The 3D printer that can build a house in 24 hours

I wonder how much it costs to make the average 2 up 2 down this way. It is an interesting concept but I doubt it will ever be allowed to be unleashed on the world as unemployment would skyrocket over night.....

Not sure how far away we are before this is the norm in the construction world but could this kind of thing not be used to build, like you say, 2 up 2 down or at least affordable houses for people all over the world. I'm also thinking about people in the UK who struggle to get on the property ladder due to the lack of affordable homes.

No steel reinforcement at all ?

I was thinking the same thing....but doesn't the robot do that also?

I guess if they needed vertical reinforcent the could form holes to put steel rails in

The whole idea seems to focus on single-storey buildings, so reinforcement is unnecessary. If it were to be developed for multi-storey purposes, then reinforcement would have to be included.

No steel reinforcement at all ?

I was thinking the same thing....but doesn't the robot do that also?

I guess if they needed vertical reinforcent the could form holes to put steel rails in

The whole idea seems to focus on single-storey buildings, so reinforcement is unnecessary. If it were to be developed for multi-storey purposes, then reinforcement would have to be included.

If reinforcement is unnecessary on a single story dwelling why do they bother with it currently ?

Has anyone seen a 3D printer ?

the low cost ones are slower than......!

the major patent just expired so the price might come down on the high $$$ ones which are quicker ,

want to build your own ? http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap

We have a couple of these , they are a nice toy , but not really something that can do perfect parts , in fact there are NO perfect parts with 3D printing since the part is made by layers , and each layer has a "step" to the next layer , so it will never be a true curved surface but a long staircase.......

it still has a few years to go , like the flying car !

No smokoes, no sickies, no arriving at 7am and taking 2 hrs to find the shovel. The only problem is they will not be able to produce the machines quickly enough.

Let's develop a 3D printer to produce 3D printers!

It's turtles all the way down (and up as well).

No smokoes, no sickies, no arriving at 7am and taking 2 hrs to find the shovel. The only problem is they will not be able to produce the machines quickly enough.

Let's develop a 3D printer to produce 3D printers!

It's turtles all the way down (and up as well).

the two 3D printers we bought were used to clone themselves and another 70 were made !

of course this was the plastic parts , the other stuff was bought at the hardware store

http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap will show you how to build one and is where the DIY 3D printer guys hang out

Sorry for slightly off topic

I enjoy the thought of what a 3d printer could make. The lists are endless but, imagine the power if they got into the wrong hands though...

the gun is a non starter , it will blow up in your hand probably

but it makes a good story for the nightly paranoid newscast

Edited by BKKdreaming

Sorry for slightly off topic

I enjoy the thought of what a 3d printer could make. The lists are endless but, imagine the power if they got into the wrong hands though...

the gun is a non starter , it will blow up in your hand probably

but it makes a good story for the nightly paranoid newscast

The printed gun is very much a starter, here is one printed in metal and it functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ZYKMBDm4M

• Like 1

Hmm.

Any tilt up concrete company could put a house up to same similar size as pictured in not much more than a day.

Yeah but that is not from raw materials now is it.

But so what?

Cement mixed with water is pretty raw. Anyhow this is about some 'revolutionary' new machine that can build a house in a day, at least the walls anyway.

My point is we already do that.

I wonder what cement can set so quick

Shotcrete the same as they use in tunnel construction.

quickcrete the stuff used for making control towers at airports

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hmm.

Any tilt up concrete company could put a house up to same similar size as pictured in not much more than a day.

Yeah but that is not from raw materials now is it.

But so what?

Cement mixed with water is pretty raw. Anyhow this is about some 'revolutionary' new machine that can build a house in a day, at least the walls anyway.

My point is we already do that.

No.

Not a chance can you precast offsite then assemble onsite in the same day.