Apartment Rental Hell Over Deposit

I'd just like to ask you guys, what you make of this situation and what if anything can be done about it.

To cut a long story short, the Mrs went apartment hunting for us both and found what she thought to be a nice suitable place.

She decided it was okay for us and asked what she needed to pay. The reception lady told her she had to pay 1000 baht and the remainder when she signed the contract on moving in day.

The Mrs was so pleased with the place she said never mind I will pay the full whack and so she did and the receptionist gave her a small paper receipt.

I got to view the place yesterday and it's far from suitable. It's too small and on the 5th floor with no lift.

So I asked her to get her money back, thinking we would only lose 1000 baht but the receptionist was having none of it and said we couldn't get anything back.

I politely asked her to reconsider and reminded her that no contract has been signed and the only legal binding document between them was a small paper receipt which doesn't state any policy or terms of business.

I asked to speak to the boss and she said she would call her. After a very short conversation she came back and said the boss is willing to give you back 3000 baht only, which means we will lose 5000 baht.

So my question to you all is, can they get away with this without a signed contract and if not what should we do to solve this in a calm professional manor? Get the police involved? It seems like they're stealing our money to me.

Any sensible advice appreciated.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually when renting you need to pay first months rent, last month's rent and 1 month deposit. So if all of that was only 8,000 baht, you must have found a bargain.

Take the 3k loss and don't pay any money ever until you sign the contract. She didn't have to put a deposit down to hold it. You should have gone together since you are the one that objected to the place. She seemed to think it was ok, but you didn't, so you pay up and apologize to your wife for making her life more difficult.

I love showing my wife posts like this, it makes her appreciate me even more.

• Like 1

How's about just stay there for a month and move into the new place after? Saying that, if you've soured it with the owner, you'll likely not get deposit back anyhow. Try and sweet-talk them into giving you half, so 4,000 baht.

I think the lack of communication with your wife was the problem. You knew she was looking at places. You both most likely have a cell phone. You should have said if you find a place call me. Then ask a few basic questions like how much? What is the size? What floor is it on? If you don't like any answers let her know you need to see it before a deposit is left. Just take what they offered you and move on

• Like 1

From my experience so far in Thailand, contracts don't seen to matter, The bathroom sink in my previous apartment fell of the wall and narrowly missed my foot, I went to the Managers office thinking he would be concerned about my narrow escape from injury but instead he slapped a 800 Baht fee to replace the sink lol I stood strong and eventually he turn a blind eye to the charge, so persistent does pay off in Thailand....

Edited by lmfao
  • Like 1

I think the lack of communication with your wife was the problem. You knew she was looking at places. You both most likely have a cell phone. You should have said if you find a place call me. Then ask a few basic questions like how much? What is the size? What floor is it on? If you don't like any answers let her know you need to see it before a deposit is left. Just take what they offered you and move on

Good ol' Monday morning quarterbacking! One of our most beloved TV sports.

It's actually a good lesson for you to learn.

Rule 1

Never allow a Thai to do anything on their own, especially when it affects you.

Rule 2

Never let your Thai woman buy (or arrange a purchase) anything on your behalf.

I learnt that my first week here.

Really that's a broad statement, My Thai girlfriend is really good with money and is a very capable when it comes to decision making, much better than most of my previous non Thai girlfriends but she works in management... maybe I just got lucky coffee1.gif

Mine has a good business head also. Shouldn't be but does.

• Like 1

It's a deposit. Why your wife would offer to pay more, especially when you had not inspected and when you did so you immediately found it unsuitable... Well, that must be some other story. Is the gal who took the money and whoever (if anybody other than her BF) she talked to on the phone taking advantage? Yes. Will they (or she) take your money, split it up (or keep it for herself), never report it to the owner? Of course. Still, deposit is a deposit. Get back what you can and lesson learned. ...

But, like a couple others here, I am also somewhat *surprised*. What Thai woman offers to remit more to, of all types, property managers? And remits substantially more. You having not even seen the place. No phone call first. ...

Edited by Wordworx
  • Like 1

Man, you take your 3000 THB and forget them immediately.

What can you do else?

If you go to the police they don't care at all or if you get bad luck you have to pay to them more with any reason.

If you go to lawyers they will laugh and will ask 15 000 THB in advance.

The landlord already decided about your refund (3000) so won't loose face to change.

Other way I guess "she" couldn't pay so quickly like this if she had to spend her own money. And how did you get this idea to send "her" to find apartment for you?