Major evidence that low carb diets not needed for long term weight loss/maintenance success

Jingthing

By the time that carbs get into your bloodstream they have all been converted into glucose. Glucose is the only sugar found in the blood. All others such as fructose, lactose etc. are converted into glucose before they hit the bloodstream.

Ok I'm tired

I have my own health to look after.

Sorry wish I could have helped you

Goodnight and take care

By the time that carbs get into your bloodstream they have all been converted into glucose. Glucose is the only sugar found in the blood. All others such as fructose, lactose etc. are converted into glucose before they hit the bloodstream.

Ok I'm tired

Goodnight and take care

You cant help anyone because you never give any evidence you cant think for yourself you get things from sites and that is it. Others come with scientific proof. What sustento has posted here is the truth but you just don't buy into it because it does not suit your needs

• Like 1

That's the only diet that saves me.

If I don't eat like this I am sick

Believe me I would prefer eat French fries and chocolate all day

But as soon as I go astray my disease creeps back and it takes more time to get rid of it

Simple

Weight loss isjust extra

It is something different if you are sick or healthy. If you get problems with animal proteins than of course stay away from it.

That does not mean that the same counts for healthy people. And as well not all healthy people are the same.

Additional the human body is very flexible. My guess is if you don't eat processed supermarket-food, burgers, sweets, etc you are already a winner (I guess on that we agree). No matter if you eat mostly beef or only vegetables. Or say not eating the junk is 90 %. And we are only discussing the last 10 %

As if I dont like eating french fries and chocolate (actually had a bit yesterday). However I don't regularly eat it. I try to eat as healthy as possible low carb high proteins and it works for me and most people.

There are really few vegans that can compete in power sports like people who eat protein. You need loads of protein to build a muscular strong body. There are just a few exception and nobody knows how big and strong they would be if they use proteins.

But statistics dont lie vegans die early and vegans are not competing in top sports.

Again it's wrong.

I cannot believe you still hang on to that old myth about protein with ALL the stuffs I have sent you here over the months.

1/ Protein human needs are around 6 to 8%

2/ Above this is dangerous especially animal proteins

3/ there is no such thing as protein deficiency EVER unless you are undernourished.

Vegans don't die early, in fact Japan has the most oldest people in the world thanks to it's low protein/less meat diet.

Yes many vegan in athletism

Again videos are not allowed

First the most oldest people in Japan and Greece are recently in doubt, as some figures may come from cheating the pension system.....Letting the grandma alive 10 more years and pocket the money.....

Second: It is new to me that Japanese are vegan, as long as I know they eat plenty of fish.....

• Like 1

First the most oldest people in Japan and Greece are recently in doubt, as some figures may come from cheating the pension system.....Letting the grandma alive 10 more years and pocket the money.....

Second: It is new to me that Japanese are vegan, as long as I know they eat plenty of fish.....

I did not say they were vegan I said they ate less meat, and ate more seaweed and veggies than the rest of the world

Ok I'm tired

Goodnight and take care

You cant help anyone because you never give any evidence you cant think for yourself you get things from sites and that is it. Others come with scientific proof. What sustento has posted here is the truth but you just don't buy into it because it does not suit your needs

You never gave me anything.

I overloaded you with surveys, report, accounts, that you never bother to read.

What truth? Come and meet me instead of insulting me on a forum

I will show you my medical report, I could not walk two years ago because I was eating the wrong food.

Talking to you is a waste of time, you just want to "win"

Sorry I don't have time for this, I have to take care of my body

Edited by Kitsune

Ok I'm tired

Goodnight and take care

You never gave me anything.

I overloaded you with surveys, report, accounts, that you never bother to read.

You have given nothing but propaganda sites and gentic freaks. You are one of those people following quacks. You said going raw cures diabetic. This is one of your many outright lies. You CANNOT cure diabetic, you can control it by going low carbs or raw (though I havent seen proof but take your word for it) However its not a CURE because when you go back to carbs diabetic returns. You are probably not gifted with a high IQ.

