Odds of US military invasion on Korean Peninsula rising

webfact

Start trading with the North.. isolation has just caused problems. Tell me where its paid off. Integration trade and talking works. But thats Not the American way. Free Trade my Arse

Do you pay attention to what goes on outside of Thailand? In the past the US has given food to North Korea when they were where showing they stopped all progress on their nuclear program. However that did not last long and North Korea started again, therefore the embargo. The leader is a nut case. All he cares about is himself while his people starve and die but he is living the high life so it just doesn't matter. Keeping the embargo in place is keeping him in check and making it hard for them to move forward with their military programs. So why do you think free trade will help?

Half right. Food for no nukes worked until Bush came to power and threw a huge spanner in the works with his Axis of Evil. Following the lies that led to the invasion of Iraq, NK decided that developing nuclear weapons was a good way of ensuring no invasion there. Things were exacerbated by the election of a right-wing president in S Korea. So no negotiations.

Yes, The ruling dynasty in NK are nut cases but you don't deal with a nut case by inciting him with your own nut cases. The article may be crap but the only way to deal with NK is by talking with them - without any preconditions. As it hasn't been tried since 2000, it's worth a try now.

I agree embargoes dont work and I agree a sit down with regular talks should be going on, but to say let's allow free trade, that is just crazy talk.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start trading with the North.. isolation has just caused problems. Tell me where its paid off. Integration trade and talking works. But thats Not the American way. Free Trade my Arse

Do you pay attention to what goes on outside of Thailand? In the past the US has given food to North Korea when they were where showing they stopped all progress on their nuclear program. However that did not last long and North Korea started again, therefore the embargo. The leader is a nut case. All he cares about is himself while his people starve and die but he is living the high life so it just doesn't matter. Keeping the embargo in place is keeping him in check and making it hard for them to move forward with their military programs. So why do you think free trade will help?

Half right. Food for no nukes worked until Bush came to power and threw a huge spanner in the works with his Axis of Evil. Following the lies that led to the invasion of Iraq, NK decided that developing nuclear weapons was a good way of ensuring no invasion there. Things were exacerbated by the election of a right-wing president in S Korea. So no negotiations.

Yes, The ruling dynasty in NK are nut cases but you don't deal with a nut case by inciting him with your own nut cases. The article may be crap but the only way to deal with NK is by talking with them - without any preconditions. As it hasn't been tried since 2000, it's worth a try now.

Washington and Pyongyang are in confidential unannounced one-on-one talks through the UN in New York for a year but have got nowhere, despite the fact Pyongyang has been hollering for 1-on1 talks outside of the Six Party Talks of the past ten or so years (Beijing, Moscow, Seoul, Tokyo, Washington, Pyongyang).

They'll have to keep talking until both sides decide it's time to commit to something that could be agreeable.

Trade is overstated anyway as a factor of international or global relations. Japan is the largest foreign direct investor in the CCP-PRC yet Beijing is conducting a belligerent and bellicose campaign against Japan's legal sovereign possession and ownership of the Senkaku Islands of the Ryukyu Island chain that never belonged to China as evidenced that the old Ryukyu Kingdom that ruled the chain had a Japanese name.

The US and the CCP have enormous trade and financial investments yet the two are arming to the teeth against one another.

Still, no hostilities have broken out and that has to be in part due to economic and financial interconnectedness. How far that may go in avoiding hostilities is another matter, especially if a stray or errant pilot does something stupid or some ship captain on either side rams or blasts somebody on the other side.

• Like 1

Trade? What the heck do we want from North Korea? Nothing. What do we need from North Korea? Nothing.

Apparently, some just think we should give North Korea a bunch of money and economic support. BS. They have nothing to offer anyone from an economic or trade perspective. We owe them nothing.

Rather than throw around the words embargo or trade and play the sick child card, why not just come out and say US should direct its tax payor's money and send food and goods to North Korea so they can take care of themselves.

• Like 2

The Americans already have 30,000 troops there and they are sending a Battalion !!!!!-------- as a matter of interest,how many is a battalion? And why do they need to send one if they already have 30,000? Something wrong heresad.pngsad.png

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.

Not enough our problems with the political situation in Thailand, now we are faced with a possible war with North Korea!

God....put some sense to all of them!

What does thailand have to do with North Korea? Is the LoS a "threat" to the US? nope... so then the US wont step in the political situation here. LoS is just the military's vacation spot.

I don't believe the US considers Thailand a threat to anyone in the area. However, as a long time US ally, they may be in a position to provide logistical support for ships, aircraft and troops.

Let us hope peace prevails and the rockets don't start flying across the Korean peninsula and beyond.

