Aussie fraud, embezzlement trial to start in June

webfact

Aussie fraud, embezzlement trial to start in June
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_201419172025417_OdYqIHMuTfEyW
The trial of Australian Rell Hayes for six counts of fraud and embezzlement totalling more than 80 million baht will start in June. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: -- Rell Hayes, the Australian founder of the Stoney Monday Oasis Hotel in Phuket, has denied criminal charges of embezzlement and six counts of fraud involving more than 80 million baht.

His defense will be heard in court when his trial begins on June 10.

Rell Vivien Hayes, 51, was arrested in Krabi in November after Phuket Provincial Court issued two separate warrants for his arrest: one in 2009 and the other in 2011 (story here).

Mr Hayes appeared in court on December 19 to hear the charges against him and to learn his trial date, explained Weerasak Promthong, a lawyer representing six plaintiffs in the case against Mr Hayes.

“It would have been to his benefit to confess his crimes in court, but he denied all charges,” Mr Weerasak told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

Following Mr Hayes’ denial, the judge set the trial in motion.

“On June 10, the court will hear witness testimony from the prosecutor. Police investigators, Mr Hayes’ wife and a land agent involved in one of the land transactions will be at the hearing,” explained Mr Weerasak.

“On June 11, Mr Hayes will have to appear in court to hear more witness testimony, and on June 12, Mr Hayes will appear in court to hear testimony in his defense,” he added.

“I am not sure whether or not the plaintiffs will appear in court on June 10 with Mr Hayes,” said Mr Weerasak.

Meanwhile, Mr Hayes remains incarcerated at Phuket Prison.

“Bail was set at more than 26 million baht, one-third of the damages claimed,” Mr Weerasak said. “Mr Hayes was unable post bail.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Aussie-fraud-embezzlement-trial-to-start-in-June-23234.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-01-09

Guess we'll get that hysterical and rather shrill woman poster back, then. One of the victims of this bloke.

Men over 50 should not wear pony tails, or, earrings.

Rules to live by.

Have you actually spoken with her to know that she is indeed 'rather shrill''?

If not , how do you know she is?

As for earrings and ponytails.......those are personal choices..

Here's a rule to live by just for you..don't judge a book by its cover..smile.png

She comes across on the forum as shrill IMO (not that I blame her).

I don't have to judge a book by it's cover. Pony-tails and earrings on blokes over 50 look ridiculous and always will. Nothing to do with personality......just looks.

Edited by LivinginKata
Inflammatory remark removed

Had he been Thai, he would have merely been told where to send 10 million baht and that would be the last anyone hears about it.

even being an ex-pat that can happen. Issue is it's all expats pressing charges so they need to run through the motions. So either he pays and will be quietly released from jail for maybe good behavior or Kings pardon etc or he don't pay and stays in jail. As I have heard said here many times by Thai people the only people in jail are the ones that have no money.

So has this guy gone into business with thais who now want his 49%. Just seems like a normal Thai/Farang business partnership farang provides all the money and thais get all the business and assests.

So has this guy gone into business with thais who now want his 49%. Just seems like a normal Thai/Farang business partnership farang provides all the money and thais get all the business and assests.

Since this business was stopped already quite some time ago, you're way of the mark.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It would have been to his benefit to confess his crimes in court, but he denied all charges, Mr Weerasak told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

looks like they have him down for guilty already. this guy is done and dusted

It would have been to his benefit to confess his crimes in court, but he denied all charges, Mr Weerasak told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

looks like they have him down for guilty already. this guy is done and dusted

In Thailand anyone who is arrested is automatically deemed to be guilty. So no money indicates a long time in jail but at least its sunnny and warm in Phuket.

Love the picture. Looks like a cross between Boy George and a pirate.

Bet he hopes the "Boys" inside don't "Love" the picture.

Thai jails are very different from your idea of American jails where newbies are supposedly all raped upon arrival. All Thai jails have ladyboys, and of course they have "gay" groups as well, therefore rape is very rare indeed, and "if" it happens, then the Thais will target a young boy and certainly not some ugly, hairy and smelly foreigner.

The only trouble he can get himself into is either upsetting the staff or his fellow inmates.

She comes across on the forum as shrill IMO (not that I blame her).

I don't have to judge a book by it's cover. Pony-tails and earrings on blokes over 50 look ridiculous and always will. Nothing to do with personality......just looks.

Dreads are okay though smile.png

Had he been Thai, he would have merely been told where to send 10 million baht and that would be the last anyone hears about it.

even being an ex-pat that can happen. Issue is it's all expats pressing charges so they need to run through the motions. So either he pays and will be quietly released from jail for maybe good behavior or Kings pardon etc or he don't pay and stays in jail. As I have heard said here many times by Thai people the only people in jail are the ones that have no money.

