Anyone any ideas on working online from Thailand?

We have something in common here. I tried teaching, didn't enjoy the methods used to try to engage students who were clearly not interested in learning English (or much else). Switched to online marketing and within a few months was earning enough each month to be able to give up teaching forever. No possibility of getting a Work Permit though.

However, this was back in 2005 when this business was in its infancy and it wasn't so difficult to find a niche. Times have changed, though. For the past few years I have made peanuts by comparison. Luckily I can survive on my retirement pension.

The only advice I can give you is to be wary of any schemes for making quick or easy money online. Most if not all are total scams, or the money you make wouldn't even cover the cost of your connection. Always research carefully and use Google and a product or website name with 'scam' or 'problem' Included.

But you can always get lucky and I wish you the best of it.

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Singing and dancing help to engage younger students by having fun and is particularly crucial when teaching Thai kids. I would suggest holding onto your job for now and exploring other opportunities. I teach adults online on a part time basis.Its interesting.It pays ok too especially if your in Thailand. I work on a website called www.italki.com Check it out.There's hundreds of teachers. When you start off it hard to find students but be patient and it will be a success...

how would one go about getting this on line work put on your work permit if one is resident in Thailand ?

YOU DON'T

Seems to me the best bet for teaching is to look at the language schools with older students where they pay to be taught (and thus have the incentive) as opposed to a regular school where the nippers couldn't care less. I certainly couldn't do the prancing about like a fool bit to entice the grey matter of a group of adolescent babies no matter how desperate for cash. whistling.gif

I like the online poker bit, but thought any form of gambling--bar gov' lott0--was forbidden here? How's about horse racing?

Singing and dancing help to engage younger students by having fun and is particularly crucial when teaching Thai kids. I would suggest holding onto your job for now and exploring other opportunities. I teach adults online on a part time basis.Its interesting.It pays ok too especially if your in Thailand. I work on a website called www.italki.com Check it out.There's hundreds of teachers. When you start off it hard to find students but be patient and it will be a success...

how would one go about getting this on line work put on your work permit if one is resident in Thailand ?

YOU DON'T

if thats the case dont your think the poster was being very silly advertising the name of the web site on an open Thai forum ?, further if someone is legitimately employed during the day by a school with a work permit and the school find out they are moon lighting, they could lose their jobs ?

I always thought the advice was if your working on line in Thailand without a WP, best you keep your mouth shut and dont tell anyone what your up to, but here we have someone advertising the fact and tell people exactly were he "works"

I aways supposed teachers had a degree of intelligence and common sense ? whistling.gif

• Like 2

After a career in ESL in Montreal, I got a Thai TEFL certificate and I started teaching in Chiang Mai. I resigned after 2 months and got my retirement visa. Why?

-- Most Thai students think they will never need English or they think they will be able to get through a whole life without it no problem.

-- Parents register their kids in a school where there are many falangs. They think it will help their future. The more falangs, the better.

-- School owners will try anything to make parents satisfied and kids interested. Kids are lazy so let have them entertained, mi pen rai. Money talks more than skills. Elementary or high school, no difference.

-- Thai EFL teachers give students whiteboards full of grammar to be remembered. Students cannot ask to go to the toilet in English while they are taught the present perfect tense and future progressive.

-- Falang teacher is the "second" teacher, there for his "native pronunciation". The real teacher is the Thai, the one who fills the whiteboard with irrelevant grammar points. She is the one who can follow up in Thai language.

-- The classroom of a falang is being attended whenever students feel like it. They can get in and out at will: they always have a good reason they don't have to explain (the falang monkey doesn't speak Thai anyway...) Thus discipline cannot be implemented and enforced.

-- Those who call TEFL in Thailand a rewarding profession never taught, or never taught where I did.

• Like 1

YOU DON'T

if thats the case dont your think the poster was being very silly advertising the name of the web site on an open Thai forum ?, further if someone is legitimately employed during the day by a school with a work permit and the school find out they are moon lighting, they could lose their jobs ?

I always thought the advice was if your working on line in Thailand without a WP, best you keep your mouth shut and dont tell anyone what your up to, but here we have someone advertising the fact and tell people exactly were he "works"

I aways supposed teachers had a degree of intelligence and common sense ? whistling.gif

To the best of collective knowledge, no foreigner has ever gotten in trouble for working online. I have spoken with Immigration about this issue as well and they have basically said they don't care.

You are beating a dead horse anyway as someone makes a similar comment every time this sort of discussion comes up on ThaiVisa.

• Like 1

To the best of collective knowledge, no foreigner has ever gotten in trouble for working online. I have spoken with Immigration about this issue as well and they have basically said they don't care.

You are beating a dead horse anyway as someone makes a similar comment every time this sort of discussion comes up on ThaiVisa.

