Thai Army chief calls urgent Top Five meeting‏

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they are meeting to discuss the low turnout?

Who needs a big turnout when the police are doing NOTHING to stop it. I could get some boy scouts to do the same thing. The ploy is obvious - let it run it's course. They are hoping for a backlash from the public. They are hoping for unseen hands to carry out violence to put protesters off of protesting.

What can the police do? The army have instructed them not to use any 'violence' and that can be taken to read anything that could in any way prevent the demonstrators doing exactly what they want.

It was reported that the police were planning to stop trucks entering any protest areas if they had equipment to be used for stages etc.

Looking out the front of my place, they didn't do a very good job.

Who needs a big turnout when the police are doing NOTHING to stop it. I could get some boy scouts to do the same thing. The ploy is obvious - let it run it's course. They are hoping for a backlash from the public. They are hoping for unseen hands to carry out violence to put protesters off of protesting.

Take a look at the pics here. Hardly a low turnout:

https://twitter.com/georgebkk

Besides they achieved the objective of disrupting normal activities, the turnout is far from 6,000,000 Suthep asked to come...

In any case, still things are pacific, let's pray will keep as that.

Might be a good idea to link to ACTUAL pictures, rather than a general entry page.

I wouldn't mind seeing the pictures, but I have no intention of hunting for them.

Channel News Asia has reported that news of this meeting has naturally fueled even more rumours of an impending coup but it doesn't take much especially in such a volatile atmosphere.

Around NEP it looks so dead, even for a Monday morning, as if the coup is already on.

Most shops, banks, stores, etc open for business as usual though.

Mosey on down to the Asoke intersection. Not so dead.

Obviously whether or not today's protests are considered to have a low turnout is relative. In this case, relative to what Suthep et al have promised, which is, I seem to recall, a million+ (He definitely said 400,000 were coming from Thonburi at the weekend).

Now, if you take a look, an estimate on the website you linked to was that a) the largest crowd at mid-day was at Asoke B) this crowd was estimated to be 15,000.

Even if we accept a margin of error of 40% (generous) then if Asoke has 25,000 people and is the biggest crowd, then the other 6 intersections will not have more than 120,000 between them. Round this up and we have 150,000 people. Even accepting that there will be some people on their way, then it's difficult to accept a figure higher than 200,000 people at present. Given that this is day one, where you would expect enthusiasm to be at its highest and the 'show of force' to be at its greatest, it's reasonable to say, given Suthep's promised MASSES:

This is a low turnout.

Even if we accept that there are currently 200,000 in the 7 locations, then naturally this will dwindle as the protests go on, due to work commitments, fatigue, loss of impetus and so on.

This is not to say that this is a low turnout for a protest. It's pretty high, actually. But measured against Suthep's own promises, it ranks pretty close to pitiful unless it expands somewhat over the next few days.

The problem if it doesn't is that Bangkokians (& the government workers, who are relocating anyway) can probably quite effectively ride the wave. No need for violence, which will be nice.

• Like 2

Obviously whether or not today's protests are considered to have a low turnout is relative. In this case, relative to what Suthep et al have promised, which is, I seem to recall, a million+ (He definitely said 400,000 were coming from Thonburi at the weekend).

Now, if you take a look, an estimate on the website you linked to was that a) the largest crowd at mid-day was at Asoke cool.png this crowd was estimated to be 15,000.

Even if we accept a margin of error of 40% (generous) then if Asoke has 25,000 people and is the biggest crowd, then the other 6 intersections will not have more than 120,000 between them. Round this up and we have 150,000 people. Even accepting that there will be some people on their way, then it's difficult to accept a figure higher than 200,000 people at present. Given that this is day one, where you would expect enthusiasm to be at its highest and the 'show of force' to be at its greatest, it's reasonable to say, given Suthep's promised MASSES:

This is a low turnout.

Even if we accept that there are currently 200,000 in the 7 locations, then naturally this will dwindle as the protests go on, due to work commitments, fatigue, loss of impetus and so on.