You are using japan as an example.. they are not vegans.. we were talking about long live in vegans and you take a country that consumes loads of fish (protein) as an example. You really are not a bright light.

I think I am also not so bright because I continue to argue with you and I think arguing with a wall would be better. The only reason I argue with you is because others might believe your crap.

In the past I have proven that apes started eating meat and that this is why we evolved. It blows your vegan stuff away and you never countered it.

Fruitarian or fruitcake.. i wonder what the right name is.

Ok then what do you want me to do?

Do start eating meat dairy saturated fat and sugar again just to prove that I will die of it?

Each time I don't respect my diet I have PAIN

Do you understand that?

My body hurts, I have speech problems,memory loss, my joints ache, my muscle are painful

I have NO CHOICE but to do what my body dictates me to eat

Do start eating meat dairy saturated fat and sugar again just to prove that I will die of it?

Do you understand that?

My body hurts, I have speech problems,memory loss, my joints ache, my muscle are painful

I don't eat sugar, try to avoid it whenever I can. When I eat meat i eat quality meat without too much fat. I take tons of fish-oil and if possible fish (picky eater). The things is fruit is healthy but not for a diabetic and too much fruit can also be unhealthy (depending on what fruits but the real sugary fruits are bad). Remember the fruits that are available now were not available many years ago they came to be by selective breeding (the predecessor of genetic modification). So the reasoning that fruit is healthy because it comes from nature is not exactly true. Most fruits we have now were cultivated the biggest most sweet ones selected to breed with and of those they took again the sweetest / biggest ect ect.

Vegans can be healthy but so can meat eaters, in most research they take for meat eaters idiots that go to Mc Donalds that gobble up burgers and wash it away with coca cola or any other high carb drink. If they were to compare healthy meat eaters who do exercise and eat plenty of veggies and such too the statistics would be totally different. Many vegans are health concious, many meat eaters are not and drink loads of alcohol too. So its not just about meat its about the whole lifestyle.

But people like me and others that post here eat meat but make sure they eat all the healthy stuff like fruits and veggies too. They also exercise and myself almost never drink alcohol (just because i like to stay as lean as possible I am leaner as many athletes if i were to go to normal slim I could take a lot more food but I like how I am now and make some sacrifices for it). For many vegans its hard to get all the right stuff in their body because like it or not meat contains a lot of good stuff too. You are lucky to live in an age where you can almost live totally vegan. That was not the case long ago you would have died of nourishment problems because then the wide variety of foods were not available and without meat it would be done.

Now the pesco vegans who do eat fish came out even better as the strict vegans showing that animal proteins of fish proteins are real important.

If what you are doing is working for you then do it but do keep check on your blood sugar at times if you really consume loads of fruits. Currently I am in the Netherlands (till end of this week) and i eat loads of strawberries raspberries prunes grapes apples and blue berries, we bike around where i used to live (farming country) and buy it all straight from the farmer. Nothing wrong with eating fruits at all. But if i were to only eat fruits it would be a different story. I used to eat loads of oatmeal (considered a healthy grain) and guess what at some point my blood tests showed i was still safe but if i went on like that id become diabetic. I changed limiting my crabs (even the healthy oatmeal) and my blood test improved a lot.

When in Thailand I also eat lots of fruits and other stuff I even try to make vegetable juices with garlic / kalle / ginger / cucumber / tomato / carrot / bitter-gourd ect. I eat meat probably more as most 400 grams of it on a day is not unusual for me. But in general its lean or its chicken. You should understand not everyone who eats meat is unhealthy. Meat in a good diet can be quite good. You should also learn to read tests and understand that just because a test says meat eaters are worse of then vegans it does not necessarily come from the meat itself.

The latest test i read was about a group of vegans however these were of a christian sect / group (Seventh day Adventist). All sounds nice but being vegan was not the only difference between the two groups.

The Christians were married (also a thing that makes people live longer according to research)

They in general did not smoke and drink (also a reason to live longer)

Exercise more and were lighter in weight (all reason to live longer) (just being on a healthy weight helps you live a lot longer)

Now take a meat-eater that does not smoke or drink exercise a lot and is on a healthy and is health conscious and then do the test again.

