Watching British TV on a computer in Thailand

russianrobert

There are ways using VPNs and Proxy servers- there are some free ones. Basically they are a pain as they disappear at the drop of a hat and are very slow.

I use UKTV app on the computer (can also use online player, but I never do). Free gives you a random set of channels, they change - its a taster. For 500baht a month (or less if you book over time - I do it on 3 monthly blocks just in case they disappear smile.png) - this gives all the main channels (BBC1-4/cbeebies/chnl 4/E4/Film4/Five/ITV1-4/more4/Sky News/BBC News - had to open it up to get the list tongue.png) - as it is served here in Thailand (slingshot I guess) it runs very fast with no buffering and has 7 days history on any channel. Works for me smile.png

//Edit: Link Here :> http://www.uk-tv.asia/

Edited by wolf5370

unotelly has served me proud for months - free trial can be extended to 6 months, but honestly it's worth paying for.

I agree. I've been using it for over a year now and am very satisfied. For BBC World News I use streamago.

If you use Google Chrome as a server download their Zenmate extension. It gives you a virtual IP address from London (without getting all the crap that's associated with other sites, such as Expat Shield). You can then use all the UK I-Players (BBC i-player, ITV player, 4OD, etc) free of charge.

As Wolf5370 says, you can also use UKTV http://www.uk-tv.asia/. Picture quality is good and for 490 baht per month this will give you 16 UK channels, including all the main BBC and ITV channels, available to both watch and record, live and catchup, for the previous week. They also have a few 'free' (but constantly changing) channels available. Also there's no minimum contract so you can pay for just one month then stop if you want to (if you're just here on holiday for example). Also available as an app for your smart phone and tablet.

• Like 1

The trick is to find a Thai server based stream of whatever UK TV you want to watch for most ISPs. UKTV offers it, but it isn't free. Other than that you are subject to the international bandwidth limitations and associated buffering even if you have the geographic location DNS hidden with stuff like Media Hint or Hola.

The easiest way and only free way I know of is to sign up on www.filmon.com. It costs nothing to register and if you want to watch all the UK channels, be sure to tell them a small porkie and say you are in the UK, they don't check and if you don't then you get limited UK channels. The only slight drawback to filmon is you have to be awake at the correct times to view the programs, I believe you can pay and in turn have recording abilities but have never tried.

With the 12 hour time difference how does watching live UK TV work with your lifestyle?

Do you sleep all day and watch at night?

I download UK TV from the several sites during the day and watch them in the evenings here. OK so the BBC news will a day late but for normal programs it does not really matter.

smile.png

With the 12 hour time difference how does watching live UK TV work with your lifestyle?

I download UK TV from the several sites during the day and watch them in the evenings here. OK so the BBC news will a day late but for normal programs it does not really matter.

smile.png

That's why I prefer UKTV - it has a 7 day schedule (actually its 10 days - but today and 6 days back - and forward 3 days) - any program in that schedule (including news etc and all adverts) is available - basically it captures 7 days stream of all the channels and selecting a program in the schedule plays from that point in time, and will continue after the program has finished (i.e. you can sent the synch to match as you want). I prefer it that way as I can choose what to watch rather than having to watch sequentially like on terrestrial TV - you can also set a record (or download) the programs, but I have only done this once to test it - never bother.

I got it first when my parent came to visit, so mum could watch the soaps - but kept it since.

smile.png

That's why I prefer UKTV - it has a 7 day schedule (actually its 10 days - but today and 6 days back - and forward 3 days) - any program in that schedule (including news etc and all adverts) is available - basically it captures 7 days stream of all the channels and selecting a program in the schedule plays from that point in time, and will continue after the program has finished (i.e. you can sent the synch to match as you want). I prefer it that way as I can choose what to watch rather than having to watch sequentially like on terrestrial TV - you can also set a record (or download) the programs, but I have only done this once to test it - never bother.

I got it first when my parent came to visit, so mum could watch the soaps - but kept it since.

I download a few programs and save them on my laptop. Then when we go to the village and everyone is watching their ch3 and ch7 movies I can watch UK TV at the same time on the laptop.

The easiest and free way is just to use Firefox with the Media Hint add on. You can then access the BBC/ITV iplayers.

I cannot find Media Hint on Firefox add ons?

re

I cannot find Media Hint on Firefox media hint

me neither sad.png

re

my tablet only makes it 7 hours sad.png

dave2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint/

The easiest and free way is just to use Firefox with the Media Hint add on. You can then access the BBC/ITV iplayers.

Good call mate,,added the add on and watching I player now

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

UKTV at. 3,800 Baht for the year is an absolute must if you want British TV.

All the UK TV is free on XBMC - no monthly fees etc - free software so why pay for it ..

ashes.png

A few issues with this XBMC approach:

1. What internet band speed do you watch it on? Whenever I try this on a 10mbps line I cannot always get it not to buffer, unless its a TOT feed for stuff like ITV choice etc?

2. This is live TV needs recording to watch it at a reasonable time for most folks in far east? Cannot same be achieved just using the BBC and ITV iplayers using geo unblocker?

I cannot find Media Hint on Firefox add ons?

re

I cannot find Media Hint on Firefox media hint

me neither sad.png

re

my tablet only makes it 7 hours sad.png

dave2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint/

i like UKTV because you get the last seven days of tv and recording so your time zone is irrelevant. and for 500 baht a month its a bargain. (i download more than enough free movies and tv series)

thanks for the info ,

are there any android apps that do the same thing ?

uktv is available as an android app. its free at the moment as they are not 100% happy with it. it gives 10 channels that change from time to time and there are a couple of glitches but it generally works fine. download and enjoy before they start charging.

All the UK TV is free on XBMC - no monthly fees etc - free software so why pay for it ..

ashes.png

1. What internet band speed do you watch it on? Whenever I try this on a 10mbps line I cannot always get it not to buffer, unless its a TOT feed for stuff like ITV choice etc?

2. This is live TV needs recording to watch it at a reasonable time for most folks in far east? Cannot same be achieved just using the BBC and ITV iplayers using geo unblocker?

you might as well just pay for uktv, its a bargain at 500 baht a month. no headaches or hassles

• Like 1

ashes.png

you might as well just pay for uktv, its a bargain at 500 baht a month. no headaches or hassles

I thought about it, but when ilikehd is only 200THB/m with live EPL it was a no brainer.

thanks for the info ,

are there any android apps that do the same thing ?

uktv is available as an android app. its free at the moment as they are not 100% happy with it. it gives 10 channels that change from time to time and there are a couple of glitches but it generally works fine. download and enjoy before they start charging.

Which app? There are a few UKTV apps. Thanks

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app