This pay up and free to go myth is constantly brought up all over this forum. Any 'agreed upon compensation by both parties (albeit the victim has the upper hand), is merely taken into consideration when sentencing is pronounced AFTER the trial has run it's course. It is NOT a 'get out free' payment.

Love the picture. Looks like a cross between Boy George and a pirate.

Bet he hopes the "Boys" inside don't "Love" the picture.

Thai jails are very different from your idea of American jails where newbies are supposedly all raped upon arrival. All Thai jails have ladyboys, and of course they have "gay" groups as well, therefore rape is very rare indeed, and "if" it happens, then the Thais will target a young boy and certainly not some ugly, hairy and smelly foreigner.

The only trouble he can get himself into is either upsetting the staff or his fellow inmates.

Agree 100% with you..Apart from having some mongrel officers who can and do use rape as a power trip/intimidation method ,rape amongst inmates is almost unheard of in LOS..

Guess we'll get that hysterical and rather shrill woman poster back, then. One of the victims of this bloke.

Rules to live by.

And, who made you the fashion czar? I imagine someone could find something to complain about in anyone's looks. The old standby makes a lot of sense, if you don't like it don't look.

Rules to live by.

And, who made you the fashion czar? I imagine someone could find something to complain about in anyone's looks. The old standby makes a lot of sense, if you don't like it don't look.

You sound like someone who has a comb-over.

The charges against him were lodged by American and Australian "investors."

Your leap to Thai bash is total nonsense and, as usual here at the TV Kangaroo Court, just bar stool posturing.

The 2009 warrant was issued after American William Lawson Young successfully filed a claim against Mr Hayes for failing to complete a contract to build and hand over a house.

“After that, in 2009, Mr Hayes fled Thailand. We later learned through the Department of Special Investigation [DSI] that he had returned and was living and working in Krabi,” said Weerasak Promthong, a lawyer representing six plaintiffs against Mr Hayes.

However, it was an 80mn-baht deal to sell land to five Australian investors that led to the second warrant being issued in 2011.

“In 2008, five Australian businessmen transferred 80 million baht to buy land for a resort project in Phuket,” Mr Weerasak said.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Stoney-Monday-founder-faces-trial-in-Phuket-for-B80mn-fraud-22890.html

Rules to live by.

I can live with pony tails and earrings (both passe) but my pet dislike is the NQS (Not quiet shorts, not quiet strides) calf pants that old blokes seem to be wearing in ever greater numbers.

Having seen first hand how this person (cant for the life of me call him a man) ripped people off I can assure you all , he is as guilty as sin. He lied to FRIENDS and promised them he would look after there life savings, instead as soon as he had there money, it was spend time, boats, trips etc. Then when questions were being asked ( way to late) and he was being asked to explain why money wasn't being payed back and building wasn't progressing, he fled to Bali where he started the wheels of lies and decite all over again. He has the gift of the gab, gets peoples trust that he is a good guy, and see you later to your savings. He is not a stupid person and can assure everyone he has made sure the money is not in Thailand anymore, sitting snuggly in an Aus bank account, but as it is not in his name it is probabley safe from the people who should be getting it, the poor bastards who trusted him. They were not all stupid get rich quick people as some of you have said many of them were just friends wanting to make there savings grow a little and believed he would do the right thing by friends not clean them out. Would love to know more about "The Wife", unfortunatley he has been in our lives for many years and have never heard of a wife.

Rules to live by.

and what drastic limitation are you trying to cover with your unsubstantiated biased remarks

Rules to live by.

and what drastic limitation are you trying to cover with your unsubstantiated biased remarks

Don't worry..... unsubstantiated biased remarks are just what he does best..bah.gif

Having seen first hand how this person (cant for the life of me call him a man) ripped people off I can assure you all , he is as guilty as sin. He lied to FRIENDS and promised them he would look after there life savings, instead as soon as he had there money, it was spend time, boats, trips etc. Then when questions were being asked ( way to late) and he was being asked to explain why money wasn't being payed back and building wasn't progressing, he fled to Bali where he started the wheels of lies and decite all over again. He has the gift of the gab, gets peoples trust that he is a good guy, and see you later to your savings. He is not a stupid person and can assure everyone he has made sure the money is not in Thailand anymore, sitting snuggly in an Aus bank account, but as it is not in his name it is probabley safe from the people who should be getting it, the poor bastards who trusted him. They were not all stupid get rich quick people as some of you have said many of them were just friends wanting to make there savings grow a little and believed he would do the right thing by friends not clean them out. Would love to know more about "The Wife", unfortunatley he has been in our lives for many years and have never heard of a wife.

Maureen, the strangest people you meet over here are the other foreigners.

If you have some foreigner coming to you with a "get rich in real estate" proposition.............well it's the old adage, "a fool and his money are easily parted".

I'm sorry your people got duped.