Immigration wouldnt care....its not under their mandate, but the Dept of Labour might, and in fact if you care to research TV, Phuket DOL did actually come out a few ago and said working on line required a WP

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1175

edit...this statement actually came from Phuket immigration not the DOL..

Edited by Soutpeel

That's sometimes what you have to do when you are teaching in Thailand, you are expected to be an entertainer as well as a teacher, I used to play the guitar and keyboards, and let the children sing. It came back to me one day from another teacher that It was said that I spend more time playing games than teaching.

I approached the head of the English Dept about it, and she said that the children were happy and just to keep on doing what I was doing as long as the Students were learning. I actually spent about 25% of the lesson playing educational games with the students.

After a career in ESL in Montreal, I got a Thai TEFL certificate and I started teaching in Chiang Mai. I resigned after 2 months and got my retirement visa. Why?

-- Most Thai students think they will never need English or they think they will be able to get through a whole life without it no problem.

-- Parents register their kids in a school where there are many falangs. They think it will help their future. The more falangs, the better.

-- School owners will try anything to make parents satisfied and kids interested. Kids are lazy so let have them entertained, mi pen rai. Money talks more than skills. Elementary or high school, no difference.

-- Thai EFL teachers give students whiteboards full of grammar to be remembered. Students cannot ask to go to the toilet in English while they are taught the present perfect tense and future progressive.

-- Falang teacher is the "second" teacher, there for his "native pronunciation". The real teacher is the Thai, the one who fills the whiteboard with irrelevant grammar points. She is the one who can follow up in Thai language.

-- The classroom of a falang is being attended whenever students feel like it. They can get in and out at will: they always have a good reason they don't have to explain (the falang monkey doesn't speak Thai anyway...) Thus discipline cannot be implemented and enforced.

-- Those who call TEFL in Thailand a rewarding profession never taught, or never taught where I did.

You came to these assumptions after 2 months?

Perhaps you could have tried a few other schools before damning all of the students and all of Thailand's NES teachers ?

You ?

Perhaps you could have tried a few other schools before damning all of the students and all of Thailand's NES teachers ?

You never taught where I did. That's what I said.I came to these assumptions after 2 months and had 2 years to confirm my say.

And why should I try any other schools? I earn 4 times what they offer with my pension plan, just being seated by my pool. tongue.png

Edited by Gil

You never taught where I did. That's what I said.

And why should I try any other schools? I earn 4 times what they offer, just being seated by my pool. tongue.png

What's your new career? If you don't mind my asking.

If you can read I said I'm retired as a former high school teacher.

And why should I try any other schools? I earn 4 times what they offer, just being seated by my pool. tongue.png

retirement pension plan

Ah so you were just teaching "for fun" anyway.

You ?

You never taught where I did. That's what I said.I came to these assumptions after 2 months and had 2 years to confirm my say.

And why should I try any other schools? I earn 4 times what they offer with my pension plan, just being seated by my pool. tongue.png

I suggested that you might want to try a few other schools in order to formulate a more rounded opinion.

Congratulations on your retirement plan, I hope it all works out for you smile.png

ps. You actually said ' never taught, or never taught where I did'

Does this mean that teachers who haven't had the pleasure of working at your previous establishment, may as well have never taught?

Please elucidate me, but only after you've swam a few more laps of that lovely pool, old bean smile.png

Edited by chonabot

So you're the guy who taught those kids in Quebec not to speak English when an English speaking tourist is in trouble.

I've had flat tires in both Thailand and Quebec. In Thailand the mechanic wanted to speak English but couldn't and in Quebec the mechanic did speak English but wouldn't.

I sure am glad you stopped teaching in Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

So you're the guy who taught those kids in Quebec not to speak English when an English speaking tourist is in trouble.

I've had flat tires in both Thailand and Quebec. In Thailand the mechanic wanted to speak English but couldn't and in Quebec the mechanic did speak English but wouldn't.

I am the one, definitely.

The exact same done with French the other way around in Toronto.

We are both glad man! tongue.png

Edited by Gil

I am the one, definitely.

The exact same done with French the other way around in Toronto.

We are both glad man! tongue.png

Yup that's why I retired in Thailand. I have always preferred ignorance over intolerance.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Going into working online that you will fail because others did is a bad idea. Going into working online with the mindset that it is easy money is a bad idea.

Working online requires a lot of hard work, equal or more to what you put into becoming a teacher. Before success comes a lot of struggle so u better struggle with something you love.. ;)

OP, I've been in quite a few classrooms like you describe. I think it is important to stay animated in the sense of moving around, show and tell, etc. to help keep the kids' attention, but I have never seen what you are describing to an extreme.

Maybe you just need to move to another school? Ask to see some classes in action.

If you want to keep the little darlings awake and interested you have to make your lessons exiting. That means you have to be an entertainer. Children respond and think for themselves much better in an atmosphere that is not boring. Also they learn more.

