EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: People's revolution 'will win'

Lite Beer

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
People's revolution 'will win'
Kornchanok Raksaseri
The Sunday Nation:

30224059-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- PROTEST LEADER SUTHEP SEES VICTORY, SAYS HE DOESN'T WANT A COUP AND THE PEOPLE, NOT HIM, MUST DECIDE FUTURE

TWO DAYS before the "Shutdown", People's Democratic Reform Committee secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban felt cosy and relaxed.

On Children's Day - yesterday - he briefly had noodles for lunch and rushed to take pictures with admirers, a lot of who were children, lining up in front of the noodle shop.

"I am pretty sure today that we won't lose the fight - I just don't know how we will win," he said.

Suthep took a break from examining three bullets found at the PDRC rally site near Khok Wua Intersection earlier in the morning and writing his plan for the day and gave an exclusive interview to Nation Group in the lobby of an underground floor of Baan Dinso Hotel. This was near a corner of Democracy Monument, the PDRC rally site. But security in front of the hotel was tight.

Despite having fought on the street against the Yingluck government since the end of October, the 64-year-old veteran politician refused to give up - even if the government decides to postpone the election.

However, he vowed to retreat if there is serious violence.

"If it becomes a civil war, I will give up. People's life is precious for me," he said. "If someone instigates a civil war, I will tell the people to go home."

Suthep said he had no worry but has prepared tight security measures to protect protesters for the rallies. Among the seven main rally sites from Monday, he said sensitive spots would be at Victory Monument and Lat Phrao intersection.

He will today distribute prayer scripts for the protesters and he has told them to stay calm and peaceful if there is a crackdown.

1524662_10152133682498421_1603365479_n.j

He revealed that fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra had sent some people to talk, but he refused to elaborate saying he would not negotiate and he could not do so as only the people - not him - could decide.

On relations with Thaksin, Suthep said his rival had asked him many times to join his party but he refused. Meanwhile, the trust was broken when Thaksin missed an appointment when, as political opponents, they had agreed to meet with a very prominent person before the military coup in 2006.

Although he did not rule out the possibility of a coup, Suthep said he did not want it.

"I want to see a people's revolution, a peaceful one," he said.

"The military would have to work hard if it stages a coup. Our society, our country has changed. Foreign countries, outside communities would not accept it [a coup]. The military would face difficulty working. But in terms of government officials, the military, police or civil servants can join with the people in a people's revolution. Foreign countries have no right to interfere as this is a matter for the people," he said.

Suthep denied close links or support by the military. He said no soldier took part in strategic planning.

He said the protesters had lost patience with the "Thaksin regime". They had stopped asking him when the fight would end and insisted on fighting until they win. But no matter if the PDRC wins or loses this battle, Suthep sees it as a victory as the people have gained a sense of political responsibility in their minds. People, including children, are no longer ignorant, he feels.

"The people have realised that they, all together, have to be responsible for the country. That thought has been on their minds already and it will remain on their minds," he said.

He recalled his plan when he was still working on Democrat Party 'Reveal the Truth' rallies. He expected that people would lose patience with the "Thaksin regime" and that this would come in mid-2014. However, the government's push for an amnesty bill sped up the process earlier than he had anticipated.

Suthep said there would not be an election on February 2 - or if efforts were made to go ahead with it, there would be many vacant MP seats in Bangkok and the South.

"With such MP seat vacancies, the election would be useless as the House would not be able to convene," he said, because it would lack the required number of MPs for a legal quorum. Suthep was confident about the PDRC's proposals on national reform.

He refused any compromise or negotiation. Once the government could no longer function, people would become sovereign holders of power and their orders would become law.

"The people's assembly will exclude politicians. Otherwise, you won't be able to change laws on elections, political parties and corruption," Suthep said, noting that people who take part in the assembly must be banned from politics for five years.

"The standard of Thai politics would be higher. Politicians will no longer dare to do things without caring for the people," he said.

According to the reform plan, anyone will be able to petition a corruption case in court and such cases would have no statute of limitations. Elections must be free and fair, and people want power decentralised and would not accept corrupt policies. The national police would have to be restructured. These were priorities that must be finished within a year or 18 months, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-12

• Like 2

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"But no matter if the PDRC wins or loses this battle, Suthep sees it as a victory as the people have gained a sense of political responsibility in their minds."

Looks like Suthep is considering the possibility that the protests can't topple the shinaclan and that there will be no coup. Then he of course still wins in his own view. But the people got that sense of political responsibility with previous mass protests as well. So there's no special win there.

The details of the reform plan are a joke:

"Elections must be free and fair, and people want power decentralised and would not accept corrupt policies."

Only the "decentralised power" bit sounds new and interesting.

