The Nic Brown Story

sticklee

Sometimes things just happen and it is sad when it has life lasting results. The video asks for help for Nick but I did not notice any information on what kind of help he wishes for or if it is donations he seeks where and how to make one. OP, can you add this information please.

Sad story. I hope Nic receives justice and a recovery that at least gives him as much a normal life as possible.

"but I told Nic not to get involved" - always the best advice in Thailand. You can never predict what drunk Thais are capable of doing.

• Like 1

This video is 6 months old. A more recent piece in a Canadian newspaper had him flying home at the end of 2013 so he may be in Canada now.

The family of the shooter is upper middle-class Bangkok who own a company so the son will not be doing any time in prison. It is unclear from the latest article if they have now stopped paying for Nic's medical treatment.

This story is really sad. Paralysed 'cos some drunk f**kwit decides to shoot into you and your group of friends.

• Like 2

This video is 6 months old. A more recent piece in a Canadian newspaper had him flying home at the end of 2013 so he may be in Canada now.

The family of the shooter is upper middle-class Bangkok who own a company so the son will not be doing any time in prison. It is unclear from the latest article if they have now stopped paying for Nic's medical treatment.

This story is really sad. Paralysed 'cos some drunk f**kwit decides to shoot into you and your group of friends.

June 21 is the date of the incident. The Youtube posting is dated Jan 10 2014. Nic refers to the incident as '5 months ago' in the first sentence of the interview so that dates the recording to within the past month.

Sorry, I didn't appreciate this is a fairly recent video.

As for suing him, Thai courts usually take into social status when making decisions. See the link below.

http://historyplanet.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/the-last-orientals-the-thai-sakdina-system/

So when a person with high social status sues a person with lower status, all sorts of court decisions and court orders will tend to lean towards the person with higher status. These could be decisions involving delays, bail, confiscation of property, court orders, monetary amounts, etc.

So, basically it may be a very long, difficult and expensive process to sue Don Praweenmet or his family. The fact that they easily were able to have their son walk free proves they have the money and connections to trump the legal system.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

God forbid anything happened to a child of mine or family member by some idiot I assure you he would not be walking the streets without any punishment for his deeds no matter how rich his family was..

I am sure this scumbag still has his gun and still acting like and idiot very easy to track a drunk and give some payback on a dark moonless night.

Edited by DiamondKing
  • Like 1

God forbid anything happened to a child of mine or family member by some idiot I assure you he would not be walking the streets without any punishment for his deeds no matter how rich his family was..

I am sure this scumbag still has his gun and still acting like and idiot very easy to track a drunk and give some payback on a dark moonless night.

Whenever rich kids here commit crimes they are usually removed from society temporarily by their families. Being shipped off overseas is popular. The official line shortly after the shooting was he was receiving psychological help and staying with his family in Bangkok in the family compound.

Comment on the youtube page says he goes to CMU, I wonder is he back there now or still in hiding?

Have to agree with diamondKing, don't think I could just let something like this slide...

Indeed, a professor came to the police station to help him when he was initially arrested. CMU professors, CMU being a state university, hold a very respected position in society here. So having such a person come to the station and vouch for you counts for a huge amount and probably got him out of there.

As Don Praweenmet was in his sixth year as a dentistry student which I think is his final year, I am sure his family are pushing very hard to find some way for him to graduate as holding a degree in dentistry from a respected state university will give him a lot of prestige within Thai society and thus protection from the law. Also being a CMU alumnus will give him access to that very powerful patronage network.

Don done the crime and I sure as hell hope get gets to do the time. Very sad story, and it never ceases to amaze me that there appears to be so many cowards whom resort to weapons when they get a kick in the arse. Which it seemed was called for. Its seems now that as a 'falang' you should not only never get involved in a Thai fight but also never render assistance to hurt parties after a fight.

Pretty sad state of affairs overall methinks. sad.png

Don done the crime and I sure as hell hope get gets to do the time. Very sad story, and it never ceases to amaze me that there appears to be so many cowards whom resort to weapons when they get a kick in the arse. Which it seemed was called for. Its seems now that as a 'falang' you should not only never get involved in a Thai fight but also never render assistance to hurt parties after a fight.

I think the only way for that to happen is if the Canadian media makes some noise, if he's back at Chiang Mai University that means it's already been swept

under the rug and all sins forgiven, no?

It's shocking to think that a Professor at CMU could possibly go and vouch for such a person...

I think the best we can hope for is that Don Praweenmeth does not get his medical licence, there will be no jail time and as a previous poster stated that a court case could be a long drawn out affair...

