is normally to receive a paycheck to stay out of business. Thailand needs an economical reform, but everybody knows it is difficult to push the heard away if they are eating especially when a new heard is already waiting to get access to the food.

Be patient the Romanian Empire was also not built in one day.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

excellent article and sums it up nicely. As long as the people think graft is ok as long as they get some this will continue, they pay the govt officials(police etc) whatever they ask and say nothing, Thailand needs a force that will not let this happen. Just like the US had ness back in the 1900's Thailand needs someone to head up an elite group with the aim of getting all those that take bribes without taking sides. Laws on corruption need to change so that politicians/political groups are banned for life and lose all their assets as well as jail time, this goes for the elites as well, no more slaps on the wrist when they kill people. They need to face serious jail time, people personal/family wealth should not be a factor, one law for all or it will not hwlp the country.

Thailand is a great country but it needs to reign in the graft/corruption that is entrenched in daily lives, until we get a govt that is willing to do something about it, it will continue and remain unstable.

• Like 1

Before the corruption laws are changed, they need to change the whole legal system to close the numerous loopholes which allows cases to drag on indefinitely until they are simply forgotten. God knows how to do all this when those that make the laws and those who are supposed to enforce them, are the very persons who 'benefit' the most from there laxity. Its like turkeys voting for Christmas.

• Like 1

Any person,group,political party would face a massive negative backlash in many different forms,they would be destroyed by the very senior persons this "attack on corruption" was attempting to end. Of course that would be if it was a "real" atrack which of course it wont be.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kingalfred

Asking the police to fight against corruption is like asking a fox to guard the chicken coupe. As a government you must care about your citizens and respect everyone regardless of gender or religion or political choice first. This male dominated government doesn't give a rats a$$ about anything except their own pockets.

I think they need a Wikileaks Anti corruption web site. They also need a mandatory courses in Ethics

in public school, high school, university. Even then it will be a long difficult battle. Those who benefit

will not want to end the backhanders. coffee1.gif

Its simple to end corruption. Allow people to take as much money as they want, but their lifestyle must match their official income. Who is interested in being rich if you have to take the bus to work everyday and stay in a dingy, little apartment? No different than drug dealers.

Take away the visible signs of success and you would quickly see people giving up, as what's the point in having a lot of money in your closet? How can corruption committees allow someone with a 20,000 baht per month income to drive to a corruption meeting in a 5 million baht BMW? Where in the hell did he get the money?

Its simple to end corruption. Allow people to take as much money as they want, but their lifestyle must match their official income. Who is interested in being rich if you have to take the bus to work everyday and stay in a dingy, little apartment? No different than drug dealers.

Take away the visible signs of success and you would quickly see people giving up, as what's the point in having a lot of money in your closet? How can corruption committees allow someone with a 20,000 baht per month income to drive to a corruption meeting in a 5 million baht BMW? Where in the hell did he get the money?

facepalm.gif

When we talk about the "culture" of corruption in Thailand, the one thing that is often overlooked - as this editorial does - is the violence aspect. Violence seems to be a quick and easy solution to problems here. So if a govt official refuses to turn a blind eye to an obvious flaw in a building contract, he might wake up in the middle of the night to find his car ablaze, a hand grenade in his driveway, or a pix of his kid at school in his letterbox. The editorial talks of courage, but how does a lesser light - the lowly-paid, low-grade public servant, or whoever - stand up to powerful business interests who may have no hesitation in bringing in thugs to solve his "problems". What mechanisms are there to protect the lesser lights and their families? There is a witness relocation programme, but I snort with derision when anyone refers to it as a witness protection programme. With this police force and Thai inability to do things right? It is often said in these forums that Thailand needs an "Elliot Ness", and at one time many thought Seri Temiyaves was that man. But politics sidelined him, and no one else has emerged since. There is no easy solution. In fact there is no solution. At best all we can hope for is the high-level, rather than the institutionalised, corruption can be reined in.

A valid point about violence. We know enforcement of rules and laws in Thailand is weak - I believe, in many cases, for fear of punishment-free revenge/retribution - sometimes like the Wild West.