OP, I've been in quite a few classrooms like you describe. I think it is important to stay animated in the sense of moving around, show and tell, etc. to help keep the kids' attention, but I have never seen what you are describing to an extreme.

Maybe you just need to move to another school? Ask to see some classes in action.

If you want to keep the little darlings awake and interested you have to make your lessons exiting. That means you have to be an entertainer. Children respond and think for themselves much better in an atmosphere that is not boring. Also they learn more.

And ye ain't got no guts if yall caint teach Thai chillen on your own. I don't need no Thai teacher. I can face 50, 7 year old hellions on my own.

That's what separates the men from those TEFL titty babies. A real deegreed wild west two pencil toting Annuban teacher. Stick your plastic pocket protector in, uncap yur bottle of head lice shampoo and charge......

• Like 2

"Hi all, Been Teaching English in Thailand for the past two years, not by choice but necessity long story, but the school am teaching in now, wants me to act like a clown in class, by singing, dancing like a fool and just acting stupid really, so the kids have fun laughing at me??? "

Is this about your students or you?

It's about him of course. I was an Englsh teacher for 13 years and probably 5 of those years was as a 'dancing white monkey', where the students have absolutely no respect for the monkey. Try working in the Thai educational system and you'll experience that one has to look after oneself.

There are many opportunities to escape this dead-end vocation. I started a business called write-it-right - translation and editing which had possibilities but was not for me.

Find something that uses your talents. I studied Pure Maths at university so bought a lot of poker books and learned how to play. Online poker is legal in Thailand and actually Thailand is the no. 6 country in the world at poker winnings, due to all the professionals that live here, especially after "Black Friday" when the USA banned it. I did this full time for a while and earned at least twice what I got for teaching, and in my own time in my underpants(sometimes).

Teaching is for youngsters who are doing it to fill some time. Very rare to find someone who has done it for 10 years and still loves it. Also, no job for anyone with family commitments like I have - kids in private school etc.

AS someone else suggested, learn to speak/read/write Thai as it really increases your earning power and opportunities here, of course.

I have a couple of friends who do the online dating stuff, getting half the sinsod when they match a pair.

Excellent career advice.Give up a reputable career like teaching and start gambling!! Or get involved in online dating sites...maybe he could start being a drug mule too.Heard there's good money in that!!!
TEFL isn't a career. Poker isn't gambling. Well it is a little, but not if you know what you're doing. I compare it to being a stockbroker.

Rather irresponsible to suggest doing something illegal, especially running drugs in Thailand.

^

^

^

I am working online, I get money from google adsense around 40$ per month for 2 website,if i could have 10 website ,probably i can have 100$+ perper month du you belive me?

I believe you but can you live on that amount?

I don't believe that :)

^

^

^

I am working online, I get money from google adsense around 40$ per month for 2 website,if i could have 10 website ,probably i can have 100$+ perper month du you belive me?

So you make $40 per month with 2 websites, but only $10 per month average if you had 10? Why is that and why aren't you building more sites anyway? $40 or 1300 baht doesn't go very far...

^

^

^

So you make $40 per month with 2 websites, but only $10 per month average if you had 10? Why is that and why aren't you building more sites anyway? $40 or 1300 baht doesn't go very far...

Adsense works pretty well with the 'pay per click' methodology it employs.

The trick is to get a high volume of traffic in the first place, thereafter the links will be clicked more often.

You can earn thousands, but I'm hoping this chap has another form of income :)

Why are so many wasting time giving advice and asking questions about teaching?????

The Op wants advice about working online.

That's all.

Stay on topic.

It's not about you.

This could be a valuable thread to some who do not want to teach.

I wondered about that.

What's happened to the advice that you need a work permit and a correct visa to work on line? It's considered employment. Yet another strange requirement.

I remember some poor guy got busted as it was presumed his maid spoke to Immigration, and he was deported.

Why are so many wasting time giving advice and asking questions about teaching?????

The Op wants advice about working online.

That's all.

Stay on topic.

It's not about you.

This could be a valuable thread to some who do not want to teach.

Whilst I tend to agree that the thread has gone awry, myself to blame partially, the OP did state and ask for opinions about teaching in his opening gambit.

I've offered advice on both and now I can sleep soundly as a result.

I don't understand how my colleges are so happy in these teaching roles? Can someone explain? - One rests one's case m'lud...

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

I just new from adsense working,but i know someone can get more 1,000$ per month,they from Thai. We have forum to talk about this for only Thaipeople.I dont know how its work,they not tell me. But i think if i can make many website and become popular search engine,i will get many click from ads.last month i got 50$ end of next month i can take money out around 120$ i happy for that. we not work on it for main job. we just make for fun,but get real money,also you can earn from amazone or other things about make mobey online. Good luck.

• Like 1