You're right, it is a sad state of affairs...

Some world we're living in huh?

• Like 1

Did the professor vouch for him and did he just walk free? Do you have evidence that this happened? What does the OP have to say about this?

Also, the connection to CMU does not give elite status in Thai society. It's a respected government university, but entrance tests are as strict as they can be in Thailand which means students from within the full range of Thai society study there. I know students from poor villages who study there. It's not Chulalongkorn.

I'm not supporting the piece of crap that fired the gun. However, stories like this tend to elicit 'facts' that are often far from the truth, but they do fit the assumptions of some posters.

Whenever rich kids here commit crimes they are usually removed from society temporarily by their families. Being shipped off overseas is popular. The official line shortly after the shooting was he was receiving psychological help and staying with his family in Bangkok in the family compound.

Sad, but being affluent and drunk (= "affluenza") pretty much excuses you from the consequences of your behavior in many parts of the world, including Texas.

For most people, conviction for vehicular manslaughter due to drunk driving warrants a lengthy sentence, but not in the case of Ethan Couch, a wealthy young man from the state of Texas.

The Keller, Tex., 16-year-old has a rare condition that a judge believes is best remedied with anything but dealing with the consequences for causing a DWI wreck that killed four people, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported.

Couch suffers from “affluenza,” according to his lawyers, a term which means that his wealthy parents pretty much let him get away with everything. The defense saved him from a 20-year sentence; State District Judge Jean Boyd bought it at his sentencing on Tuesday and gave Couch probation instead.

Eric Boyles, who lost his wife and daughter Holly and Shelby in the crash said it was Couch’s wealth that kept him from a harsher sentence.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/12/the-affluenza-defense-judge-rules-rich-kids-rich-kid-ness-makes-him-not-liable-for-deadly-drunk-driving-accident/

• Like 1

Very sad.... but also very Thai. Those that have it all are never brought to book.

So often I read of rich kids killing ordinary folk and under no circumstances do they ever pay their dues.

I wish Nic Brown all the best.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A certain injection + a cut in the right place of the spinal cord of the shooter, full anaesthesia, no pain...........no walkie walkie.

Guess you would also cut off a thiefs hand too, or stone a young woman for falling in love. Sick.

In this case I don't think rendering assistance had anything to do with the victim getting shot. Don shot wildly into the bar from his car with out care of who his bullets struck. So anyone who had just happened to walk into that bar that night just after the fight was over and not even knowing a fight had occurred could have been shot if they were in the place when Don returned with his weapon. This could happen at any bar at any time to anyone with out warning.

• Like 2

Did the professor vouch for him and did he just walk free? Do you have evidence that this happened? What does the OP have to say about this?

Also, the connection to CMU does not give elite status in Thai society. It's a respected government university, but entrance tests are as strict as they can be in Thailand which means students from within the full range of Thai society study there. I know students from poor villages who study there. It's not Chulalongkorn.

I'm not supporting the piece of crap that fired the gun. However, stories like this tend to elicit 'facts' that are often far from the truth, but they do fit the assumptions of some posters.

Yes, the presence of the professor at the police station to help Don Praweenmet was widely reported in the Thai press.

You have twisted what I said about CMU. By getting into CMU, you have gained access to an important patronage network which can assist you greatly if you have need of help. There are thousands of students at CMU and tens of thousands in the other top govt. universities, of course they don't all have "elite status". I never said or intimated that.

Yes, the presence of the professor at the police station to help Don Praweenmet was widely reported in the Thai press.

You have twisted what I said about CMU. By getting into CMU, you have gained access to an important patronage network which can assist you greatly if you have need of help. There are thousands of students at CMU and tens of thousands in the other top govt. universities, of course they don't all have "elite status". I never said or intimated that.

I don't doubt the professor attended the police station, but there are a number of reasons why he/she may have attended. What evidence do you have that he was there to 'vouch' for him and got him out of there? Could you link to one of the Thai press stories to corroborate this?

You actually said in post #18 "holding a degree in dentistry from a respected state university will give him a lot of prestige within Thai society and thus protection from the law". I don't think the second part is true, and holding a degree in dentistry in just about any country in the world gives someone prestige within their society. Thailand is no different.

Edited by Loaded

Truly sad story and Nic is taking it better than I would. This story and others like it is why I listen to my "fight or flight" instinct when in Thailand. If a fight kicks off anywhere around me, I beat feet out of there. Too many stories like Nic's to be anywhere near ground zero when the excrement hits the aircon unit.