You will get no argument from me that there are many people living unhealthy that eat meat but that does not automatically make meat unhealthy.

• Like 1

Do you understand that?

Very simply, we want you to stop trolling the forum. We respect that you have your own problems, which you constantly repeat as if we haven't heard them a thousand times already, but nobody really cares about them. Though they're probably psychosomatic, nobody else here seems to have those problems and nobody's asked for your advice about similar problems. This is just a lil' weight loss not PAIN forum for those overweight, so your personal obsession with, and constant attacks on, meat-eating (blaming it for all ailments, spouting nonsense) and subsequent constant bickering really have no place.

Your "solution" has been given a few hundred times already. Anybody interested can follow your prescription, and they're welcome to do so.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

LOL. Who's going to stop first? I'm glad I ended my debate with Ragz a few pages back.

This guy's the most fun we've had around here in a while, being such shadow boxer. But he doesn't seem as fanatical as the other vegan jihadist, so I think there may be hope of his seeing the light, if he can be led to think he found it himself.

Stars wise you have Woody harrelson, Michelle Pfeiffer, Bill Clinton, Elelen Degeneres, Jared Letho, Joachim phoenix, Mike Tyson

Ellen DeGeneres, right. wink.png Now, one of my favorite low-carb stars: Jessica Alba. Two kids already. No history of eating disorders like Banana Girl. Those of you who like bigger women, Kim Kardashian's waitin'. wink.png

jessica-alba-2-768.jpg

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

Do you understand that?

Very simply, we want you to stop trolling the forum. We respect that you have your own problems, which you constantly repeat as if we haven't heard them a thousand times already, but nobody really cares about them. Though they're probably psychosomatic, nobody else here seems to have those problems and nobody's asked for your advice about similar problems. This is just a lil' weight loss not PAIN forum for those overweight, so your personal obsession with, and constant attacks on, meat-eating (blaming it for all ailments, spouting nonsense) and subsequent constant bickering really have no place.

Your "solution" has been given a few hundred times already. Anybody interested can follow your prescription, and they're welcome to do so.

I think every opinion, even if I complete disagree with it, is an enrichment to the forum.

I think every opinion, even if I complete disagree with it, is an enrichment to the forum.

I have to agree but when people state you can cure diabetics, and that really is not true. You get into the quack watch terrain, however if the person can back up its claim with real science its a different story.

But you are right else there would not be a forum.

Ah yes Gary Taubes eternal question: ‘Why We Get Fat?’. I can provide one reason: BECAUSE WE ARE EATING MORE FAT.

SHOCK! None other than YOU can provide "one" reason! Alright then!

post-14882-0-72175900-1410260235_thumb.j

I'm sure that the NYT will be eager to publish your finding. Why haven't you submitted? Can't seem to find you in print. This should go over big in Chinese cultures--kinda like drinking snake blood enhances virility.

But then NYT might discover that what you think is your reason isn't actually a reason at all, despite the fine capital letters, but merely a little unsupported opinion just makin' you feel all warm & fuzzy. You wouldn't have (cough) failed to mention something, now would you have?

Suddenly my faith is affirmed in Harvard & Stanford, whence Taubes took technical degrees before publishing his extremely well-researched books to challenge the ol' status quo. smile.png

And I could easily do a Google search and find plenty of people talking about how low carb diets have ruined their health, gave them constipation, gave them headaches, increased their cholesterol etc etc. So. Boring.