• Like 2

Throughout history, the people whether in a peaceful or otherwise protest, have changed the course of nations , Thailand is no different , as we've seen in 1992, the question will always remain at the begging of these protests whether the people power has enough support to win the day , bearing in mind if they lose they most likely return to fight another day, that is what Mr Suthep must determine, however until the crunch time comes you can never tell. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

"But no matter if the PDRC wins or loses this battle, Suthep sees it as a victory as the people have gained a sense of political responsibility in their minds."

Looks like Suthep is considering the possibility that the protests can't topple the shinaclan and that there will be no coup. Then he of course still wins in his own view. But the people got that sense of political responsibility with previous mass protests as well. So there's no special win there.

The details of the reform plan are a joke:

"Elections must be free and fair, and people want power decentralised and would not accept corrupt policies."

Only the "decentralised power" bit sounds new and interesting.

no not new...they speak about them since the beginning.

That the governors get elected instead of appointed.....Which is really a good idea.

• Like 1

I admire his vision, despite his chequered past. I can't see Monday not being violent. Thailand has a history of getting things done violently, and I can't see how change can be done peacefully. So we shall see.One thing is clear. Thaksin won't give up, no matter how badly things are stacked up against him, so i cannot see it ending peacefully.All those who think the election should go ahead and rattle on about upholding the law/democracy/etc, obviously have no idea how things work on Thailand. It really isn't as simple as that.

Admire?

He could be bought in a moment.

I think he already has.

• Like 2

Dear Mr Suthep, please answer me 1 question:

- If you want reforms so badly, why did you not implement them while you were PM and Vice-PM with Abhisit for 3 years?

Yours sincerely.

They did make some reforms. They couldn't rewrite the constitution, as the red shirts wouldn't allow it or accept it.

Also, they were in power for 2 years and many months were taken up dealing with protests. They also had to didn't have full control, as they had to deal with their coalition partners.

Sent from my phone ...

I see. How do you explain the absence of action against the rampant corruption in Khun Suthep's power basis of Surat Thani-Krabi-Phuket?

These places did not have protests and were under Democrat control. Why did it take the PTP to finally do something in the past year. Only now has some progress been made against the transportation cartel of Phuket. Why didn't Suthep and his party not stop the encroachment on the National park when it started during his administration? Why didn't the Democrat administration take any action against the illegal property developments on Phuket?

U ask silly questions of which u know the answer.

Btw, one cartel in phuket will be changed only in another one.

It really does not matter in the country of self. It really does not.

• Like 1

Dear Mr Suthep, please answer me 1 question:

- If you want reforms so badly, why did you not implement them while you were PM and Vice-PM with Abhisit for 3 years?

Yours sincerely.

They did make some reforms. They couldn't rewrite the constitution, as the red shirts wouldn't allow it or accept it.

Also, they were in power for 2 years and many months were taken up dealing with protests. They also had to didn't have full control, as they had to deal with their coalition partners.

Sent from my phone ...

Talk of rewriting the whole thing was no more than half hearted. I thought the Democrats were pretty happy with the 2007 constitution bar a few relatively minor things, which they were able to amend in the end. The two main "reforms" were the change the electoral system (partly to benefit the coalition parties, and increasing number of party list seats which they believed would help them) and the amendment of section 190 - which the court recently decided PT weren't allowed to further amend.

Not sure about the red shirts (why would red shirt opposition stop them from rewriting it anyway?) but PAD certainly opposed amendments: http://antithaksin.wordpress.com/2009/09/09/peoples-alliance-to-launch-signature-campaign-against-charter-rewrite/ In fact they were demanding Abhisit step down for trying to pass the amendments.

‘Some 17 million people supported the 2007 constitution,’ Sonthi said. ‘If the government wants to amend it, they should ask the permission of those 17 million people.’

‘These amendments are no good for the people. They are just good for the politicians,’ Sonthi said.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/42930/yellow-shirts-turn-on-abhisit/

More here on the BKK Post's criticism of the PAD for their opposition to constitutional amendments: http://asiancorrespondent.com/42957/is-the-bangkok-post-being-unfair-to-the-pad/

"BANGKOK: -- PROTEST LEADER SUTHEP SEES VICTORY, SAYS HE DOESN'T WANT A COUP AND THE PEOPLE, NOT HIM, MUST DECIDE FUTURE"

How about unobstructed elections to let the people decide the future?

Agreed - how about not beating up opposition canvassers in Chiang Mai and areas in the North East?

• Like 1

This is the first time he has mentioned peace in his speach.

It is the first time also he has made sense with his demands and not just focused on the Shin family. Focusing on the people of Thailand.

He spoke about peace and nonviolence from the beginning but it was never related in foreign language press!

He revealed his plan LONG time ago but... same => it was never related in foreign language press!

• Like 1