Tukcom assistants now charging for their time

PattayaPhom

Last night four Middle Eastern tourists spent 15-20 minutes at one booth. One guy purchased something but his friends didn't, The girl assistant flew into a rage screaming she is charging 100 baht for her time, taking it from the change of the guy that bought something. Lots of screaming by her with threats of calling the police. The guys composed themselves very well but what is it coming to when if you don't buy what you have looked at the assistant resorts to violence and extortion.

Wow.

I have heard of this minor trend in the west, of some LARGE stores demanding a "looking fee" if no purchase (but CLEARLY warned about before you enter the store). This is because many people test out products at stores only to decide what product to buy ONLINE and cheaper. You can't blame those stores.

But it sounds like what you saw at Tukcom was indeed a scam.

You can't do that unless you clearly inform people beforehand, and then customers would just walk to ANOTHER booth.

Imagine if real estate agents start charging a " looking fee " ?ohmy.png

Edited by Asiantravel

Wow.

I have heard of this minor trend in the west, of some LARGE stores demanding a "looking fee" if no purchase (but CLEARLY warned about before you enter the store). This is because many people test out products at stores only to decide what product to buy ONLINE and cheaper. You can't blame those stores.

You can't do that unless you clearly inform people beforehand, and then customers would just walk to ANOTHER booth.

They do in some countries. I know they do in Ecuador, an hourly rate I recall. In Pattaya, I had a clerk who showed me a condo, put her hand out and say, you know, this is a SERVICE business ...

Edited by Jingthing

Wow.

They do in some countries. I know they do in Ecuador, an hourly rate I recall. In Pattaya, I had a clerk who showed me a condo, put her hand out and say, you know, this is a SERVICE business ...

aah but what kind of service....?

Wow.

aah but what kind of service....?

Surly.

Last night four Middle Eastern tourists spent 15-20 minutes at one booth. One guy purchased something but his friends didn't ...

And you were standing there for half an hour monitoring everything they said and did, who paid what and what change was returned? How convenient. Now pull the other one.

• Like 1

This happened twice today at Tukcom. I was looking for an (older) iPhone 4S with system 6.xx. I explained very clearly using the simplest language and writing notes. Each time someone fetched the new iPhone 4s with (the abominable) iOS7. So I think 1 baht/hour is a bit beyond the shop clerks' worth.

I think this might be a trend there and perhaps they're cooperating with each other so that you're stuck with it.

I say this because now I recall weeks ago a loud discussion that I overheard along similar lines. A customer asked for something he thought was a free service, and the clerk was doing a big lecture about a charge was due and started this speil about other examples in society where you pay for service. It almost sounded like from a sales script. Now I don't know whether this scene was before or after the service was rendered, and what the service was. I can understand being charged for an ACTUAL service on a phone especially if informed in advance.

Edited by Jingthing

Three days ago I popped in there for some CR2032 batteries, Pointing at a blister pack of two I asked an assistant How much? -100baht. For the 2? -Each. No thanks and walked off... I checked UK prices over lunch, Argos do two Duracell for 4 quid or six Panasonic for 7 pounds. Tukcom booth had no-mark crap at UK prices. I was going to bite the bullet and go back to Tukcom when i tried a Big Camera store in Big C, 39baht for Energiser. I got four. No more Tukcom for me, i don't haggle and i'll get a reference price point before shopping next time. Even for some bloody batteries! Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

& 19p (10B) from Digikey tongue.png

• Like 1

I am tired of all the Thai scams over and over again in all areas of daily life. From motor bike taxi, to laundry, to food, to the beach, anything that is not in big box stores. I saw someone selling the same exact beach chair I purchased two week ago in back of the big c for 500 b and the Thai sold at special discounted price to this German guy for 1,200 b then he tried to tell me not same and I told him where he bought it. Enterprising perhaps but just sucks on every little thing have to pay attention.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think this might be a trend there and perhaps they're cooperating with each other so that you're stuck with it.

I say this because now I recall weeks ago a loud discussion that I overheard along similar lines. A customer asked for something he thought was a free service, and the clerk was doing a big lecture about a charge was due and started this speil about other examples in society where you pay for service. It almost sounded like from a sales script. Now I don't know whether this scene was before or after the service was rendered, and what the service was. I can understand being charged for an ACTUAL service on a phone especially if informed in advance.

Why put up with the hostility and nastiness that thainess is becoming when you can just go to bigc or tesco and buy from a western managed outlet selling the same gear for cheaper prices?

DD13

I agree....whenever I have asked about a product in the electrical department at Big C the staff

have always been very helpful....I no longer buy anything from "Tat".com

As an aside.....I am told that the Arab customers will always pay their bills....good on them

Edited by Phil Conners
Fixed botched quote

Its the same with clothes. I prefer BigC, where I can look at my leisure, try on and then buy a nice shirt or T-shirt etc for less than the crap on those stalls or in Mike Shopping Mall etc where you can't look at your leisure, can't really try on and risk rude, aggressive, nasty behaviour. Only very rarely do i buy from the stalls when i have something very specific, I know the price and negotiate in Thai and as I am polite and respectful I expect the same in return. Granted, most are OK with me, but not all and the moment I get a slightest sniff of their hostility and contempt I am out of there and there is no way I will give them a single Bhat.

Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

On a related issue, I took a watch to have a battery changed at a repair shop situated in a large shopping complex on Sukhumvit Road, South Pattaya. He charged me 250 baht for one with a year's guaranty. It stopped again a few hours later so I took it back and he refused to even look at it.

Three days ago I popped in there for some CR2032 batteries, Pointing at a blister pack of two I asked an assistant How much? -100baht. For the 2? -Each. No thanks and walked off... I checked UK prices over lunch, Argos do two Duracell for 4 quid or six Panasonic for 7 pounds. Tukcom booth had no-mark crap at UK prices. I was going to bite the bullet and go back to Tukcom when i tried a Big Camera store in Big C, 39baht for Energiser. I got four. No more Tukcom for me, i don't haggle and i'll get a reference price point before shopping next time. Even for some bloody batteries! Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

& 19p (10B) from Digikey tongue.png

Big Camera and myself agree on the transaction value being just at 39 baht.

If i miss out on a bargain such as the latest iPhone for 8000 baht at Digikey, or elsewhere, so be it!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Never liked Tukcom preferring BigC Nua, this has just confounded my choice not to go there unless absoloutly necessary. Interesting JT noticed something similar. This girl though made it plain it was for her time showing items.

That's OK if warned. I would decline. They aren't doing anything special showing their merch. Plenty of big stores to look for free.