But you see despite this impressive search ability, you just couldn't find anything negative on--of all things--fruitarianism. wink.png Lemme help ya some more, man:

Success Stories

Most inspiring, I say! I hope forum members needing help go there and read about others who've done so remarkably well on low-carb. smile.png

I would ask you to supply proof that Durianrider has high triglycerides, and high LDL, and no B12 in his blood tests, but I have to work, and since I make considerably more than 500 baht per hour it is not worth my time to continue going in circles with you. smile.png

But, alas, you've already used up your share of the charitable spoon feeding allocated for the learning impaired! So you'll have to find it yourself. Not to worry: among your skills, we've learned, you can "easily do a Google search." Heh. If you manage to do so successfully in this case, you'll come back to point out that, ah ha! his HDL is looking pretty good. And I'll simply reply that with the insane amount of exercise he does, it should be even higher. But nobody here is going to be imitating that, so it's irrelevant.

Now, since you brought it up, I can't understand why you have such low "earning power" that you're still, uh, working? Must be, according to your standards, some unacknowledged problem about "open mind" and ability "to learn something?" Me, I retired to the beach early. Low stress--it's so good for one's health too.

Cheers! biggrin.png

PS: Women's Health--it's a start for ya, man. Denise Minger--when she's relevant on a specific point I'm discussing, I'll bring her in, as I have re: The China Study and her book Death By Food Pyramid. I don't follow her daily as she writes too much about herself that one has to wade through. You wanna bring her in on something, as you have, go right ahead. But you're shadow boxing again . . . .

Edited by JSixpack

In the past I have proven that apes started eating meat and that this is why we evolved. It blows your vegan stuff away and you never countered it.

LOL, this reminds me of something I heard on BBC a few weeks ago. They were discussing the monkeys of Gibraltar and how they are becoming a public nuisance.

They were saying that if you give the monkey a choice of a Mars bar or a banana, they choose the Mars bar.

Even the monkeys seem to have lost their natural instinct to eat healthy, if such an instinct ever existed.

LOL, this reminds me of something I heard on BBC a few weeks ago. They were discussing the monkeys of Gibraltar and how they are becoming a public nuisance.

They were saying that if you give the monkey a choice of a Mars bar or a banana, they choose the Mars bar.

Even the monkeys seem to have lost their natural instinct to eat healthy, if such an instinct ever existed.

I think they just eat what is available, but there are plenty of documentaries that show chimps going after small gazelles even hunting them (usually scavenging).

And what is wrong with monkeys choosing chocolate biggrin.png its one of the few things I can always eat (so I dont buy it)

Edited by robblok

No the monkeys instinct is complete right.

If you don't have enough food, the Mars bar provides you more energy than the banana.

We are all optimized for shortage of food and shortage of high quality food (good protein, lots of fat and carbs).

I think they just eat what is available,

No, the point is they choose the Mars bar instead of the banana when both are available. They don't take a moment to think "now which is better for my health".

I'm pretty sure humans are the only animals who think about their health and how long they are going to live. What a burden that is to basic enjoyment of life.

Ah yes Gary Taubes eternal question: ‘Why We Get Fat?’. I can provide one reason: BECAUSE WE ARE EATING MORE FAT.

SHOCK! None other than YOU can provide "one" reason! Alright then!

attachicon.gifThird_Eye_by_Mikhail_G.jpg

I'm sure that the NYT will be eager to publish your finding. Why haven't you submitted? Can't seem to find you in print. This should go over big in Chinese cultures--kinda like drinking snake blood enhances virility.

But then NYT might discover that what you think is your reason isn't actually a reason at all, despite the fine capital letters, but merely a little unsupported opinion just makin' you feel all warm & fuzzy. You wouldn't have (cough) failed to mention something, now would you have?

Suddenly my faith is affirmed in Harvard & Stanford, whence Taubes took technical degrees before publishing his extremely well-researched books to challenge the ol' status quo. smile.png

And I could easily do a Google search and find plenty of people talking about how low carb diets have ruined their health, gave them constipation, gave them headaches, increased their cholesterol etc etc. So. Boring.

