Thai protesters to seize stock market‏

webfact

Protesters to seize stock market‏

BANGKOK: -- The Network of Students and People for Thailand’s Reform has threatened to seize the Securities Exchange of Thailand or the Thai stock market on Wednesday if caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra does not resign by then.

Mr Nitithorn Lamlua, advisor of the NSPTR which is the hard-core wing of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee, said Sunday, also threatened to close down the operations of Aeronautical Centre which controls air traffic to prevent any planes from leaving the country.

In retaliation against Capo’s ordering declaring several road intersections off-limits to protesters, Nitithorn said that it was necessary to close down the operations of Capo by cutting off water and power supplies to its head office at the government complex in Chaeng Wattana.

He, however, said that the main task of NSPTR is to continue its siege of the Government House.

Nitithorn also urged business operators to join the shutdown and to decide quickly before Wednesday when protesters will seize the stock market.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/protesters-seize-stock-market%E2%80%8F/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-13

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And as everyone can see, if not blind, both sides have their extremist wings, wishing to make what they want, as they want, no matter what.

Not a surprise to me and many others. But for who is all sided, they are just kids... Let them play. Until they will broken the big toy.

• Like 1

"...threatened to close down the operations of Aeronautical Centre which controls air traffic to prevent any planes from leaving the country."

This is not really news. Everyone involved seems to be adept at "closing down" everything. Now, if they found some way to open their minds and come up with viable solutions to social and political situations, that would be news. Don't hold your breath. As long as saving face is the main goal of both sides, this society will never progress past the dark ages.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 2

The hardcore group's threats are going beyond mere protesting and into the realms of " doing what the f- we like and f- the consequences because we don't give a f-. TIT and that's the way it's always been"

Sad to say but if they force their way take over the air traffic control with no regard for the risks involved with real people's lives then they've shown themselves to be no less a bunch of thugs than the people they abhor and I for one would applaud the police giving them fair warning to leave, informing them of the consequences and then having the gloves taken off and cracking some heads. Though of course that won't happen.

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

Aerothai has a redundant control centre anyway.....

recall when they had to shutdown everything because of an electric failure and the redundant electric didn't work and the redundant control center had no one stay there and no link crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

And for years (hope that is fixed now) the Suvanabhumi installation didn't work at all so they had to link another signal (Don Muang??), (don't forget Yinglucks beautiful sister (former PM Somchais wife) sold almost everything for the new airport).

Aerothai has a redundant control centre anyway.....

recall when they had to shutdown everything because of an electric failure and the redundant electric didn't work and the redundant control center had no one stay there and no link crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

And for years (hope that is fixed now) the Suvanabhumi installation didn't work at all so they had to link another signal (Don Muang??), (don't forget Yinglucks beautiful sister (former PM Somchais wife) sold almost everything for the new airport).

Hah, yes, but it's always the way - no-one properly tests a redundant centre until you really need it, as the budget was cut originally in order for the primary to work properly. An extra budget was granted and a lot of work went on to prove it could function properly now.

Any attempt to shut down air travel will be met with military intervention.

That's the line that was drawn by the military some time ago.

Shouldn't that be the duty of the police?

Who cares, as long as they are protected?.....Personally though, I would prefer the military to guard these installations....at least they have some discipline.

Who cares, as long as they are protected?.....Personally though, I would prefer the military to guard these installations....at least they have some discipline.

Since Aerothai also co-ordinate any RTAF movements in and out of BKK airspace - yes, it's in their best interest.

The minority acting in the deeds of the so called majority. Oh how intellectual you are all acting. Can't see anyone but yourselves and Suthep. How much is he paying you guys. Take everything guys, in fact your possibly playing further into the hands of the PTP...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I haven't seen the police doing their duty so far have you? Quick bit of push and shove and they revert to type and back off leaving the protesters in control. Pathetic in the extreme and a travesty of the word 'police'.

yes, please. Many foreigners, and some thai, will be very happy with weaker baht.

after the stock market, please do occupy airports.

BTW capitalism, with all it's stock markets, stinks.

While I agree with you that a weaker Baht would benefit all of us foreigners here in Thailand, you really contradicted yourself by saying that Capitalism stinks (with all the stock markets). If you want a weaker Baht then you are talking in a capitalist way! You want to see the exchange rate go back to how it used to be.. (ie: with Capitalist countries strong and poorer countries weak, so that you can 'take advantage' of the cheaper life-style). This in itself is a very capitalist way of thinking.

I am not saying that this way of thought is wrong,,, but you did contradict yourself by wanting a capitalist thing to happen, yet you slam the stock exchange system that gives you the benefit that you are seeking for !!

I am a pure capitalist.

However, I am totally against Suthep, the protests, the violence he tries so hard to instigate, the taking over of government buildings or airports... And this even if it means a much much much stronger baht.

It is a question of conscience I guess...

;)

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes, please. Many foreigners, and some thai, will be very happy with weaker baht.

after the stock market, please do occupy airports.

BTW capitalism, with all it's stock markets, stinks.

Ah yes BUT capitalism PAYS YOU. Think before you complain but that IS an English genetic trait isn't it?

Closing down THAILAND is bad for all Thais not just the poor. And it will be bad for foreigners too.. Your memory span is limited as MANY people with views supporting Reds and Yellows have stated that prices will rise on imports, electricity, gas and fuels which are all imported.

there are so many ramifications.

This is not a good thing and I like many here wish for a settlement but given all sides are unwilling to talk and all sides are as bad as each other when it comes to graft and corruption, there are steamy times ahead.

• Like 2

i am very keen to know the real protester turnout numbers ? any ideas ? the turnout in numbers, imo will dictate if this is just a small minority on a personal crusade ,at a huge cost to the country .....shutting down the stock exchange <deleted> ? shame on the military for not acting on the best interest of the people , the dems are becoming a laughing stock ..