The Americans already have 30,000 troops there and they are sending a Battalion !!!!!-------- as a matter of interest,how many is a battalion? And why do they need to send one if they already have 30,000? Something wrong heresad.pngsad.png

Also had no idea so looked it up Google answer: = Battalion - 300 to 1,000 soldiers. Four to six companies make up a battalion,

Also had no idea so looked it up Google answer: = Battalion - 300 to 1,000 soldiers. Four to six companies make up a battalion,

a BN in the US Army is about 800 soldiers.

Not enough our problems with the political situation in Thailand, now we are faced with a possible war with North Korea!

Nothing ever seems to change does it?

History continues to repeat, same old broken record of human misery and suffering.

We've come so far technologically, but we've barely moved on socially from neanderthal man.

Really, it's getting boring.

how do you know how developed the neanderthal man was?

No he doesn't have a clue.

Linear modernist thinkers like to use "Neanderthal" as a synonym for primitive.

History does not actually repeat; it seems more likely to rhyme.

• Like 1

Perhaps because there are very few cases throughout recent history where an economic embargo bent any unfriendly corrupt leadership to the will of the west? I can't think of one case, but I'll stick with "very few".

Economic embargoes do cause immense suffering among the little people and kill thousands of innocents, taking a heavy toll of children. The hope being that the little people will suffer so much that they put pressure the corrupt leadership.

Doesn't seem like a very humane plan, and certainly hasn't been very effective in Cuba, Iran, N Korea, xxx...xxx....

The embargo is not so much to bend him, but to prevent him from being able to import needed equipment to expand his military programs. If the embargo was lifted he could easily increase his military supplies.

History continues to repeat, same old broken record of human misery and suffering.

We've come so far technologically, but we've barely moved on socially from neanderthal man.

At the times of the neanderthalers, there were NO wars, just some fights with the neighbors (mostly about women, what else?!?)

So in that respect (wars, not women), we are definitely LESS advanced than the neanderthalers smile.png

With thousands of pieces of NK heavy artillery within range of Seoul, I doubt it will be the USA making any first move.

The US does have some great weapons. Especially the air-force and smart bombs. The fat boy and friends in the North must know that the south has the Lat/Long of his humble home

Doesn't matter how smart the weapons are. The opening artillery volley in any new Korean war would probably kill tens or hundreds of thousands of civilians in Seoul, before the air force could even launch a single aircraft.

that's a lot of people who wont need to fly in late to Chiang Mai!

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

fat boy no want. Remember. He closed down the trade area before?. He eats well look at him. His people don't and he doesn't care.

Shame

With thousands of pieces of NK heavy artillery within range of Seoul, I doubt it will be the USA making any first move.

The US does have some great weapons. Especially the air-force and smart bombs. The fat boy and friends in the North must know that the south has the Lat/Long of his humble home

Doesn't matter how smart the weapons are. The opening artillery volley in any new Korean war would probably kill tens or hundreds of thousands of civilians in Seoul, before the air force could even launch a single aircraft.

Assuming of course that the NK army equipment can actually work. Within 48 hours, the South would have wiped out the entire NK airforce and achieved air superiority. Once that happened, it would be all over for North Korea. I would also anticipate the Chinese invading to secure their own interests. It would eb very interesting to see the Japanese response as there is a mutual defense treaty in place.

• Like 1

fat boy no want. Remember. He closed down the trade area before?. He eats well look at him. His people don't and he doesn't care.

Shame

America would love to trade with him, and convert North Korea into a loving relationship of capitalistic bliss. How is this going to work when they are rattling sabers at the South almost daily. It is a Communist Dictatorship, boss... They do not like/want our business.

When North Korea lightens up, I am sure all the American Businesses will rush in.

Assuming of course that the NK army equipment can actually work. Within 48 hours, the South would have wiped out the entire NK airforce and achieved air superiority. Once that happened, it would be all over for North Korea. I would also anticipate the Chinese invading to secure their own interests. It would eb very interesting to see the Japanese response as there is a mutual defense treaty in place.

If the regime sees an existential threat, it's the first hour that has people worried. They can put thousands of tons of shells into Seoul before the guns can be destroyed. That technology has been around for 100+ years and I'm sure they have it down pat. They may be lobbing shells from the '60s or '70s but they'll still be devastating.

The regime will be in their bunkers negotiating asylum in other countries while their people take it in the shorts again.

They know it would be all over, but if they're getting ousted anyway, they'll be ousted from scorched earth.

Edited by impulse

No he doesn't have a clue.

Linear modernist thinkers like to use "Neanderthal" as a synonym for primitive.

History does not actually repeat; it seems more likely to rhyme.

Excuse me, but no one has ever accused me of being a thinker . . . of any sort.

How very dare you, Sir!

475761_LSDXI248RSE7TXBYNL7UG8J7HZQAD8_30

Oh please, there is zero chance the US is going to invade NK. At last count, NK had 9.5 million personnel under arms in their military, militia and nation guardsmen. This is the reason no one messes with the psycho nutcase in charge.