But you see despite this impressive search ability, you just couldn't find anything negative on--of all things--fruitarianism. wink.png Lemme help ya some more, man:

Success Stories

Most inspiring, I say! I hope forum members needing help go there and read about others who've done so remarkably well on low-carb. smile.png

I would ask you to supply proof that Durianrider has high triglycerides, and high LDL, and no B12 in his blood tests, but I have to work, and since I make considerably more than 500 baht per hour it is not worth my time to continue going in circles with you. smile.png

But, alas, you've already used up your share of the charitable spoon feeding allocated for the learning impaired! So you'll have to find it yourself. Not to worry: among your skills, we've learned, you can "easily do a Google search." Heh. If you manage to do so successfully in this case, you'll come back to point out that, ah ha! his HDL is looking pretty good. And I'll simply reply that with the insane amount of exercise he does, it should be even higher. But nobody here is going to be imitating that, so it's irrelevant.

Now, since you brought it up, I can't understand why you have such low "earning power" that you're still, uh, working? Must be, according to your standards, some unacknowledged problem about "open mind" and ability "to learn something?" Me, I retired to the beach early. Low stress--it's so good for one's health too.

Cheers! biggrin.png

PS: Women's Health--it's a start for ya, man. Denise Minger--when she's relevant on a specific point I'm discussing, I'll bring her in, as I have re: The China Study and her book Death By Food Pyramid. I don't follow her daily as she writes too much about herself that one has to wade through. You wanna bring her in on something, as you have, go right ahead. But you're shadow boxing again . . . .

Cant believe I just got into a flame war on the internet over diet, this is absurd. I believe the Gary Taubes diet will lead to heart disease and I believe he uses his data selectively and deceptively, you don’t. I have found something that works for me and so have you apparently. So enjoy your bacon and your beach retirement, for me it’s still hard work and potatoes, which isn’t so bad either. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Ragz

I think they just eat what is available, but there are plenty of documentaries that show chimps going after small gazelles even hunting them (usually scavenging).

And what is wrong with monkeys choosing chocolate biggrin.png its one of the few things I can always eat (so I dont buy it)

Just a small calrification here guys. Humans did not evolve from apes and we are not related to monkeys.

5-8 million years ago apes and humans had a common ancestor one line evolved into modern day apes and one line evolved into modern day humans

Just a small calrification here guys. Humans did not evolve from apes and we are not related to monkeys.

5-8 million years ago apes and humans had a common ancestor one line evolved into modern day apes and one line evolved into modern day humans

But for our eyes this ancestor would look similar to apes....some of us still look like apes.....laugh.png

Edited by h90

I believe the Gary Taubes diet will lead to heart disease

But contrary to that belief, the evidence now suggests that it won't but rather that high carb diets are much more likely to, along with obesity and diabetes. Low carb also been shown more effective for weight loss and maintenance than most other common diet plans.

and I believe he uses his data selectively and deceptively, you don’t.

It's only commendable that Taubes selected data other researchers ignored or misinterpreted in support of his case. As for "deceptively," you've had ample opportunity to make that case, but you couldn't. Rather, you simply were able to understand neither the point he was making nor the really important implications of that point. Your trying to rewrite what he says to make some other point matching your own beliefs--for which no data at all has been selected and proven significant--is what's actually deceptive. So I'd draw the contrast as one between belief based on science and one based on faith.

For those members wishing more depth about Taubes, a few links:

http://garytaubes.com/

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gary+taubes

Kindred spirits:

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health

Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers

Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease

A Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual: No Sugar, No Starch Diet

New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great.

I have found something that works for me and so have you apparently. So enjoy your bacon and your beach retirement, for me it’s still hard work and potatoes, which isn’t so bad either. thumbsup.gif

I will, thank you--countin' all them calories is hard work--and continue to advise others to do the same, as low carb works so well and is based on better science than that of the ol' calories in/calories out. We've had some happy conversions here from formerly overweight or insulin resistant forum members who had found that high carb doesn't work for them.

Don't forget the pasta & pizza, man. And do remember the reference I gave you above:

Why Can Some People Eat Anything They Want and Never Gain a Pound?

Edited by JSixpack

I will, thank you--countin' all them calories is hard work--and continue to advise others to do the same, as low carb works so well and is based on better science than that of the ol' calories in/calories out. We've had some happy conversions here from formerly overweight or insulin resistant forum members who had found that high carb doesn't work for them.