This is not to say that this is a low turnout for a protest. It's pretty high, actually. But measured against Suthep's own promises, it ranks pretty close to pitiful unless it expands somewhat over the next few days.

The problem if it doesn't is that Bangkokians (& the government workers, who are relocating anyway) can probably quite effectively ride the wave. No need for violence, which will be nice.

I would consider 15,000 at Asoke to be a disappointing show since the last protest there was probably at most 10,000.... and they dispersed most of the people at the main protest site to these other sites so I would have expected more than 15,000 on the first day at least.

Might be a good idea to link to ACTUAL pictures, rather than a general entry page.

I wouldn't mind seeing the pictures, but I have no intention of hunting for them.

Don't be lazy. It's a simple click and you'll see all the pics. Quite a turn out.

Who's in this Top 5 officers? Anyone know? Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well the PM is the defense minister, with vast experience in this field, served in the forces, (school maybe) she has to be present. You cannot leave out a high ranking person. She has proven background on how to run a non corrupt government, and is loved by all. NOT NOT

In a normal democracy the DM would be a key player in a situation like this. To have a PM/DM dual role was desperate enough in the good times but in the bad times it's just plain bad governance.

Anyone got INDEPENDANT official numbers on todays turnout?

Don't be lazy. It's a simple click and you'll see all the pics. Quite a turn out.

While I agree it is just a simple click, we will have to agree to disagree on the size of the turnout.

I did not think it was that substantial after all the build-up. whistling.gif

Oxymoron alert!!!

Caution!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, I couldn't give you an exact figure but having spent time today observing the crowds at Ladprao intersection, Pathumwan, Asok and Lumpini today I would say the crowds were big and from every demographic group. There were certainly more people today at the protest venues than I have seen at any protest held on a weekday since I first arrived here in September 1997. Today there were lots of southerners and Bangkokians in th crowds, but surprisingly a large number of people from the north-east. Well over 200 buses from the NE (Surin, Korat, Buriram, etc.) parked on the south side of the rally at Ladprao intersection.

Other observations:

The majority of people were good-natured and sober during the day. Can't say if the mood will be different late at night.

A lazy day for the police. Very, very few (at least in uniform) and I actually counted more men in military uniforms, although I can honestly say that I have only seen about 30 soldiers and 10 policemen throughout the areas I visited today. Expected to see more, so doubtless they have been sitting elsewhere snoozing in their white police vans.

There was a carnival atmosphere about today, but it is hard to see that continuing every day this week without a spark of some sort which gives people the feeling that they are close to victory. I can see less people turning out tomorrow when the novelty of today wears off tomorrow morning.

What will tomorrow bring?

• Like 1

In a normal democracy the DM would be a key player in a situation like this. To have a PM/DM dual role was desperate enough in the good times but in the bad times it's just plain bad governance.

Why even bring up something as unfathomable as normal democracy here

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, I couldn't give you an exact figure but having spent time today observing the crowds at Ladprao intersection, Pathumwan, Asok and Lumpini today I would say the crowds were big and from every demographic group. There were certainly more people today at the protest venues than I have seen at any protest held on a weekday since I first arrived here in September 1997. Today there were lots of southerners and Bangkokians in th crowds, but surprisingly a large number of people from the north-east. Well over 200 buses from the NE (Surin, Korat, Buriram, etc.) parked on the south side of the rally at Ladprao intersection.

Other observations:

The majority of people were good-natured and sober during the day. Can't say if the mood will be different late at night.

A lazy day for the police. Very, very few (at least in uniform) and I actually counted more men in military uniforms, although I can honestly say that I have only seen about 30 soldiers and 10 policemen throughout the areas I visited today. Expected to see more, so doubtless they have been sitting elsewhere snoozing in their white police vans.

There was a carnival atmosphere about today, but it is hard to see that continuing every day this week without a spark of some sort which gives people the feeling that they are close to victory. I can see less people turning out tomorrow when the novelty of today wears off tomorrow morning.

What will tomorrow bring?

Hopefully a violence free night, a cool morning with bright blue skies, a carnival atmosphere and some common sense.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app