US Embassy in Bangkok advises citizens to stock a two week supply of cash, food and medicine

Jonathan Fairfield

I think for the most part, we hope that the warning is an over-reaction and this whole situation is over in a few days. The difficulty with a country like Thailand, and a situation like this, is that there are so many variables that could cause problems.

What if the supporters of the gov't decide to come to Bangkok?

What if a 'third hand' is successful in stirring up trouble?

What if the military intervenes, or what if they don't intervene?

Maybe after a day or two, the numbers will dwindle, but if they don't, then what?

There is a lot of speculation of who is behind this and where the money is coming from. In spite of what people think, these protests are not free. It takes a lot of money and a lot of logistical support to keep them going.

Basically, the Embassy is using the Boy Scout Motto: Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Outta likes Craig, yes I've always run this household up here in the sticks like a true prepper. Not so much because of impending doom it's just that I hate shopping so try to keep it to a few times a year and a pick-up truck full each time.

For those in the cities with limited storage space this can be a problem.

If feel the World and in particular Asia right now is becoming less stable, not necessarily unstable but it's worth being prepared come what may. Also bulk buying essentials has always been at the heart of good home economics.

I made a desperate trip to Big C Rachada today as I needed to stock up on AA batteries for my remote controls as I anticipate spending a lot of time in front of my TV over the next few days. Imagine my surprise to find less than the usual number of (Thai) people you would normally expect to find on a Saturday. Shelves were fully stocked, nothing in short supply at all. There was a guy at the next aisle with a suspiciously large number of 1.5 litre bottles of aerated drinks. I suspect he might be throwing a children's party.

In case I run out of food, my plan of action would be to go downstairs with my whistle, wearing a T shirt of any colour other than red and help myself to the lunch boxes and water that they provide at all protest sites for the protesters. I may have to queue for about 10 minutes but at least I would be fed and watered. If the PDRC is going to disrupt my daily life, the least they could do is to give me some free food. I might even get to experience what hiso people eat.

One might add that you also have the option to wander over to any other demos that may be happening and win a lunch box or two there.

The Hiso bit is a nice touch.

I do hope it's not somtan as that damages and curls the hair..........

• Like 1

I had to explain to my Thai family, why we did shopping for essentials once a month and the auto was equipted for our survival for 4 to 5 days. A winter storm or a citywide shutdown can have similar affect on the daily lifestyle to which you become accoustomed. Sometimes we need reminding of the possible circomstances and sound measures to be taken before hand.

If the government had been run with due dilligance, planning and prepration this possible situation might not even have been a possiblity.

• Like 2

I was in New York City on Sept 11, 2001. All roads into the city were blocked for several days after the event. Stores were sold out of essentials in 1 day. Most restaurants were closed because the employees couldn't get into town and neither could the supplies. Lines at the few restaurants that were open were sometimes 50-75 people long. We had to wait for hours just to get in and all they could do was provide a very limited menu. It was quite scary.

If these guys really do block a major part of the city, and it's done peacefully, supplies could be in very short supply for those in these areas.

A prudent message for those living in the center of this mess.

As for the America bashers, we don't need troll posts like this and they will be removed and warnings handed out. This is a matter not to be taken lightly.

wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1722055545 width=20 height=20>

Don't see how this is an apt comparison. Events of 9/11 may, however, partly explain any American or others who were witness to and affected by the attacks who are overly cautious in Thailand now or in similar situations. Agree with the sentences about prudence and bashing though.

My point was, things can change in the blink of an eye, and being prepared is not a bad idea. Especially considering the volatility here.

Very few American's experienced what happened in NYC. And nobody could have predicated what happened.

wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1722055545 width=20 height=20>

Very few? Between residents and workers, 30 million or more Americans were in New York City on September 11, 2001. This was more than 10% of the US population at the time. I was living in Thailand when it happened, but I was deeply affected, as were Americans and people all around the world wherever they were on that day. Those who weren't there witnessed it on video plenty of times and were/are able to get every detail of the events and aftermath from every media source there was/is.

My point above was that what is to happen in Bangkok on the 13th and after, while not to be underestimated, has been expected for some weeks now, whereas the events of 9/11 and other emergent catastrophic events are not in the same category in terms of circumstances and sequelae. With the history of protests, coups, and attempted coups in this country, not to mention specific announcements made by Suthep, et al, what is going to happen is relatively predictable.

This is just panicking. w00t.gif

First of all the protest are in just a small part of the city. 90% of the city is not and will not be involved. Government and state companies can be involved and some, through their monopoly position, will give some inconvenience like disruptions in internet, bank and petrol services.

Second, in all the protests and floodings here there was always something to eat and drink. Maybe not 100% your taste but you will not die from eat local food or drink a other brand of beer. The water supply is the only thing that worry but in lessons from past here the tap , sometimes interrupted, give water.