Don't forget the pasta & pizza, man. And do remember the reference I gave you above:

Counting calories? Whose counting calories? I eat as many calories as I want. I certainly don’t try and achieve a calorie deficit if that’s what you are saying. Nor do I buy into the concept of burning more calories than I consume, I am in agreement with Taubes on this. I don't really know of anyone doing a plant based diet that is trying to achieve a calorie deficit but perhaps they are out there.

And pasta and pizza? Two high fat foods (via the sauces and cheese) filled with processed refined carbs, even the vegan varieties. I will eat some brown rice pasta on occasion with no oil pasta sauce and filled with veggies, but generally I stay away from refined carbs. These are totally different foods from whole plant foods like tubers or minimally processed foods like brown rice and legumes.

• Like 1

Counting calories? Whose counting calories? I eat as many calories as I want. I certainly don’t try and achieve a calorie deficit if that’s what you are saying. Nor do I buy into the concept of burning more calories than I consume, I am in agreement with Taubes on this. I don't really know of anyone doing a plant based diet that is trying to achieve a calorie deficit but perhaps they are out there.

And pasta and pizza? Two high fat foods (via the sauces and cheese) filled with processed refined carbs, even the vegan varieties. I will eat some brown rice pasta on occasion with no oil pasta sauce and filled with veggies, but generally I stay away from refined carbs. These are totally different foods from whole plant foods like tubers or minimally processed foods like brown rice and legumes.

Specially a pizza can be made relative healthy. Wholewheat powder. No fat in the "bread" part. Good quality cheese (still fat but you don't need tons of it). Still it is rich in carbohydrates, but a too bad food. Just what Pizza House and Pizza Company sells is a complete different story (high on cheap refined carbs, sugar, fat and chemicals that trick you to eat more (MSG)).

To loose weight you need to eat less calories as you burn, there is no way around it. It seems different on a no carb diet, because you automatically eat less (seems it is so extreme that some regulation is overdoing its job). Or if you eat just high fiber plant based died (which also needs some efforts to extract the energy out of it) you may also eat less than you use, as you would need to eat buckets full of vegetables (with some exceptions) to get enough energy out of it, as we aren't designed for it.

In some situation you also get inefficient....convert amino acids to sugar and the sugar to fat, won't happen much.

So both the diet of a cat or a goat will reduce the bodyweight easily....but still because eat use more than you eat (or digest).

• 2 years later...

It's so clear that low carbs diets are good for everybody that it seems even stupid to talk about it !

Actually I should rather say low carbs lifestyle, not diet.

We eat too much carbs and it is useless. Just reduce it.

Edited by bberrythailand

4 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

It's so clear that low carbs diets are good for everybody that it seems even stupid to talk about it !

Actually I should rather say low carbs lifestyle, not diet.

We eat too much carbs and it is useless. Just reduce it.

Nope, it's not stupid to talk about it.

It used to be people thought low fat foods were really helping.

Of course the main cause of fat is eating high fat foods.

But that was not the case ... 

22 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

We got many of the unwashed coming to post here who are still misinformed and need help. Also on occasion an expert blowhard nutritionist will burst on the scene and needs correction.

And then we sometimes have details to discuss about the practice of low-carb dieting.

The most important distinction is good carbs vs bad carbs. 

Good carbs are important for optimal health, digestion, regulating glucose levels, and getting that full up feeling.

So porridge oats are great, whereas sugary refined cereals should be reserved for the occasional treat.  Spuds are great but often maligned.

For the first time in my life I have been regularly eating higher amounts of fruit (all colours, and particularly berries).  The effect on my health has been marked.

My step-daughter has lost weight by merely reducing what she eats, and eating more fruit instead of cakes.

My friend has lost 15 kilos so far by hight intensity training and quitting cakes, etc.  He takes the odd day off and stuffs himself silly.

I know that losing weight is particularly difficult for some, but in the main it is eating wholesome food and exercising.

Edited by mommysboy